Free 6th rd pick for Pats

Rhg1084

14 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

With where the Jets are going to be drafting it’s essentially a late 5th rounder. That’s a valuable pick. Wasting that on Thomas was dumb. Obviously it’s Douglas’s job to get better but it’s not going to happen with moves like this. 

Any pick after the 3rd round is 80% of the time a wasted pick. It's been studied and that's a fact. 

And it's a 2021 pick not 2020. Who knows where we'll be drafting by then

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Guess we were better off with Demarious Thomas dropping a pass before getting injured. Well worth the useless 6th rounders 

I guess I didn't realize the Jets only traded for him to play in 1 game. 

If he catches 20 balls this year he's worth 3 sixth round picks since picks in those round overwhelming contribute nothing to a team ever.

You CAN'T cast any judgments on Joe Douglas. That's not fair. He came in here almost with his hands tied behind his back. We must wait and see how he does drafting. DRAFTING is the only way we'll know if our GM was a good hire and if the future s looking up for this team.

Now, we CAN criticize the moves he's made or more importantly the lack thereof....

Going into TC with only one kicker was DUMB and it violates basic roster management principles. How he managed the kicking situation is a real head scratcher.

We needed a WR with Quincy done for the year, so JD traded for one who knows the Gase system.

It was a 6th round pick - in 2021!  That's about as close to nothing as you can get.

We're not dealing from a position of strength here - these are the types of moves we're going to have to live with this year.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

We needed a WR with Quincy done for the year, so JD traded for one who knows the Gase system.

It was a 6th round pick - in 2021!  That's about as close to nothing as you can get.

We're not dealing from a position of strength here - these are the types of moves we're going to have to live with this year.

Nah, you take a shot on a young kid - either someone on our team or poach from someone's practice squad.  You don't give up picks for washed up players.

Even if it didn't cost us a pick - would rather give youth a shot.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, choon328 said:

Any pick after the 3rd round is 80% of the time a wasted pick. It's been studied and that's a fact. 

And it's a 2021 pick not 2020. Who knows where we'll be drafting by then

We’ll remember that the next time we stay pat and lose a better pick earlier instead of moving up ~10 slots in round 4 (or a handful of slots at the top of round 3, or even a couple slots at the top of round 2) because the GM didn’t want to waste/part with a 6th round pick. 

FFS how many times did the last GM trade down a few drafts ago, to recover any/all the “worthless” late round comp picks he pissed away by signing qualifying UFAs that blew up in his face?

I agree it’s not the end of the world, as we could recover that pick by moving down ourselves to the tune of my first sentence above, but we shouldn’t have had to if the plan wasn’t Enunwa who goes on IR every year.

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nah, you take a shot on a young kid - either someone on our team or poach from someone's practice squad.  You don't give up picks for washed up players.

Even if it didn't cost us a pick - would rather give youth a shot.

I'd rather have done both. I've no problem bringing in vets, but I would like to see some young prospects added too. I really wanted Keelan Doss when the Raiders cut him originally, and now they have brought him back on a guaranteed deal to prise him away from the Jacksonville PS.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We’ll remember that the next time we stay pat and lose a better pick earlier instead of moving up ~10 slots in round 4 (or a handful of slots at the top of round 3, or even a couple slots at the top of round 2) because the GM didn’t want to waste/part with a 6th round pick. 

FFS how many times did the last GM trade down a few drafts ago, to recover any/all the “worthless” late round comp picks he pissed away by signing qualifying UFAs that blew up in his face?

I agree it’s not the end of the world, as we could recover that pick by moving down ourselves to the tune of my first sentence above, but we shouldn’t have had to if the plan wasn’t Enunwa who goes on IR every year.

Agreed, and Enunwa is done.

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agreed. The fatal flaw was putting any faith and money into Enunwa.  And then not backfilling the position in the draft or free agency.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Gee it’s almost like this was predictable... almost like some of us said the same damn thing last January. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Joe Douglas has not been impressive so far.  I know it's early but still...

Between this, Kalil and the inexplicable decision not to have more than one kicker in camp - he's not off to a good start.

I completely agree. It’s just way too early to make any judgements. Same for everyone that was praising him a month ago. As Jet fans, we should have learned by now to WAIT before judging but no be afraid to judge when people show signs of sucking. 

1 minute ago, Fantasy Island said:

play young players, find players, have competitions, cut useless players  ie.....everything he is not doing

I do get it to a point, if only because they see better than we which players weren’t at all getting it all summer long.

I don’t think they expected him to be the Thomas of old, but as an experienced, 3rd WR option the name of the game is and was and should have been getting Darnold all the help they can (without massively pissing away thet team’s own potential fortunes).

It’s understandable, for a team that had hopes when it’s young receiving TE got back on the field, and didn’t want to piss away the season in its first month because there was often no one to throw to if Anderson/Hopkins were blanketed. 

As a fan willing to be a little wasteful in the name of furthering Darnold’s development, I can rationalize it, even though it clearly didn’t pan out. I’m more pissed at the preventable reason why:  resting a lot of Darnold’s 2nd year growth on a player who’s almost never 100% and who always ends up on IR (all the while with afterthoughts and other teams’ castoffs on the OL protecting him). 

9 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Do we really want to give Douglas a draft?

Thinks Vedvik is our answer at kicker

Signs Kalil 

Trades for Thomas

Hairston, Berrios, Ryan Griffin, Alex Lewis, Daniel Brown, John Franklin Myers, Harvey Langi, McClellan, Basham, Maulet, Farley, Ficken.

He is desperately trying to put together more talent with scrap heaps... WTF are you guys expecting... Orlando Pace as a FA... I mean seriously the overreaction is insane right now... 

