Here's my problem with Adam Gase

NYJ1

I have yet to see him make this team BETTER than when Bowles was coaching the team. Now, we can argue why that is. I think it has a lot to do with the talent level on the team? But at the end of the day, the coach is supposed to bring organization to the team and get them functioning as a cohesive unit. Well, the results speak for themselves. He has beaten ONE decent team - Cowboys. Beating bad teams is only what you're supposed to do. Now I could go along with him as our HC beyond this season if he started to get MORE out of this team than what talent would indicate. That's why I think the Raiders game this weekend is a perfect opportunity for Gase to justify why he was hired. The Raiders are NOT a good team and they are not a BAD team. To me they are a team that is stuck in that endless abyss of MEDIOCRITY. But make no mistake they are a team that is MUCH better than the Jets. If Adam Gase can manage to get this group, which admittedly is very low on talent, to play strong and manage an upset over the Raiders, it will let me know that Gase is capable of getting the most out of the talent he has.

• Upvote 1

I've thought about this some and I honestly think we've been spoiled a bit as a fan base when it comes to new head coaches. Every coach we had brought in since Parcells posted a winning record in his first year here. 3 of them took the team to the playoffs in year 1. Another common thread is they all flamed out pretty quickly. Gase has had a rough start and my gut still tells me that he's a fraud who will eventually fail, but I do think the pure vitriol he's received from the fan base stems in part from the unrealistic expectations of immediate results. I'm about ready to just call this season a wash, especially considering all of the injuries, and use 2020 as the true measuring stick.

QB/GM are in place and the owner has publicly voiced his support. No excuses.

• Upvote 1

The reason the team is not better in my opinion has more to do with Macc as the GM for all those years than anything else. Remember, this is still the team Macc has built minus a couple of low level moves made by JD. Macc ran FA and the draft.

The best thing I've heard about Gase is that he disagreed with Macc on paying huge money to Bell and Mosley. There was no need to tie up that much money to an RB and an ILB. It should also be noted that Macc wanted to sign Anthony Barr to a huge contract as well, another guy not worth the price tag Macc was willing to meet. Throw in the fact that he neglected the O-Line, picked the wrong corner to spend big on in Trumaine Johnson, wasn't a great drafter, and you have the 2019 New York Jets. A team with some pieces in place (Darnold, Adams, etc) but still desperately in need of talent. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

The Raiders are NOT a good team and they are not a BAD team. To me they are a team that is stuck in that endless abyss of MEDIOCRITY. But make no mistake they are a team that is MUCH better than the Jets.

they have averaged 6 wins for a damned decade....    thats BAD.

they had that one GEM and Carr broke his leg on the last game...

they are an uneven team seemingly on the upswing.

roster is bettern Jets. you'd have to give them the edge in HC Dept too.

In order to be comfortable that this team is heaaded in the right direction, I really want to see them prove that they can compete with the better teams in the NFL and come away with at least one more quality win.  That said, the only teams they could have beaten the last two weeks were the Giants and Redskins and they took care of business;  Hopefully a step in the right direction.

This team should be able to compete iwth the Raiders.  They are going to be in our building, travelling across three time zones to play an early game.  Not saying we have to win this game (it would be nice), but we need to compete with a 6-4 Raiders team fighting for the playoffs, and hopefully Darnold continues to play well.  

If Darnold plays well over these last 6 weeks, and we manage to beat one of Balt, Pitt, Buff or Oak, while taking care of business agisnt Cincy & Miami, I will feel a lot better about Gase heading into next season.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

my pt. is that players playing QB in the NFL should know when to throw it away...

last game i attended i am hollering at Sanchez to throw it away...   nope. 

Throws an INT from THEIR 24 on 1st and 10...    retard

Lotta guys young and old think they can do it all, they learn or they don't get old or they retire.

38 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

they have averaged 6 wins for a damned decade....    thats BAD.

they had that one GEM and Carr broke his leg on the last game...

they are an uneven team seemingly on the upswing.

roster is bettern Jets. you'd have to give them the edge in HC Dept too.

Well, in case you hadn't noticed the Jets have averaged SEVEN wins over the last decade. I was actually shocked to see they averaged SEVEN wins. I would have it would have been much lower than that.

