AFC/NFC Championship Games Thread

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Big picture approach:  Mahomes is elite no matter how you slice it.

Small picture approach:  Nitpick every little play that doesn't demonstrate Mahomes' awesomeness while ignoring the big picture.  

Doesn't it happen both ways?  My point is for every person nitpicking his less than stellar plays there is someone exaggerating an average play he makes to accentuate how great he is.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Yeah why would they think that? The first time they played the Chiefs destroyed them by -3

That game was week 10 at Tennessee and Patrick Mahomes first game back after missing 3 weeks from a dislocated kneecap in week 7. I remember that game, because I picked the Chiefs to cover, and they got beat. Anyone who saw what a well oiled machine the Chiefs offense was last weekend in Arrowhead vs the Texans shouldn't have expected the Titans to stop the Chiefs offensively today. 

12 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Isn't it sort of ironic you were scoffing at people making snap judgements about certain plays as it relates to overall performance of players and you make a post about how good Mahomes is immediately after  he threw a TD to someone without anyone within 10 yards of him?

No. I've repeatedly said that the key to getting to SB's is getting first round byes and hosting playing off games. The chiefs did that this year in large part because of Mahomes, they did it last year largely because of Mahomes as well.

This is no snap judgement, this is what has been happenning for decades in the league and it's why 14 of the last 15 AFC SB participants have been HOF QB's and the most recent QB is well on his way to the same place.

Brady, Manning, Rothlisberger 14 of 15.

Flacco 1x

and now Mahomes 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fine by me.  But meanwhile the torch has been handed to Mahomes, and its fun watching the Jamal Adams/Darnold fanboys scramble to discredit him.  

50+ TD's last year.  A Super Bowl berth this year.  What more does the kid need to prove to these guys?

But nobody's trying to discredit Mahomes. Personally I'm not even comparing him to Darnold. Mahomes is superior, cant argue that. 

Simply stating that if he were to come to the Jets at the time, he wouldnt be the player he is. You just continue to ignore the circumstances of each team, which absolutely matter.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Doesn't it happen both ways?  My point is for every person nitpicking his less than stellar plays there is someone exaggerating an average play he makes to accentuate how great he is.

He has so few less than stellar plays, that's the problem for that side of the argument, lol.

It's like these guys aren't watching the same game.  On the key 1st half drive that cut the lead to 17-14, for instance, Mahomes made pinpoint throws to Kelce and then on the TD to Hill.  I mean they were perfect.  Yet the anti-Mahomes crowd would have us believe his receivers have been wide open at all times.  And failing that, they'd have us believe that he's a pure product of his receivers.

It's humorous and kind of sad.  Like they need Sam and Jamal to win this debate or else their world crumbles.  

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

shouldn't have expected the Titans to stop the Chiefs offensively today. 

it was always about LIMITING them as much as possible...

and THAT kinda PI is total BS. its an underthrown ball an dthe O player HAS TO PLAY THRU THE DEFENDER.

hate that rule. BS

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JTJet said:

But nobody's trying to discredit Mahomes. Personally I'm not even comparing him to Darnold. Mahomes is superior, cant argue that. 

Simply stating that if he were to come to the Jets at the time, he wouldnt be the player he is. You just continue to ignore the circumstances of each team, which absolutely matter.

That's discrediting Mahomes whether you admit it or not.  Saying he would only be "17 %" of the QB here means that 83 % of his success is due to external factors.  

He's a special QB who would win anywhere.  It's OK to acknowledge this.  Especially now that the kid is headed to the SB.  Just appreciate the young greatness we're witnessing.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

mostly, i'd say..    " but look at his weapons" for the millionth time will likely make me grumpy, tho

Dude I try to be fair.  I said the kid was terrific but KC does have a lot of weapons that’s not a knock it’s just a fact.  I mean in fairness I’ve sent an extremely nice and complimentary post.  I hope to be civil but don’t want to put up with bullsh:t either.  

23 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Isn't it sort of ironic you were scoffing at people making snap judgements about certain plays as it relates to overall performance of players and you make a post about how good Mahomes is immediately after  he threw a TD to someone without anyone within 10 yards of him?

Not even sure I understand your point what snap judgement do you think I was making? I only posted this after the TD because it locked the game and meant KC was going to the sb. I wouldve posted the same thing if it was a 60 yard run by the rb.

I dont need a single pass to affirm Mahommes is good we've now had 2 years of HOF level play to show that.

• Upvote 1

Just now, CTM said:

Not even sure I understand your point what snap judgement do you think I was making? I only posted this after the TD because it locked the game and meant KC was going to the sb. I wouldve posted it if it was a 60 yard run by the rb.

I dont need a single pass to affirm Mahommes is good we've now had 2 years of HOF level play to show that.

Sam can do that if he plays better and wins more games. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He has so few less than stellar plays, that's the problem for that side of the argument, lol.

It's like these guys aren't watching the same game.  On the key 1st half drive that cut the lead to 17-14, for instance, Mahomes made pinpoint throws to Kelce and then on the TD to Hill.  I mean they were perfect.  Yet the anti-Mahomes crowd would have us believe his receivers have been wide open at all times.  And failing that, they'd have us believe that he's a pure product of his receivers.

It's humorous and kind of sad.  Like they need Sam and Jamal to win this debate or else their world crumbles.  

I love how many arguments you attempt to conflate to prove your point. 

Not once did anyone mention Darnold being better than Mahomes in this thread that I can see.

Not once did people continuously make the argument that his receivers are who makes him. 

But I do see you ignoring the fact that he has a plethora of Pro Bowlers around him, a hall of fame coach, and came into a winning situation. So it's not remotely a stretch to think that he wouldnt be nearly as good if he went to a team that was vastly inferior to the situation he walked into. Talent gets buried ALL the time behind crappy teams. 

You seem to be the person that brought Darnold and Adams into the argument to begin with, then conversely turn around and bitch about it. 

• Post of the Week 1