Since this is the place for silly ideas....Move Jamal Adams to Edge/OLB

jetstream23

3 hours ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

It’s called the nickel formation on defense. 5 dbs with Adams blitzing. He can still be a safety and blitz while having another dB drop back in coverage. 

With Mosely out for the year I don’t know why we are ever in a 3-4 alignment 

• Upvote 1

Not sure of this year's mix but he still plays all over the field. Slot corner ,outside corner ,edge rusher ,box safety, deep safety.

Like derwin James these guys need a better position name.

At least fans who watch the game eith their eyes open lol

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

A swiss Army knife with a toothpick and tweezers and that is it.

If this team had any and I mean any pass rushing ability at all he would take a lesser roll and have to cover more, which is scary.

The Pres doesn’t take lesser roles, bruh.  Get with it. 

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

He’s essentially playing the position anyway a lot of the time. Sure tackler, nose for the ball, diagnoses paths to the ball carrier, quick and not afraid mix it up with OLineman. Of course, he’d be undersized but instead of bringing our S into the box all the time we could have an OLB we move around and drop into coverage as the best coverage OLB in the league. 

This is a really interesting idea for a few reasons.

In today's NFL we all know that the league begs you to pass the ball.  They do it by means of the rules.  QB's are protected like never before, O-Lines are engaged in arm wrestling contests and DB's cant look at anyone cross-eyed without a pile of yellow laundry coming out.

If I were to design a base defense, it would be a One Gap 4-2-5. 

In the 34 defense, you are flexing your LB on the first and second level. 

In my proposed 4-2-5 base defense,  you are flexing your S (Jamal) on the second and third level. 

A constant nickle more or less with a hybrid S/LB. 

A S like Jamal Adams or LB like  Darron Lee, Pat Swilling etc. would be the right guy for that flex position.

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

He’s essentially playing the position anyway a lot of the time. Sure tackler, nose for the ball, diagnoses paths to the ball carrier, quick and not afraid mix it up with OLineman. Of course, he’d be undersized but instead of bringing our S into the box all the time we could have an OLB we move around and drop into coverage as the best coverage OLB in the league. 

They are essentially doing this, but cannot make it known that hey this guy is an EDGE rusher. But, yes his ability is revolutionizing using a Safety from even being what is called a Box Safety to a pretty high frequency EDGE rusher. Heck we have six games left and I believe another 2 sacks or so and he breaks the record for sacks of all time by a DB in a season. The other aspect of always making him an EDGE rusher is he is very solid in coverage as well, so he is sometimes needed there. But, all BS aside, I know it has happened before, but in the last game when he went with the Motion WR and then just rushed off the end for another sack, I don't remember ever seeing that play done like that before and it is one of my personal favorites. I mean how does an O even game plan for that without a RB somehow getting lucky and catching it with the corner of his eye when staying in to block and then picking up Jamal on a blitz like that.  Maybe gotta give DC Williams some credit for that since I assume Jamal didn't adlib it.

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

That’s his position now DUH

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I was actually thinking this on Sunday. I was like, ya know he sucks in coverage but is great against the run and at blitzing. He's like a small linebacker lol.

Aren’t you people overreacting to Adams picking up five sacks over the last two weeks against rookie QBs? Why are you acting like he’s a pass rusher now? Haskins has been sacked 14 times in four games, only two of which he started. Daniel Jones was sacked 26 times in seven games prior to the Jets game. They’re sack-probe rookies. Predicting that Adams would succeed at OLB based on the last two games is silly.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Aren’t you people overreacting to Adams picking up five sacks over the last two weeks against rookie QBs? Why are you acting like he’s a pass rusher now? Haskins has been sacked 14 times in four games, only two of which he started. Daniel Jones was sacked 26 times in seven games prior to the Jets game. They’re sack-probe rookies. Predicting that Adams would succeed at OLB based on the last two games is silly.

Predicting a 6 foot 215 pounds SS will succeed as a OLB is silly. Let him be what he is and add needed players to the defense after fixing the offense. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

according to PFF. Why? Well, the fact that opposing QBs have a passer rating of just 28.3 when throwing Adams’ way sure has a lot to do with it. 

can we drop the Adams can’t cover thing 

makes us look like idiots 

Look at the receiver completion rate against him as well. He had one of the best ones in 2018. 

