Marcus Maye is 26

nico002

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Woah buddy, getting ahead of yourself here.  Let's see if he's worth a 2nd contract first.  We haven't had any of those under Macc yet. 

Who the **** is getting ahead of himself?  I honestly don't care much about 2nd contracts.  That is 100% my point.  Every team has a shot at those guys.  It is what they do on the first contract I care about.  If these players all deserved 2nd contracts and we had to worry about them being 32 at the end of the term nobody wouldn't give a ****.  

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I agree that 10 years is not realistic. I think that the older age of prospects limits their ceilings and are the wrong type of players to take. At least the strictly developmental ones. 

They may be the wrong type of player.  They are probably easier to project or maybe, being physically more mature, this staff is mistaking where the younger players can and cannot develop.  It isn't much of an issue with later round guys like Donahue or when they drafted 27 year old Trevor Reilly for specials.  These guys are not 29 year old Brandon Weeden going in the first.  You have to look at each player individually.  Russell Wilson was a 24 year old rookie because, like Weeden, he tried baseball.  The issue seems to be this staff may talk themselves into age being the reason other teams passed on these guys.  They are trying to catch lightning.  Older guys, small school guys, injured guys are the ones that drop that still might turn out.  

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maye is very good when on the field.  However drafting older players is a bad because they have very little upside from when they start their careers, a good starting safety floor is where Maye was drafted and has fit.  Wish he could stay in the field more but that's always hard for me to knock a GM for.  I like Maye the player a lot and he's a good guy but the positional value of safeties is just so low when using a very high second round pick, I mean we passed on Dalvin Cook for an older safety.  As we've seen safeties are falling out of the sky in free agency and this draft.  Just a poor utilization of assets.

I don't understand your comment of "fact" of "3rd or 4th rebuild" under Macc then 

It was a joke, dude. You can’t factually prove whether a team is in a rebuild or how many there have been. But that’s been a go-to excuse for Macc supporters to say we’re rebuilding, even though that is no excuse at all for poor drafting prior to Darnold’s arrival.

The only thing with that 10th, or 17th youngest list is that the difference between the Jets at 17th youngest roster and the youngest NFL roster is all of .8 of a year per player difference.  Most of the teams are bunched up.  Rosters arent really young or really old anymore.
And the SB Champions are the 3rd oldest

The SB champions are allowed to be old. We should be one of the two or three youngest rosters in the NFL given how bad we’ve been.

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The SB champions are allowed to be old. We should be one of the two or three youngest rosters in the NFL given how bad we’ve been.

And as I said, the difference from the youngest to us is .8 of a year.  Its meaningless to want to be the youngest, its a negligible difference from top to 17.  Take McCown off the roster and how many spots do we jump?  I dont think anyone would call us old

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

The problem is that a bunch of you guys think you draft guys to have on the team for 10 years.  You don't 

Well you do try to find cornerstones who will be on the team in 10 years but truth is as you’ve mentioned, it doesn’t always work like that and it usually doesn’t work like that past the first two or three rounds. Anyone picked after round 3 is usually a prospect who needs a little time. You try to get guys most ready to play now and you work with how fast they progress. Everyone is on someone else’s time in the NFL.

13 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

If Bell approved this then fine but we want this guy to be as happy as possible. We don’t need him blowing up at something dumb like this haha. 

Yeah, so has anyone actually figured out whether nico was talking about age or jersey number?  Because they're both true statements, I'm just not sure which one he's worked up over.

All of Mac’s 1st rounders have been talented and very young. Primed to develop. All 21 year old rookies. That’s the ideal way to do it. At least he prioritized age as a factor with these premium picks. 

Excellent. Darron Lee can be on the team for a decade!

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It was a joke, dude. You can’t factually prove whether a team is in a rebuild or how many there have been. But that’s been a go-to excuse for Macc supporters to say we’re rebuilding, even though that is no excuse at all for poor drafting prior to Darnold’s arrival.

Then it is not a fact ?

40 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, so has anyone actually figured out whether nico was talking about age or jersey number?  Because they're both true statements, I'm just not sure which one he's worked up over.

I immediately thought jersey number but there are basically two different discussions going on right now. 

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Holy crap. I think he just meant the jersey number. It’s hilarious that it turned into this.

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

What do you think is fair/reasonable? I’m curious. 

I personally think it should take no longer than 3 years from tear down to playoff contention. 

YEAR 1: Tear down the team by cutting old vets or trading players that won’t fit the timeline of the rebuild. Sign only young FAs that will fit the timeline of the rebuild.

Accumulate as many draft assets as possible via trades or trade down during draft unless great FQB prospect is available a when you pick. I’d prioritize building the foundation first but you can’t skip a great prospect at the most important position on the field if he’s attainable. You get a FQB when you have the opportunity to.

YEAR 2: Continue signing younger vets via FA. Most likely have a top 10 pick from the “tear down” so continue to weigh trading down vs. premium position depending on options.

YEAR 3: More of the same but at this point the GM should have accumulated enough overall talent via decent drafting/FA and properly planning for this timeline. QB is young and either on year 1,2 or 3 of his career depending on when drafted but should have a strong supporting cast.  

If a QB was only drafted in year 3, I’d maybe be lenient on playoffs but would still expect 8-8 or 9-7 just because of a quality team already being constructed and rookie QB being in the best position to succeed. 

Those are just VERY broad examples of what I think is fair and patient for a reasonable rebuild. If you wait too long, you run into contract issues and losing the talent that you accumulated. There is much more to it but this post is long enough haha.

How would this change with Todd Bowles as HC? lol

We didn't draft great and we had a bad HC. Factor in the Idzik debacle previous to this we were in a sh*t spot to begin with. This is a "fair" plan above we just had some really bad circumstances compounding with others. 

Mac should have been fired with Bowles this is a crucial draft/remainder of offseason for him. 

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

You really want to have substantive dialogue around what was a failed joke?

The joke had a point behind it that I stand behind.  We should be one of the two or three youngest rosters in the NFL.  But because Macc likes "older" prospects like Maye and Shepherd, and has to cut a lot of bad draft picks (like Hansen and ArDarius Stewart, for instance), our roster is a lot older than it should be. 

42 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The joke had a point behind it that I stand behind.  We should be one of the two or three youngest rosters in the NFL.  But because Macc likes "older" prospects like Maye and Shepherd, and has to cut a lot of bad draft picks (like Hansen and ArDarius Stewart, for instance), our roster is a lot older than it should be. 

The point may have been more valid if your facts were right.

With the 2018 opening roster, the Jets were the 19th oldest team.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2018-edition/

1 hour ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

I immediately thought jersey number but there are basically two different discussions going on right now. 

Holy crap. I think he just meant the jersey number. It’s hilarious that it turned into this.

I imagine the age discussion is taking over, simply because there's far more for everyone to argue about on that topic.  I still have no idea what this thread was intended to be about though.

We need @nico002 to come back and set us all straight.

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Not promoting Macc here, but how long do you believe a "rebuild" in the NFL should be expected to take?

Our grandkids will let us know 

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There's no such thing as a rebuild in the NFL, really.  It's all about building a pipeline of homegrown talent, every year.  Then, you can go "all in" with free agent spending.

Had we been doing that in the drafts prior to Darnold, we'd be in great shape right now.  Instead, we were forced to acquire guys other teams let go, because Macc has yet to draft a player of significance who has proven worthy of a 2nd contract. 

Great post yet fans crush tanny for taking his shot... that’s what you have to do

Archived