Any Interest in Drafting a Kicker In This Draft?

GREENBEAN

I know it's not really the position most people want to use a draft pick on but are there any guys coming out that have people thinking he might be worth using a 5th or 6th rdr on?  Someone with boat loads of potential?  We were literally a FG kicker away from a .500 season. 

Here's what's looking like the top guy at the moment but I don't know too much about this subject. Any love for "Hot Rod" ??? 

Any love for anyone else? 

Rodrigo Blankenship, K, Georgia  
Height: 6-1. Weight: 191.  
Projected Round (2020): 4-6. 

12/21/19: The Georgia "Hot Rod" was on a streak of perfection before a miss in overtime cost Georgia a loss to South Carolina. He hit a long of 50 yards this season and is 25-for-31 (81 percent). He has three misses in the 40-yard range (8-of-11) and one in the 50-yard range (3-of-5). 

6/22/19: In 2018, Blankenship was 19-of-23 on his field goals with a long of 53. He was excellent in 2017, connecting on 87 percent of his field goals. That season Blankenship had a long of 55 yards and was 2-for-2 in the 50+ range. He was 4-of-7 in the 40-yard range.

Just now, Beerfish said:

No, Seattle signed pro bowler myers for like 3 million.

UDFA or poach some other teams kicker.  We squander so much money on terrible plays we ought to be able to cough up 3 mill for a reliable kicker.

I would agree other than sifting through what's floating around out there doesn't look awesome. Again, I don't have too much info on this yet, but I haven't really seen that Pro Bowl kicker like Myers available. Here's the list of FA's this year.  Which one would you try to poach ya think?  

2020 NFL Free Agents: Kickers and Punters
  • Mason Crosby, K, Packers. Age: 35. ... 
  • Greg Zuerlein, K, Rams. Age: 32. ... 
  • Ka'imi Fairbairn, K, Texans. Age: 26. ... 
  • Dan Bailey, K, Vikings. Age: 32. ... 
  • Younghoe Koo, K, Falcons. Age: 26. ... 
  • Adam Vinatieri, K, Colts. Age: 47. ... 
  • Aldrick Rosas (RFA), K, Giants. ... 
  • Daniel Carlson (RFA), K, Raiders

24 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I would agree other than sifting through what's floating around out there doesn't look awesome. Again, I don't have too much info on this yet, but I haven't really seen that Pro Bowl kicker like Myers available. Here's the list of FA's this year.  Which one would you try to poach ya think?  

2020 NFL Free Agents: Kickers and Punters
  • Mason Crosby, K, Packers. Age: 35. ... 
  • Greg Zuerlein, K, Rams. Age: 32. ... 
  • Ka'imi Fairbairn, K, Texans. Age: 26. ... 
  • Dan Bailey, K, Vikings. Age: 32. ... 
  • Younghoe Koo, K, Falcons. Age: 26. ... 
  • Adam Vinatieri, K, Colts. Age: 47. ... 
  • Aldrick Rosas (RFA), K, Giants. ... 
  • Daniel Carlson (RFA), K, Raiders

Dan Bailey for sure.

Younghoe Koo is interesting. He had a very good year and the Jets were interested in him before they signed Ficken..

Vinatieri is DONE and will likely retire anyway. 

6 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I know it's not really the position most people want to use a draft pick on but are there any guys coming out that have people thinking he might be worth using a 5th or 6th rdr on?  Someone with boat loads of potential?  We were literally a FG kicker away from a .500 season. 

Here's what's looking like the top guy at the moment but I don't know too much about this subject. Any love for "Hot Rod" ??? 

Any love for anyone else? 

Rodrigo Blankenship, K, Georgia  
Height: 6-1. Weight: 191.  
Projected Round (2020): 4-6. 

12/21/19: The Georgia "Hot Rod" was on a streak of perfection before a miss in overtime cost Georgia a loss to South Carolina. He hit a long of 50 yards this season and is 25-for-31 (81 percent). He has three misses in the 40-yard range (8-of-11) and one in the 50-yard range (3-of-5). 

6/22/19: In 2018, Blankenship was 19-of-23 on his field goals with a long of 53. He was excellent in 2017, connecting on 87 percent of his field goals. That season Blankenship had a long of 55 yards and was 2-for-2 in the 50+ range. He was 4-of-7 in the 40-yard range.

I’ve always wondered why teams don’t invest a 7 th rd pick on a great kicker.  By that point the other positions have all been picked over and chances of finding a great player late are small.  Why not get the pick of the kickers instead of hoping to sign a fa?  Worked out ok with Lachlan Edwards

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

I’ve always wondered why teams don’t invest a 7 th rd pick on a great kicker.  By that point the other positions have all been picked over and chances of finding a great player late are small.  Why not get the pick of the kickers instead of hoping to sign a fa?  Worked out ok with Lachlan Edwards

Agreed 100%.  A 7th rounder is a negligible price to pay for drafting a reliable kicker.

Bring more OL, DB in in the bottom rounds before K.  Just hire the best journeyman out there or an UDFA from college.  Nugent was the full extent of the Jets drafting a kicker that I never want to see again.  Even in the later rounds.  (yes, I know Nuge was round 2, but that's it for me about drafting kickers.  Never Again.