Either way, their past decade record simply isn't relevant. The Raiders are 6-4 this season. That constitutes a slightly better than average record, but still imo very mediocre.

52 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I have yet to see him make this team BETTER than when Bowles was coaching the team. Now, we can argue why that is. I think it has a lot to do with the talent level on the team? But at the end of the day, the coach is supposed to bring organization to the team and get them functioning as a cohesive unit. Well, the results speak for themselves. He has beaten ONE decent team - Cowboys. Beating bad teams is only what you're supposed to do. Now I could go along with him as our HC beyond this season if he started to get MORE out of this team than what talent would indicate. That's why I think the Raiders game this weekend is a perfect opportunity for Gase to justify why he was hired. The Raiders are NOT a good team and they are not a BAD team. To me they are a team that is stuck in that endless abyss of MEDIOCRITY. But make no mistake they are a team that is MUCH better than the Jets. If Adam Gase can manage to get this group, which admittedly is very low on talent, to play strong and manage an upset over the Raiders, it will let me know that Gase is capable of getting the most out of the talent he has.

I’m not much of a fan of Gase and he still has lots to prove to me.  But I really think you have to throw ALL 3 GAMES STARTED BY LUKE FALK OUT THE WINDOW.  That gives Gase a record of 3-4 (should be 4-3, if the D holds Opening Day in a game 99% of teams statistically win, 16 zip lead that late).

I’m liking the 4 consecutive games of his Jet O scoring a TD on the Opening Drive though.  He gets some props for that.  That occurrence almost seems like a seeing an animal species that is almost extinct.  Did that scenario play out 4 times in Bowles 4 years here?  You give a Bowles team a million years they couldn’t do that 4 straight weeks.  For that matter what about Ryan’s tenure, seemed like just so many games Sanchez would go to the locker room at halftime with not 1 TD on the board.

Don’t be surprised if the Jets rip off a 5 game win streak here if they are able to get past Oakland on Sunday with many climbing onto a Gase bandwagon, with Media reporting non stop...”Ever since that plane flew.......”

But in the end the Jets will do something to break your heart...again.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Y3k said:

We are going to double last years win total despite massive injuries and not having our QB for 3 weeks.

REALLY??? HOW exactly are you coming up with 8 wins? Who exactly are they going to beat that's on their remaining schedule? I can certainly see winning against Cincy and Miami. I could even see them beating the Raiders? Maybe even Buffalo? But 8 wins???? I have got to know who you think they're going to beat?

8 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

REALLY??? HOW exactly are you coming up with 8 wins? Who exactly are they going to beat that's on their remaining schedule? I can certainly see winning against Cincy and Miami. I could even see them beating the Raiders? Maybe even Buffalo? But 8 wins???? I have got to know who you think they're going to beat?

Ok so you can see 7 wins... but not 8 lol 

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Nope, don't think so.  If they are MUCH better than the Jets they wold have had  to maintain the same record 6-4  while losing their starting QB for 4 games ( not to mention playing a 3rd stringer for 3)  and their entire starting LB corp for 2 games , not to mention their starting TE (Herndon) and one of their go to WR's (Enunwa).  And , how many OL players?

You can't make a blanket statement on each team's win/loss record on talent. We know the the Jets lack depth. But the starters against the Raiders compare favorably. We will see Sunday.

2 hours ago, fullblast said:

I've thought about this some and I honestly think we've been spoiled a bit as a fan base when it comes to new head coaches. Every coach we had brought in since Parcells posted a winning record in his first year here. 3 of them took the team to the playoffs in year 1. Another common thread is they all flamed out pretty quickly. Gase has had a rough start and my gut still tells me that he's a fraud who will eventually fail, but I do think the pure vitriol he's received from the fan base stems in part from the unrealistic expectations of immediate results. I'm about ready to just call this season a wash, especially considering all of the injuries, and use 2020 as the true measuring stick.

QB/GM are in place and the owner has publicly voiced his support. No excuses.

Spoiled as a fan base. I must recalibrate my meaning of spoiled. I was at that Thursday night game against Buffalo, when we blow the playoffs. 

Sat behind half a dozen abusive drunk Bills fans, in the pouring rain. Let me tell you I didn’t feel spoilt. 