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Do you know what Oc would do is run at him all day.   Say for example he was lined up against Trent Brown 6’8 380 .      Than when he pancake him , he would finish him off by falling on him.        Any decent Te would block J Adams to the other goal post.

This is silly an idea as playing Jamal Adams at Cb.   The guy can’t cover at safety , but he’s going to stopping top wrs . Please.

11 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Do you know what Oc would do is run at him all day.   Say for example he was lined up against Trent Brown 6’8 380. Than when he pancake him , he would finish him off by falling on him.  

Then why don't they?  Jets are #1 against the run in the NFL right now.

Any decent Te would block J Adams to the other goal post.

Then why aren't they?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Because blitzing is Adams’ strength besides playing the run

And I admittedly have not been kind to Adams but if he keeps playing like this I gladly eat crow

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Larz said:

Not sure of this year's mix but he still plays all over the field. Slot corner ,outside corner ,edge rusher ,box safety, deep safety.

Like derwin James these guys need a better position name.

At least fans who watch the game eith their eyes open lol

Lmaoo it’s known fact a lot of these dudes don’t have clue as to what’s going on defense.  Jamal is coverage a lot but the only time they notice is when he gives the occasional catch. Then it’s Jamal can’t cover 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Lmaoo it’s known fact a lot of these dudes don’t have clue as to what’s going on defense.  Jamal is coverage a lot but the only time they notice is when he gives the occasional catch. Then it’s Jamal can’t cover 

We should pin this so we don’t have to remind people every week lol

he’s still playing corner and people think he can’t cover. It’s amazing lol

8 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

I've witnessed countless instances where there have been throws over the middle and Jamal is a step slow in getting there.  On some of those occasions he wasn't "covering" the receiver but was absolutely responsible for the completion ending up happening.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

If J Adams is so good in coverage let’s see him take Te Darren Waller man to man.    Let’s see how he holds up there.

Amazing!!

First, you have the notion that the best player on the team should change positions. Why? If he's doing what he's doing from the safety position, why take the chance that he might not be able to perform as well from another position. Plus, it weakens the safety position.

He's a great safety. Accept that. And, while coverage is not his main strength, because he's such a great player at the LoS, it's still a strength. I mean, I don't expect a FS or my SS to be able to cover WRs man-to-man for any length of time. And none of them can. Hell, many CBs can't cover man-to-man. And I've seen a few PDs when Jamal is in coverage.

The key to pass defense is a balance of lack of time and coverage. Seems to me Jamal helps both of those areas from his safety spot. Plus, he's too small to play OLB and would lose speed bulking up to play it.

Why have you guys decided to hate this guy?

On 11/20/2019 at 10:04 AM, jetstream23 said:

Me:  "Jamal Adams is a leader, a high-energy guy who can carry a defense."

Some random other fan, let's call him S0m Thane:  "That's soft stuff, no stats, etc."

Me: "Okay....he has more sacks than Khalil Mack and would be the Jets 4th leading scorer if he was on offense."

S0m Thane: (Gets cup of coffee, starts searching for OK Boomer memes.)

:P

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

If J Adams is so good in coverage let’s see him take Te Darren Waller man to man.    Let’s see how he holds up there.

Jets are 5th best team in the league when it comes to covering TE’s you think that’s by accident they where also top 10 last year as well. 

17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I've witnessed countless instances where there have been throws over the middle and Jamal is a step slow in getting there.  On some of those occasions he wasn't "covering" the receiver but was absolutely responsible for the completion ending up happening.  

Unless you know his responsibility on the play you don’t know anything . You assume you know something . A lot of Times jamal is chasing down and tackling guys that other guys got beat by And y’all blame him .. like I said a lot yall don’t have clue as to what happens on defense outside of splash plays. You can’t point to one game in past 2 years and say Jamal got lit up for 100 plus yards in game. But u will point out 1 or 2 occasional catches out the 30 times he is in coverage throughout a game and say he is liability. 

there are no numbers anywhere that backs up Jamal is bad in coverage.

14 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Jets are 5th best team in the league when it comes to covering TE’s you think that’s by accident they where also top 10 last year as well. 

So good Mike frickin Gesicki put up 100 yards on us 3 weeks ago

More likely the jets being statistically ok against TEs this year is our CBs are so bad Qbs just keep throwing to WRs

On 11/21/2019 at 11:03 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

His strength is run stopping and blitzing

• 2 weeks later...