Jets looking to trade # 3 for draft haul

LockeJET

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26096968/jets-looking-deal-no-3-pick-draft-haul

INDIANAPOLIS -- One year after making a blockbuster trade to move up in the draft, the New York Jets are willing to go in reverse if the price is right.

General manager Mike Maccagnan, speaking to reporters Wednesday at the NFL scouting combine, put a "For Sale" sign on the Jets' pick, third overall.

"Right now, we feel good at No. 3, but I'd definitely say if there's an opportunity to trade down, we would absolutely look at it," he said.

The Jets, with many holes on their roster, would love to recoup the draft capital they spent last March. To jump from sixth to third, where they selected quarterback Sam Darnold, they sent three second-round picks to the Indianapolis Colts.

This time, they hope a quarterback-hungry team is eager to jump up the way they did a year ago. One of those teams could be the New York Giants, who, coincidentally, own the sixth pick.

The local rivals haven't made a trade since 1983 -- and that was only a minor transaction -- but Maccagnan said he wouldn't rule out any team.

"Yeah, I think I would be open to any team that would," he said, when asked specifically about the Giants. "As long as the trade made sense to us, there's nothing that would stop us from doing that."

The Jets called the Giants during the 2016 draft about a potential trade-up, but their offer fell short of the Giants' asking price. A year ago, they never contacted the Giants, who picked second and chose running back Saquon Barkley. The Jets assumed the Giants would have demanded their 2019 first-round pick, and they didn't want to part with it.

If they stay at three, the Jets would have their choice of defensive end Nick Bosa, defensive tackle Quinnen Williams or outside linebacker Josh Allen, the consensus top non-quarterbacks in the draft.

Maccagnan acknowledged the Jets might be better off with multiple picks instead of one high pick.

"If we end up picking a player at three, we'll feel really good," he said. "If there's an opportunity for us to move back and acquire more picks, that's something we'd definitely be potentially interested in. It would have to be the right kind of deal, but I definitely wouldn't rule anything out at this point in time."

Unfortunately for the Jets, there aren't as many quarterback-needy teams and top quarterback prospects as a year ago, so the market might not be robust. Dwayne Haskins and Kyler Murray are considered the only potential top-10 picks at the position. Still, Maccagnan is hopeful.

"If there are teams out there looking to go chase a quarterback," he said, "I think we're in a pretty good position to be in. I don't necessarily like how we got the third pick, but it's a good pick to have."

2 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Just our luck no elite QBs in this draft. I think the Jets could wind up swapping their 3 for a 6 or 7 and pick up a second round pick and a 5th and have to be happy with that. 

One of the two Murray or Haskins will go in the top 3

37 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

One of the two Murray or Haskins will go in the top 3

Jmo I think pick number 4 will be the position teams trade up for the Qb. The First three teams want a lot to move back, where the Raiders will take less.( probably just cost the Giants number 6 pick, and  a third rounder to move up two positions. 

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

Jmo I think pick number 4 will be the position teams trade up for the Qb. The First three teams want a lot to move back, where the Raiders will take less.( probably just cost the Giants number 6 pick, and  a third rounder to move up two positions. 

LOL, too typical.

Well, that does it. We will get the Kings ransom at 3!!

Yeah but if the Jets play it off like they have a trading partner then the interested teams have to trade up to 3. ?

21 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Yeah but if the Jets play it off like they have a trading partner then the interested teams have to trade up to 3. ?

Yep.  First day of the combine Jets have announced #3 is for sale.  There won't be a trade now, but there will be a few discussions.

In a few weeks it will be leaked that there are several teams "very interested".

I keep seeing people comment to the effect of trading our number 3 for a combination of picks and/or players excluding getting a 1st rounder next year.

Yes I realize we did it last year to the colts. But that was actually the exception not the rule , or more specifically not the value.

I do not understand  how we trade the pick away with out at minimum a 1st round this year and next year.

Change my mind.

