Jets highly unlikely to sign Anderson

choon328

6 hours ago, Losmeister said:

you mean his qbs sucked

When did I say this? I just re-read thr entire thread and can't find it.  It does happen to be true.  He's a 170 lb one trick pony who doesn't have the ability to make defenders miss in the open field. In the last 2 seasons he's played well in about 8 games.  8 out of 30. That warrants nothing more than $8 million per on a short contract with little guarantees.  Some team will overpay and be very disappointed. 

8 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Crowder, D Thomas and (checks depth chart) Braxton Berrios....isn’t worse?!

jesus. You’re taking 800 yards and 5 tds off the field. 

You can replace that production with a 3rd round rookie or a free agent for half the price.  800 yds is garbage, especially if you want to pay $15 million for it. That's 50 yards per game.  He's very replaceable. John Brown signed for $9 million last year with similar deep threat traits and is a much better overall WR and put up over 1000 yards with 6 TD's. How Anderson deserves more than him is beyond my comprehension.  Oh and that's with Josh Allen at QB for all you turds using the bad QB excuse to defend Anderson. 

• Upvote 3

• I am somewhat amused by the realization of many that the Jets are unlikely to re-sign Anderson.   The Jets extended the two TEs, Brown and Griffin.  So JD knows how to extend contracts.  Anderson, Jenkins and Poole remain unextended.  As each day goes by, it becomes more unlikely to extend these guys.
  • Each team is trying to figure out how they fill their holes with extensions, FAs and draft picks.  The first two cost premium money.   The Jets have way more holes to fill than their draft picks can fill.  But the realization appears to be that someone will pay more than the Jets will for Anderson and Jenkins.  Its not like the Jets don't need those players.  
  • The Transition Tag continues to lurk in jhe background.   The Jets need to put a team on the field next year that supports Darnold.   The question is whether the Transition Tag could be used for Beachum or Anderson, and who is the best value.  
  • I can see JD signing alot of middle class players and avoid the big ticket guys, and then focus on draft picks.  I would still sign the one or both of Thuney and Conklin.   If Amari Cooper is $2-$3mm more than Anderson, I do that and cut Avery.  

22 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Robby going to New England would be hilarious. He can’t run short routes or WR screens, and Brady can’t throw the deep ball anymore. 

No way the Pats pay an average WR with no strength 13/15 million. That would be the last team to pay him. I call BS on that.

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

You can replace that production with a 3rd round rookie or a free agent for half the price.  800 yds is garbage, especially if you want to pay $15 million for it. That's 50 yards per game.  He's very replaceable. John Brown signed for $9 million last year with similar deep threat traits and is a much better overall WR and put up over 1000 yards with 6 TD's. How Anderson deserves more than him is beyond my comprehension.  Oh and that's with Josh Allen at QB for all you turds using the bad QB excuse to defend Anderson. 

Best post of this thread.

• Upvote 1

I would have preferred signing Anderson over Enunwa the egg but sadly that cap money is dead/gone and the Jets have to finally prioritize the OL since pass blocking is needed to provide enough time for the deep pass play to develop (especially for a player like Anderson)

Anderson is not big or strong enough to catch/take the ball away from defenders in a crowd so I think his stats would improve if there was more time for plays to develop, sadly the Jets need to fix the OL before Andersons skills can be fully utilized so looks like the timing will not be good...

Thanks Mac - really want to punch that coffee drinking POS in the face as each of these decisions become so apparently horrible ...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I would have preferred signing Anderson over Enunwa the egg but sadly that cap money is dead/gone and the Jets have to finally prioritize the OL ?since pass blocking is needed to provide enough time for the deep pass play to develop (especially for a player like Anderson)

Anderson is not big or strong enough to catch/take the ball away from defenders in a crowd so I think his stats would improve if there was more time for plays to develop, sadly the Jets need to fix the OL before Andersons skills can be fully utilized so looks like the timing will not be good...

Thanks Mac - really want to punch that coffee drinking POS in the face as each of these decisions become so apparently horrible ...

