Walt Michaels dead at 89

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

It certainly did in a large way. Because of the mud, the downfield passing game (which is what the Jets were) was non-existent. The Jets had a match-up advantage of speed, and the mud helped negate that.

Really, as much as I recall, the Jets were not much of a screen passing team. and that is where Duhe wreaked his havoc that day.

Only idiots would say the mud had no affect. There were 8 freaking picks in 1 game, Todd had 5, Woodley had 3. The Jets had 24 rushing attempts the Fins 41! That's a huge difference in the mud. Guys were ankle f*cking deep in mud. Jets had Freeman McNeil, Lam Jones, Wesley Walker, Jerome Barkum, and Bruce Harper, all Speedsters that were mired in muck. I'll go out on a limb & say we don't get shutout on a clean field. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I love Freeman, one of my all time favorites.  He was awesome that day in Cincinnati and even threw for a TD.  I believe Freeman was the more talented runner but he could never stay healthy.  Curtis always fought through pain and played basically every week and produced.

pretty accurate...   Cumar the grinder...      for that is BLECH, but, thats just me...  shrug

• Upvote 1

Edit. Was questioning of anyone had additional insight as to what really led to Walt's firing before reading the rest of the thread. Thanks to those who provided some information.

Edited by pajet
Question already answered.

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

One correction. The 1982 team (mud bowl year) was a strike year. The Jets did start 1-1 that year, and then the strike hit. They expanded the playoffs, and the Jets made it as a wild card at 6-3. 

1981 was the 10-5-1 team, and that was the team that came out flat against Buffalo in the first round of the playoffs, and fell behind early. They almost rallied to win at the end, but were intercepted at the goal line.

Yes I remember the 82 season very well, but I was only commenting on the 81 season.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

It certainly did in a large way. Because of the mud, the downfield passing game (which is what the Jets were) was non-existent. The Jets had a match-up advantage of speed, and the mud helped negate that.

Really, as much as I recall, the Jets were not much of a screen passing team. and that is where Duhe wreaked his havoc that day.

Yes. They had Wesley Walker, Lam Jones and Mickey Shuler and they were deadly downfield. Shula knew exactly what he was doing with the field. They Fins Offense killed the Def with QB option plays all damn day.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Jets were never, never going to draft Marino. 2 main reasons:

-The Jets were very straight laced and wanted to be aligned with the NFL office ideal of players (Jim Kensil influence). There were drug rumors (well founded) about Marino at Pitt.

-The Jets were very leery of players with knee injuries (they were spooked by the Namath situation), and stayed clear of medical red flags. Team Doctor James Nicholas had a large voice as to what players should be cleared to draft.

That’s interesting. I always thought that Walton drafted O’Brien because they thought he was smarter than Marino, thus better equipped to operate Walton’s offense. 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

That’s interesting. I always thought that Walton drafted O’Brien because they thought he was smarter than Marino, thus better equipped to operate Walton’s offense. 

These are things that I have gleaned from reading several Jet books for that era. I cant specifically say who, said what at this point, but those stuck out to me.

The drug rumors with Marino were there (as well a knee injury), and I can assume that is what scared the Jets off Warren Sapp too-Although I never heard that directly. 

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

These are things that I have gleaned from reading several Jet books for that era. I cant specifically say who, said what at this point, but those stuck out to me.

The drug rumors with Marino were there (as well a knee injury), and I can assume that is what scared the Jets off Warren Sapp too-Although I never heard that directly. 

Yes, there were strong rumors of marijuana use by Marino while at Pitt. There was also the knee concerns. 

24 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

Yes, there were strong rumors of marijuana use by Marino while at Pitt. There was also the knee concerns. 

Nope. Cocaine. Pittsburgh was a huge hub for that. Dale Berra dealt when he was with the Pirates and Keith said he always got his blow in Pittsburgh back in that time. 

Btw, that cheating piece of sh*t Don Shula-the guy who didn’t tarp his field and who has been universally acknowledged as costing us a trip to the SB (other than a f*cktard or two) started the Marino cocaine rumors so that he’d fall. 

Brilliant bastard. 

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Sapp was on the pot. 

