If JD really wants to tear this apart, Is Darnold playing for his job these next 9 games?

If the Jets really are planning to trade Adams, Bell and whoever else, and not resign Robbie, an already bad roster will be even worse. It looks like that's the plan. Tear it down and start again from scratch, basically.

Do you think they will keep Darnold around on such a bad team? It will be even harder to develop him with nobody around him.

Do you think these last 9 games are going to be a factor in whether they keep him or look to move him also? Or will they still build around him?

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 8
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

If the Jets really are planning to trade Adams, Bell and whoever else, and not resign Robbie, an already bad roster will be even worse. It looks like that's the plan. Tear it down and start again from scratch, basically.

Do you think they will keep Darnold around on such a bad team? It will be even harder to develop him with nobody around him.

Do you think these last 9 games are going to be a factor in whether they keep him or look to move him also? Or will they still build around him?

Darnold hasn't proven a damn thing.  If Douglas wants the team to succeed, he needs to evaluate the play coming from the QB position as well as every other position, and improve the roster accordingly.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I don't think the premise is correct - It sounds like the Jets were not planning to trade either Adams or Bell. 

But, to answer your question, I think Darnold would have to be historically bad down the stretch for them to move on from him after this season. 

The only scenario in which I could envision us moving on from Sam so soon would be if we go 1-15/2-14 (ish) and we are sitting there in April staring at Tua. If that happened, it likely means that Darnold was awful down the stretch against some bad defenses - that would be a reason to seriously consider it. 

Having said that, I think that scenario is extremely unlikely. I think Darnold has shown enough flashes that the Jets will almost certainly choose to build around him going forward. I also think he will have his moments against some of these meh teams coming up

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I can't imagine they're even considering getting rid of Darnold.  If we end up with the #1 overall pick and Joe D loves Tua then maybe we'll have a Rosen/Kyler Murray situation.  But other than that, no.

Except Kyler was a better prospect than Rosen in every way and Darnold is better than Tua in every way. 

Rosen didn’t have a single game with a passer rating in the 90s his rookie year... that’s why they traded him 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Except Kyler was a better prospect than Rosen in every way and Darnold is better than Tua in every way. 

Rosen didn’t have a single game with a passer rating in the 90s his rookie year... that’s why they traded him 

I'm all in on Darnold.  I'm just presenting a scenario where the Jets could potentially move on from him.  I  don't think it will happen though (nor do I want it to).  The only thing I'm worried about is it getting so toxic here that Darnold wants out (and has friends and family telling him to get out).

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1.  It is the NFL.  Everybody is playing for their job every week.  Ryan Kalil notwithstanding.  If the guy has 3+ picks a week for the next 9 they'd better not be sitting around mumbling "franchise QB." 

2. If they were doing this complete tear down, we'd probably have heard rumors of them shopping him.  There are only 2 reasons they wouldn't - they are not taking offers, and/or no other team values him that highly.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Look at his response.  He didnt say “yes”.  He said “i think we do”.

Very telling.

Haha, something tells me that you didn't actually watch the press conference. 

I think you might want to check it out. It might give your post some more . . . "context"

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

We get that you dont like Darnold and think he will be a long time JAG. So let's imagine for a second that you are right about him.

What would be your plan for addressing the QB position going forward?? No revisionist history we should have drafted someone else stuff, but 14 in Green is the new GM of Jets starting today what is your QB plan? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

We get that you dont like Darnold and think he will be a long time JAG. So let's imagine for a second that you are right about him.

What would be your plan for addressing the QB position going forward?? No revisionist history we should have drafted someone else stuff, but 14 in Green is the new GM of Jets starting today what is your QB plan? 

Simple answer from him. Probably tank for Tua, lol

• Thumb Down 1

Are people really trying to take something from Douglas’s presser comments?  What do you expect him to say, “Darnold looks like trash, but for 1 half of one game this year, and we’re gonna look to move on from him.”  Come on, you can’t be this simple...

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Everybody has to be playing for their jobs these next nine games...the team is that bad. Darnold has to stop with the careless interceptions, or he might be in the broadcast booth early, like Mark Sanchez

Not a putdown but:

First, I believe NFL players are playing for their jobs on both winning AND losing teams every game re: what have you done for me lately? Secondly, you are right that he has to stop with the wtf-type interceptions, but I believe he will ala: Manning, Favre, Elway etc. The kid just needs to be comfortable/experienced with the offense, and cognizant/experienced reading pro level defenses. Sunday was his 1st game of his second season...

Maybe a putdown:

I don't see any similarities between Sam and one-read Mark. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Scout the top QBs this year.  If you love one, you take him.  If you don’t, you hope to trade down to someone who does and build the team.  Take a late round QB.  Re-sign Bridgewater if possible, or another QB with experience.  Have an actual QB competition.  If Darnold loses, trade him if you get a good offer.  Repeat the scouting process, and find someone better.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Before I answer your question, I'll explain what I was asking in the OP really slowly for you again, because you're so enraptured with Sam, you are always looking for perceived slights aimed at him, and find them even when they're not there.

