This is why you don't draft safeties with top 10 picks

11 minutes ago, Bugg said:

With all due respect, they won because they schemed well for a safety blitz on a 2 point conversion. Granted the penalties were off the charts, but the defense over the last 2 Dallas drives did not make any big plays spare the one sack(which was negated by the ridiculous penalty on the very next play). Again, Adams is a nice player, but there was a point over those 2 drives SOMEBODY on the Jets defense could've stepped up and prevented things from coming down to that one play. That did not happen. 

LOL you don't know that. Had he not played the whole game due to injury? Jamal was all over the field in the Cowboys game. Against the run and against the pass. If that was Miles out there this could have been a blowout. Maybe not. But I would bet it would have not come down to that 2pt conversion play. 

12 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

And said Safety was the guy who disrupted the QB on the most important play of the game .

The big play he made on the last 2 Dallas drives that would have prevented that situation from deciding the game did not happen. 

As to the play, they sniffed out a quick pass to Witten and brought middle pressure; a good read all around. But keep coming back to this; for 2 Dallas drives this defense (again hurt by several nonsense penalties) wasn't much more than a speed bump to the Dallas offense. You guys want to throw a parade based on one very good play and not talk about the 10-15 not so great defensive plays before that which made it necessary. 

10 minutes ago, PepPep said:

LOL you don't know that. Had he not played the whole game due to injury? Jamal was all over the field in the Cowboys game. Against the run and against the pass. If that was Miles out there this could have been a blowout. Maybe not. But I would bet it would have not come down to that 2pt conversion play. 

The great play the defense made over the last 2 drives which in theory may have made the desperation of the 2 point play not be needed was....? 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If the Jets had a passable OL yesterday, they’re able to pound the ball in the second half and they win the game by three TDs. You really wouldn’t trade Jamal Adams for a mid-first pick and use that to draft OL? Even though Dak Prescott—same as Josh Allen did—was able to drive the field for multiple TDs at will against this Jamal Adams defense when he needed to? 

What are you even doing? Sam balled out yesterday, but him not being able to ice the game on an easy third down read gave Dak the ball back. If Sam had converted there, Dak wouldn't have been able to drive down the field to score. Also, JA is the reason they ultimately failed to tie the game, even after the multiple touchdowns.

You're dangerously close to reach Pac levels on the other side.

3 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

What are you even doing? Sam balled out yesterday, but him not being able to ice the game on an easy third down read gave Dak the ball back. If Sam had converted there, Dak wouldn't have been able to drive down the field to score. Also, JA is the reason they ultimately failed to tie the game, even after the multiple touchdowns.

You're dangerously close to reach Pac levels on the other side.

Not one sentence in this post disputes what Shane is saying.  The OL was a big problem yesterday in both the run-blocking and pass-blocking departments. 

If building around Sam is the most important thing (who would disagree with this?), no one should get accused of being "Bizarro Pac" for suggesting trading ANY defensive piece (outside of Quinnen and Mosley) to make the offense better.  We need 5 new starting Offensive Linemen as early as next season.  5!  

14 hours ago, sourceworx said:

No QB for weeks, and the needle didn't move at all because of Jamal Adams. Sam comes back, and the entire dynamic of the team changes. Suddenly the O-line, receivers, backs and tight ends are better. That is why you only use first round picks on QBs, guys who protect QBs, or guys who harass QBs. You don't waste your time with safeties, defensive tackles, or middle linebackers. You get those guys in the third, fourth, and fifth rounds.

No position affects a team like the QB.  That said, with good QB play we won yesterday's game because Jamal Adams is a beast.  He made a #of plays not the least of which was foiling the 2 pt conversion. Adams is indeed a top 5 talent in the draft.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not one sentence in this post disputes what Shane is saying.  The OL was a big problem yesterday in both the run-blocking and pass-blocking departments. 

If building around Sam is the most important thing (who would disagree with this?), no one should get accused of being "Bizarro Pac" for suggesting trading ANY defensive piece (outside of Quinnen and Mosley) to make the offense better.  We need 5 new starting Offensive Linemen as early as next season.  5!  

