This is why you don't draft safeties with top 10 picks

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Going back to the 2017 draft, who would people rather have drafted over Adams.vesides Mahome because that lick wasn’t never happening. Mccaffrey? I think I’d prefer Adams. Mike Williams picked right after Adams? Maybe Lattimore? I’d still take Adams

Taking Adams over Lattimore would probably be silly atm

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Per overthecap.com, top 1 or 2 safety money is $14M a year.  Byard, Mathieu and Landon Collins all make $14M per or north of that.  Earl Thomas gets $13.75M per.  The franchise tag going rate for a Safety would be about $13.5M.

Since you have no idea what Joe Douglas' mentality is, and given that we're reportedly about to be sellers at the trade deadline, I'd hold off on that assumption that Jamal will get a 2nd contract here.  

Adams is untouchable. He's exactly the kind of player Douglas is looking for you idiot.

• Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Adams is untouchable. He's exactly the kind of player Douglas is looking for you idiot.

1) No player is ever untouchable.  Especially not one that will command as much as $14M per at a non-essential position.  

2) Is he an Offensive Lineman, Pass rusher, WR or Corner?  If not, he isn't someone any GM should prioritize over all other positions.  

3) Link?  Where did Joe Douglas provide his views on Jamal Adams?  He didn't draft Jamal.  He has no ties to Jamal.  

4) Getting emotional.  Nice.  Confirms my viewpoint that few groups of people are more easily triggered than Jamal Adams defenders.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Lattimore has been very inconsistent. No question an elite CB is more important than a safety but lattimore has not been all that great. 

Gotcha. But Yeah most CB are gonna be in today’s NFL bc it sucks and the rules and refs are horrible. CB is a higher risk reward with more holes to poke for fans. I don’t know. I like Adams and Maye now that they’re on the team. Still think they need to keep them long term. But in a redraft, Ramczyk is the guy and it’d be hard not to take Lattimore over Adams...minus QB debate

28 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Going back to the 2017 draft, who would people rather have drafted over Adams.vesides Mahome because that lick wasn’t never happening. Mccaffrey? I think I’d prefer Adams. Mike Williams picked right after Adams? Maybe Lattimore? I’d still take Adams

I wanted Watson or Mike Williams at the time.  

In hindsight, if Mahomes is off the table, I of course would take Watson, with McCaffrey as my 2nd option.  

Did you actually just say you'd prefer Jamal Adams over Christian McCaffrey?  Yikes.  He's keeping the Panthers competitive almost single-handedly.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Thank you.  And yes, I agree, we should look to get a haul for Jamal.  1st and a 5th would be great.  

I’d want at least a 1st and 3rd because there’s still top level OL prospects in the third, but I’d also want it from a bottom half of the league team. And again, no rebuilding team is going to give up picks for an all-pro safety. Maybe a team who feels they’re a S away from the SB might, but even then getting anything more than a second round pick will be tough given that he’ll either be a rental or they’ll have to pay him soon.

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Can we take into consideration Dallas marched down the field with little or no problem (if aided by ridiculous PI calls) in their last 2 drives and until the 2 point conversion Jets defenders did almost nothing to stop it? 

I am overjoyed they won. 

But as usual Jets fans want to hold a parade without any context of what really happened. 

So it’s realistic to have to stop the opposing team every time they have the ball? I don’t understand the logic. Teams put up points in this league..the Jets got the job done.

What parade? We haven’t won a game since last season..I think it’s perfectly fine for us to be happy. All the complainers are the only miserable ones today. 

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I’d want at least a 1st and 3rd because there’s still top level OL prospects in the third, but I’d also want it from a bottom half of the league team. And again, no rebuilding team is going to give up picks for an all-pro safety. Maybe a team who feels they’re a S away from the SB might, but even then getting anything more than a second round pick will be tough given that he’ll either be a rental or they’ll have to pay him soon.

We'll get the 3rd rounder from a Leo trade.  Maybe a late 2nd.  

3 hours ago, Jethead said:

3 hours ago, Pac said:

YEAH!  TELL THAT IDIOT!

high five best friends GIF

2 hours ago, jgb said:

That’s not very nice 

It's ok.  @TeddEY will use that pair of posts in his next research paper on the Dunning-Kruger Effect.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Quite the depreciation on asset for the 6th overall pick. Like buying a new car and driving it off the lot and into a pole!

We traded Darron Lee for a 6th round pick after Macc refused to accept a 5th for him.  Depreciation is the nature of the game for what Joe Douglas inherited, sadly.  Players dropped 2 rounds in value the moment we drafted them under Macc, mostly because they were never as valuable as we thought they were to begin with.  

