Sam Darnold- Officially our "Franchise QB" 12/8/19

55 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

When your 22 year old QB goes 20/36 for 270YDs, 2TDs and 1 INT in a winning cause......and the fanbase is furious that he didn't play well, you KNOW you've found your FRANCHISE QB. 

Darnold has the tools. BUT...  Gase is going to be Darnold's undoing...  Gase is a charlatan...  Gase has DUPED Chris Johnson...  

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

OP reads as a "read box score, didn't watch the game" kind of evaluation, but no doubt the win was a win, vs. a hated rival and former Jets QB, and wins are better than losses.  OP ignores a ton of meaningful details, excludes all the nuance and parsing and minutia that seems to matter a lot more when we lose and need to craft a "did enough to win" narrative, but "wins are good" is definitely a truism.  Especially against a 3 win Dolphins team that already beat us once.  

It will be interesting hearing the OP's thoughts after our game Thursday vs. Baltimore.  I think we all hope we can all be so glib about Darnold's performance after that game as well.

And you have the detractors on here that look at those same box scores and call Dak Prescott an MVP candidate and yearn for Mayfield or Josh Allen to be our QB instead. It goes both ways.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

OP reads as a "read box score, didn't watch the game" kind of evaluation, but no doubt the win was a win, vs. a hated rival and former Jets QB, and wins are better than losses.  OP ignores a ton of meaningful details, excludes all the nuance and parsing and minutia that seems to matter a lot more when we lose and need to craft a "did enough to win" narrative, but "wins are good" is definitely a truism.  Especially against a 3 win Dolphins team that already beat us once.  

It will be interesting hearing the OP's thoughts after our game Thursday vs. Baltimore.  I think we all hope we can all be so glib about Darnold's performance after that game as well.

Sam would need a Braveheart moment to take down the Ravens with this group. These rosters are definitely at two different stages. Ravens have recently beaten the Pats & the Niners at home. 2 teams with 10-3 records. So, this is the game you most want to comment after? Well OK then.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Welp said:

And you have the detractors on here that look at those same box scores and call Dak Prescott an MVP candidate and yearn for Mayfield or Josh Allen to be our QB instead. It goes both ways.

We have people here yearning for Baker Mayfield right now, today?

Or are you conflating "I would pick Baker Mayfield" posts two years ago, pre-draft, with "I want Baker Mayfield today in Dec. 2019"?

There were quite a few of us who favored Baker in that draft class (myself included), or preferred others (Allen, Rosen, even a few smart folks who wanted Lamar) who don't still feel that way today. 

Well, maybe the Lamar guys still feel that way, lol.

I guess I'm not seeing all these detractor posts you're seeing. 

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Sam would need a Braveheart moment to take down the Ravens with this group.

maxresdefault.jpg

If Darnold looked like that while playing, lol......

Sadly, Thursday is far more likely to be a Culloden than a Bannockburn for our beloved Jets.

These rosters are definitely at two different stages.

Unquestionably.

Ravens have recently beaten the Pats & the Niners at home. 2 teams with 10-3 records.

They're possibly the best team in the NFL today.

So, this is the game you most want to comment after? Well OK then.

I don't understand your question.  Yes, I like to hear comments after every game, don't you?  The OP has made a pretty clear argument, Sam is a franchise QB.  Don't you want to see how our franchise QB does against top-tier opponents?

• Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, mrmajix said:

Was I the only who had a meltdown when Sam took the sack on the last drive? Or slung the ball to Crowder on a 3rd and one when he had 5 yards of daylight in front of him? I can forgive Sam for missing a throw now and then but the in game metal lapses and decision making have me seriously concerned.

Yeah, those metal lapses got me a little nervous as well. Hopefully eventually he will get pass that. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We have people here yearning for Baker Mayfield right now, today?

Or are you conflating "I would pick Baker Mayfield" posts two years ago, pre-draft, with "I want Baker Mayfield today in Dec. 2019"?

There were quite a few of us who favored Baker in that draft class (myself included), or preferred others (Allen, Rosen, even a few smart folks who wanted Lamar) who don't still feel that way today. 

Well, maybe the Lamar guys still feel that way, lol.

I guess I'm not seeing all these detractor posts you're seeing. 

The Baker noise has obviously quieted this season I'm more pointing out how people who don't like Darnold, not necessarily directing my post at you specifically, also look at the box score of other QBs without watching the game and having context and talk about how the other guy is better which has been going here on this season.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I am one of his biggest supporters and I think he is but by no means a certainty.

I have this sickness in the pit of my stomach that says Adam Gase is going to screw him up.

He looked better and freer last year under friggin bates.

We also need to fix up the oline and get at least one weapon Wr.

I see more potential than i ever did with Sanchez or Geno, but he still has to put in A lot more work to get there. Proclaiming he’s the real deal off of the easiest stretch of schedule one could ever ask for is just folly. 

But i mean Drew Brees would struggle with our offense and the lack of talent. That needs to be rectified. 

• Sympathy 1

57 minutes ago, Welp said:

Please point me towards the one poster who yearns to have Josh Allen as our QB and I'll immediately have @The Crusher ban him.