He just wanted to get to the “you’re like Pac” joke.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Bugg said:

With all due respect, they won because they schemed well for a safety blitz on a 2 point conversion. Granted the penalties were off the charts, but the defense over the last 2 Dallas drives did not make any big plays spare the one sack(which was negated by the ridiculous penalty on the very next play). Again, Adams is a nice player, but there was a point over those 2 drives SOMEBODY on the Jets defense could've stepped up and prevented things from coming down to that one play. That did not happen. 

Conversely, you can look at it as with the game on the line on the most important defensive play of the game, JA stepped up. It's all narrative. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Dude my post was disputing his stupid logic jumps discussing JA on the field yesterday. Not once did I mention anything about whether or not to trade JA in that post. My post stands.

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Dude my post was disputing his stupid logic jumps discussing JA on the field yesterday. Not once did I mention anything about whether or not to trade JA in that post. My post stands.

So what are your views on whether to trade Adams, since Shane asked the question in the post you quoted.  

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

you think if jets scored and did the KO that dallas woulda been UNABLE TO DRIVE?

they all woulda just, rolled over? smh. ignore list...

I said converting that third down would have iced the game. Not once did I mention anything about them scoring. If Sam converts that third down, they'd bleed out the clock. Dak wouldn't even have gotten the ball back.

But yes, please ignore me.

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Dude, but you also didn't see what this team is like with Jamal out. I mean clearly having your QB out has a much bigger impact, everyone knows that, but if we had Rontez Miles starting at safety instead of Adams I guarantee you that would hurt our secondary AND run game and this defense would be a lot worse than it is right now and we would have lost this game. 

Hurts our team? Yes. Losing good players hurts your team.

But it wouldn't cripple your team the way losing your QB does. We'd still be competitive without Jamal. We weren't without Sam 

It’s nitpicking but in the famous breer article we learned that maccagnan passed on one QB class entirely for the next one 

history will not be kind to big macc on that one, but once you take the QBs out of the mix Adams was clearly the bpa 

top 10 is high for a safety but 3rd round? Lol

not only is it common to see them drafted in the first round the rise of the 3 safety look shows how important VERSATILE safeties are like Adams and James have become. 

This board needs to have a group therapy session where we cry and sing sad songs and burn coffee cups in a bonfire to finally ******* get over this 

because Adams plays the game with heart passion brains effort and results. 

he plays all over the field and wrecks plays all day long 

its a Shane some of you can’t enjoy it 

if the Jets extend him and they go to the playoffs a few times he’s going into the ring of honor 

• Post of the Week 1

I like how the anti-Jamal crowd puts it all on his shoulders like he’s supposed to score points.

The same crowd that doesn’t take into consideration how putrid the offense was without Sam..consistently putting the defense on the field and in bad spots 

I’m not sure we all watch the same games..every game the Jets play whether a win or they’re getting blown out Jamal is flying around the field making tackles, batting down passes or making a hit that negates a completion. 

What’s the expectation? He needs to have a pick 6 every game to justify being drafted at 6? 

He’s a baller..he wants to win..he leads by example and brings his A game every week. I’m thankful we have someone like that on our team..despite where he was drafted. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If the Jets had a passable OL yesterday, they’re able to pound the ball in the second half and they win the game by three TDs. You really wouldn’t trade Jamal Adams for a mid-first pick and use that to draft OL? Even though Dak Prescott—same as Josh Allen did—was able to drive the field for multiple TDs at will against this Jamal Adams defense when he needed to? 

lol you wanted to trade adams for solomon thomas just last year. sit down 

1 minute ago, InstantClassic said:

I like how the anti-Jamal crowd puts it all on his shoulders like he’s supposed to score points.

The same crowd that doesn’t take into consideration how putrid the offense was without Sam..consistently putting the defense on the field and in bad spots 

I’m not sure we all watch the same games..every game the Jets play whether a win or they’re getting blown out Jamal is flying around the field making tackles, batting down passes or making a hit that negates a completion. 

What’s the expectation? He needs to have a pick 6 every game to justify being drafted at 6? 