There's so few really good Kickers at both the NFL and collegiate level.  Relying on the UDFA pool and free agency just isn't all that viable anymore.  If there's one you like, a 7th round pick is fine.  If we don't end up with a 7th by draft day, its easy to trade down and pick one up. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

There's so few really good Kickers at both the NFL and collegiate level.  Relying on the UDFA pool and free agency just isn't all that viable anymore.  If there's one you like, a 7th round pick is fine.  If we don't end up with a 7th by draft day, its easy to trade down and pick one up. 

Really?  Why is that?  I'm not sure I agree with the bold. But I can see the wisdom of going round 7 for someone they may really be high on.  Although there is not much difference between a 7 and UDFA, an UDFA's freedom to go wherever he wants is annoying...   so I think using a 7 on someone valued high makes sense.  And if Douglas can collect a couple more round 6/7's, sure... why not?  But I NEVER want to see a kicker drafted before round 6. 

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Really?  Why is that?  I'm not sure I agree with the bold. 

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/sports/instead-of-getting-better-nfl-kickers-are-getting-worse

Instead of Getting Better, NFL Kickers Are Getting Worse

This season's field-goal success rate of 80.5 percent is at its lowest level since 2003

Things are so bad that there are 12 teams with field-goal success rates at or below 75 percent, which hasn’t happened since 2003.

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Bring more OL, DB in in the bottom rounds before K.  Just hire the best journeyman out there or an UDFA from college.  Nugent was the full extent of the Jets drafting a kicker that I never want to see again.  Even in the later rounds.  (yes, I know Nuge was round 2, but that's it for me about drafting kickers.  Never Again.

considering we usually lose by 2 scores... 

Image result for charlie brown aaugh

jajajajajaja!!!

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/sports/instead-of-getting-better-nfl-kickers-are-getting-worse

This season's field-goal success rate of 80.5 percent is at its lowest level since 2003

interesting.  I also think that the league is attempting way more really long field goals that in yesteryear were automatic punts or even 4th down attempts.  That would bring the % down, perhaps significantly.  There is a lot more to this than probably meets the eye.  But I do agree that id there is a prospect Douglas likes, using a bottom round pick is OK.  Helps avoid other teams from getting him as an UDFA.  

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Go back and look at the players the Jets or any other team picked in the 7 round since 2010 and tell me you’d rather have them then a potential all pro kicker. 
It’s a no brainer. Draft a kicker. 

True, and I agree that in this case, if there's a Kicker we like, absolutely take on in the 7th.  But are there a lot of 7th round pick Kickers that have gone on to success?  Gotta choose wisely there also.  

Blanketship in the 7th, sure, lets do it. UDFA, sure, in fact even if we drafted someone we should sign someone to compete with him. Scour the FA market- sure. This is typically not that hard for teams. We don't nec. need a Pro Bowl kicker, we just need someone who is reliable. Ficken was solid early on and then started missing make-able FGs and extra points. But he was the result of a last minute emergency fix. If the Jets approach this properly, with a proper search and competition. They should find a solid kicker. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

True, and I agree that in this case, if there's a Kicker we like, absolutely take on in the 7th.  But are there a lot of 7th round pick Kickers that have gone on to success?  Gotta choose wisely there also.  

I’d rather take the highest rated player at kicker then the 200th rated OG

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Go back and look at the players the Jets or any other team picked in the 7 round since 2010 and tell me you’d rather have them then a potential all pro kicker. 
It’s a no brainer. Draft a kicker. 

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just looked and here are the 7th round K's taken between 2010-present:

• Jason Sanders (Dolphins, 2018):  82 % for his career, 97 % on XP's, Long of 54
  • Zane Gonzalez (Browns, 2017):  80 % for his career, 93 % on XP's, Long of 55
  • Harrison Butker (Panthers, 2017):  90 % for his career, 95 % on XP's, Long of 56
  • Zach Hocker (Redskins, 2014):  OUT OF LEAGUE AFTER ONE SEASON; 71 % for career
  • Nate Freese (Lions, 2014):   OUT OF LEAGUE AFTER ONE SEASON; 43 % for career
  • John Potter (Bills, 2012):  OUT OF LEAGUE AFTER 2 SEASONS; 75 % for career

There have been some nice success stories from the 2017-18 drafts.  But it certainly can be a mixed bag.

Also, I learned that Harrison Butker's twitter handle is @Buttkicker.  That's pretty awesome.  

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-rule-change-extra-point-moved-back-defenses-can-score/

Its what the league under Goodell wants

Well we signed the ex Cowboys kicker who has a big leg but he's inaccurate. And I'd definitely bring back Sam Ficken as the frontrunner for the job. I liked him because he can be clutch. And is capable of hitting over 50 yarders. He looks like a young player who can improve. But if they see a good young kicker in the later rounds why not. 

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I’d rather take the highest rated player at kicker then the 200th rated OG

Sure. I just don't want to take a kicker, say, in the 6th where the Jets can still get a speedy small school RB or a raw WR with immense upside or developmental C prospect. I'd rather have a player like that. However, in the 7th, even those prospects dwindle down, so  I wouldn't mind taking a Kicker. 

20 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

The article is talking about Field Goal %.  Not Extra Point %.  Both XP % and FG % have gone down.

Yes, the NFL WANTS less field goals and more TD's.  But that doesn't explain the severe drop in FG %.  When its necessary to kick a FG the league would rather guys make than miss.