AAF Already Folding?

MichaelScott

ALLIANCE OF AMERICAN FOOTBALL

AAF Allegedly Could Be Discontinued If NFLPA Doesn't Provide Young Players

TIMOTHY RAPPMARCH 27, 2019

Teams lineup against each other during a Birmingham Iron at Memphis Express AAF football game, Sunday, March 24, 2019, at Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium in Memphis, Tenn. (AP Photo/Wade Payne)
Wade Payne/Associated Press

The Alliance of American Football's majority owner Tom Dundon said Wednesday that the league is in danger of shutting down if the NFL Players Association does not provide the league with young players. 

"If the players union is not going to give us young players, we can't be a development league," he said, per  Kevin Allen and Mike Jones of USA Today. "We are looking at our options, one of which is discontinuing the league."

This article will be updated to provide more information on this

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I thought the NFL (and the NFLPA) were behind this league as a "minor league"/feeder league. I recall hearing/reading that the main goal was QB and o-line development because of the differences in the college game on that side of the ball.

2 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I hope they stay a float. It bridges that gap after the SB plus it gives fringe players who never really got a chance to show what they have (injuries ? etc.) a place to display their talents.

I think they're just posturing for a little help which would be really beneficial to the league. 

Just being acknowledge by the NFL would be extremely helpful. 

I think the NFL is trying to ignore them but I hope they realize they need each other and that you are right.

College is not going to train them anymore. We need somewhere for fringe players to learn NFL techniques. 

Vince McMahon's league will almost certainly fail too...

The only way these "minor league" systems can work is substantial investments by the top league franchises.

IE:  The other kind of futbol, hockey, and (my personal feeling is "yuck") baseball.

They don't bring in enough money to survive on their own.... and they probably never will.

Just now, RoadFan said:

The only way these "minor league" systems can work is substantial investments by the top league franchises.

IE:  The other kind of futbol, hockey, and (yuck) baseball.

They don't bring in enough money to survive on their own.... and they probably never will.

No idea why McMahon is repeating one of the worst business decisions he ever made

5 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Wow. I thought the NFL (and the NFLPA) were behind this league as a "minor league"/feeder league. I recall hearing/reading that the main goal was QB and o-line development because of the differences in the college game on that side of the ball.

I don’t think the AAF has it’s own CBA as of yet

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The last station on the line of young mens’ lifelong dreams doesn’t need a CBA. Play or go work at a car wash—negotiations complete.

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

The last station on the line of young mens’ lifelong dreams doesn’t need a CBA. Play or go work at a car wash—negotiations complete.

Good point but I'm not sure if the players in the AAF intend to unionize. NFLPA would view them like college players - future potential members

Not sure if World League players had a union

9 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I think they're just posturing for a little help which would be really beneficial to the league. 

Just being acknowledge by the NFL would be extremely helpful. 

I think the NFL is trying to ignore them but I hope they realize they need each other and that you are right.

College is not going to train them anymore. We need somewhere for fringe players to learn NFL techniques. 

Exactly right...I believe there has been some unofficial interaction between the NFL and the AAF but no actual investment. The AAF is actually a perfect place to be doing some of the testing that they are doing now in terms of rule changes, change of pace changes etc. Look how they are doing the no kickoffs, the automatic 2 point conversions, the access to the Sky Box Judge decisions and review of penalties. 

The AAF should get access to practice squad players and give them some kind of injury guarantee. The PS players would probably like the opportunity to show their skills in a game competition setting that the rest of the NFL teams can see, get into game shape before the NFL season and I'm sure they wouldn't turn down an extra $250k for a couple months of work either. 

In terms of play, the Offensive Line play the first couple weeks was (expectedly) awful but I think it's gotten better the last few games. There's also some QB's who are playing very well, including our very own Wolford who I'm sure will get a camp invite to some team.  

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Unlike the old NFL v AFL days when leagues were small, there already aren’t enough competent QBs to populate one league. Any second league destined to fail for that reason.

The difference here is the AAF wasn't designed to compete with the NFL like the AFL did.

I believe it's intent was to be more of a transition league to bridge the NCAA to NFL jump and also allow fringe players to get more practice and game reps

1 minute ago, CTJetsFan said:

The difference here is the AAF wasn't designed to compete with the NFL like the AFL did.

