Jet OLine Rumors

KRL

3 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

We can’t fix it all in one year.

This offseason should be about making sure Darnold doesn’t get murdered back there. Next offseason can be about adding playmakers. 

Besides, I’m sure there are some budget FA’s or short term vets we can look at for the upcoming season just to fill out the roster. 

imo this team can be a playoff team after this free agency period and draft.  they can easily upgrade the oline and the offensive skill positions and then deal with a couple of key defense positions like corner.  they went 7-6 with darnold and a shaky oline.  it doesn't take much to get them to the 10-6 level.  if they get lucky in the draft and the free agents all work out they may get to 12-4.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

imo this team can be a playoff team after this free agency period and draft.  they can easily upgrade the oline and the offensive skill positions and then deal with a couple of key defense positions like corner.  they went 7-6 with darnold and a shaky oline.  it doesn't take much to get them to the 10-6 level.  if they get lucky in the draft and the free agents all work out they may get to 12-4.

That’s certainly a fair perspective.

My own opinion is I think we had a soft end of the year schedule, and we looked better than we were.

Granted, if we had a kicker (Or if Mosley didn’t go out in the second half) we’d have beaten the Bills week one - and the Darnold mono situation ruined the rest of the start of the year.

I don’t think we’re as bad as we were to start the season or as good as our W/L record was for the last 8 games. 

I think last year was so wonky it makes it difficult to assess the team.

The only thing I’m absolutely sure about is that our cornerbacks and offensive line sucked. And of those two, considering the future is bright with Darnold, we need to prioritize the o-line immediately and I’m willing to let other needs wait in order to do that. 

• Sympathy 1

Sign Vaitai and Conklin to bookend for Darnold the next 4-5 years. Bring back Lewis on a 2 year deal.  Now you don't have to reach for a tacke at 11. Draft an explosive potential #1 WR at 11 or drop back and do the same thing later in the 1st round. Use 2 picks on a Guard and Center between rounds 2 thru 5. Add a RB with one of the 3rd round picks. Now you've added a playmaker at WR and HB and have solidified the offensive line for the foreseeable future and protected your most valuable asset... Darnold. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

That’s certainly a fair perspective.

My own opinion is I think we had a soft end of the year schedule, and we looked better than we were.

Granted, if we had a kicker (Or if Mosley didn’t go out in the second half) we’d have beaten the Bills week one - and the Darnold mono situation ruined the rest of the start of the year.

I don’t think we’re as bad as we were to start the season or as good as our W/L record was for the last 8 games. 

I think last year was so wonky it makes it difficult to assess the team.

The only thing I’m absolutely sure about is that our cornerbacks and offensive line sucked. And of those two, considering the future is bright with Darnold, we need to prioritize the o-line immediately and I’m willing to let other needs wait in order to do that. 

yep.  i know a lot of people talk about the schedule and all.  imo, there just aren't that many teams that carry over their records from year to year.  the patsies and steelers were certainly teams to be reckoned with year in and year out but other teams can be had.  the jets beat the cowgirls, steelers, raiders and bills.  okay you can discount the bills because they had their spot locked up.  still these teams were all playoff contenders and really needed to win their games.  and let's not forget the dolfins were surging at season's end.

the bottom line is the team finally has a reliable qb and some good players on both defense and offense.  a few more pieces can put them firmly into playoff territory.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

Thuney at guard. Vaitai at Right Tackle. Draft a left tackle in Round One.  Bring back Harrison and hopefully replace him with a 3rd round center. Bring back Winters if he is healthy (that one won't be popular).

i like this.  can't see spending huge money on a RT in Conklin.  hopefully the jets can grab one of the top OTs in round 1.

• Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, section314 said:

Anyone  in their right mind would have taken Brady over Warren Sapp.?

Every Chuck and Larry in the audience would've made the right decision but of course the Jets screwed it up royally. The Sapp miss was even more egregious than the Marino miss IMHO.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Every Chuck and Larry in the audience would've made the right decision but of course the Jets screwed it up royally. The Sapp miss was even more egregious than the Marino miss IMHO.

I agree.  I'll never forget Sapp's last game as a Cane...the Orange Bowl vs Nebraska when he basically dominated them and kept Miami in the game. When we passed on him , I felt sick to my stomach. I had the same felling last draft when we took Re-Run over Josh Allen.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, section314 said:

I agree.  I'll never forget Sapp's last game as a Cane...the Orange Bowl vs Nebraska when he basically dominated them and kept Miami in the game. When we passed on him , I felt sick to my stomach. I had the same felling last draft when we took Re-Run over Josh Allen.

