Pick the POSITIONS you'd like to see addressed in Jets' first 3 Rounds (4 picks)

jetstream23

We discuss specific players around here a lot but I'm curious as to the positions people want to see addressed, particularly in the Draft's first two days, by the Jets.  We know many of the Jets needs, we've heard theories on positional value and premium positions.  And, many folks here have a good sense (better than I) for where the value may be in this Draft by round.  For example, some very good OTs should be available early in Round 1, interior OLine might be best to wait on for a couple rounds, WR could be pretty deep throughout, etc.

So, with the Jets having 4 picks in the first 3 Rounds of the Draft what positions would you like to see addressed by the Jets with those picks?  In what order?  Again, we have no idea what names might be available in each spot but knowing what you do about the talent depth, relative value of positions, and the Jets needs, how would you try to approach it?  I think I'd go with...

• Round 1 - LT/OT (premium position, area of need)
  • Round 2 - WR (area of need, excellent WR talent should be on the board for good value)
  • Round 3a - Edge rusher (premium position, area of need, might have to settle for more of a one-dimensional pass-rushing OLB at this point past Round 2)
  • Round 3b - C or OG (area of need, talent should line up well with value)

In some order three offensive linemen and a wide receiver. Would like to see another receiver day 3 as I think the depth of the class warrants it. If they can come out with a Wirfs/Wills and a Jackson/Jones/Peart I think that gives a lot of potential for the offensive line down the road. Throw in a center and a pass catcher and the team is on its way.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Depends on free agency and trades but they need to construct a proper roster 

ernie accorsi said the hierarchy of football needs is;

get the QB, protect the QB, rush the QB

so OT, OT, EDGE, EDGE

He has it wrong though.

Protect the QB

Get the QB

Rush  the QB.

Teams like Houston (Carr), Indy (Luck), Jets (Darnold) and many more get the QB let him get his ass kicked or hurt or develop bad habits for a few years and then get around to getting the oline.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

ROUND 1: OT (if top 3 are off board, then WR (Lamb or Jeudy) or EDGE Rusher A.J. Epenesa if he falls) (i rank OT at Thomas, Wirfs, Jackson/Wilis - need to see more from them - honestly i wouldn't mind if they grabbed 1 of the last 2 over another position). (if they could somehow trade back for both of miami's 18th and 26th picks in 1st to load up on talent by trading the 11th and 1 of our 3rds - id be down with that too) - honestly id really like them to address the OL in FA - most of it. 

Round 2: C, OT (If we dont ge one in 1st), WR OR CB - if they decide to trade up for TYLER BIADASZ - if he drops to early round 2 - I'm totally for that. OT - need to research more outside that top 4,

CB - I really like Arnette from Ohio State - a little bit of injury history and off field sh*t/character questions should make him drop out of first round. Dude is a stud though, checks all boxes for me:

- Natural cover corner, Instinctive, very physical/violent, super competitive/plays with an edge, can play inside/outside, prevents separation, good athleticism, speedy, etc - just complete... i can see him being pro bowl quality at NFL level if he doesn't mess up off field. NFL executiives worried about his mental makeup. I like our DC and we have good leadership on defense. if not him then maybe Jeff Gladney

WR - Pittman Jr from USC, Lynn Bowden from Kentucky

Round 3a - By now they should have done OT at very least and/or WR/CB, so I'll go EDGE or CB or WR or a top TE (if one fell for whatever reason)

TE - one i really like but I can't see him going past round 2, Cole Kmet from Notre Dame - absolute baller. 

EDGE - need to do more research here (not sure who is expected to be there round 3. 

WR - Same - not sure who will be there - the rankings right now on fanspeak should be looked at very loosely because senior bowl/combine implications

CB - Troy Pride Jr from Notre Dame, had a decent 2019 (had a better 2018), but has balled out at the Senior Bowl and I expect him to have a good combine. 

I also like Dane Jackson from Pitt - another guy who I can see rising. Knows how to play tough blue collar football to go along with good instincts and great against run - PFF has him rated highest of any CBs. - 

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2020/1/22/21072214/2020-draft-prospect-cb-dane-jackson

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, Lith said:

2 and 2 by 2.

2OL and 2WR by the end of day 2.  Protect Darnold, and get him weapons. Spend 4 premium picks to do it.

This.

Though if they land a WR at 11, I'd be fine with taking a RB or an extra OL and waiting for WR a little later.  There are some serious WR sleepers in this draft. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, nycdan said:

If one of the 3rd rounders is a Edge rusher or a CB, I will not be concerned.  Those are both need positions as well.  But like everyone with a pulse not named Maccagnan, I recognize the need for OL and WR is paramount.

Good way to look at it.

I'd agree, both Edge and CB are premium, high value positions.  If the Jets use ONE of their 4 picks on one of those spots I'd be okay with it.....but I'd really hope it's after Round 2.