In my premise, which isn't far fetched, along with Leo yesterday, Douglas may look to move any and all asets, such as Bell, Adams and who knows else. He probably isn't resigning Robbie, and any other expiring contracts. He is looking to acquire as many draft picks as possible, and in doing so is willing to tear this roster apart.

Keeping up so far?

That brings up Darnold, who is without question the biggest asset the Jets have. My question was, NOW PAY ATTENTION... do you think Darnold's play over these next 9 games will have any bearing on whether or not the Jets decide to keep him, or use him as another chip to rebuild this roster from the ground up? GOT THAT?

Obviously, if Darnold plays well, they'll keep him, but if he continues to struggle, would they consider it?

Now to YOUR question.

If the Jets do decide to move on from Darnold, and rebuild from scratch, here is my plan.

1. Draft OL heavily in the next two drafts

2.draft as many CBs and potential edge rushing types as possible

3 Look to draft one or two WRs, at least one of whom is a big strong target, ala a Mike Evans type

4. After I have most of that done, I look to move on from my "caretaker QB" and draft my franchise type young guy. I'm now in a position, with a solid roster, to package future picks to move up to do so if necessary.

Oh, one more thing. After I draft that guy, I don't hand him the job, with no viable competition around him (sound familiar?) I either trade for a solid veteran back up, or I draft another guy, just in case.

• Thumb Down 1

Nope....

Darnold will get at least next season to prove his worth.....changing QBs literally does nothing to move the needle right now. You improve the team around him and see how he performs as the starter with a (hopefully) retooled roster....esp at OL. Reevaluate at the end of next season...

3 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Nope....

Darnold will get at least next season to prove his worth.....changing QBs literally does nothing to move the needle right now. You improve the team around him and see how he performs as the starter with a (hopefully) retooled roster....esp at OL. Reevaluate at the end of next season...

I agree he gets a 3rd year also, no matter what. I just don't know if that's fair to Darnold.

My concern as stated, was what chance would he hve to develop with an even worse roster around him if Douglas decides to tear down the roster, getting rid of guys like Robbie, Bell, Adams and whoever else?

9 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Before I answer your question, I'll explain what I was asking in the OP really slowly for you again, because you're so enraptured with Sam, you are always looking for perceived slights aimed at him, and find them even when they're not there.

In my premise, which isn't far fetched, along with Leo yesterday, Douglas may look to move any and all asets, such as Bell, Adams and who knows else. He probably isn't resigning Robbie, and any other expiring contracts. He is looking to acquire as many draft picks as possible, and in doing so is willing to tear this roster apart.

Keeping up so far?

That brings up Darnold, who is without question the biggest asset the Jets have. My question was, NOW PAY ATTENTION... do you think Darnold's play over these next 9 games will have any bearing on whether or not the Jets decide to keep him, or use him as another chip to rebuild this roster from the ground up? GOT THAT?

Obviously, if Darnold plays well, they'll keep him, but if he continues to struggle, would they consider it?

Now to YOUR question.

If the Jets do decide to move on from Darnold, and rebuild from scratch, here is my plan.

1. Draft OL heavily in the next two drafts

2.draft as many CBs and potential edge rushing types as possible

3 Look to draft one or two WRs, at least one of whom is a big strong target, ala a Mike Evans type

4. After I have most of that done, I look to move on from my "caretaker QB" and draft my franchise type young guy. I'm now in a position, with a solid roster, to package future picks to move up to do so if necessary.

Oh, one more thing. After I draft that guy, I don't hand him the job, with no viable competition around him (sound familiar?) I either trade for a solid veteran back up, or I draft another guy, just in case.

You opened this thread after JD made clear he had no intention to tear down or trade any of the players mentioned. 

Cynical. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I agree he gets a 3rd year also, no matter what. I just don't know if that's fair to Darnold.

My concern as stated, was what chance would he hve to develop with an even worse roster around him if Douglas decides to tear down the roster, getting rid of guys like Robbie, Bell, Adams and whoever else?

He said multiple times today that he isn't doing a tear down.

As stream said, /thread.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

He’s already developed... as evidenced in the Dallas game.. and 7 other games last year. We need to build a team around him that is good enough to carry him when he isn’t firing on every cylinder. The Pats game was an aberration across the board... we’ve seen that before- remember 45-3?We lost the jaguars game because the defense let up two absurd blown TDs... deshaun Watson threw for 174 and no TDs against that jags team... at home in a dome. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

You opened this thread after JD made clear he had no intention to tear down or trade any of the players mentioned. 

Cynical. 

Actually I didn't. I opened it just minutes before. That's the truth.

Somebody posted his tweet right below my OP here, and I was like, "oh well, this was pointless... should've waited..."

9 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Actually I didn't. I opened it just minutes before. That's the truth.

Somebody posted his tweet right below my OP here, and I was like, "oh well, this was pointless... should've waited..."

No it's not. Douglas had already had a press conference and all the local press by time thread was started at six.