Joe Douglas Says He Wants Jamal Adams to be a New York Jet for Life

15 minutes ago, JTJet said:

He does not control in destiny in any way. This is a contractual fact. 

There are plenty of teams that trade for players without a deal in place first. We just traded Leo to the Giants in the same scenario. 

The scenario with Leo isn't comparable. We were lucky to get anything at all for him, waiting as long as we did. To do so, we paid his remaining salary, and only got back a 3rd round pick for a guy who's going to be a solid starter for another 7-8 years.

People here felt good about it because we never want to pay our own players, and we had just used the #3 pick in the draft taking what was basically a chubbier, not as good version of him.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, JTJet said:

He does not control in destiny in any way. This is a contractual fact. 

There are plenty of teams that trade for players without a deal in place first. We just traded Leo to the Giants in the same scenario. 

Wrong again. Leo was traded for mid rounders. No team is trading top picks( First and 2nd rounders) without a long term deal in place. Like the Mack deal. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

Dont let the haters influence what you know and see with your own eyes.  What Jamal brings to the table is crazy valuable and there really isnt anyone else in the league that can make plays at every level of the defense like Jamal.  He's the best utility weapon on D in the league.  Line him up anywhere and he excels.  He's a nightmare to game plan for because every single QB in the league has to find 33 before the ball is snapped.

Dude is incredible. 

Not hard to find at all. Just look for the guy with the cheerleader outfit.

• Haha 1

As each year and part-year goes by, the ability to trade Adams for real draft picks decreases by the day.

The teams that paid big money for Thomas, Mathieu and Collins did not give up draft picks.  It is one thing to write a check-it is another to give up draft picks, which should be used to draft less expensive players, AND write a check.  

Fitzpatrick is not only a great athlete and player, but the Steelers thought they needed him and could make a run last year.  Fitzpatrick was drafted a year after Adams.  He was worth more.  What the Cowboys offered for Adams last year was the most a team was going to pay.  

I think to trade for Adams now also requires an extension.  Who is doing that?  The Cowboys are approaching cap heck and need their first round draft pick.  They can draft an Alabama or LSU safety with it, or a WR to replace Amari Cooper for 1/5 of the cost.  

Maybe Jerry trades for Adams, but tells him he is playing out his contract and will be extended after 2021.   Jerry then signs Cooper and goes for it in 2020.  

I watched the press conference and he in no way said "top priority". It also means exactly zilch as this is exactly what you say to insure top trade value.

Much more notable is that we only have 1 starter signed for the OL next year and it is Winters. Seemed unlikely they will dump him for cap space.

Much much much MUCH more notable: "we have to protect Sam" Says it all right there

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

As each year and part-year goes by, the ability to trade Adams for real draft picks decreases by the day.

The teams that paid big money for Thomas, Mathieu and Collins did not give up draft picks.  It is one thing to write a check-it is another to give up draft picks, which should be used to draft less expensive players, AND write a check.  

Fitzpatrick is not only a great athlete and player, but the Steelers thought they needed him and could make a run last year.  Fitzpatrick was drafted a year after Adams.  He was worth more.  What the Cowboys offered for Adams last year was the most a team was going to pay.  

I think to trade for Adams now also requires an extension.  Who is doing that?  The Cowboys are approaching cap heck and need their first round draft pick.  They can draft an Alabama or LSU safety with it, or a WR to replace Amari Cooper for 1/5 of the cost.  

Maybe Jerry trades for Adams, but tells him he is playing out his contract and will be extended after 2021.   Jerry then signs Cooper and goes for it in 2020.  

Jets fans:  "You don't want to pay Adams but you also think there will be a big package of picks out there for him?  LOL."

Also Jets fans:  "It's clear there's not much of a trade market for Adams out there.  So let's pay him $17M per so we can be sure to keep him."