Gase did it for all of us. That's one thing we can all thank him for.?

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I would have preferred signing Anderson over Enunwa the egg but sadly that cap money is dead/gone and the Jets have to finally prioritize the OL since pass blocking is needed to provide enough time for the deep pass play to develop (especially for a player like Anderson)

RA should have been signed before Enunwa and to long-term, the injury issue should have been taken into consideration. 

Add a true #1 WR along with RA and we would be well set. 

Relying on RA to be you are true #1 WR we are screwed.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

If the kid was a little stronger and could actually fight for slightly under thrown contested balls then signing him would be a no brainer.

It was on him to get into the weight room the past four years to add that part of his game.  He's depth and a luxury that can be replaced by any 5th + rounder with speed. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

If we lose Robby . Jets have to take 2 WR’s by the end of the 3rd rd.. really hope Denzel Mims is one of those guys.

If we lose RA we need a #1 WR at 11. 

No more JAG's,projects,other teams cast-offs. 

Quality not quantity. 

NY Jets haven't had a true #1  WR since Keyshawn Johnson and haven't had a true pas rusher since John Abraham. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Quality not quantity. 

NY Jets haven't had a true #1  WR since Keyshawn Johnson and haven't had a true pas rusher since John Abraham. 

I am not a professional NFL scout, but it just seems to me that the WRS that should be available at 11 are likely to be better NFL players than the OL expected there.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, varjet said:
  • I am somewhat amused by the realization of many that the Jets are unlikely to re-sign Anderson.   The Jets extended the two TEs, Brown and Griffin.  So JD knows how to extend contracts.  Anderson, Jenkins and Poole remain unextended.  As each day goes by, it becomes more unlikely to extend these guys.
  • Each team is trying to figure out how they fill their holes with extensions, FAs and draft picks.  The first two cost premium money.   The Jets have way more holes to fill than their draft picks can fill.  But the realization appears to be that someone will pay more than the Jets will for Anderson and Jenkins.  Its not like the Jets don't need those players.  
  • The Transition Tag continues to lurk in jhe background.   The Jets need to put a team on the field next year that supports Darnold.   The question is whether the Transition Tag could be used for Beachum or Anderson, and who is the best value.  
  • I can see JD signing alot of middle class players and avoid the big ticket guys, and then focus on draft picks.  I would still sign the one or both of Thuney and Conklin.   If Amari Cooper is $2-$3mm more than Anderson, I do that and cut Avery.  

I think Douglas will be very aggressive with Offensive line in FA. He knows his biggest needs are on the line.  I think the WR spot will be addressed aggressively in the draft bc of the talent level. Maybe 2 of their first 4 picks will be WR's. 

I believe the WR market will be very depressed in FA bc of the depth in the draft. I think the Jets will have to over spend on a couple of lineman but it will be well worth it for Darnold. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, choon328 said:

I think Douglas will be very aggressive with Offensive line in FA. He knows his biggest needs are on the line.  I think the WR spot will be addressed aggressively in the draft bc of the talent level. Maybe 2 of their first 4 picks will be WR's. 

I believe the WR market will be very depressed in FA bc of the depth in the draft. I think the Jets will have to over spend on a couple of lineman but it will be well worth it for Darnold. 

2 free agent OL signed best WR on the board at #11. 

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

RA should have been signed before Enunwa and to long-term, the injury issue should have been taken into consideration. 

Add a true #1 WR along with RA and we would be well set. 

Relying on RA to be you are true #1 WR we are screwed.

RA screwed himself by his actions off the field.  That's why he wasn't extended. He has nobody to blame but himself. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

If this report is true, and we are not likely to bring Robby back, then why not trade him at the deadline.  Did we really need an extra half season of him rather than a 4th or 5th round pick.  I would get it if we thought we could get a comp pick for him, but with our needs in FA that is not likely in the cards.  Will see how it plays out, but the handling of this one is a bit of a head scratcher to me.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Quality not quantity. 

