Since this is the place for silly ideas....Move Jamal Adams to Edge/OLB

jetstream23

He’s essentially playing the position anyway a lot of the time. Sure tackler, nose for the ball, diagnoses paths to the ball carrier, quick and not afraid mix it up with OLineman. Of course, he’d be undersized but instead of bringing our S into the box all the time we could have an OLB we move around and drop into coverage as the best coverage OLB in the league. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

He’s essentially playing the position anyway a lot of the time. Sure tackler, nose for the ball, diagnoses paths to the ball carrier, quick and not afraid mix it up with OLineman. Of course, he’d be undersized but instead of bringing our S into the box all the time we could have an OLB we move around and drop into coverage as the best coverage OLB in the league. 

Myself and @Creepy Lurker were just discussing this. I'd 100% move Jamal there. Although it would likely be slightly different. I don't care where the sacks are coming from as long as we are consistently applying pressure. 

• Upvote 3

Not a crazy idea.  The DLine has enough beef to protect Adams in the run
game.  And if the the other starting LB's next year are Mosely, Cashman and
Jenkins that should be enough size to protect Adams on the second level.
The issue would be in the makeup of the secondary, Douglas would have to
find a S in addition to a CB in free agency/draft.  Williams would probably
love it from a scheme perspective because it would allow him to confuse the
offense

• Upvote 1

as it is adams is doing both.  he's rushing or dropping back.  he seems to be very good at diagnosing the type of play being run and will drop into pass protection when necessary.  and if there's a run, he's really good at finding the angles and stringing out the play so the runner gets stopped.

• Upvote 1

I’m gonna go ahead and shut this down. No, he’s a safety who blitzes. It keeps his role hidden until the last moment which allows him to use the element of surprise to his advantage. No, regardless of the narratives by some posters on this board he’s generally excellent in coverage. No, because he’s due less money as a really good safety than an edge player.

• Upvote 4

49 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I’m gonna go ahead and shut this down. No, he’s a safety who blitzes. It keeps his role hidden until the last moment which allows him to use the element of surprise to his advantage. No, regardless of the narratives by some posters on this board he’s generally excellent in coverage. No, because he’s due less money as a really good safety than an edge player.

Get ready for the hate mail. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, prime21 said:

He's' doing that now.  No need for a official change of position.

Then you, my friend, have just found a way to pay a guy a Safety salary but use him as an Edge/OLB!  This will save the Jets, on average, $4-9M per year.  Give Jamal the biggest Safety contract (currently $14.1M per year) and be thankful you're not paying him the $23.5M per year that Khalil Mack averages.  2020 average compensation with this year's sack totals below...

Khalil Mack  - $23.5M - 5.5 Sacks

Jamal Adams - $3.5M - 6 Sacks

:D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well since Adams can't cover for sh*t it's not a bad idea. You would have to very creative with him scheme wise because other teams OC's would eventually find a way to exploit it.

People still try to use "he's not good in coverage" argument with him?

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Then you, my friend, have just found a way to pay a guy a Safety salary but use him as an Edge/OLB!  This will save the Jets, on average, $4-9M per year.  Give Jamal the biggest Safety contract (currently $14.1M per year) and be thankful you're not paying him the $23.5M per year that Khalil Mack averages.  2020 average compensation with this year's sack totals below...

Khalil Mack  - $23.5M - 5.5 Sacks

Jamal Adams - $3.5M - 6 Sacks

:D

No, no, no. That's not the narrative. Adams doesn't make an impact. He's like a more muscular Eric Smith. Remember?

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

No, no, no. That's not the narrative. Adams doesn't make an impact. He's like a more muscular Eric Smith. Remember?

Me:  "Jamal Adams is a leader, a high-energy guy who can carry a defense."

Some random other fan, let's call him S0m Thane:  "That's soft stuff, no stats, etc."

Me: "Okay....he has more sacks than Khalil Mack and would be the Jets 4th leading scorer if he was on offense."

S0m Thane: (Gets cup of coffee, starts searching for OK Boomer memes.)

:P

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, JiF said:

He’s the best Swiss Army knife in the league, let him roam! 

A swiss Army knife with a toothpick and tweezers and that is it.

If this team had any and I mean any pass rushing ability at all he would take a lesser roll and have to cover more, which is scary.

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Me:  "Jamal Adams is a leader, a high-energy guy who can carry a defense."

Some random other fan, let's call him S0m Thane:  "That's soft stuff, no stats, etc."

Me: "Okay....he has more sacks than Khalil Mack and would be the Jets 4th leading scorer if he was on offense."

S0m Thane: (Gets cup of coffee, starts searching for OK Boomer memes.)

:P

6 sacks? Against who? Oh yeah, I remember the Giants, Redskins, and Dolphins. Before that? ZERO. PHUCKING ZERO. WHAT? WHAT NOW?

DATE OPP RESULT TOT SOLO AST SACK STF STFYDS
Sun 11/17 @WSHWSH
W
34-17
4 4 0 3 0 0
Sun 11/10 vsNYGNYG
W
34-27
9 8 1 2 0 0
Sun 11/3 @MIAMIA
L
26-18
4 4 0 1 1 3
Sun 10/27 @JAXJAX
L
29-15
6 5 1 0 0 0
Mon 10/21 vsNENE
L
33-0
5 5 0 0 1 1

And lets not for get the two TD's he was directly responsible for in the Miami game in coverage. But no, lets not mention that. It would spoil the narrative. More Bullsh*t.

|

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

jamal is good at covering TE's <10 yds.

gets eaten by OL consistently. 

For me nose for ball= INTS/FF/FR...  not so much.

I pass w/o rancor.

3 hours ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

It’s called the nickel formation on defense. 5 dbs with Adams blitzing. He can still be a safety and blitz while having another dB drop back in coverage. 

I think that is basically what they run often, right?  4 DL, 2 LB, 5 DBs?

Isn't Jenkins being used as a DE/EDGE alot as well?  

39 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I’d rather get a OG/C in the second round but it depends on FA obviously. 

I don't care where we land, we just need them... debateably CB is as big a need as OG... which is pathetic considering we've investing a lot in the secondary over the last 4-5 years. 

He's not big enough... I don't think he's going to be beating any big TEs or tackles if they know he's coming...

He's uncanny at coming down from the safety spot and finding gaps and holes to get through... When he can surprise an OL by sprinting at it from a variety of spots and angles that's when he's at his best. 

• Upvote 3