Jon Toth: Possible answer at center?

Copernicus

Harrison’s deal makes him cuttable after ‘19, essentially a one year deal. Its between him and Toth to start.

I’m sure they’ll sign a vet for camp in case of injury or if Harrison and Toth both suck. But I think they feel comfortable enough with Harrison (who played good last year).

They must have a couple guys in rounds 3 or 4 that they feel about drafting this year who can start this year or 2020.

9 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Harrison’s deal makes him cuttable after ‘19, essentially a one year deal. Its between him and Toth to start.

I’m sure they’ll sign a vet for camp in case of injury or if Harrison and Toth both suck. But I think they feel comfortable enough with Harrison (who played good last year).

They must have a couple guys in rounds 3 or 4 that they feel about drafting this year who can start this year or 2020.

If we draft a guy in 3/4 this year I would bet the ranch he starts.

2 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

At this point the logical move for the Jets would be to sign a veteran, draft a kid in rd 3, and let both of them compete with Harrison and Toth for the job. 

The point that was being made on the podcast was tha Toth was a great option because of his ability and so cost efficient. Toth would make the minimum and if he pans out, the Jets would control his low salary for many years as opposed to the other options. 

2 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

They could sign Josh Sitton who has experience playing center, knows Gase's offense (would help Darnold), shouldn't cost a lot and if he does lose the center battle, he would be good as a backup guard.

This, or Wisniewski and no hurry.

I can’t believe that he’s plan A.

Haha. He’s not plan A. He’s just a potential
Part of the overall plan. I’ll tell ya if sound sure be killer to have him come out if the woods and have an impact.
No reason he can’t. We have an upper tier o line coaching group now too. That will help.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Haha. He’s not plan A. He’s just a potential
Part of the overall plan. I’ll tell ya if sound sure be killer to have him come out if the woods and have an impact.
No reason he can’t. We have an upper tier o line coaching group now too. That will help.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This was the point imade about Toth. That in many cases OLine / Center is a position where you can find a diamond in the rough. Maybe we did not go full throttle on Paridis and  Morse because Gase sees something in Toth and is more cost efficient? 

26 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

This was the point imade about Toth. That in many cases OLine / Center is a position where you can find a diamond in the rough. Maybe we did not go full throttle on Paridis and  Morse because Gase sees something in Toth and is more cost efficient? 

Do you really think Gase has had any chance to watch tape on this kid?

of course not. They’re going to grab a vet at cut downs or still sign a FA

2 hours ago, Copernicus said:

That's possible. It would be fantastic if he could be that diamond in the rough you mentioned.  I'd still like to see some more potential quality brought in. Someone no later than the 3rd would be my thought. If we could trade back with the Giants and get int he 2nd or their two firsts, Id love a higher rated C with one of those picks. 

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Why is it so crazy to think that since Gase became HC that he didn't watch tape of each option he has at such an important position like center? 

8 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Why is it so crazy to think that since Gase became HC that he didn't watch tape of each option he has at such an important position like center? 

He’s a practice squad player. What tape? From college? He’s only been the coach for what... 3 weeks?

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Wrong. At this point Gase has seen every single Jets play from 2017 and 2018 and has watched college tape on every young player we have. Extensively.

17 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Wrong. At this point Gase has seen every single Jets play from 2017 and 2018 and has watched college tape on every young player we have. Extensively.

LOL! So in 64 days he has come to Ny to accept the job, meet with media, finding a house and make sure family will be ok, hire coaching staff, prepare for FA and you’re telling me he has had time to watch video of every 2017/2018 play AND   watch “College tape on every young player we have EXTENSIVELY

OK!! ?

27 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

LOL! So in 64 days he has come to Ny to accept the job, meet with media, finding a house and make sure family will be ok, hire coaching staff, prepare for FA and you’re telling me he has had time to watch video of every 2017/2018 play AND   watch “College tape on every young player we have EXTENSIVELY

OK!! ?

The truthful answer is no. To think that position coaches have not been reviewing the talent on the team and giving input would be inaccurate to assume.Think Gase has a better feel for the talent levels of his players tan you may realize or admit to.

12 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

The truthful answer is no. To think that position coaches have not been reviewing the talent on the team and giving input would be inaccurate to assume.Think Gase has a better feel for the talent levels of his players tan you may realize or admit to.

I accept the withdrawal of your statement. They did not pass on Paradis/Morse due to Toth. It was a financial decision made with the draft upcoming and other players being let go. They feel than can get a comparable player for much less money or in the draft.

Case closed.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

He’s a practice squad player. What tape? From college? He’s only been the coach for what... 3 weeks?

6 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

42 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

OK!! ?

At this point they move back into round 2 or draft a plug and play Center in round 3.

No way Harrison starts week one, unless something goes very wrong. I look at the money Paradis got and think he must be still injured, and that scared off the Jets.

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

At this point they move back into round 2 or draft a plug and play Center in round 3.

No way Harrison starts week one, unless something goes very wrong. I look at the money Paradis got and think he must be still injured, and that scared off the Jets.

Elway said a couple of days ago that in addition to rehabbing the broken leg, Paradis has some ankle issues that are concerning. So yeah, we can’t be giving long term guarenteed money to someone on their 2nd or 3rd contract with durability issues.

11 hours ago, Copernicus said:

It's not but a new HC coming in would probably not be looking at a practice squad guy right off. Unless he liked the the guy coming out of college that is.

12 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

OK!! ?

Yes. Its the main thing he has been doing. He works 16 hours a day and has been watching tape, formulating plans, evaluating college players, and looking at FA veterans. All of that involves extensive play reviews. I mean Gruden made a tape of almost every play AB had made and reviewed it with him. 

33 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yes. Its the main thing he has been doing. He works 16 hours a day and has been watching tape, formulating plans, evaluating college players, and looking at FA veterans. All of that involves extensive play reviews. I mean Gruden made a tape of almost every play AB had made and reviewed it with him. 

You mean he watched tape on Antonio Brown?

All Pro, All World Antonio Brown? Well then I’m sure that Gase has watched tape on an UDFA PS player from Kentucky in the 2 Months that he has been head coach! Gruden has had his eye on a big since the last pro bowl.

We are soooooo f**ked at the C position its laughable.

All last season and into FA, all we talked about was signing either Morse or Paradis was an absolute must. Well Morse is a Bill, and we never knew Paradis was a "country boy?" Nice.

Toth, Harrison, "can Sitton play center?" Then the list of guys available someone posted? Talk about grasping at straws...

If we don't draft one Harrison better stay healthy is all I'm saying.

6 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

All last season and into FA, all we talked about was signing either Morse or Paradis was an absolute must. Well Morse is a Bill, and we never knew Paradis was a "country boy?" Nice.

Toth, Harrison, "can Sitton play center?" Then the list of guys available someone posted? Talk about grasping at straws...

The Vikings were in the same spot two years ago, drafted Elflein at 3:6 and went to the NFCCG.  Mac can recover from this.  

But he needs to draft that Center with his first pick in the third round. These players go. 

29 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Vikings were in the same spot two years ago, drafted Elflein at 3:6 and went to the NFCCG.  Mac can recover from this.  

But he needs to draft that Center with his first pick in the third round. These players go. 

I wôuld agree. It's also why I would love to see us trade down

10 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

LOL...the whole starting OL better first GET healthy (2 coming back from injury), AND stay healthy because the depth is ZERO.  Everyone seems more worried about C but paying little mind to OT.  We have some 'depth' at G, but pretty much none at C and OT.

Archived