19 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

We discuss specific players around here a lot but I'm curious as to the positions people want to see addressed, particularly in the Draft's first two days, by the Jets.  We know many of the Jets needs, we've heard theories on positional value and premium positions.  And, many folks here have a good sense (better than I) for where the value may be in this Draft by round.  For example, some very good OTs should be available early in Round 1, interior OLine might be best to wait on for a couple rounds, WR could be pretty deep throughout, etc.

So, with the Jets having 4 picks in the first 3 Rounds of the Draft what positions would you like to see addressed by the Jets with those picks?  In what order?  Again, we have no idea what names might be available in each spot but knowing what you do about the talent depth, relative value of positions, and the Jets needs, how would you try to approach it?  I think I'd go with...

• Round 1 - LT/OT (premium position, area of need)
  • Round 2 - WR (area of need, excellent WR talent should be on the board for good value)
  • Round 3a - Edge rusher (premium position, area of need, might have to settle for more of a one-dimensional pass-rushing OLB at this point past Round 2)
  • Round 3b - C or OG (area of need, talent should line up well with value)

By the way thanks for taking over as administrator of the draft form.

I’d like to see two receivers by the end of day two. We’re going to wind up addressing the Oline through free agency (in addition to the draft), until that comes in the focus will be hard to predict how much we invest in the draft. Certainly expect to see a tackle take it at 11. There will not be a lot of options for receivers however, so I’m expecting/praying we double down. I would look to combo a guy like Denzel Memes in the second round with Pittman in the 3rd... 

• Upvote 2

2 OT's are a must with this draft class. Even if we sign an a OT in FA we can kick one inside.

2 WR's or I could live with one WR and a RB.

Something like this:

1st----OT

2nd---WR

3rd---OT

3rd---WR or RB

As long as we don't go defense I think we'll be good.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, RobR said:

2 OT's are a must with this draft class. Even if we sign an a OT in FA we can kick one inside.

2 WR's or I could live with one WR and a RB.

Something like this:

1st----OT

2nd---WR

3rd---OT

3rd---WR or RB

As long as we don't go defense I think we'll be good.

haha exactly.  I see like 5 different scenarios where I think we can maximize value and start a true revamping of the offense all the way to the 4th round in this particular draft and I'd be happy with them all and none of those scenarios include drafting D. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

By the way thanks for taking over as administrator of the draft form.

I’d like to see two receivers by the end of day two. We’re going to wind up addressing the Oline through free agency (in addition to the draft), until that comes in the focus will be hard to predict how much we invest in the draft. Certainly expect to see a tackle take it at 11. There will not be a lot of options for receivers however, so I’m expecting/praying we double down. I would look to combo a guy like Denzel Memes in the second round with Pittman in the 3rd... 

Agreed.  2 of the first 4 need to be WRs.  Since it’s an election year I’m all about the Mims/Pittman ticket.  Make The Jets Receivers Great Again!!

• Post of the Week 1

Optimum draft still for me is

Round 1 - LT

Round 2 - WR

Round 3a - G/C

Round 3b - WR

...but this works as well

Round 1 - LT

Round 2 - WR

Round 3a - G/C

Round 3b - Edge/CB

Round 4 - WR, where you could still have Tyler Johnson, Pittman Jr, Davis, Hodgkins, AGG, etc

I really want a tackle at 11. For two reasons: 1) the depth at WR; and 2) the worry that we could miss the second wave of tackles at the start of round 2. There is a possibility if we pick Jeudy or Lamb at 11 that Becton/Niang/Jackson/Jones/Wanogho will be gone by the time we pick again. 

I’ve done a million mock drafts and look at them every night online. Take advantage of the WR depth later and takes offensive TACKLES.  This draft is a bonanza of offensive tackles the likes of which we’ll never see again. 

Round 1: Thomas, Becton, Wirfs, Wills

Round 2: Trey Adams (my top choice here), Isiah Wilson, Wanegho, Jones

Round 3a and 3b: Go OT/G/C AGAIN and then dip into WR.  3 rookie OT’s compete for tackle spots with all of them able to kick in to guard if they lose or need grooming.

This draft is the only one I’ve ever seen where you can rebuild almost the entire OL with quality starters on 2 days of drafting. Think of 3/5 of Sams line set for the next 4 years. Sam protected, Leveon with lanes.  This dedication; this investment - compounds.

WR is so deep I’d sit and wait and feast on OL.   If I see CB or Edge drafted before 2-3 OL simply because “he was too good to pass up” I will vomit. Sorry for the hyperbole but this is a dream draft for the Jets as long as JD doesn’t overthink it and just picks from these beautiful fatties.

Edoga slides back into a very solid backup swing tackle.