2 hours ago, Ken Shroy said:

Yes. They had Wesley Walker, Lam Jones and Mickey Shuler and they were deadly downfield. Shula knew exactly what he was doing with the field. They Fins Offense killed the Def with QB option plays all damn day.

But some jerkoff will tell you it didn’t matter. Then spout a lot of irrelevant stats. 

Then repeat it ad nauseum. 

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I was just a kid when he was the HC but I remember my father bringing me home a Jets hat that Walt Michaels had autographed on the brim.  Apparently my father had met him at an event near where he worked in the city and Walt was signing autographs.  I don't remember much about him and would love to hear from some of our fans about that 1982 transition, the reason for his firing, etc.  The Jets did rebound and were competing in the playoffs just a few years later with Ken O'Brien, etc. but did it seem like Walt got a raw deal?

51j-nXbp2zL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You can't be a true Jets fan if you have not read Nose to Nose Survival in the Trenches. It's a fun quick read.  Those years were incredible.  Lots of what the Jets were like under Walt Michaels followed by the up-and-mostly-down Walton years.

In the end, Michaels was a good HC who had some demons.  Walton was not liked.   

https://www.amazon.com/Nose-Survival-Trenches-NFL/dp/0688052819

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Ken Shroy said:

Woodley their QB was the Fins leading rusher that day. Todd was a thrower, not a runner, Woodley was a pretty good athlete, in fact a better athlete than QB. The mud advantage CLEARLY hurt the Jets & aided Miami. If that weren't the case & Miami was the team with Walker, McNeil, Lam Jones, Harper, Barkum, ol slick Don Shula would have had that field as pristine as an anal landscapers well kept lawn. Fact.

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

You can't be a true Jets fan if you have not read Nose to Nose Survival in the Trenches. It's a fun quick read.  Those years were incredible.  Lots of what the Jets were like under Walt Michaels followed by the up-and-mostly-down Walton years.

Read that one. I like the part where Dwayne Crutchfield was mouthing off & Klecko grabbed him like a sack of potatoes & stuffed him at the top of the locker. I think it was Crutchfield?

17 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

No. The jets and Dolphins did have an announcerless game, but it was an end of regular season game, when both teams stunk.

They would NEVER do a conference final without announcers.

I remember that game and have no idea why - given today's multiple platforms - no network offers a fully produced broadcast that simply drops the announcer mikes.  I want to hear the sounds of the game and nothing else.  Doing this would actually make the commercials more impactful as they could have full sound and grab attention when they cut away from live action. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jetster said:

Only idiots would say the mud had no affect. There were 8 freaking picks in 1 game, Todd had 5, Woodley had 3. The Jets had 24 rushing attempts the Fins 41! That's a huge difference in the mud. Guys were ankle f*cking deep in mud. Jets had Freeman McNeil, Lam Jones, Wesley Walker, Jerome Barkum, and Bruce Harper, all Speedsters that were mired in muck. I'll go out on a limb & say we don't get shutout on a clean field. 

The only solace I can take is that it means David Woodley started as many Super Bowls as Dan Marino. 

Eff the Dolphins. I can't wait for the Gase revenge tour twice a season. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Dcat said:

Thanks.

12 hours ago, Dcat said:

Great!  Another reason I am not a true Jets fan.  I thought it was just the lack of a PSL. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

i'm also with the mud causing the loss argument. both sides of the ball.  i still despise shula more than bb.

anybody else recall NY Post stalking Coach Walt around town for awhile after the firing and his subsequent disappearance? 

On 7/11/2019 at 12:46 PM, Jetster said:

Walt Michaels was a great coach. So strange we were all discussing the 82 Mud Bowl in Miami. 

I love that story about him trying to get to Shula after the game. I guess he got trashed on the Jet home & was eventually fired. How badly do you think Walt wanted to punch Don Shula right in his broken nose?

R.I.P.,I heard they would find him passed out in the laundry room some monday mornings.

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Great!  Another reason I am not a true Jets fan.  I thought it was just the lack of a PSL. 

oops... you are quite right...  wrong phrasing on my part... let me rephrase if i may...

Older Jets fans will love reading Nose-to-Nose for the inside scoop on that era.

Younger Jets fans will love Nose-to-Nose so that they can understand just what  we old timers had  to endure and how eerily similar it is decades later.

• Upvote 1