He’s a baller..he wants to win..he leads by example and brings his A game every week. I’m thankful we have someone like that on our team..despite where he was drafted. 

people that love whining hate adams 

3 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

Can we take into consideration Dallas marched down the field with little or no problem (if aided by ridiculous PI calls) in their last 2 drives and until the 2 point conversion Jets defenders did almost nothing to stop it? 

I am overjoyed they won. 

But as usual Jets fans want to hold a parade without any context of what really happened. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Which is interesting because by saying you're like Pac but on the other side of the spectrum, he's recognizing Pac is always wrong.  Pac wants to pay Jamal Adams $14M a year.  Pac is wrong.  

Whether or not you care for my delivery it's pretty much common knowledge I have a 96.4% accuracy rate with predictions and opinions.

I never said anything about what Jamal will command but it will be top 1 or 2 safety money and Douglas will happily fork it over. 

Period.

Darnold can put on a Gold Jacket in 20 years and people will still bitch about taking Adams over Mahomes....20 years later. 

We get it. Mahomes should have been the pick. Ok. Fine. Safeties don’t have the same impact as FQBs. Ok. As much as I love Jamal on this team I flip him today for a 1st because we need picks to rebuild. I get it. Why continue to beat the dead horse, esp after a win....that was sealed by that box safety you keep mentioning???

12 minutes ago, Larz said:

It’s nitpicking but in the famous breer article we learned that maccagnan passed on one QB class entirely for the next one 

history will not be kind to big macc on that one, but once you take the QBs out of the mix Adams was clearly the bpa 

top 10 is high for a safety but 3rd round? Lol

not only is it common to see them drafted in the first round the rise of the 3 safety look shows how important VERSATILE safeties are like Adams and James have become. 

This board needs to have a group therapy session where we cry and sing sad songs and burn coffee cups in a bonfire to finally ******* get over this 

because Adams plays the game with heart passion brains effort and results. 

he plays all over the field and wrecks plays all day long 

its a Shane some of you can’t enjoy it 

if the Jets extend him and they go to the playoffs a few times he’s going into the ring of honor 

I mean, avoiding a QB class entirely is one thing.  I like Sam and am happy with him.  We got extremely lucky in getting him, but that's been discussed ad nauseum.

But it's another thing to pass on a QB class then take a BOX SAFETY at 6!  Even if you want to say it was excusable to avoid those QB's, you CANNOT excuse passing on Christian McCaffrey and Marshon Lattimore.  Or trading down.  After all, the Chiefs moved up to 10 to take Mahomes, and the Texans moved up to 12 to get Watson.  With some good negotiating, we could have moved down with somebody who wanted Watson or Mahomes.  

11 minutes ago, Pac said:

Whether or not you care for my delivery it's pretty much common knowledge I have a 96.4% accuracy rate with predictions and opinions.

I never said anything about what Jamal will command but it will be top 1 or 2 safety money and Douglas will happily fork it over. 

Period.

Per overthecap.com, top 1 or 2 safety money is $14M a year.  Byard, Mathieu and Landon Collins all make $14M per or north of that.  Earl Thomas gets $13.75M per.  The franchise tag going rate for a Safety would be about $13.5M.

Since you have no idea what Joe Douglas' mentality is, and given that we're reportedly about to be sellers at the trade deadline, I'd hold off on that assumption that Jamal will get a 2nd contract here.  

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not trying to attack.  I'm genuinely curious whether you'd support trading Jamal Adams.  

In that case, I'll point you to my post earlier in the thread.

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Why is it so hard to believe that football is a complimentary game? You need a QB, but you also need everyone else. Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers...the Mount Rushmore of 2000s. None of them have a super bowl ring that didn’t come with a top 10 scoring defense. 

Jamal was hands down the wrong pick when we took him. That’s on Macc, and Macc is long gone. Meanwhile, JA has 100% lived up to being a star. And Sam has proven that he’s fully capable of making the most with the receivers he has at his disposal, so the best thing they can do for Sam right now aside from providing him an OL is to give him a strong defense. Trading away Jamal for anything less than a haul hurts Sam, and as we know, no one is going to give up a haul for a safety.

• Upvote 1