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

OK, agree, but even if we lose a tight game to the Raiders and then are able to beat the Bengels and Fins that would be the proper HC progress I would like to see. Maybe right now we are just not up to the talent level to beat the Raiders since we are not just talking about players, but a HC in Gruden that has much more exp. than Gase and has won a SB. But, lets see. regardless of the teams we are playing, the offense has shown it can function up against defenses that while at the bottom of the league are still NFL defenses showing the O can properly operate and may just need better talent i.e Oline upgrades, another really good WR, etc. to function against a good or even great D where we get enough drives and maintain few mistakes penalties, turnovers, etc. in order compete. We have started seeing post halftime adjustments by the coaching staff to get us through full 60 minute games. I am not going to get into the specifics Jets would not have scored the last 13 points to win the game against the Giants and held on to beat Wash. without that. 

I'm beyond trying to parse and understand why each Jets regime stink. I have taken a result-based approach. Win and stay. Lose and go. I can live with the risk the Jets let a good HC get away too soon in exchange for not sticking with losers for multiple years of suck.

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I think Gase is starting to make the team better. We are seeing several young players on the D line starting to make an impact. We have a new starting rookie CB who looks real good in Austin. Our offense is now moving the ball regularly. Gases play calling has improved - we are actually throwing on 1st down 1/2 the time and Ive seen a couple of flea flicker attempts - we are due to hit one. He's mixing up the plays pretty well. Gase hasn't lost the team at all. Its a process for Gase and GW to get more of their type of players in that fit their systems and we will be even better. Now if we go 1-7 in year 3 then get him out of here. Give the guy some time to develop the team. I haven't seen Gase make any dumb in game decisions like Bowles. Im on board with Gase for now but come year 3 if we are not a 10 win team then he's out the door!

4 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The reason the team is not better in my opinion has more to do with Macc as the GM for all those years than anything else. Remember, this is still the team Macc has built minus a couple of low level moves made by JD. Macc ran FA and the draft.

The best thing I've heard about Gase is that he disagreed with Macc on paying huge money to Bell and Mosley. There was no need to tie up that much money to an RB and an ILB. It should also be noted that Macc wanted to sign Anthony Barr to a huge contract as well, another guy not worth the price tag Macc was willing to meet. Throw in the fact that he neglected the O-Line, picked the wrong corner to spend big on in Trumaine Johnson, wasn't a great drafter, and you have the 2019 New York Jets. A team with some pieces in place (Darnold, Adams, etc) but still desperately in need of talent. 

I loved the Mosley signing.  I didn't care for the Bell signing because I think the OL makes the RB.  But Bell has at least been a positive influence imo (even if he's been underwhelming this season.  Though, again, the OL makes the RB)

1 hour ago, jgb said:

I'm beyond trying to parse and understand why each Jets regime stink. I have taken a result-based approach. Win and stay. Lose and go. I can live with the risk the Jets let a good HC get away too soon in exchange for not sticking with losers for multiple years of suck.

YES  AGREE TO ABOVE.

DON'T EMBRACE  THE SUCK.  LET'S MOVE ON AND CUT OUR LOSSES !!!!!

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Spoiled as a fan base. I must recalibrate my meaning of spoiled. I was at that Thursday night game against Buffalo, when we blow the playoffs. 

Sat behind half a dozen abusive drunk Bills fans, in the pouring rain. Let me tell you I didn’t feel spoilt. 

That game sucked, but that whole season still beat the turd sandwich we've been served thus far in 2019.

It was actually at Buffalo in week 17 where we blew the playoffs though.

On 11/20/2019 at 6:49 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I loved the Mosley signing.  I didn't care for the Bell signing because I think the OL makes the RB.  But Bell has at least been a positive influence imo (even if he's been underwhelming this season.  Though, again, the OL makes the RB)

I don't hate either Bell or Mosley as players. Especially Mosley. Both are top players at their positions. But I just think their positions are easier to fill than some of the other positions. I'd rather have taken that money and spent it on a left tackle and pass rusher.

Those are harder positions to fill. The top players at those positions almost always get taken at the top of drafts. You can find RB's and ILB's in the middle rounds. It's much harder to find a left tackle or pass rusher in those rounds.