The Truth About Sam Darnold

Maxman

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Amazing how quick perceptions change, all year long all we heard was how  dumb teams were to pass up drafting Lamar, Everyone’s  superhero....I agree sam with competent coaching and offensive line will be the best...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

18 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Agreed.  It’s amazing how little Sam has around him.  As much as I like Crowder and Robby neither are number 1 guys or even number 2 on most teams.  The fact that Sam has still shown a lot of good things despite the lack of talent/protection around him makes me excited for the future when we hopefully will surround him with more help 

Darnold...Top Rated Passer in the NFL, last 4 games of 2018.

Darnold...10th Rated Passer in the NFL over the last 8 games of 2019.

I realize that "cherry picking" isn't the purest way to try to project a Qb's career and there is downside to it, but in Darnold's case at least it is something and there have been enough outstanding throws (along with some awful ones) that are flashes that tell you there is a chance he can be very good QB in the NFL, for a long time, provided he finally gets more talent around him, starting with real NFL players on his OL (even if they are average, at least NFL quality), a #1 WR if possible and some burst at RB.

The "cherry picked" stats above?....you could almost never do that for Sanchez and Pennington over any 2 consecutive game stretch.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

Lamar Jackson tonight proved without his legs he isnt a top 20 QB as a pocket passer when contained you see how weak his arm is he needs the legs to be effective.  Jets got the best QB in that draft they need to stop screwing around and use everything this year to build a offense around him.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Sam is the best QB in that class. Hate on it all you want.

Never let anyone forget 

- Josh Allen has a losing record in the playoffs. 

- Lamar Jackson has a losing record in the playoffs. 

- Sam Darnold does not have a losing record in the playoffs lol. 

Bold prediction: Sam wins a playoff game before any other QB in that draft class. 

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

But by the time FRAUD is fired and we start assessing his damages, Sam could very well be on another team.  Payton’s personal coffee boy has a thing for remarkable improving his former players after he is no longer coaching them.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, nyjets1969 said:

Lamar Jackson tonight proved without his legs he isnt a top 20 QB as a pocket passer when contained you see how weak his arm is he needs the legs to be effective.  Jets got the best QB in that draft they need to stop screwing around and use everything this year to build a offense around him.

Jackson doesn't have a weak arm.  Darnold may one day be the best QB in that class but he isn't now.  He needs help, all QBs do.  Jackson didn't exactly have a ton of help from his receivers today, tons of drops.

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Wow!!!  Thanks for posting this.  Kid does some amazing stuff.  I don’t know how watching these clips doesn’t give someone extreme confidence in this kid but it should.  He’s got magic in him you can’t teach.  Very excited about his career. 

• Upvote 3

Lamar is better but I don't think it lasts, he'll get hurt at some point and that dynamic running ability will be taken away which will undermine his overall game significantly.

Mayfields rookie year was better than either of Sam's years, but we was bad this year and seems like the type of toxic douche that will never put it together

Allen stinks and Rosen appears to as well

If i had my choice today to sign one to a 5 year deal I'd probably take Darnold as well, and I'm not nearly as high on Darnold as most here, part of it is the QB class wasn't nearly as good as advertised. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Sam is the best QB in that class. Hate on it all you want.

I hope he does become the best.  He has a long way to go factually and in production to be that. 

I guess you all just already think he's there, mission accomplished.

It's funny how Sam keeps getting better (the best!) because other teams lose in the playoffs......

Already Sam has surpassed Allan, Cousins and Jackson without taking a snap since the end of the season.  Probably Brady too, right?  Of course Brady, he's done, pif ripe for the slaughter.  Lets hope Rodgers loses in the NFCCG, then we can Sam is better than him too!

P.S. I loathe the way "hate" is thrown around on this site.  The word hate has a heavy meaning, and it's flippant and casual use attacking anyone not fully drinking the cool aid is IMO offensive frankly.  In no way do I "hate" Sam Darnold ffs.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, CTM said:

Lamar is better but I don't think it lasts, he'll get hurt at some point and that dynamic running ability will be taken away which will undermine his overall game significantly.

Mayfields rookie year was better than either of Sam's years, but we was bad this year and seems like the type of toxic douche that will never put it together

Allen stinks and Rosen appears to as well

If i had my choice today to sign one to a 5 year deal I'd probably take Darnold as well, and I'm not nearly as high on Darnold as most here, part of it is the QB class wasn't nearly as good as advertised. 

Well said.  It’s crazy going back to the 17 draft and how hard I argued 17 > 18 for QBs and how I was laughed at by nearly everyone on the board for saying it.  I really need to be a draft consultant for a team who wants to win a Super Bowl.  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Darnold...Top Rated Passer in the NFL, last 4 games of 2018.

Darnold...10th Rated Passer in the NFL over the last 8 games of 2019.

I realize that "cherry picking" isn't the purest way to try to project a Qb's career

Of course not but on this board “cherry picking” only applies to Sam. When certain posters talk about the greatness of Baker, Lamar, Allen, Deshaun; it’s all “cherry picked” as well. I can go back and find some absolute stinkers for all of them too. The only QB over the last few years who you don’t have to “cherry pick” stats for is Mahomes.

Sam hasn’t had the highs that others have had, and his low (pats game) is one of the lowest I’ve ever seen from any QB. But as I showed in another thread, when you take out his best and worst games, the bulk of his games are solid. When you factor in the team that he plays on, it’s optimistic, even when considering his opponents in the good games.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

P.S. I loathe the way "hate" is thrown around on this site.  The word hate has a heavy meaning, and it's flippant and casual use attacking anyone not fully drinking the cool aid is IMO offensive frankly.  In no way do I "hate" Sam Darnold ffs.

It's not just here it's everywhere really. I am not a fan either,hate is a very strong word and I try not to use it often, but I stop well short of finding it offensive. Most times it's used casually as a figure of speech "hater", when used seriously it's just dumb and/or histrionic

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CTM said:

It's not just here it's everywhere really. I am not a fan either,hate is a very strong word and I try not to use it often, but I stop well short of finding it offensive. Most times it's used casually as a figure of speach "hater", when used seriously it's just dumb and/or histrionic

I agree about hate.  It’s a strong word that should be used.  However I do feel some put their own frustrations out on certain players that don’t deserve all that criticism.  That’s the only issue I have 

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Is it really a “long way”.  Idk about that.  Mayfield, Allen, Rosen suck.  Jackson is obviously an incredible player but the league has shown it’s not sustainable and it’s not a recipe for success come playoff time.  Sam went 7-6, improved in every single category playing behind a historically bad OL.  One could argue what he did this season under the circumstances says more about Sam than it does about an Allen or Jackson playing behind great OLs with great running games on great teams and getting handed a first round exit mostly because of their performance.  

I don’t think he has a long way to go but I think the Jets have a long way to go in providing him an environment where he can be as successful as Allen/Jackson.  As a player, I’d take him over anyone if I’m building a team and that’s not because Sam is great, it’s because I think he can be great and those other dudes don’t really give me that same type of confidence long term.  

Yep. I think Jackson probably comes down to earth a bit next year and Sam get a little better. Not a long way to go at all.

• Upvote 2