I believe it's intent was to be more of a transition league to bridge the NCAA to NFL jump and also allow fringe players to get more practice and game reps

Yep there cannot be a CBA under these circumstances these guys would probably play for free if it were legal in order to cling to a dream 

36 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:
The Alliance of American Football's majority owner Tom Dundon said Wednesday that the league is in danger of shutting down if the NFL Players Association does not provide the league with young players. 

"If the players union is not going to give us young players, we can't be a development league," he said, per  Kevin Allen and Mike Jones of USA Today. "We are looking at our options, one of which is discontinuing the league.

At least Big Macc is doing his part in drafting players for the AAF.  The rest of the league needs to follow suit!

ALLIANCE OF AMERICAN FOOTBALL

TIMOTHY RAPPMARCH 27, 2019

hi-res-e61ffe660ecb7e00135e1646fa836ec8_crop_north.jpg?h=533%26w=800%26q=70%26crop_x=center%26crop_y=top&key=bc0a78737aed952d2cfb61f1ecd19741c57593aff386ac368be245f7057b6e79 Wade Payne/Associated Press

"If the players union is not going to give us young players, we can't be a development league," he said, per  Kevin Allen and Mike Jones of USA Today. "We are looking at our options, one of which is discontinuing the league."

This article will be updated to provide more information on this

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828148-aaf-allegedly-could-be-discontinued-if-nflpa-doesnt-provide-young-players

Jeesh!! Didn’t they think of this crap before the started the friggin league?

Thats like opening an ice cream shop in anchorage AK and asking the state legislature to um... actually it’s nothing like that.

But this is dumb.

18 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

IE:  The other kind of futbol, hockey, and (my personal feeling is "yuck") baseball.

I agree that the XFL will likely fail, but I think they have a better chance of succeeding only because I think it is hard to sell the public on teams that are nothing but a minor league feeder system for the NFL. 

The USFL did well, at least for a while, because they tried to compete with the NFL. If the XFL has enough money and can steal away better quality players and place teams in real markets (not salt lake city/birmingham) the interest could be there. 

There are a lot of decent football players that don't get drafted and don't stick with teams as UDFAs.  I would think that the pool of players who end up in NFL camps this summer and eventually get cut are perfect to feed the AAF with young players.  Not sure why the NFLPA would want to prevent that from happening....or, are those players not even in the PA if they never land with a NFL team in the first place?

11 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Exactly right...I believe there has been some unofficial interaction between the NFL and the AAF but no actual investment. The AAF is actually a perfect place to be doing some of the testing that they are doing now in terms of rule changes, change of pace changes etc. Look how they are doing the no kickoffs, the automatic 2 point conversions, the access to the Sky Box Judge decisions and review of penalties. 

The AAF should get access to practice squad players and give them some kind of injury guarantee. The PS players would probably like the opportunity to show their skills in a game competition setting that the rest of the NFL teams can see, get into game shape before the NFL season and I'm sure they wouldn't turn down an extra $250k for a couple months of work either. 

In terms of play, the Offensive Line play the first couple weeks was (expectedly) awful but I think it's gotten better the last few games. There's also some QB's who are playing very well, including our very own Wolford who I'm sure will get a camp invite to some team.  

Definitely expected when you threw new guys together in a new system with limited practice. Heck, NFL teams with 6 weeks of camp + OTAs and guys who played together still suck.

I think (I could be wrong) that AAF rules even limit the # of players that can rush a passer on any play (I think it's 5). That's an acknowledgment of the need to develop offensive linemen.

They needed to have a better TV deal.  That is what gave the AFL footing. Think of the amount of money being made just on draft and football rumors sites.  Hell, think of the traffic here.  They should have been innovative and #1 had enough money from a TV deal to keep them afloat, or some kind of streaming with ad revenue that would get the job done.  #2 set up the fantasy game to get people invested early.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I agree that the XFL will likely fail, but I think they have a better chance of succeeding only because I think it is hard to sell the public on teams that are nothing but a minor league feeder system for the NFL. 

The USFL did well, at least for a while, because they tried to compete with the NFL. If the XFL has enough money and can steal away better quality players and place teams in real markets (not salt lake city/birmingham) the interest could be there. 

You're right.  There is a difference. I said "almost certainly" will fail leaving a sliver open that it could create a market for itself.

The largest problem is there are only 5-8 great QBs playing at any one time in the NFL.  There are another 6-10 that are somewhere between good and serviceable.   And then there is the collection of unknowns to backup caliber.

These other leagues have to find the money to draw the top-end QBs or they have nothing.  Nobody is going to pay to watch, or broadcast, games between Sean Mannion and Mike Glennon (cue the jokes now).  And those are the higher end options for the XFL.

