Barr to the Jets, or not

playtowinthegame

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, cant wait said:

yeah $17M for flowers is crazy. he isn’t that good 

His production was essentially identical to Jordan Jenkins’ last season. He just had a really good postseason and cashed in bigtime, same as Trent Brown.

I was all in favor of bringing him in for $10-12 million a year but $17...that’s just insane. Paying a guy who averages 6-7 sacks a season like he’s Von Miller or JJ Watt.

9 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

His production was essentially identical to Jordan Jenkins’ last season. He just had a really good postseason and cashed in bigtime, same as Trent Brown.

I was all in favor of bringing him in for $10-12 million a year but $17...that’s just insane. Paying a guy who averages 6-7 sacks a season like he’s Von Miller or JJ Watt.

brown getting the record contract for an OL is bonkers. the pats OL play is wildly inflated due to the rampant holding and cheating

35 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Just watched your Crowder vid a little while ago. You forgot to mention Andre Roberts as the PR last year. Unless you are assuming he's gone of course.  I almost commented but I figured I'd leave your page alone over there. Come back here to get sh*t on. It's a more appropriate setting.  lol

Good vid!  

haha I feel like I saw Cannon back there muffing punts all the time. Either way I like the Crowder move from an age standpoint (Roberts 31 - Crowder 26)

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He only just turned 26. Very nice. It’s rare to get a cornerstone piece in free agency, but Barr is about as close as you can get in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

A perfect storm in Minnesota- a top 10 pick played out his rookie contract and they couldn’t resign him due to their great drafting and need to lock guys like Harrison Smith but then them going all in on K Cousins.  

That’s twice Cousins has helped us out

Not a big fan of building through FA at all. I think it is the wrong way to develop a team. That said it seems like we have added some good talent, but we still need to develop depth. If we get Mosley too can't imagine we keep Lee and will likely look to trade Leo. Still lots of work to be done on the OL. Not sure if todays signings move the bar all that much but we will see. Really need to trade down in the draft. Hopefully we pass on Bell but seems we are only main suitor. My guy tells me he will be a terrible signing. I just think he will just cash a check after he gets paid. We learned nothing from Mevi$

2 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

They didn't give him his 5th year, so he'll be a FA next season if they don't cut him. All they have to gain cap wise about 2 million.

I thought they had all of this upcoming season to decide if they wanted to exercise his 5th year option or let him walk. Was there a deadline for this that passed already? 

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Skrine is signed but as far as I know no one wants any of our other players as of right now. 

I only saw the headline so I didnt see what the $ was, but I can't believe the Bears gave him a 3 year deal. I feel like Skrine somehow has a rep around the league of being significantly better than he really is. I wanted to throw my remote everytime the announcers would compliment him throughout the season. 

Wasnt Chi the team that let a solid slot corner walk this off season? I remember people discussing a CB the Jets should look at. I feel like he was from Chi but I'm not sure 

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I think Lee is getting cut

Which is a good thing 

I'd be pissed about another wasted first round pick but outside of that I won't be crying if Lee gets cut but I dont think he is making much this year. I could be wrong but I think we still have him on the cheap and I wouldnt cut him if that's the case. 

Yeah, I just checked and he is making less than 3.2 this year. As of now, he is a free agent next year pending their use/not use of his 5th year option. We already spent a 1st round pick on the guy. He makes nothing this year. I doubt they are going to be strapped for cap space going into the summer. I see no reason to cut him, even if they sign Mosley. See what Williams can do with him. Maybe he'll find a way to get some pass rush production out of him. Worst case scenario you dont pick up his option and let him walk next year

I dont think its necessary to cut him this offseason. 

3 hours ago, choon328 said:

You may see Leo traded if they sign Mosley. That's $14 million right there. I know they don't play the same position but that may feel he's not necessary after those signings

I understand what you're saying now. We weren't talking about this failed first round pick, we were talking about the OTHER failed first round pick ??