4 minutes ago, SR24 said:

He has 2 picks in his entire career while the rest of the highest paid safeties have 6+ He gets sacks and tackles but is a complete liability in coverage. What are we talking about. Kevin Byard has 17 ints in the same 3 years Jamal has 2 and we're gonna pay Jamal more than the 14mil Byard gets, hard no from me 

Meh, I've blown this debate out of the water many times but to be respectful, I'll give you quick summary; Not all picks are created equal and I've shown many examples where Jamal Adams forcing a stop on 3rd down in a tight game is significantly more impactful than an INT.  Example (and there are many like this) a safety gets a pick with 30 seconds left in a blowout game on 4th and forever.  Is that a meaningful turnover?  No.  It's not.  But because it's a fancy stat we're going to celebrate it even though it was totally meaningless in every way shape or form.  I could keep going but you get the jist.  Besides, you get to watch Jamal game in and game out and see how he impacts the game on every level of the field, so there really shouldnt be a need to go further.

23 minutes ago, SR24 said:

He has 2 picks in his entire career while the rest of the highest paid safeties have 6+ He gets sacks and tackles but is a complete liability in coverage. What are we talking about. Kevin Byard has 17 ints in the same 3 years Jamal has 2 and we're gonna pay Jamal more than the 14mil Byard gets, hard no from me 

While I agree with most of your statement I will disagree with the liability in coverage part.  While there are better coverage safeties in the league, lack of interceptions is not an indication of a player being a liability.  

I'm sure if Jamal played more in coverage than in the box he would have more interceptions.  

8 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

all those thousands of trade Jamal threads. Killled in one press conference .

Funny post, but you know todays PC won't change anything.

Most of us here are like pit bulls when it comes to our opinions. Once we sink our teeth into something... 

Joe Douglas also said that Brian Winters was the only "Opening Day" starter from last year under contract.   It probably could have found a way to say just starter and include Jonathon Harrison.   You just get the sense that they do not like him.  

We all thought that Winters was paid too much money for a mediocre G when he signed his contract, but honestly if he was healthy and was able to play at his prior best, keeping Winters would be a good deal for the team.  I did not necessarily sound like he was getting cut.  

But it can all be a bunch of smoke 

2 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

While I agree with most of your statement I will disagree with the liability in coverage part.  While there are better coverage safeties in the league, lack of interceptions is not an indication of a player being a liability.  

I'm sure if Jamal played more in coverage than in the box he would have more interceptions.  

Duh.  The other part is, the Jets suck.  It's not like they're protecting leads. They need Jamal in or around the LOS.   The other part is lack of pass rush to force errands throws and needing Jamal to be the pass rusher, LB'er, CB and S.  It's a blessing and a curse to be as good as Jamal is at everything. Oh and the fact that INT's are way overblown for many of the reasons I've already stated.

Good news is, we dont have to worry, Jamal is going to be here a long time. 

23 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

Wrong again. Leo was traded for mid rounders. No team is trading top picks( First and 2nd rounders) without a long term deal in place. Like the Mack deal. 

Texans traded Clowney to the Seahawks, 1 year left, no new contract in place. Seahawks gave up 2 players and a 3rd. 

Jags traded Ramsey to the Rams, 1 year left, no new contract in place, got a massive haul. 

Dolphins traded Fitzpatrick to the Steelers, 2 years left, no new contract in place, got a massive haul. 

Dolphins traded Tunsil to the Texans, 2 years left, no new contract in place, got a massive haul. 

I just named you 4 similar scenarios that happened this past season alone and we have Jamals rights for 2 more years at minimum. 

We have the leverage. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JiF said:

Meh, I've blown this debate out of the water many times but to be respectful, I'll give you quick summary; Not all picks are created equal and I've shown many examples where Jamal Adams forcing a stop on 3rd down in a tight game is significantly more impactful than an INT.  Example (and there are many like this) a safety gets a pick with 30 seconds left in a blowout game on 4th and forever.  Is that a meaningful turnover?  No.  It's not.  But because it's a fancy stat we're going to celebrate it even though it was totally meaningless in every way shape or form.  I could keep going but you get the jist.  Besides, you get to watch Jamal game in and game out and see how he impacts the game on every level of the field, so there really shouldnt be a need to go further.

