Jet OLine Rumors

KRL

I have a hard time seeing the jets landing both of these guys, especially at the money they will want, I can see them signing one then pivoting to the other and making a low cost signing to pair with it.  

For example.  Signing Conklin and pairing that with Alex Lewis.  Or signing Thuney and pairing it with Vaitai or Beachum. 

I cant see with all the money we've spent last offseason them going all in and signing both of those guys, and then STILL trying to resign guys like Anderson and Poole. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I have a hard time seeing the jets landing both of these guys, especially at the money they will want, I can see them signing one then pivoting to the other and making a low cost signing to pair with it.  

For example.  Signing Conklin and pairing that with Alex Lewis.  Or signing Thuney and pairing it with Vaitai or Beachum. 

I cant see with all the money we've spent last offseason them going all in and signing both of those guys, and then STILL trying to resign guys like Anderson and Poole. 

Not to mention they have to accept our offer and the recent Jets are notorious for losing out despite being the highest bidder—something I bet Le’veon Bell wishes he had done.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Not to mention they have to accept our offer and the Jets under Macc were notorious for losing out despite being the highest bidder—something I bet Le’veon Bell wishes he had done.

Every GM presents a different situation though, Ill never compare contract negotiations between GM's until they've each had a chance to pursue and sign high priced valued FA.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Every GM presents a different situation though, Ill never compare contract negotiations between GM's until they've each had a chance to pursue and sign high priced valued FA.   

You ever wear a pair of sneakers in the rain? The stink never goes away after only one washing. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, jgb said:

You ever wear a pair of sneakers in the rain? The stink never goes away after only one washing. 

I understand the analogy you're making but to me that situation is what it is.  Players do care about situations they are going to, to a certain extent. You either look at JD and say I like what i see and even though the team isn't great right now I can see they are going in the direction I feel comfortable with, or you say "its the jets, they're always a joke, no thanks". In those. cases no matter who the GM is really(there are a few top of the line guys that supersede this point)  you're going to still have issues.  

JD is a very very highly respected NFL Front office Candidate.  If players want to take a wait and see approach then see ya, To me signing FA's mostly comes down to 2 things.  how much guaranteed $$, and how do the negotiations go.  Mac was a really stubborn negotiator, which actually worked in his favor a lot of times, however his eye for talent was what killed him.  We'll see what kind of negotiator and evaluator JD is now. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I understand the analogy you're making but to me that situation is what it is.  Players do care about situations they are going to, to a certain extent. You either look at JD and say I like what i see and even though the team isn't great right now I can see they are going in the direction I feel comfortable with, or you say "its the jets, they're always a joke, no thanks". In those. cases no matter who the GM is really(there are a few top of the line guys that supersede this point)  you're going to still have issues.  

JD is a very very highly respected NFL Front office Candidate.  If players want to take a wait and see approach then see ya, To me signing FA's mostly comes down to 2 things.  how much guaranteed $$, and how do the negotiations go.  Mac was a really stubborn negotiator, which actually worked in his favor a lot of times, however his eye for talent was what killed him.  We'll see what kind of negotiator and evaluator JD is now. 

Macc wasn’t stubborn. The only time he ever won at the table was when he was negotiating against himself. Idzik was the stubborn one. He came up with an idea of what a player “should” cost and then refused to budge even when the market shifted around him.

The jets have a reputation. The only way to reverse that is good drafting and then success on the field. We have for many years had to pay a beggar’s tax on FAs.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Macc wasn’t stubborn. The only time he ever won at the table was when he was negotiating against himself. Idzik was the stubborn one. He came up with an idea of what a player “should” cost and then refused to budge even when the market shifted around him.

The jets have a reputation. The only way to reverse that is good drafting and then success on the field. We have for many years had to pay a beggar’s tax on FAs.

I actually beg to differ which is fine, there were several contracts in which macc held out and got the money structured in a way where they could get out of the deal earlier.  Now there were also some deals where he got hosed (trumaine).  He was inconsistent at best as a GM.  A lot of Macc's picks for player trades worked out well for the jets in terms of value given up for talent gotten (Brandon Marshall was a great move).  

The jets have a reputation as a Futile franchise, but i believe that comes more from ownership and the revolving door of decisions that have been our GM's.  Again JD also has a reputation, so while it may take convincing to see that he has the vision and planning to take this team to the next level, if you buy in on him as a player, you buy in on the jets.  

Also worth noting, while we usually are paying some of the highest bids on the market, it should be taken into consideration how positively the off the field things are viewed for the jets.  The New York market is very attractive to some, but also the quality of life and facility they get to practice at plays a large part in all of this.  Talking with guys on the team and others around the league, the jets have one of the nicest most luxurious facilities in the entire NFL. A lot of players love the idea of living in northern NJ and the comforts and amenities afforded to them at 1 Jets Drive definitely is a selling point. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, KRL said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2020-nfl-scouting-combine-latest-news-rumors/

1:23 PM ET (via Tony Pauline): Thuney and Conklin on the move?

Two free agent offensive linemen are in huge demand and have created a big market for themselves during discussions at the combine. The first would be soon to be former New England Patriots guard Joe Thuney, as almost two dozen teams (20 to be exact) are showing interest in his services.  The belief is Thuney will get a lot more money than initially expected as there will be a bidding war to sign him.

