Mike McCarthy

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It's not the narrative I want.  It's just the narrative, man.  Purging McCarthy was the best thing the Packers could do for both their team and their QB.  They got it right.  Aaron Rodgers has finally been able to throw away the playbook they'd been using since 2009.  In fact, it had dust on it because he wasn't even opening it anymore.

Several people in this thread can't seem to understand mutual exclusivity.  If I say McCarthy is bad that doesn't mean I'm saying Gase deserves a pass.  They could both be bad choices, and it's looking like they might be.  The idea here that somehow McCarthy wouldn't have a Luke Falk led Jets team heading towards its 3rd loss is nuts.

This is where i disagree because McCarthy my not be coaching because after the jets job with  young Qb what other job would look appealing when you can make a few million for doing nothing.

We dont know would have won with this team but at least he has a better track record then gase and more then likely would have had better results. You can not blame everything on MC=cCarthy saying his playbook was bad without looking at the whole picture in Green bay, how much responsibility does the QB have for not listening to the coach or changing plays? The narrative is there is enough blame in what happened in Green-bay for both to be gone but they signed Rodgers to a huge contract and he is not going anywhere.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

Meanwhile we hired a coach with a loosing record, no record of developing a young qb successfully, 43 straight drives no points that is disgusting

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rammagen said:

This is where i disagree because McCarthy my not be coaching because after the jets job with  young Qb what other job would look appealing when you can make a few million for doing nothing.

We dont know would have won with this team but at least he has a better track record then gase and more then likely would have had better results. You can not blame everything on MC=cCarthy saying his playbook was bad without looking at the whole picture in Green bay, how much responsibility does the QB have for not listening to the coach or changing plays? The narrative is there is enough blame in what happened in Green-bay for both to be gone but they signed Rodgers to a huge contract and he is not going anywhere.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

Meanwhile we hired a coach with a loosing record, no record of developing a young qb successfully, 43 straight drives no points that is disgusting

I mostly agree with this.  But the Packers decided to keep the QB and fire the HC.  So far, that decision looks like the smart one.

Again, there's no defense for Gase at this point, even without his starting QB.  I simply didn't (and still don't) like the idea of a McCarthy-Maccagnan regime running this team.  Maybe the Jets would be 1-2 instead of 0-3 after today....we have no idea.  But I'm more in favor of trying newer, younger offensive-minded coaches.....we may have simply hired the wrong one.  If this thread had been titled Kingsbury, LaFleur, or Zac Taylor I don't think I'd be in here posting so much. lol

5 minutes ago, STLuLu said:

Did they look any different with their 1st and 2nd string QBs?

Yes.  The Jets were winning 16-0 against a Buffalo team that I think is very, very good.  The Bills are about to be 3-0 and have given up 14 points in the past 2 weeks....they gave up 16 to the Jets in one half to a QB with Malaria. lol

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I mostly agree with this.  But the Packers decided to keep the QB and fire the HC.  So far, that decision looks like the smart one.

Again, there's no defense for Gase at this point, even without his starting QB.  I simply didn't (and still don't) like the idea of a McCarthy-Maccagnan regime running this team.  Maybe the Jets would be 1-2 instead of 0-3 after today....we have no idea.  But I'm more in favor of trying newer, younger offensive-minded coaches.....we may have simply hired the wrong one.  If this thread had been titled Kingsbury, LaFleur, or Zac Taylor I don't think I'd be in here posting so much. lol

There was no way to ditch the qb because of the cap issues it would have caused. In real world both should have been fired.

Mccaginn would have been gone next yr, the timing of the fire would have been different. McCarthy should have had more power because of his track record for the draft and the building of this team.

Hiring Gase then letting Mr.Coffee run the offseason and the draft and then firing him was a crap show from the get go.  They should have fired everyone hired Douglas and let him make his choice, even if it meant waiting for Douglas till the supebowl run was over and the eagles could not block him from moving

2 minutes ago, rammagen said:

There was no way to ditch the qb because of the cap issues it would have caused. In real world both should have been fired.

Mccaginn would have been gone next yr, the timing of the fire would have been different. McCarthy should have had more power because of his track record for the draft and the building of this team.

Hiring Gase then letting Mr.Coffee run the offseason and the draft and then firing him was a crap show from the get go.  They should have fired everyone hired Douglas and let him make his choice, even if it meant waiting for Douglas till the supebowl run was over and the eagles could not block him from moving

Are you really saying the only reason the Packers didn't get rid of Aaron Rodgers was because of his contract?

26 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Let's be real.  Nobody here has any way of knowing anything. lol

I mean, we all know the Jets would be heading towards 3-0 and Darnold wouldn't have caught Mono by sharing Gase's smelling salts if McCarthy was hired, right?

No but history is usually a pretty good indicator.  

58 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Am I in a time machine?

That ship has sailed, bro.  It's the 2nd Quarter of Week 3.  Mike McCarthy isn't coming here at half-time.

How many job offers did he turn down this past offseason?  Dude couldn't win with Aaron Rodgers.  You think he'd be winning here with Luke Falk and some retread defensive coordinator?

EDIT:  I'm not defending Gase.  He's been bad so far.  I AM saying that McCarthy would be just as bad...at a minimum.

True, more silly threads about silly sh*t. Why didn't  we draft this guy or hire this guy, etc......