I’m not opposed To it I like Jeudy and lamb alot. But I think the tackle position drops off a lot more than the WR heading into rd 2.. I actually like a lot guys at WR in this class. Wouldn’t surprise if a couple of them become #1 caliber players. Now if the big 4 OTs are gone I’m 100% on board Jeudy or Lamb.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Scoop24 said:

I’m not opposed To it I like Jeudy and lamb alot. But I think tackle position drops off a lot more than the WR . I actually like a lot guys at WR in this class. Wouldn’t surprise if a couple of them become #1 caliber players. 

I like our chances better with Jeudy or Lamb at #11.

• Upvote 1

For a guy that’s never had a 1k yard season, 15mil would be insane. I’d do about 10 mil plus 2-3 mil in incentives. Let him test the FA. He might get the same 12-13mil  without incentives there’s. Instead of paying 15 mil for him, I’d gladly pay 17-18mil for Cooper. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Lith said:

If this report is true, and we are not likely to bring Robby back, then why not trade him at the deadline.  Did we really need an extra half season of him rather than a 4th or 5th round pick.  I would get it if we thought we could get a comp pick for him, but with our needs in FA that is not likely in the cards.  Will see how it plays out, but the handling of this one is a bit of a head scratcher to me.

You're right about this. This couldn't have played out worse for the Jets. We're on the verge of losing our best offensive weapon for absolutely nothing.

We should've resigned Anderson before this season. We didn't though, and Robby now has earned his opportunity to cash in on a big payoff. As a UDFA he's never really made any big money with the Jets, now he's earned the right to cash in. The Jets had their chance, because I think Robby would have been happy to sign a fair deal here and get some financial security.

Once this season played out however, it made little sense for him to not test free agency. I like him as a player, and hope we can make a deal with him somehow, but at this point a "home team discount" isn't happening. Good luck trying to replace him, rebuild an OL and get a pass rusher and CB in one offseason Mr. Douglas.

• Sympathy 1

Robby's value was projected around 12 mil per year so it's not crazy that he is asking for 13 mil per year. He is the best available deep threat in free agency by a large margin.

If he walks the Jets need to go all in on OL during free agency even if it means overpaying guys. Cooper and AJ green are likely staying with their teams and Sanders won't likely come to the Jets. Every other free agent WR is worse than Robby.

The WR position was already weak and now it will take significant draft capital to help correct it and it's unlikely to be solved in 2020. It's hard to depend on rookie WRs.

This year is very important for Darnold's future so the Jets can't mess around with his weapon and OL. If Darnold doesn't make significant strides, Gase is likely gone and the new Coach will have little reason to stick with Darnold.

Here is my best scenario.....

1.Sign Perriman to replace Robbie

2.Sign Bulaga, Dotson or Constanzo to play OT because Conklin will likely cost too much. 

3.Resign Alex Lewis and target Quinton Spain to play guards

4.sign a cheap center and use later picks to get a center

5.Draft the best available WR or OL. Ideally you get a good tackle to solidify the O-line and take a WR in the 2nd round.

The offense will look like.....

QB-Darnold

RB-Bell

WR-Perriman, Crowder, 2nd rounder

OL-1st Rounder, Bulaga, Spain, Alex Lewis, late rounder/cheap FA

It's not amazing but with the available resources, it's hard to improve the offense around Darnold.

1 minute ago, hamat711 said:

The offense will look like.....

QB-Darnold

RB-Bell

WR-Perriman, Crowder, 2nd rounder

OL-1st Rounder, Bulaga, Spain, Alex Lewis, late rounder/cheap FA

It's not amazing but with the available resources, it's hard to improve the offense around Darnold.

The NY Jets will struggle to win 5 games with that offense. 

5 hours ago, choon328 said:

There’s no John Brown available. If there was that’d be cool. Permian maybe, but hard to trust him at this point. 

Id just rather keep weapons that Sams grown with then take them away at this point in his career. But hey, if you can promise me a Terry Mcluarin in the 3rd then sure. 

• Upvote 1