The other is Jack Conklin, who’s also expected to sign a huge contract.  The offensive line needy New York Jets are in hot pursuit of Conklin – I have confirmed that. If the Jets don’t land Conklin, their back-up plan could include Halapoulivaati Vaitai of the Philadelphia Eagles, who general manager Joe Douglas is familiar with. Vaitai is a versatile offensive lineman that’s played several positions for the Eagles and as someone from the organization told me he can be a “solid starting right or left tackle” in the NFL.

Thuney at guard. Vaitai at Right Tackle. Draft a left tackle in Round One.  Bring back Harrison and hopefully replace him with a 3rd round center. Bring back Winters if he is healthy (that one won't be popular).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Thuney at guard. Vaitai at Right Tackle. Draft a left tackle in Round One.  Bring back Harrison and hopefully replace him with a 3rd round center. Bring back Winters if he is healthy (that one won't be popular).

I can think of 7,281,250 reasons why that won't happen.

If Winters comes back it'll be after cutting him first and then signing him to a new deal.  Between possibly bringing back Alex Lewis, free agency and the draft I see no reason to do that.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Not to mention they have to accept our offer and the recent Jets are notorious for losing out despite being the highest bidder—something I bet Le’veon Bell wishes he had done.

Was there a second-highest bidder for Bell? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

Good plan, except I would draft a WR in round 2 and a C in round 3

I get that the WR class is very deep this year, but I'll still be very disappointed if they haven't drafted one by the end of Day Two. Fully understand going OT in the first round if there's a guy there they believe worthy of the pick, but you have to come back in the next round and grab some of the cream at WR. Can't ****ing Idzik this thing. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Let's go Joe sign both of them!

Neither.  Conklin may have a hard time staying on the field, is not a good pass blocker and Thuney is not too far in advance than the interior lineman they already have.

Since Castonzo is going back to the Colts and Conklin is a probable waste of money...

Do this.

Rely on Beachum for one of the tackle spots

Draft Thomas or Wirfs or Wills for the other tackle spot.

Use later rounds to add two more interior lineman.

That is how it should be... 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, KRL said:

Good plan, except I would draft a WR in round 2 and a C in round 3

i definitely see OT in round 1 and wr in round 2.  value meets need.  round 3 will probably be cb and then it gets interesting.  if they didn't address OL enough in FA they could draft a center or OG with the hopes the guy starts right away or at some point this year.  or they could go wr or rb.  

2 hours ago, jgb said:

the part about a player needing to accept the offer seems to be forgotten when fans talk about what players their teams will get.  who knows if thuney will accept the jets offer even if it's the highest.  same with conklin.  the jets can probably overpay and land one of them.  will that be enough if they also draft a couple of olinemen?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the part about a player needing to accept the offer seems to be forgotten when fans talk about what players their teams will get.  who knows if thuney will accept the jets offer even if it's the highest.  same with conklin.  the jets can probably overpay and land one of them.  will that be enough if they also draft a couple of olinemen?

This.  People say the draft is a crapshoot, but free agency is even more so.  The player holds all the cards, or the dice using the crapshoot analogy.  We can make a push to try to sign a guy, make a great offer, even get him cupcakes, but if he wants to be somewhere else becasue of better offer, on field reasons, off field reasons, relationship with coaching staff or any number of other reasons, we are not going to get our guy. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

Weapons with a Z is cute until you realize that right now our outside WRs are Josh Bellamy and Vyncent Smith.  

We can’t fix it all in one year.

This offseason should be about making sure Darnold doesn’t get murdered back there. Next offseason can be about adding playmakers. 

Besides, I’m sure there are some budget FA’s or short term vets we can look at for the upcoming season just to fill out the roster. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

20 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I actually beg to differ which is fine, there were several contracts in which macc held out and got the money structured in a way where they could get out of the deal earlier.  Now there were also some deals where he got hosed (trumaine).  He was inconsistent at best as a GM.  A lot of Macc's picks for player trades worked out well for the jets in terms of value given up for talent gotten (Brandon Marshall was a great move).  

Earlier compared to what? Never mind that this isn’t true, but I don’t know where this ridiculous perception came from, that everyone except the Jets was fully guaranteeing non-elite, non-QB veterans for 3-4 years. 

Macc signed Enunwa to an extension structured the way Macc wanted. The team is on the hook for paying him in 2020 and 2021 for his partial 1 game played. He also fully guaranteed Revis ~2.5 years, fully guaranteed Trumaine Johnson 2 full years, fully guaranteed Mo 2+ full years, and then there were others like Cro who got 1 year guaranteed but it was at 2x the rate others paid him (effectively making that guaranteeing 2 years' pay as well).

The Brandon Marshall trade was because Chicago called Macc up and made a lowball offer he couldn’t refuse, because they were desperate to separate him and Cutler, and therefore wanted to guarantee the 2nd rated WR fell to them at #7 (we picked one slot ahead of them at #6 and needed a starting WR even more than they did). To ensure the Jets didn’t draft the WR in round 1, they gave Macc Brandon Marshall. It was no stroke of genius. They specifically wanted to trade Marshall to the Jets, and just as surely they took less to trade him here instead of to a team who picked later.

Maccagnan was excellent at absolutely nothing at all (other than fleecing the Johnsons, which doesn’t seem to require any particular skill). 

I do agree with you that, for some players, there is just an attraction with being close to that rathole NYC. Especially to a single semi-celebrity in his mid-late 20s with millions of dollars up front. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, jgb said:

That was sick!