It doesn't help that Leo is making $14M this year and is about to hit free agency.  Teams have to weigh sending us a pick AND signing Leo to a new contract versus just waiting a few months and picking him up if/when he's a UFA.  The only teams that need him right now are contenders whose run defense is so bad its costing them games.  That's a small pool of teams in consideration.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We traded Darron Lee for a 6th round pick after Macc refused to accept a 5th for him.  Depreciation is the nature of the game for what Joe Douglas inherited, sadly.  Players dropped 2 rounds in value the moment we drafted them under Macc, mostly because they were never as valuable as we thought they were to begin with.  

It doesn't help that Leo is making $14M this year and is about to hit free agency.  Teams have to weigh sending us a pick AND signing Leo to a new contract versus just waiting a few months and picking him up if/when he's a UFA.  The only teams that need him right now are contenders whose run defense is so bad its costing them games.  That's a small pool of teams in consideration.  

Haven't followed any of the trade talks but off the top of my head, the Chiefs can definitely use some help on the interior DL. Their run D looks awful. If there's one thing we know about Leo, it's that he won't generate anything on pass plays, but by golly he'll stop the run. Wonder what the chiefs might be willing to give up.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Haven't followed any of the trade talks but off the top of my head, the Chiefs can definitely use some help on the interior DL. Their run D looks awful. If there's one thing we know about Leo, it's that he won't generate anything on pass plays, but by golly he'll stop the run. Wonder what the chiefs might be willing to give up.

Send KC allllll our defensive players (except Quinnen and Mosley)!  We'll take all your 2020 and 2021 picks.  Thanks!

So we're saying that you can't justify a Safety with a top-10 pick but at the same time arguing we should have taken an RB?  

Sure McCaffrey is amazing this season, but that's hindsight.  Had we drafted him we would be having this exact same conversation while bemoaning how awful our secondary is and how we could have at least gotten Adams instead.

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So we're saying that you can't justify a Safety with a top-10 pick but at the same time arguing we should have taken an RB?  

Sure McCaffrey is amazing this season, but that's hindsight.  Had we drafted him we would be having this exact same conversation while bemoaning how awful our secondary is and how we could have at least gotten Adams instead.

McCaffrey isn't a traditional RB.  He operates as much like a WR as he operates as a RB, if not moreso.  Similar to Le'Veon Bell.  Carolina's WR's aren't very good but it almost doesn't matter because they have McCaffrey.  In the modern NFL, it's a necessity that RB's be good pass-catchers, and McCaffrey is arguably the best RB in that category.  

I'd rather have McCaffrey + cap space spent on Bell over Bell + Adams.  If you haven't noticed, we still give up a lot of pass yardage WITH Adams.  

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Wow so close on your part but alas not to be 

0912DAFD-A63D-4487-BAD2-AC6ACA26C4ED.png

that’s fine, I don’t really care enough to try and make an argument here so I’ll concede. but just FYI the reason I give you crap about your adams bashing isn’t so much that you don’t like him- you weren’t out there pounding the table for any players you really wanted. if you have such strong opinions on draft classes then bring something to the table and put your name on it. because otherwise it’s just weak jocking

10 minutes ago, cant wait said:

that’s fine, I don’t really care enough to try and make an argument here so I’ll concede. but just FYI the reason I give you crap about your adams bashing isn’t so much that you don’t like him- you weren’t out there pounding the table for any players you really wanted. if you have such strong opinions on draft classes then bring something to the table and put your name on it. because otherwise it’s just weak jocking

Weak Jocking was the name of my first LP

• Haha 2

aside- so the PD that Adams had on the 3rd and 2? Are we calling that a PD or a sh*tty TE with sh*tty hands?

Cos that is almost the same play the DB made on Robbie to knock it out in teh first half? So PD or drop?

It's eithe 2 drops or 2 PDs. 

Anyone who isn't comemierda knows its a PD...   thats a super hard play for the offensive play to hold on to.

On 10/13/2019 at 8:51 PM, sourceworx said:

Wrong. The Jets lose today (and badly I might add) without Sam Darnold. Jamal's play is meaningless without the QB breathing life into the team.

so you mean to tell us that quarterback is more of an impact position than safety? this is revolutionary

• Sympathy 1

On 10/13/2019 at 8:33 PM, sourceworx said:

No QB for weeks, and the needle didn't move at all because of Jamal Adams. Sam comes back, and the entire dynamic of the team changes. Suddenly the O-line, receivers, backs and tight ends are better. That is why you only use first round picks on QBs, guys who protect QBs, or guys who harass QBs. You don't waste your time with safeties, defensive tackles, or middle linebackers. You get those guys in the third, fourth, and fifth rounds.

Sourceworx for GM. 

On 10/13/2019 at 8:58 PM, joewilly12 said:

Ok we all agreed Watson and Mahomes would have been the better pick, but our GM didn't make that pick he picked Jamal Adams and he's a helluva player and he had a great game today. So be it nothing to discuss its over, we cant change the past. 

But we can change the present....trade him for a #1. Fortify the OL. I’m not paying a fortune to a box safety. We have greater needs where that money could be allocated.