Rumor: Lions trying to trade Stafford

Augustiniak

It’s on pro football talk.com.  Not only would this add another veteran qb to the offseason mix, it puts the Lions in a great position to draft Tua, or teams like the dolphins that want Tua would have to trade up to #2.  It also could put the Chargers out of luck too.  Very Interesting.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-lions-trying-trade-matthew-113321933.html

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Too many veteran qbs who can’t really elevate their teams anymore and aren’t worth the money but are still worth having.  Are guys like cam newton, Stafford, dalton and tannehill much better than Fitzpatrick at this point?

Yep.  There's only about 8 good or great QBs in the league right now, and the rest of the starters/borderline starters are about the same or at least packed close together in terms of what they're capable of.

We're starting to finally see the league respond to these massive contracts for underwhelming QBs by either trying to dump them or refusing to bring them back when their deals end.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  There's only about 8 good or great QBs in the league right now, and the rest of the starters/borderline starters are about the same or at least packed close together in terms of what they're capable of.

We're starting to finally see the league respond to these massive contracts for underwhelming QBs by either trying to dump them or refusing to bring them back when their deals end.  

Yep.  When you pay a guy like Stafford or now, perhaps Prescott, you have a very limited window to get it done.  Makes you wonder what Douglas does to accelerate darnold’s progress in the next 3 months.

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Yep.  When you pay a guy like Stafford or now, perhaps Prescott, you have a very limited window to get it done.  Makes you wonder what Douglas does to accelerate darnold’s progress in the next 3 months.

I wouldn't even say you have a window.  If the Cowboys pay Dak what he wants, that effectively closes the window.  The window is only even slightly open when those types of OK but not elite QBs are still on their rookie deals. 

If you pay a QB top of the market dollars you'd better make sure he's a guy who can win even when half your roster is filled with future UPS drivers.  

• Upvote 2

According to Over The Cap, trading Stafford would result in $32M in dead money, and over $10M in a cap hit this year. If that's true, seems pretty impossible...  unless Detroit is looking to make an Osweiler move where they give away a pick as well to unload Stafford and his contract. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Bengals are trying to trade Dalton as well.

The QB carousel this offseason is going to be by far the most interesting in NFL history.  Nothing like this has ever happened before.

Not only that but we're seeing the final stages of some legendary players and a true changing of the guards.  Manning retired, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Big Ben are all shot and never winning anything significant again.  Ryan, Stafford, Newton are after thoughts and holding out for 1 last maybe.  

It's basically Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Jackson and everyone else.  And I love that the 4 best QB's in the league are all men of color who are tremendous athletes with twice the talent of the white prototype statuesque QB's of the last 40 years.  Such a great change from the norm. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not only that but we're seeing the final stages of some legendary players and a true changing of the guards.  Manning retired, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Big Ben are all shot and never winning anything significant again.  Ryan, Stafford, Newton are after thoughts and holding out for 1 last maybe.  

It's basically Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Jackson and everyone else.  And I love that the 4 best QB's in the league are all men of color who are tremendous athletes with twice the talent of the white prototype statuesque QB's of the last 40 years.  Such a great change from the norm. 

Yep.  The NFL, in spite of its own best efforts toward self-destruction, is interesting again.  Especially when you remind yourself Brady and the Pats are never getting another ring again.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

This and Sam are the only things that brought me back from the NFL essentially being an afterthought.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Stafford reached his ceiling- he’ll never himself lift a team to a SB. Makes sense to move on. 

For sure.  But moving on is going to prove difficult with 4 years left on his current deal.  Who's going to trade assets away to take on that contract? 

The Lions can't cut him this year either, because they'd incur $32M in dead money.  

• Sympathy 1

DET has killed a number of great careers.  Sanders, Megatron, Herman Moore, Stafford.  They draft you, and you never win and you never get out.  

People make fun of a lot of franchises, the Jets, the Browns, the Raiders.  But DET hasn't won their division since 1993 and hasn't won a single playoff game since 1991.  Almost 30 years.  Ugh.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 2

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

It is exciting. The willingness of NFL coaches, either because they're young and aggressive-minded or just following their analytics, are much more inclined to adjust their schemes to their players than the old guard, allowing these "running QBs," a chance to get on the field and produce. 

You combine that with guys like Dak Prescott looking for north of $30M/year, and, yeah, I'm gonna be a lot more willing to let him walk - especially if I'm sitting with a high enough pick for a new, cheap QB. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Too many veteran qbs who can’t really elevate their teams anymore and aren’t worth the money but are still worth having.  Are guys like cam newton, Stafford, dalton and tannehill much better than Fitzpatrick at this point?

Stafford doesn't belong on that list. He was playing incredible ball before he went down in '19. The Lions are basically admitting they are going into rebuild mode if they move him.

The others, I mostly agree. Tannehill is very underrated but still not a guy you build a franchise around at this point of his career.  Good option for a win-now team, though. Dalton is basically shot.

• Upvote 1

When the carousel stops, there are going to be some QBs who started this past season that are not starting next year.  It will be interesting to see how this all pans out but I don't see how this many vets can find new homes in the same season.  Brady, Rivers, Prescott, Stafford, Carr, Dalton, Tannehill, Winston, maybe Newton (and Brees but he isn't going anywhere).  Then you have Mariota and Bridgewater in the wings.  And a slight possibility that Alex Smith tries to come back.  Most of them may just rotate around in a circle, but Burrow and Herbert are going to take away two spots (not sure about Tua yet) so some of them are going to be unhappy when the music stops.

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  The NFL, in spite of its own best efforts toward self-destruction, is interesting again.  Especially when you remind yourself Brady and the Pats are never getting another ring again.  

19 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

This and Sam are the only things that brought me back from the NFL essentially being an afterthought.

For sure.  I had almost completely stopped watching the NFL.  These new guys give me something to watch now and I dont hate their guts the way I've hated most of the "great" NFL QB's of the last 30 years

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Bengals are trying to trade Dalton as well.

The QB carousel this offseason is going to be by far the most interesting in NFL history.  Nothing like this has ever happened before.

And it sucks that the moment Brady is out of our hair Belichick will have his choice of this unusual amount of decent free agent quarterbacks.

SAR I

• Upvote 1