Baldy's Breakdown of Quinnen Williams agains the Giants

Meh. I expect more from a DT that has been touted as being so good that he would have justified being the 1st overall pick in the draft. 

Im not downing him, as this is his first taste at the pro level, what i am saying is that if we take a DT 3rd overall in the draft then expect otherworldly production...not just perspective. 

We once again dismissed the offensive side of the ball entirely and at minimum the defensive needs such as CB to draft a guy who plays on a Dline considered a strength of the team.

We don't need another Leo Williams. We should all expect impactful plays from Q. That's only fair if you're considered that good.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Meh. I expect more from a DT that has been touted as being so good that he would have justified being the 1st overall pick in the draft. 

Im not downing him, as this is his first taste at the pro level, what i am saying is that if we take a DT 3rd overall in the draft then expect otherworldly production...not just perspective. 

We once again dismissed the offensive side of the ball entirely and at minimum the defensive needs such as CB to draft a guy who plays on a Dline considered a strength of the team.

We don't need another Leo Williams. We should all expect impactful plays from Q. That's only fair if you're considered that good.

Too bad Mac refused any trade down offers, and there were some.  Could have had an Edge rusher + a solid Olineman despite maybe getting under the classic "chart value".

He's gone.  Hope he chokes on his coffee.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

This guy may be good but this is the same S*** we have heard about our last dozen high pick interior guys.

"Oh he has interior run stopping responsibilities!"

"Oh he is double teamed all game!"  (Amazing how all 4 of our D lineman are always double teamed on each play.)

If This dude does not get 10 plus sacks a year plus be the dominant run stopping force he is a big fail.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

what the team needed and what the 3rd pick of the draft offered didn't line up 

you wanted them to do what exactly? 

You are the Jets, what's your pick?

lock in your answer now before the season starts and it becomes even easier to draft in hindsight

it was the only logical pick everything else was a dire reach 

What should he have done?  You accept a trade down (and there were multiple offers) even if it is a bit below chart value.  That way you get both an OL and an Edge rusher.  Stubborn Mac couldn't pull the trigger.  I have no doubt he was concerned about public perception and trade chart value.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Too bad Mac refused any trade down offers, and there were some.  Could have had an Edge rusher + a solid Olineman despite maybe getting under the classic "chart value".

He's gone.  Hope he chokes on his coffee.

Mac is somewhere right now coffee in hand looking at his bank statement. I don’t see how someone so poor at their jobs can make so much money. It’s just doesn’t make sense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Dcat said:

What should he have done?  You accept a trade down (and there were multiple offers) even if it is a bit below chart value.  That way you get both an OL and an Edge rusher.  Stubborn Mac couldn't pull the trigger.  I have no doubt he was concerned about public perception and trade chart value.  

get an OL like who Jonah Williams who didn't make it through mini camp before being put on IR? 

that's worse for public perception than drafting Q 

there were no OL... and there were no trade offers (there has to be someone worth trading up for) 

try again

you're at 3, you can't move, who's the pick? I want a name not a fairy tale about a trade down 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Mac is somewhere right now coffee in hand looking at his bank statement. I don’t see how someone so poor at their jobs can make so much money. It’s just doesn’t make sense. 

if there were 20 beat writers, 100 message boards and ESPN announcing everytime you got up from your desk to take an hour long poop, you'd understand some sense of why they get paid.

If mac has kids for example and they go to school during a Jets losing streak, how does that go? because other kids are known for their understanding /s

the money is great but it's a sh*t job, all things being said... 80-120 hour weeks, tons of travel and in the end they sacrifice you to the masses and pay you off. and your reputation is forever ruined 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

get an OL like who Jonah Williams who didn't make it through mini camp before being put on IR? 

that's worse for public perception than drafting Q 

there were no OL... and there were no trade offers (there has to be someone worth trading up for) 

try again

you're at 3, you can't move, who's the pick? I want a name not a fairy tale about a trade down 

Bullsht  THere were offers and that's a fact.  It was reported and confirmed by MaC after the draft.  Mac didn't like the offers.  Took the easy way by taking Q.    He could have made a decent deal landing us TWO players in the first 2 Rounds. Instead of just Leo Williams II.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

Just now, bitonti said:

if there were 20 beat writers, 100 message boards and ESPN announcing everytime you got up from your desk to take an hour long poop, you'd understand some sense of why they get paid.

If mac has kids for example and they go to school during a Jets losing streak, how does that go? 

the money is great but it's a sh*t job, all things being said... 80-120 hour weeks, tons of travel and in the end they sacrifice you to the masses and pay you off. and your reputation is forever ruined 

boohoohoo....go do charted public accountancy then.

If you can't stand the heat, etc etc etc

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I haven't seen this posted but please forgive if it is already hiding somewhere.  A really good breakdown of how Q held up his responsibilities in his first NFL action.  How he handled the double teams was really solid for being so early and I have real hope for this guy. The force is strooooong with this one. 