I hope to God they do something with that line and Greg Williams can find a way to maybe scheme differently and get some production out of Leo. Although to be honest, if Leo comes up with 10+ sacks this year I'm going to be petrified of a Mo Wilk situation. It would almost be better for my stress is Leo continues to be solid but not great and we end up being able to sign him for a solid, not great contract. But God knows that's not realistic in this league. There is always a Raiders and Redskins to F the market. (Imagine what's in Adams mind after seeing the Collins contract?)

4 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Seriously, what is he suppose to do?

You don't like his previous signings, and you don't like him as a GM.  So, he goes out and spends the money he has and you accuse him of just trying to save his job and question what on paper have been great moves so far.  Flipside, if he doesn't spend the money, you would be ragging on him for wasting all the money in the war chest.

We get it; some of you guys hate Mac no matter what he does.  Can we NOT just enjoy the FA period?  Just pretend that all the signings are good.  You have all season to complain about how bad a team we have.

IMO Mac is facilitating in getting the pieces that he...Gace...and Gregg Williams, and their staffs, have collectively agreed upon, as a result of various film evaluations and meetings. 

Lol...you don't bring in a new HC-CS and then expect them to be sitting on their hands hoping Mac knows what he's doing and gets it right.  They wouldn't have come here if that was the deal.  .

It's mostly a Their decision...a They decision. And not the dictatorial decisions of a despotic Mac!  This is Gace and Gregg's honeymoon season. And Mac aims to please.

Of course you may disagree with whatever they do.  But they're doing what I hoped they would do. Grab the pieces they feel are needed in order to win now. To get Darnold into the playoffs ASAP! And then again the next year...and the year after that. And so on.  In the hope the Jets can land in the Supe before they have to pay Darnold $30-35 mil a season.  They'll be no big spending binges after that contract sets in.  It can only be done for the next couple of years.  It's important right now to bring in quality veterans for Darnold and the D. As I said before...some of these signings may be no more then necessary bridge players that may be around for no more then a couple of years.  So it's Mac's responsibility to structure these contracts to limit dead money and when you have to cut them.

In the end...Mac definitely has to step up in the Drafts.  He needs to bring in starters on the cheap too. To coincide with Darnolds rookie contact.

This is the most excited I've been about an upcoming season in quite a while. 

Mac...Gace...Gregg...get it right...get it done!

5 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

Mac is going all out to get Jets and Darnold into the playoffs this year

Taking advantage of the 4 year window left...to hoist the Lombardy Trophy...with a franchise QB still on a cheap rookie contract.  

This is what I wanted...and this is what I think Mac is doing.

Gooo for it Mac baby!

This is exactly my thought.  Then when it's time for these contracts to expire Sam gets his re-up and hopefully they have young cheap guys to come in and replace these FAs.

5 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

So what's the fix Carl?  Do nothing?  Keep the $100 million in a war chest?  Mac has made many mistakes.  But he has gone out and got a pro-bowl guard, a decent slot receiver, and one of the top LBer's on the market...and free agency hasn't even technically started!  Are three starters bandaids now?  What exactly has to be done to pull the bandaids off and say the wound is fixed? 

No one will argue Mac has to draft better.  If that doesn't happen this year, he may very well be gone.  But I think it is fair to give credit where it is due.  The guy has gone out and filled three holes so far with about the best possible prospects that are on the market. 

The fix is and was always to fire the GM. Period. Since the organization failed to hold him responsible, it is our jobs as fans to remain vigilant and vocal about the way he is going about his business. I don’t believe that you can build a long term winner through free agency. He overpaid for Crowder because his drafting of WRs has been abysmal. He traded assets for a guard coming off his worst season and an injury because he’s ignored the offensive line for four years. He signed a pass rusher who has played out of position for five years and now hopes the overrated defensive coordinator they hired can put him in the best position to succeed even though he’s failed at that with several other players in the past. 

If you want to give Macc credit for doing the bare minimum go ahead. But the results the last four years and the talent on this roster speaks for itself. 

