Sam Darnold vs Joe Namath

Sarge4Tide

4007?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sam Darnold throw for more than 4007 yards in 2019?

• Yes! By a wide margin!
    • Yes, will be close, but yes
    • It's 50/50 - He might do it
    • No, might come close if everything breaks right, but no
    • No way, no how, not even close

part of the reason that Namath threw for over 4000 is that Boozer and Snell both got hurt that year and Smolinski/Mathis just weren't great replacements so he had to throw 

If Darnold throws for that many yards, it is because Bell either gets injured or they try to get him out in space more often by dumping it to him

However, if he does do it and not within 14 games, it deserves a Frickesque asterisk

That is roughly 251 ypg, not out of the realm of possibility at all considering we have a pretty good cast of offensive weapons for him to throw to, of course contingent on LB having his head screwed on correctly.

53 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Joe Namath still holds the Jets single season passing yards record with 4,007

Will Sam Darnold throw for more than 4007 yards (250 yards per game) in 2019?

Namath was the first to ever throw for over 4000 yards, and the last Jet to do it. QBs throw for 5000 yards nowadays. Sam averaged 220 yards a game last year on a bad team, with his strongest performances coming at the end of the year with a severely depleted supporting cast. So yeah, I hadn't thought about it, but I think he's gonna do it.  

58 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I get the feeling when you wake up in the morning you make a poll for what to have for breakfast.. A eggs B oatmeal C french toast D something else..:-k

Just now, Savage69 said:

I get the feeling when you wake up in the morning you make a poll for what to have for breakfast.. A eggs B oatmeal C french toast D something else..:-k

I live in Alabama, I have a sausage biscuit for breakfast every morning....now lunch......?

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I would hope he does not have to.  L Bell should make it unnecessary

Sam Darnold expects “a huge step” in Adam Gase’s offense

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 10, 2019, 9:03 AM EDT
gettyimages-1146147468-e1557493390940.jp
Getty Images

Jets quarterback Sam Darnold came on strong at the end of last season, throwing six touchdown passes and only one interception over the last four games. This year he thinks that progress will continue, thanks to his new coach.

Darnold told 98.7 ESPN that Adam Gase’s offense is going to excite Jets fans — and is exciting to the players as well.

“We have the potential to make a huge step,” Darnold said, via Newsday. “We have a ton of really good pieces. We had a lot of the same guys who made a really big impact for us last year. We’re ready to do bigger and better things this year. I’m just really, really pumped and really excited for what’s to come.The offense is fun and unique. We’re going to do a lot of cool stuff and a lot of stuff that Jets fans haven’t seen in a while. I’m really pumped about that. I know we’re going to score points.”

“For me and for a lot of Jets fans it should be really, really exciting to know that many guys on the team are really curious about what we’re doing and they’re buying in,” Darnold said. “Everyone’s buying in. It’s a good feeling to have as a quarterback and as a fan base to know that all the guys are putting in the time and effort to be the best players they can and the best teammates they can be for me and the guys on the offense.”

The Jets had one of the worst offenses in the NFL last year. Gase was brought in to change that, and Darnold thinks he’ll deliver.

Little off topic, but.......on NFL network Wednesday they had a film of the old Quarterback Challenge from 1997. Neil O'Donnell (Jets), Farve(Packers), Brunnel(Jags) and Vinny(Ravens) were all in it. Felt like I was at a Jets old timers game.?

Even in the age of 5,000 yard passers 4,000 yards is still a really big number in my opinion.  I think 4K is asking a lot of Sam....but I'd suggest 3 reasons he could do it.  He now has a year of experience under his belt, he just had a superior pass-catching RB and slot WR added to the O, and Gase wants to pass the ball.....as does the entire NFL these days.

I don't know if it will be this year, 2019, but I would bet he does it at some point in the next few years.

22 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I don't think he has any chance, honestly. Not yet.

Interestingly, Tannehill was a 4,000+ yard passer twice, in 2014 and 2015, and was quite close in 2013 too.......till Gase arrived in Miami in 2016.  He's never gotten remotely close to 4,000 since then. 

Neither did Cutler in either of his years under Gase, in Chicago and Miami.

Gase's last (and only) 4,000+ yard passer he can claim responsabillity for as O-Co or HC was Peyton Manning in Denver. 

Guess I'm still a bit confused on the meme of "Gase got more out of X than anyone else".  Just doesn't seem supported in the facts outside of Manning, who was typically Manning-level-of-elite-production before Gase and with Gase, and I continue to wonder why anyone would think that was mostly about Gase, as opposed to being mostly about Manning and the talent around him in Denver.

If I had to guess, I'd say he'll end up in the high 3000s, but I wouldn't be too overly shocked if he makes it happen, given how greatly the passing numbers have changed in today's NFL.  After all, Fitz's 2015 season currently sits at #2 on the Jets all-time list.

Archived