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/baldy-s-breakdown-quinnen-williams-nfl-debut-vs-the-giants

I really like when Baldy breaks down players.   He gets in there, and makes it easy to understand, but shows you the technical side of the play.   He is an excellent analyst/film breaker downer type person.

And yes, Q looked good in those few plays.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, peebag said:

boohoohoo....go do charted public accountancy then.

If you can't stand the heat, etc etc etc

i mean we agree. but this dude asked why Mac got paid. The reason is because it's entertainment and he's getting paid like how people on Japanese game shows win prizes. It's humiliation money 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

sigh.

Bill Parcells traded down twice missing ORlando Pace and Walter Jones to get Farrior and 11 sh*t bums 

quantity doesn't equal quality. the blue chips are at the top of the draft 

who would they have gotten? TJ Hockenson and KNeal Harry 

who cares? it wasn't a good draft for offense 

I am fine with this response.

Now, what is blue chip?  Because we have drafted a half dozen blue chip dlineman over the last number of years all the while ignoring other positions and none of them have been blue chip other than one year of mo wilk.

After year one the same people lobbying hard for the blue chip quinnen pick rather than lesser players will be making excuses as to why he is not aaron donald.  (whom  they said he would be before the draft.)

Quinnen better be blue chip, not pretty good, not reasonably good but blue bloody chip for years.

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Q will be a beast and it was the only pick that made sense at the time

I could have also seen Ed Oliver... but remember how many people wanted Josh Allen? 

While the Jets have no outside pass rush to speak of the idea of Leonard and Q together is interesting... especially against TB12 who never lets the outside pressure get there anyway 

I'd have taken Ed and Josh over Q (maybe even Hockenson).  I'm just not confident Q Will. is going to be a pass rusher in the NFL.  He might end up very good to elite vs. the run but if Q. Will eclipses more than 6 sacks in a season during his career, I'd be shocked.  Q. Will was in my "do not want" category because I felt he's redundant to what we already have and I just dont see how a run stopping DT pushes the needle.  That said, he's adorable and my favorite player on the team and want him to become the next Reggie White like Leo was supposed to be. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, dbatesman said:

very excited for December, when half the board will be explaining that #actually it’s not a big deal that Q only has 2.5 sacks because he’s occupying blockers, which allows other guys to make plays

50 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Q is and will be double-teamed often.  Can't wait till this board wants him traded due to lack of sacks.  Playing mostly nose and 1-tech, I expect the whining around these parts to be about the same as Leo.

lmfao

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'd have taken Ed and Josh over Q (maybe even Hockenson).  I'm just not confident Q Will. is going to be a pass rusher in the NFL.  He might end up very good to elite vs. the run but if Q. Will eclipses more than 6 sacks in a season during his career, I'd be shocked. 

he's got the hand violence to get there. I make alot of dumb bets on this board against the Jets but this one I'd be in favor of backing Q. Any interest? 5.5 is the number if he gets to 6 or above I win

and to make it even spicier I'll only cover his "jets career" if he goes to another team year 7 and gets to 6 the bet is null  

50 or 100 to charity of winners choice 

Josh Allen kinda sux btw. 

48 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Nathan Shepard is more impressive than Q in that breakdown.

Shep stands out in a good way on that series. Rumors are that Foli also played well. The Jets have a ton DL. Same can be said about LB. 

A trade has to be coming soon. Our CB situation has to be one of the worse in the league.

Ahhh, the clueless - already with the 'bust' analogy, lol --- Once Leo and Q are out there together when it starts to have meaning, the naysayers will have there bigmouths plugged with an oblong, pigskin like object.  With G. Willaims defensive scheming , this front 7 will be one of the best.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

This guy may be good but this is the same S*** we have heard about our last dozen high pick interior guys.

"Oh he has interior run stopping responsibilities!"

"Oh he is double teamed all game!"  (Amazing how all 4 of our D lineman are always double teamed on each play.)

If This dude does not get 10 plus sacks a year plus be the dominant run stopping force he is a big fail.

Exactly.  He needs to be aaron donaldesque or this is a total fail.

But we cannot be judging him too soon.  It is going to take a few years to get to that level.

• Thumb Down 1

23 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Exactly.  He needs to be aaron donaldesque or this is a total fail.

But we cannot be judging him too soon.  It is going to take a few years to get to that level.

did you tell me that i was using excuses when i say he was doubled from the get go? watch the video...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

what the team needed and what the 3rd pick of the draft offered didn't line up 

you wanted them to do what exactly? 

You are the Jets, what's your pick?

lock in your answer now before the season starts and it becomes even easier to draft in hindsight

it was the only logical pick everything else was a dire reach 

Agree 100%.  When Kyler Murray went #1 I knew the Jets were going to be stuck without a decent trade-up offer.  QW was the choice there....it was a no-brainer....and our no brain GM made the right call.

• Upvote 2