The fix is and was always to fire the GM. Period. Since the organization failed to hold him responsible, it is our jobs as fans to remain vigilant and vocal about the way he is going about his business. I don’t believe that you can build a long term winner through free agency. He overpaid for Crowder because his drafting of WRs has been abysmal. He traded assets for a guard coming off his worst season and an injury because he’s ignored the offensive line for four years. He signed a pass rusher who has played out of position for five years and now hopes the overrated defensive coordinator they hired can put him in the best position to succeed even though he’s failed at that with several other players in the past. 
If you want to give Macc credit for doing the bare minimum go ahead. But the results the last four years and the talent on this roster speaks for itself. 

Dude we gave a 5th and a 6th for a former pro bowl guard coming off an injury they basically handed him to us to dump salary. I also think we gave too much to crowder but the fact is that we have to overpay everyone in part because we are a bad team (fair to blame Macc at this point) and in part because our taxes are high mostly though it is because the cap goes up every year and the players association is aggressive and most players want to get every bit of money They can find (who wouldnt). We have spent alot of money already but have also locked up some pretty decent talents in the process and truth be told free agency hasn't even begun.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Not a big fan of building through FA at all. I think it is the wrong way to develop a team. That said it seems like we have added some good talent, but we still need to develop depth. If we get Mosley too can't imagine we keep Lee and will likely look to trade Leo. Still lots of work to be done on the OL. Not sure if todays signings move the bar all that much but we will see. Really need to trade down in the draft. Hopefully we pass on Bell but seems we are only main suitor. My guy tells me he will be a terrible signing. I just think he will just cash a check after he gets paid. We learned nothing from Mevi$

we signed 2 LBs superior to our current LBs who are not Avery.

4 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

IMO Mac is facilitating in getting the pieces that he...Gace...and Gregg Williams, and their staffs, have collectively agreed upon, as a result of various film evaluations and meetings. 

Lol...you don't bring in a new HC-CS and then expect them to be sitting on their hands hoping Mac knows what he's doing and gets it right.  They wouldn't have come here if that was the deal.  .

It's mostly a Their decision...a They decision. And not the dictatorial decisions of a despotic Mac!  This is Gace and Gregg's honeymoon season. And Mac aims to please.

Of course you may disagree with whatever they do.  But they're doing what I hoped they would do. Grab the pieces they feel are needed in order to win now. To get Darnold into the playoffs ASAP! And then again the next year...and the year after that. And so on.  In the hope the Jets can land in the Supe before they have to pay Darnold $30-35 mil a season.  They'll be no big spending binges after that contract sets in.  It can only be done for the next couple of years.  It's important right now to bring in quality veterans for Darnold and the D. As I said before...some of these signings may be no more then necessary bridge players that may be around for no more then a couple of years.  So it's Mac's responsibility to structure these contracts to limit dead money and when you have to cut them.

In the end...Mac definitely has to step up in the Drafts.  He needs to bring in starters on the cheap too. To coincide with Darnolds rookie contact.

This is the most excited I've been about an upcoming season in quite a while. 

Mac...Gace...Gregg...get it right...get it done!

Good analysis. Liking what we’ve seen so far. Not sure why the Leo hate though. He’s perfect for the defense they are building.

10 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Seriously, what is he suppose to do?

You don't like his previous signings, and you don't like him as a GM.  So, he goes out and spends the money he has and you accuse him of just trying to save his job and question what on paper have been great moves so far.  Flipside, if he doesn't spend the money, you would be ragging on him for wasting all the money in the war chest.

We get it; some of you guys hate Mac no matter what he does.  Can we NOT just enjoy the FA period?  Just pretend that all the signings are good.  You have all season to complain about how bad a team we have.

I actually don’t hate mac, but based on his background, as well as gase and williams, I don’t put much stock into their opinions on players.  When Williams and Gase were head coaches, their teams sucked and were talent deprived.  They had their best results when they had little to no input into players. Not sure that is who i want to rely on.

That, and the fact that the positions they spent money on are not premium positions, it just doesn’t give me a lot of hope for positive results.

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The cold hard truth. Some can't handle it.

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

we signed 2 LBs superior to our current LBs who are not Avery.

At close to $30 million a year. LOTS of opportunity cost there for a position that was not especially weak.  1/3 of our cap on linebacker? Not convinced we are better.

Archived