Its not like he is just sitting on his hands and hoping it gets better... He tried to secure a new kicker after a retirement and picked up a guy that Minn. traded for... it didn't work so he got another... He is doing exactly what he is suppose to do. 

He has only been here 4 months if that... jesus guys.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I completely agree. It’s just way too early to make any judgements. Same for everyone that was praising him a month ago. As Jet fans, we should have learned by now to WAIT before judging but no be afraid to judge when people show signs of sucking. 

100% I’m willing to give JD some time, Gase on the other hand ? If what I think is coming ( less than 4 wins ) happens ? One and done for him .

1 minute ago, Jolot said:

100% I’m willing to give JD some time, Gase on the other hand ? If what I think is coming ( less than 4 wins ) happens ? One and done for him .

It all depends on how he coaches. Regardless of wins and losses, we saw Bowles do things that were unforgivable and knew he had to go. Gase is held back by his QB being out AND the roster being a dumpster fire. If he goes 4-12 playing backups and young guys in anticipation of the roster purge this offseason, that’s fine by me. We need a complete overhaul. 

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I agree It's way to early to make judgements about his long-term viability but it's fair to make judgements on his performance to date.  And it hasn't been good.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Gee it’s almost like this was predictable... almost like some of us said the same damn thing last January. 

Yeah but he was so brilliant that we weren’t locked into Enunwa for more than 1 year, remember?

Oh wait — that’s not true either. 

My guess is we are locked into guaranteeing his next year’s salary (and therefore his roster spot) as well since it’s probably guaranteed for injury. That is, unless Enunwa miraculously (and stupidly) demonstrates he’s absolutely 100% back up to speed, with no lingering effects, before the season begins.

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Seriously.  It’s like Groundhog Day with these discussions every year.   Same s**t different year, same results.  

If we continue to draft DL in the first round and basically ignore the OL we should only expect the same sh--

Again, most of you loved the QW pick - I just don't get it.

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

It all depends on how he coaches. Regardless of wins and losses, we saw Bowles do things that were unforgivable and knew he had to go. Gase is held back by his QB being out AND the roster being a dumpster fire. If he goes 4-12 playing backups and young guys in anticipation of the roster purge this offseason, that’s fine by me. We need a complete overhaul. 

I would agree if he was a first year coach ..but this is Cleveland Eric Mangini all over again , and Gase actually doesn’t even have the resume Mangini had tbh , pull the plug . 

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree It's way to early to make judgements about his long-term viability but it's fair to make judgements on his performance to date.  And it hasn't been good.

I agree, it’s just not enough to really question him yet. Early performance is questionable at best. That trade for DT really did it for me. 

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Not I.  

Fair enough - but I'm sure you've seen this board love the pick - beyond any rational thinking.  

I'm trying to keep a clear head and understand the value of DL in the league today.  Taking a DT that early he better turn out to be Aaron Donald (or close) otherwise you're pretty much wasting a pick on one of countless big bodies that you can plug in to stop the run.

2 minutes ago, Jolot said:

I would agree if he was a first year coach ..but this is Cleveland Eric Mangini all over again , and Gase actually doesn’t even have the resume Mangini had tbh , pull the plug . 

Fair enough but that’s most likely not going to happen so I’d just buckle up for the ride, give it a chance and hope for the best after next offseason. 

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Fair enough - but I'm sure you've seen this board love the pick - beyond any rational thinking.  

I'm trying to keep a clear head and understand the value of DL in the league today.  Taking a DT that early he better turn out to be Aaron Donald (or close) otherwise you're pretty much wasting a pick on one of countless big bodies that you can plug in to stop the run.

I don’t disagree at all. 

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Agreed.

I think part of the process of maximizing value of a top 10 pick is using it on a position that is difficult to fill in FA.  Safety, interior DL -- you can get guys who can play in FA.  WR1, CB1, Edge, OT -- top guys rarely make it to FA in their prime.  This team can afford to double dip at all of those positions.  So many holes at so many positions of need.  We are likely looking at a 2-year rebuild for Douglas.  We have already been rebuilding for 9 years -- whats two more?

And right now, you are looking spot on in your offseason comments about Gase.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Philc1 said:

You defended Mac for years and now you defend the guy who signed Vedvik and traded a pick for a clearly done WR

I LOVE how you love to make sh*t up to prove an agenda.

I thought Mac did an okay job in his first year, then criticized a vast majority of his draft picks.  All I ever said was he didn't do everything poorly.  He made some solid trades, and found some bottom end talent with UDFA, which is true.

But you turned it into me being a "Mac lover" because I would not agree with your narrative that he did everything poorly.  There is no situation in life that is that black and white.  None.

Now, you are criticizing Douglas because he signed Vedvik and Thomas.  What exactly is a GM suppose to do when he gets hired AFTER free agency and the draft is over?  I didn't realize there were All-pro kickers and WR's left on the market begging to come play for the Jets.

In two years, if Douglas drafts poorly (like Mac did) and signs a bunch of over-priced, under-performing FA's (like Mac), then I will start questioning his capabilities.  But to even hold an opinion on his performance because he brought in a kicker off the scrap heap (who everyone WANTED him to bring in I might add months ago) and he didn't work out, and he brought in a WR that Gase probably asked for because he would know Gases' system is just straight up dumb.

You seem to know a lot about the game.  And I get the Jets bring out the worst in fans, but come on man....

15 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Do we really want to give Douglas a draft?

Thinks Vedvik is our answer at kicker

Signs Kalil 

Trades for Thomas

This just keeps getting better.

Joe Douglas hasn't even been here four months and you want him fired.

AND Jets fans have a reputation that we have folks because of.....