But he has the same physique as Aaron Donald! ?

Image result for aaron donald

Image result for quinnen williams fat

Aaron Donald is DK Metcalf compared to QW.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

How much would you guys be willing to pay Conklin and Thuney per year? I want them both just curious to see how high some of you would go. I feel like they're both gonna get like $17-$19mil if that's the case I'd still try and sign 1 we need it

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

How much would you guys be willing to pay Conklin and Thuney per year? I want them both just curious to see how high some of you would go. I feel like they're both gonna get like $17-$19mil if that's the case I'd still try and sign 1 we need it

Whatever it takes to get them. It’ll be overpaying them but that’s what free agency is and the result of not drafting any OL in a decade. Gotta pay up. 

16 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Whatever it takes to get them. It’ll be overpaying them but that’s what free agency is and the result of not drafting any OL in a decade. Gotta pay up. 

I like Conklin but idk if I like $19mil/yr Conklin lol

• Upvote 2

Friday Buzz

10:00 PM ET (via Tony Pauline): Wills sliding while Thuney’s market expected to explode
Additional sources confirm my earlier report that several teams have moved Jedrick Wills off their tackle board and are now grading him as a guard.

Earlier this week I mentioned the huge market developing for veteran guard Joe Thuney, soon to be a free agent. That market, and any contract Thuney may sign, will explode further once the Washington Redskins sign Brandon Scherff to an extension or place the franchise tag on him, as is being reported.

I mentioned during the Senior Bowl that the New York Jets are one of the teams seeking Thuney’s services and someone today told me, “they want him,” in reference to the Jets’ ambitions of signing the offensive guard.

With Thuney being courted by so many teams, the question is this – does he want the Jets? A team official I spoke with said signing Thuney will be tough for the Jets, so they’ll have to be creative.

One way they may be able to bring Thuney to Gang Green is by offering a contract similar to the one Kirk Cousins signed; a shorter but guaranteed contract. The idea of a three-year deal with a high average annual salary may be appealing to Thuney, as he’ll be just 30 years old once the contract ends and could potentially be in line for another huge deal.

17 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Friday Buzz

10:00 PM ET (via Tony Pauline): Wills sliding while Thuney’s market expected to explode
Additional sources confirm my earlier report that several teams have moved Jedrick Wills off their tackle board and are now grading him as a guard.

Earlier this week I mentioned the huge market developing for veteran guard Joe Thuney, soon to be a free agent. That market, and any contract Thuney may sign, will explode further once the Washington Redskins sign Brandon Scherff to an extension or place the franchise tag on him, as is being reported.

I mentioned during the Senior Bowl that the New York Jets are one of the teams seeking Thuney’s services and someone today told me, “they want him,” in reference to the Jets’ ambitions of signing the offensive guard.

With Thuney being courted by so many teams, the question is this – does he want the Jets? A team official I spoke with said signing Thuney will be tough for the Jets, so they’ll have to be creative.

One way they may be able to bring Thuney to Gang Green is by offering a contract similar to the one Kirk Cousins signed; a shorter but guaranteed contract. The idea of a three-year deal with a high average annual salary may be appealing to Thuney, as he’ll be just 30 years old once the contract ends and could potentially be in line for another huge deal.

I think while the draft is strong at OT, it’s thin at OG, so getting a quality guard in the 3rd round is probably less likely.  

• Upvote 1

Remember that the Jets have very little $ invested in the OL at this time, so overpaying for one guy, and maybe even two, is warranted.  Any OL drafted will be on relatively cap friendly deals for 4 years, so they can overpay for a couple of guys for 3-4 years.

Having said that, if the Jets have a chance to sign Conklin and/or Thuney each at, say, $18m or so, I'd just sign one.  Conklin.  Take the OT, then maybe look to sign one of the 2nd tier G available.

One thing in Thuney's favor is that he a LG, so on Darnold's blind side.  It might be nice to have a quality vet in between a young LT and C that the Jets then draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 2/27/2020 at 2:15 PM, Greenseed4 said:

Vaitai can be a "solid starting right or left tackle." 

Conklin can be a really good starting right or left tackle. 

And if we sign a few of these positions, Sam can stand on his feet a little longer, and Bell can get more than .05 yd on a dive play.

6 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Friday Buzz

The idea of giving Thuney a Cousins-like guaranteed deal probably in the 3 years/$50M range makes me think, “**** him!”