7 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Yeah he seems to be the best QB we've had at this point since early Chad Pennington (and a Brett Favre rental).

At this point in his career, Chad Pennington was a 25 year old with 0 starts that had gone 12/25 for 159-2-0. 

His rookie deal was 5 years.  He didn't really start until week 5 of his 3rd season.  He hurt his wrist preseason of year 4 and missed the first six or so games.  Just as his his 5th season started, he got that huge extension.  He hurt his rotor cuff during the year, but came back to beat the Chargers and get squeaked by the Steelers. 

At least with Darnold we will have a damn good idea who he is before we pony up half our salary cap. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I am one of his biggest supporters and I think he is but by no means a certainty.

I have this sickness in the pit of my stomach that says Adam Gase is going to screw him up.

He looked better and freer last year under friggin bates.

We also need to fix up the oline and get at least one weapon Wr.

I’m a huge fan of Darnold desperately hopeful he is awesome. But I don’t think he played a good game yesterday at all.

Why can’t both sentiments be true?

• Upvote 1

I must admit that the thing on Sam's cheek bothers me. I'm judgemental like that. Let's be honest he's got a lunch lady mole. That bothers me a lot more than him having a little bit of an off-day throwing the football. Does he have to shave around it?  Can he grow a full beard? Wtf man you're a millionaire have that f****** thing removed.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I must admit that the thing on Sam's cheek bothers me. I'm judgemental like that. Let's be honest he's got a lunch lady mole. That bothers me a lot more than him having a little bit of an off-day throwing the football. Does he have to shave around it?  Can he grow a full beard? Wtf man you're a millionaire have that f****** thing removed.

points for random humor!!  OOPAH!

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

When your 22 year old QB goes 20/36 for 270YDs, 2TDs and 1 INT in a winning cause......and the fanbase is furious that he didn't play well, you KNOW you've found your FRANCHISE QB. 

I'm just glad those idiots are not the GM of this team

The fact this thread even exists shows that we are no closer to knowing if Sam is the guy then we were on draft day 2 years ago.

Thursday night is a huge game for this young man.  Will we see a calm, confident darnold stepping up in the pocket and delivering the ball?  Or are we going to see Scaredy Sam throwing off his back foot and feeling pressure when its not even there?

3 more days and we will have a much better idea of where Sam Darnold is as a qb.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah, those metal lapses got me a little nervous as well. Hopefully eventually he will get pass that. 

Uh oh.

nico cited you today as a major problem here when he gave max his “need to ban” list this morning.

Posts like this aren’t going to help the situation.

1 hour ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

56 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

points for random humor!!  OOPAH!

Random humor???

There is nothing funny about this. If we were even half the men we should be, every one of us would have called him out last season for looking like Mammy Yoakum with that thing on his cheek. All he neede was a corn cob pipe and Lil Abner alongside him.

Props to @Greenbloodblitz for having the courage to bring it out into the open!!!

Get that thing removed!

Yeah, I'm buying. I'm going out on that limb....

SAM DARNOLD, barring injury, IS a franchise QB. He's already done enough to convince me. And just so you know, I hated Sanchez and openly discussed his bust status 9 games into his rookie season. I'm no pushover of a QB critic. 

Sam still makes the occasional DUMB interception, but he rarely repeats mistakes like Sanchez did all the time. His numbers are also a LOT better than Sanchez this far into his career and he hasn't had anywhere the supporting cast Sanchez did.

So put me down as the SOSF. That's Sold Out Sammy Fan. All the crap from a couple of dingbats on this site is just for entertainment.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The fact this thread even exists shows that we are no closer to knowing if Sam is the guy then we were on draft day 2 years ago.

Thursday night is a huge game for this young man.  Will we see a calm, confident darnold stepping up in the pocket and delivering the ball?  Or are we going to see Scaredy Sam throwing off his back and feeling pressure when its not even there?

3 more days and we will have a much better idea of where Sam Darnold is as a qb.

Actually playing a defense, should be interesting.

7 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

His numbers are also a LOT better than Sanchez this far into his career and he hasn't had anywhere the supporting cast Sanchez did.

Now you've got me curious....and look like you're right.

Darnold (First Two Years):  23 Games - 455 for 761 (59.8%) for 5,289 Yards (7.0 YPA, 11.6 YPC, 230 YPG), 32 TD, 26 INT (3.4% INT), 58 Sacks.

Sanchez (First Two Years):  31 Games - 474 for 871 (54.4%) for 5,735 Yards (6.6 YPA, 12.1 YPC, 185 YPG), 29 TD, 33 INT (3.8% INT), 53 Sacks.

Sanchez won alot more (that Roster was vastly better) and was much more durable (only 1 missed game).  Sanchez was less accurate, ledd productive per attempt, threw less TD's, more INT's more frequently, and threw for materially less yards (in part of course because of the great running game).

What's funny, is I can distinctly remember hearing exactly the same argument for Sanchez we hear today for Darnold, in some cases by the same posters.  But the difference is, frankly, stark.  Darnold's numbers are mediocre (or Ramsey'esque, lol) but they are materially better than Sanchez on a per-game basis. 

We'll perhaps see again when Darnold finished his 31 start sometime earlymid-2020.