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Yep.  First day of the combine Jets have announced #3 is for sale.  There won't be a trade now, but there will be a few discussions.

In a few weeks it will be leaked that there are several teams "very interested".

Thats exactly how you play it! You scare other teams into thinking you possibly have a deal in place but if you Mr. GM want the 3 right now make us a good offer and lets get it done. Hopefully the top QBs look really good at this combine further strengthening our position.

15 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I keep seeing people comment to the effect of trading our number 3 for a combination of picks and/or players excluding getting a 1st rounder next year.

Yes I realize we did it last year to the colts. But that was actually the exception not the rule , or more specifically not the value.

I do not understand  how we trade the pick away with out at minimum a 1st round this year and next year.

Change my mind.

snyf_637595483_th_43.jpg

See Above: that's why.

i think i'd be very surprised if the jets got the same as the colts got last year for the third pick.  all jokes about mac not knowing how to draft second rounders aside, 2 seconds this season plus a second next season would be a great deal as long as they stayed in the top 10 or so.

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Change my mind.

They’re not taking an offensive player at 3 and should help Darnold. With no 2nd rounder there’s no opportunity to do that until the third. Second round looks pretty strong this year. Roster needs help now. Guys you draft this year get to grow with Darnold too.

Standing pat and taking Bosa or Allen would be fine but it’s a long wait after that.

9 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Is it just me or is Shurmur Todd Bowles 2.0?

Nobody will ever be anywhere near as bad as Bowles. Shurmur was given a complete pile of dog shi! Giants were a horrible team in 17, and would have first overall pick Shame if not for the Ofer and 16 browns. Eli had a not so terrible yr last yr, but he was pretty bad in 17. They are stuck in qb hell, I’m just glad they didn’t take darnold ha

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i think i'd be very surprised if the jets got the same as the colts got last year for the third pick.  all jokes about mac not knowing how to draft second rounders aside, 2 seconds this season plus a second next season would be a great deal as long as they stayed in the top 10 or so.

Can’t we pay another team’s gm to draft for us ? Maybe Mac can  bug other teams draft rooms, could be worth the risk ?‍♂️

13 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Just our luck no elite QBs in this draft. I think the Jets could wind up swapping their 3 for a 6 or 7 and pick up a second round pick and a 5th and have to be happy with that. 

However, there are teams that are in need of young QBs that don't pick that far behind us but would be out of reach to get the top QB prospect. So as long as there are a couple of intriguing QBs with 'Franchise' potential, the Jets are in the mix for a trade down. Remember, Mahomes was not considered an 'elite' QB prospect, or maybe he was but before the draft he was behind Watson and Trubisky, and he ended up going 10th after KC traded up for him. KC was simply overtaken by his unlimited potential and they rolled the dice.

So 'elite' is relative. Is K.Murray and 'elite' QB prospect? Maybe. But I guarantee you that once the draft rolls around there will be teams picking put side of the top 3 exploring the possibility of moving up into the top 3 to get him. I think same goes for Haskins. Who I think IS more so a traditional 'elite' QB prospects, just by looking at his measurables and production. 

Giants, Jags, Den, Cinci, Mia, Wash. All it takes is a few of these teams to be infatuated with the prospect of drafting Murray or Haskins. 

As much talk as there has been about the Giants not dealing with the Jets, I think Haskins is EXACTLY the type of guy they would covet. And I think they are picking in a spot where they are not so far to have to give up an insane amount to get him but not so close that they can afford to wait- as their QB needy teams will potentially want to jump them. Or, the Raiders may just decide to take him at 4, considering all the draft picks they have. 

As I've said before, trading down to 6 and taking J.Williams would be an ideal scenario for the Jets. IMHO.   

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

I have no interest in any of the players rumored to go top 5, so I would happily trade down and take less than we give.

You have no interest in J.Allen, J.Bosa, Q.Williams, G.Williams, J.Williams? Those guys probably wont ALL go in the top 5 but they are certainly in the running. 

I would be happy with any one of those guys. 

Archived