Men's clothes prices are out of control

So, I recently got in tremendous physical condition and, as such, have to update my wardrobe and I can't believe how expensive everything is these days. I am not cheap nor particularly poor, but it's still crazy to be paying $25 for a t-shirt, $60+ for a pair of jeans, $25+ for a pack of Nike socks, and FORGET ABOUT what they're charging for boxer briefs. The only things that are cheap now are shoes and sneakers, which makes no sense. I was just on a website looking for higher-grade shirts for a trip I'm going on and they wanted $68 for a merino wool V-neck t. Absurd. Am I just poor or nuts or cheap?  

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, I recently got in tremendous physical condition and, as such, have to update my wardrobe and I can't believe how expensive everything is these days. I am not cheap nor particularly poor, but it's still crazy to be paying $25 for a t-shirt, $60+ for a pair of jeans, $25+ for a pack of Nike socks, and FORGET ABOUT what they're charging for boxer briefs. The only things that are cheap now are shoes and sneakers, which makes no sense. I was just on a website looking for higher-grade shirts for a trip I'm going on and they wanted $68 for a merino wool V-neck t. Absurd. Am I just poor or nuts or cheap?  

Agreed. Also, region matters. Ralph Lauren charging me $35 for a knit v neck T in my hometown annoys me, when I know that the exact same T could be had for $15 where my sis-in-law lives near Tampa.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Agreed. Also, region matters. Ralph Lauren charging me $35 for a knit v neck T in my hometown annoys me, when I know that the exact same T could be had for $15 where my sis-in-law lives near Tampa.

And ain't no way I'm going to Tampa to save money,

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Haband , baby !!!

Merino is pricey but for traveling I look at it as 3-1. As in I’m buying a shirt or pair of socks I can wear for 3 days instead of 1, so it evens out. Further the stuff lasts hella longer than regular clothing, so the replacement charges even out over time. 

About 10 years ago I made initial purchases in a lot of Patagonia and Arcteryx stuff, and guess what? I haven’t had to pay for anything since. They have replaced fleeces, t-shirts, climbing and hiking pants, board shorts, and jackets for me. Multiple times because of malfunction or just a bad fit. Guaranteed for life. A one and done purchase.

Nike socks are sh*t. Nike is a sh*t product altogether. Stay away. So far as socks do with Stance, Darn Tough, Farm to Feet, and Feetures. REI brand stuff is adequate too. These are pricier, but again they last way longer and are so much better on your feet. I have several pairs of Feetures that are  4-5 years old and still going strong.

Boxer briefs are more expensive but the comfort is worth the price and also Meundies and Stance last 3-4 times longer than crappy Hanes or Fruit of the Looms. Again, it evens out over time.

So far as other casual stuff, regular shirts and pants...etc, hit up Nordstrom Rack. You’ll be surprised at what you find there. Other than that, always buy online excepting consignment shops. Brick & mortar prices are way higher for the same brands.  And the best time to purchase is always on holidays because of the hella discount codes. Pick out what you like now and buy it on July 4th if you can.

End of the day looking good costs a little more money but it’s worth it and you can make it work for reasonable prices if you get the system. The reason everything used to be so much cheaper is because dudes dressed like schlubs and many still do. Don’t be one of those guys. And don’t listen to bitter old or fat people that complain about this sh*t either. Congrats on the weight loss, getting to look good is a prize you get for it, not a burden.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The biggest mistake men make is buying clothes when YOU NEED TO, like going on a trip. Hit up big sales i.e. Father's Day, 4th of July, after Christmas. Stock up on things you really like, when you find a shirt or pair of jeans that fit just right, buy a few different colors or styles. 

When I find a shirt that feels great, fits great, I get 3/4 different colors. I can't stand shopping for clothes & hate spending money on them so I'm a binge shopper when their are huge markdowns. I shop maybe twice a year. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You can thank our friends at the Federal Reserve for that.  Greenspan, Bernanke, Yellin, Powell, etc.