We haven't had a winning record since drafting him what impact is he really making? He's not generating turnovers, not taking over games sure he makes some flashy plays and great tackles but the teams still not winning, you know why? It's because we haven't had a formidable offense since Fitzpatrick had a career year and we had dynamic wrs in Decker/Marshall as well as Brick/Mangold and Carpenter. I'm done throwing bad contracts and draft picks at the defense hoping we can use the scraps of our cap space to build an offense. The fact that people on here at willing to pay arguably the least important position on the field the most money on the team is insane. Trade his ass use the assets to  build an OL, add a dynamic WR and reap the benefits of Sam Darnold with an offense that isn't made up of XFL practice squad players. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, SR24 said:

He's not a liability in coverage.  He had the 4th best coverage grade among safeties in the league last year.  He was also very good the year before in coverage.

How many times are people going to try and use this completely inaccurate narrative to disparage him?

If you don't think a safety is worth a big contract that's fine.  I can understand that argument.  The "no impact" or "bad in coverage" is just tired and basically completely fabricated.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, JiF said:

Dont let the haters influence what you know and see with your own eyes.  What Jamal brings to the table is crazy valuable and there really isnt anyone else in the league that can make plays at every level of the defense like Jamal.  He's the best utility weapon on D in the league.  Line him up anywhere and he excels.  He's a nightmare to game plan for because every single QB in the league has to find 33 before the ball is snapped.

Dude is incredible. 

Well except for the OCs that use his over aggressiveness against him and lick their chops knowing there is no safety help on 85% of the plays.  I am sure the OCs that had the horror of Neville Hewitt having to cover WRs and Slot receivers all year was too much for them to take.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Texans traded Clowney to the Seahawks, 1 year left, no new contract in place. Seahawks gave up 2 players and a 3rd. 

Jags traded Ramsey to the Rams, 1 year left, no new contract in place, got a massive haul. 

Dolphins traded Fitzpatrick to the Steelers, 2 years left, no new contract in place, got a massive haul. 

Dolphins traded Tunsil to the Texans, 2 years left, no new contract in place, got a massive haul. 

I just named you 4 similar scenarios that happened this past season alone and we have Jamals rights for 2 more years at minimum. 

We have the leverage. 

The difference is none of those guys were demanding extensions. Jamal is pulling a Revis. He wants his money now.  If we don't give him a ridiculously overpriced contract, I guarantee you he holds out. 

10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He's not a liability in coverage.  He had the 4th best coverage grade among safeties in the league last year.  He was also very good the year before in coverage.

How many times are people going to try and use this completely inaccurate narrative to disparage him?

If you don't think a safety is worth a big contract that's fine.  I can understand that argument.  The "no impact" or "bad in coverage" is just tired and basically completely fabricated.

He is almost never actually asked to  cover anyone.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He is almost never actually asked to  cover anyone.

He had 9 less targets than Byard.  This is the type of post that just makes me scratch my head.  You cherry pick one play as your evidence, even though there are piles of statistics that argue he is indeed actually very capable in coverage?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

The difference is none of those guys were demanding extensions. Jamal is pulling a Revis. He wants his money now.  If we don't give him a ridiculously overpriced contract, I guarantee you he holds out. 

Stop moving the goalpost here. 

I just gave you exactly what you said didnt happen, and then you change the parameters. 

With that being said, Ramsey was demanding more money and so was Fitzpatrick. They just were not doing so as publicly as Jamal "Social Media Master" Adams was. 

Teams are starting to trade all the time for players without contracts in place, and they do so by giving up premium picks. And of all those scenarios I listed, we have more leverage than any of those other teams did. 

• Upvote 1