Pointless, but threads a plenty cuz it's fun.

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Are you really saying the only reason the Packers didn't get rid of Aaron Rodgers was because of his contract?

that is part of the reason yes (cap number below for last yr), also it is easier to change coaches then a qb that is a fan favorite. Someone took fall when there was enough blame for the all three the gm who was let go the yr before, the coach and qb

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

2018 cap hit for Rodgers

Year   Age Base Salary Signing Roster Workout Cap Hit Dead Cap Yearly Cash  
2018 Contract details by year 34 $1,100,000 $11,500,000 $7,800,000 $500,000 $20,900,000 $80,300,000 $66,900,000($66,900,000)  
2019 Contract details by year 35 $1,100,000 $11,500,000 $13,400,000 $500,000 $26,500,000 $59,900,000 $15,000,000($81,900,000)  
2020 Contract details by year 36 $1,100,000 $11,500,000 $19,500,000 $500,000 $32,600,000 $53,700,000 $21,100,000($103,000,000)  
2021 Contract details by year 37 $14,700,000 $11,500,000 $6,800,000 $500,000 $33,500,000 $23,000,000 $22,000,000($125,000,000)

We blew it when we told Matt Rhule he couldn't pick his own staff.
Guy was unanimously supported and praised by everyone. He's a winner who is going places. He's going to wind up a NFL coach sometime soon and likely have a long tenure. 

I get the big 12 stigma. Beating OK and Texas would be big but I was curious when he was interviewed. Unfortunately the Jets needed more than a coach so the process was flawed. The Jets needed a different approach and wasn’t crazy about Darnold having FaceTime sessions with Gase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yes.  The Jets were winning 16-0 against a Buffalo team that I think is very, very good.  The Bills are about to be 3-0 and have given up 14 points in the past 2 weeks....they gave up 16 to the Jets in one half to a QB with Malaria. lol

The D scored most of those points with a TD and a safety.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

He was too expensive for the Johnsons. They do not like good coaches because they dont come cheap. 

According to Francesa a bunch of Packers coaches and players went to Woody and Chrissy and threw McCarthy under the bus and said he was the worst coach ever and a toxic personality

So?  The Johnsons turned down McCarthy and hired the worst coach ever who is a toxic personality Adam Gase

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

According to Francesa a bunch of Packers coaches and players went to Woody and Chrissy and threw McCarthy under the bus and said he was the worst coach ever and a toxic personality

So?  The Johnsons turned down McCarthy and hired the worst coach ever who is a toxic personality Adam Gase

So we picked the younger of two evils?  Seems legit.

Just now, rammagen said:

the point is you you dont know that neither do I but on going by track records one has won a super bowl and the other has a loosing record. based on that alone who would have hired when giving a chance?

McCarthy has a Super Bowl trophy, a dozen playoffs appearances, developed Aaron Rodgers etc.

But Adam friggin Gase is somehow better GTFO

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Am I in a time machine?

That ship has sailed, bro.  It's the 2nd Quarter of Week 3.  Mike McCarthy isn't coming here at half-time.

How many job offers did he turn down this past offseason?  Dude couldn't win with Aaron Rodgers.  You think he'd be winning here with Luke Falk and some retread defensive coordinator?

EDIT:  I'm not defending Gase.  He's been bad so far.  I AM saying that McCarthy would be just as bad...at a minimum.

LMAO. Comparing McCarthy with Gase should get you ban for a couple of weeks.  BTW the defense has been the bright spot on this team.   They played well against the Bills and Browns and this game could had been competitive if not for the offense.  McCarthy only resurrected Bret Favre's career and developed Aaron Rodgers after most team projected him to be a certified bust coming out of college.  

6 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I just wanted to point out that the team looked better last year under Bowles with less talent.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

nah.... 

you need to take into consideration all of the injuries.. it started with Avery Williamson blowing his ACL in preseason, now we have a large amount of injuries...

to make matters worse Sam decided to channel "Broadway Joe" only to find out he can't handle all the ladies, lol.

Gase looks completely lost, his system appears to blow hog balls. I am prepared to give him a few games after the bye week when we get Sam back, a more game ready Kalil, Herndon, Demaryius Thomas, CJ Mosely, Q Williams etc.

edit: and NO I did not want to hire Gase, but this team has a cloud of horrible bad luck over it right now. We all knew this front half of the schedule was brutal and if we actually tried to find a kicker instead of going with Vedvik we at least beat the Bills like we should have.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Stark said:

nah.... 

you need to take into consideration all of the injuries.. it started with Avery Williamson blowing his ACL in preseason, now we have a large amount of injuries...

to make matters worse Sam decided to channel "Broadway Joe" only to find out he can't handle all the ladies, lol.

Gase looks completely lost, his system appears to blow hog balls. I am prepared to give him a few games after the bye week when we get Sam back, a more game ready Kalil, Herndon, Demaryius Thomas, CJ Mosely, Q Williams etc.

edit: and NO I did not want to hire Gase, but this team has a cloud of horrible bad luck over it right now. We all knew this front half of the schedule was brutal and if we actually tried to find a kicker instead of going with Vedvik we at least beat the Bills like we should have.

Crazy thing is Gase will be 0-7 by week 8 

His defenders are gonna be very quiet soon