The novelty will wear off quickly...

21 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

You're right.  There is a difference. I said "almost certainly" will fail leaving a sliver open that it could create a market for itself.

The largest problem is there are only 5-8 great QBs playing at any one time in the NFL.  There are another 6-10 that are somewhere between good and serviceable.   And then there is the collection of unknowns to backup caliber.

These other leagues have to find the money to draw the top-end QBs or they have nothing.  Nobody is going to pay to watch, or broadcast, games between Sean Mannion and Mike Glennon (cue the jokes now).  And those are the higher end options for the XFL.

Depends on your expectations of what you are watching. I watch to see who might have a chance to make the NFL and look for a competitive game. Sort of the same reason I watch college games. Except with AAF I don't expect to see stars dominating or major strength of team imbalances.

23 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

You overestimate the knowledge of the American public.  If the 1 pm game is Mannion vs. Glennon and the 4 pm game is Tebow vs. Kaepernick, half of NFL viewers will believe that those guys are as good as anything the NFL trots out there if they were only give a fair chance.

1 hour ago, JetFreak89 said:

All very true. Things have slowed down for a lot of players the last few weeks, and the quality of the games has gone up considerably. 

As for Wolford, overall he's played well, but his physical limitations (as they'd apply to the NFL) are pretty noticeable. The QBs who I think would have a shot of making it in the NFL are the guys from San Antonio, Salt Lake, and Birmingham.  

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

The NFLPA leadership is shortsighted and foolish. DeMaurice Smith is the worst thing to happen to football in a long time. His brilliant strategy to negotiate the CBA solely on "money" and then sue the NFL for other things failed miserably. 

He'll kill what is a golden goose for a lot of the players who end up out of the league early.

The NFL is not going to be cool with these minor leagues using their pro teams as a scouting unit for players to go play in the AAF or XFL. The NFLPA is not going to force its players to go into lower paying contracts to play in a minor league during the offseason and risk injury. 

53 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You overestimate the knowledge of the American public.  If the 1 pm game is Mannion vs. Glennon and the 4 pm game is Tebow vs. Kaepernick, half of NFL viewers will believe that those guys are as good as anything the NFL trots out there if they were only give a fair chance.

Good point.   Ain't that the truth...  I have been to some Jet games in Miami.  I have been to some Bucs games.  My brother is a season ticket holder for the Florida Gators.   Talk about collections of dumb fans...  scary.

54 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Depends on your expectations of what you are watching. I watch to see who might have a chance to make the NFL and look for a competitive game. Sort of the same reason I watch college games. Except with AAF I don't expect to see stars dominating or major strength of team imbalances.

I admire your commitment to the sport.   I can't quite do the same.  Although I enjoy scouting college film to see if I could draft better than the guys employed by NFL franchises, and especially for my dynasty fantasy league.

19 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Good point.   Ain't that the truth...  I have been to some Jet games in Miami.  I have been to some Bucs games.  My brother is a season ticket holder for the Florida Gators.   Talk about collections of dumb fans...  scary.

I admire your commitment to the sport.   I can't quite do the same.  Although I enjoy scouting college film to see if I could draft better than the guys employed by NFL franchises, and especially for my dynasty fantasy league.

Trust me, I don't go out of my way to watch a game, but if I'm home and there's no other games on that I'm interested in, I'll turn it on. I also set my DVR to record 1 now and then just to check it out.

I thought I heard before they started that they were also going to be doing some new stuff with fantasy like realtime updates and stuff.

26 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

The NFL is not going to be cool with these minor leagues using their pro teams as a scouting unit for players to go play in the AAF or XFL. The NFLPA is not going to force its players to go into lower paying contracts to play in a minor league during the offseason and risk injury. 

What the NFLPA is going to force these players to do is go work at Walmart if they pass up an opportunity to improve.  From my observations, the NFLPA isn't interested in the young players at all.  Most of what the NFLPA got out of the last CBA is the young players can't even talk to their position coaches in the off season so they can improve and challenge the vet for a job

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

What the NFLPA is going to force these players to do is go work at Walmart if they pass up an opportunity to improve.  From my observations, the NFLPA isn't interested in the young players at all.  Most of what the NFLPA got out of the last CBA is the young players can't even talk to their position coaches in the off season so they can improve and challenge the vet for a job

Not the NFLPA's job to help players challenge each other for jobs. 

Archived