Why has Jet's Le"Veon Bell disappeared?

1. JETS

Why has Jets’ Le’Veon Bell disappeared?

Updated 6:26 AM; Today 5:42 AM 
New York Jets vs. Philadelphia Eagles, Oct. 6, 2019

Lori M. Nichols | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

New York Jets running back Le'Veon Bell is a shrinking part of the head coach Adam Gase's struggling offense.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jets threw $27 million guaranteed at Le’Veon Bell this offseason. Over the first four games, Adam Gase made sure to get his money’s worth.

The Jets’ head coach spent September feeding his high-priced running back over and over again, knowing he was far and away the most talented player at his disposal.

That apparently wasn’t the game plan during Sunday’s 29-15 loss to the Jaguars at TIAA Bank Field. Bell touched the ball a season-low 12 times; he had nine carries and three catches for a whopping 35 yards.

“Later in the game, I was thinking, ‘Did I go away from (the running game) too soon?’ Gase said. “I was trying to get Lev going a little bit. There weren’t a lot of lanes there, but it’s a tough front to go against.”

There haven’t been many lanes all season, though – Bell’s averaging just 3.2 yards per rush. The offensive line’s inability to open a hole is nothing new.

So why is Gase going away from Bell now?

Sure, the results during those first four games obviously weren’t great. The Jets went 0-4. Bell averaged just 2.9 yards per carry.

But Gase’s instincts were still right: Use the best player available as often as possible, short of burning him out.

Instead, he’s completely gotten away from that since quarterback Sam Darnold returned against the Cowboys.

Obviously, the Jets don’t need to lean quite as heavily on Bell with Darnold back in the lineup. They trust their franchise quarterback to make plays that Luke Falk couldn’t.

But Bell averaged 24.5 touches over those first four games. Since then, he’s averaging just 14.3. That’s a stark drop-off for a three-time Pro Bowler and two-time All-Pro, regardless of who’s playing quarterback.

The strange part is that Bell’s receiving numbers have fallen off just as much as his rushing totals. He’s caught eight passes since Darnold returned, compared to 27 over the first four games.

That makes little sense. On paper, Bell is the perfect security blanket for a young quarterback. He’s also the perfect antidote to defenses blitzing; Darnold should be able to flip short passes to all day long to keep opponents honest.

So far, to his credit, Bell hasn’t shown any public signs of frustration with his diminished role. But it’s fair to wonder how long a player of his caliber – and one accustomed to winning – can suffer through both failure and underuse.

If there was ever an obvious indictment of the absolutely terrible level of play of an OL, its the fact that the Jets have a premier back with multiple skills and he can't function. Just as they have a QB with talent who can't even set his feet before he's swarmed like a sheep by a wolf pack. You can't expect an offense to get any traction in that situation. But you can blame the head coach, I suppose, if it makes you feel better. Even Gase isn't a miracle worker. There are severe limits to how you can compensate a bad OL on offense. One can only wait for the day when Douglas has the opportunity to completely rebuild the line. Until then, the Jets won't compete. Add to that a poor secondary and you've got a 3-13 team.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Lay the phuck off of Bell. The guy is the only one who shows up game in and game out. No OL is the problem not Bell. The man is a straight out player and is not the problem. I have said it before and I will say it again, If you can't win the line of scrimmage, you ain't winning the game. That is the problem with this team on both sides of the ball.

The article seems to be blaming play calling and Gase. 

I think folks are reading too much into the situation. We fell behind in past two games and went away from run... And Gase has always over relied on the pass. 

Don't think it's anything to do with an agenda against Bell. Bell has been a total pro since arriving - I think yesterday may have really gotten to him though as he didn't make him self available to media after the game.

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I thought his running stle never fit the zone blocking scheme that Gase runs.  Typically it’s a one-cut and go type runner that excels in it, Bell is deliberate and patient.  

Does our oline fit that scheme either?

bell is legit and one of the only  talents we have on the entire team-we have about 4 good players and bell is one of them-gase is terrible he needs to use bells strengths feed him often and lots of short passes to him which also requires you to throw down the field some too.

gase hates name guys why I dont know but he does-in Miami he set up his stars to fail and they all hated him-

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I thought his running style never fit the zone blocking scheme that Gase runs.  Typically it’s a one-cut and go type runner that excels in it, Bell is deliberate and patient.  

isn't that what Pittsburgh ran ? Bell would basicallly pick and choose his holes from what Steelers O-Line would open for him. I think that is what they are trying to run but it just is not working.

18 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

He definitely looks a bit slower. But the biggest problem is his style. He doesn't hit the hole like he's shot out of a cannon. He stops and dances a bit and with our line it will never work.

Yup.  His style is not working here.  And john connor has filled in just fine in pitt.  I think its become apparent that pitt made leveon bell, not the other way around.

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Yup.  His style is not working here.  And john connor has filled in just fine in pitt.  I think its become apparent that pitt made leveon bell, not the other way around.

that is nonsense -connor is not as good as bell but just because he is good does not mean that pitt made bell and then made connor it is pitt is well coached and pitt is better at identifying players with talent

You don't even need to read the article to figure this out.

Osemele, gone.  Enunwa, gone.  Herndon, gone.  Rookie left tackle.  Retired center.  QB3 who is now bagging groceries for half the games.  QB1 a 22 year old coming back from a muscle disease.

If I were a defensive coordinator, hmm, maybe I'd sell out to stop the run and dare the quarterback to beat me.  I don't know, call me crazy.  What do I know, I only play Madden.

SAR I