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Merino is pricey but for traveling I look at it as 3-1. As in I’m buying a shirt or pair of socks I can wear for 3 days instead of 1, so it evens out. Further the stuff lasts hella longer than regular clothing, so the replacement charges even out over time. 

About 10 years ago I made initial purchases in a lot of Patagonia and Arcteryx stuff, and guess what? I haven’t had to pay for anything since. They have replaced fleeces, t-shirts, climbing and hiking pants, board shorts, and jackets for me. Multiple times because of malfunction or just a bad fit. Guaranteed for life. A one and done purchase.

Nike socks are sh*t. Nike is a sh*t product altogether. Stay away. So far as socks do with Stance, Darn Tough, Farm to Feet, and Feetures. REI brand stuff is adequate too. These are pricier, but again they last way longer and are so much better on your feet. I have several pairs of Feetures that are  4-5 years old and still going strong.

Boxer briefs are more expensive but the comfort is worth the price and also Meundies and Stance last 3-4 times longer than crappy Hanes or Fruit of the Looms. Again, it evens out over time.

So far as other casual stuff, regular shirts and pants...etc, hit up Nordstrom Rack. You’ll be surprised at what you find there. Other than that, always buy online excepting consignment shops. Brick & mortar prices are way higher for the same brands.  And the best time to purchase is always on holidays because of the hella discount codes. Pick out what you like now and buy it on July 4th if you can.

End of the day looking good costs a little more money but it’s worth it and you can make it work for reasonable prices if you get the system. The reason everything used to be so much cheaper is because dudes dressed like schlubs and many still do. Don’t be one of those guys. And don’t listen to bitter old or fat people that complain about this sh*t either. Congrats on the weight loss, getting to look good is a prize you get for it, not a burden.

Yep, get on a rotation of a couple different ones and you can get some really nice stuff.  Where i live I literally have 5 of them within a 30 minute drive. Duluth trading makes boxers and socks that are basically nuke proof. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Hey!  I am bitter old and fat and I look ******* awesome. 

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You can thank our friends at the Federal Reserve for that.  Greenspan, Bernanke, Yellin, Powell, etc.

Those guys got T0mShane into tremendous physical condition? 

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yep, get on a rotation of a couple different ones and you can get some really nice stuff.  Where i live I literally have 5 of them within a 30 minute drive. Duluth trading makes boxers and socks that are basically nuke proof. 

I have a Duluth windproof hooded sweatshirt.

It's pretty sweet.

22 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

@T0mShane  Options..........

Amazon is your friend you tell them sizes they send you a complete wardrobe you return what doesn't fit and what you don't like.

Knew it was only a matter of time before joewilly popped in this thread.  However, I expected him to say something to the effect of "Clothes?  Overrated!!"

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Duluth looks like quality stuff, but I haven’t tried them because their underwear looks like diapers.

On 6/16/2019 at 9:36 AM, T0mShane said:

You should look at it as incremental cost/time. A nice pair of Jeans might cost you $125 bucks, and a crappy ones 25. As long as you stay the same size they should last a couple years which puts you at what 100 incremental cost/100 weeks, meaning it costs you about an additional $1 a week for the life of the product. Mid range clothing would be about 1/2 that.

Also sign up for Ebates and email programs, clothing retailers in that price range ($60 jeans) discount heavily and are often part of Ebates, just keep your eye out for a 40% off coupon.

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, CTM said:

You should look at it as incremental cost/time. A nice pair of Jeans might cost you $125 bucks, and a crappy ones 25. As long as you stay the same size they should last a couple years which puts you at what 100 incremental cost/100 weeks, meaning it costs you about an additional $1 a week for the life of the product. Mid range clothing would be about 1/2 that.

Also sign up for Ebates and email programs, clothing retailers in that price range ($60 jeans) discount heavily and are often part of Ebates, just keep your eye out for a 40% off coupon.

I have a few pairs of True Religion jeans that have lasted my fat ass a decade. Joes make some jeans that last like a mutter as well.