What's the difference between JD and Mac?

NYJ1

13 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Ill be able to answer this question better after I see how the first draft class JD has plays for a year .. 

True. Drafting is probably 75% of the job and we have yet to see what he can do. Right now I see no difference between Douglas and Mac.

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Didn't Idzik bring in questionable characters too? The RB from Oakland, some CB that never showed up? 

Dimitri Patterson. Idzik signed him then he went AWOL just before a preseason game so he was cut. Then Idzik decided he didn't need him to begin with. So Rex went into the season with one less CB.

16 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

True. Drafting is probably 75% of the job and we have yet to see what he can do. Right now I see no difference between Douglas and Mac.

That's a ridiculous statement. Macc always overpaid for slightly above average players like Jenkins. Jenkins is a very good NFL player but he's not top 75% tile. 

Overpaying our own players has been a huge problem. Mo Wilk, Richardson, Winters, and the beat went on. Obviously JD has a formula he uses & sticks by it. He also resigned depth players who stood out when the opportunity arose for them due to injuries last year. 

Douglas & Macc are like polar opposites. The NY Jets are no longer the NFLs sugar daddy for free agents. 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Jetster said:

Add up the contracts of EVERY SINGLE FREE AGENT & EVERY PLAYER JET HE RESIGNED and give me that figure.

Give me the total figure on cap space in 2020. 

There's your answer! 

The combined 2019 salaries of Trumaine Johnson & Le'veon Bell! 

Macc signed Quincy Enunwa, a guy with a cracked neck to $36,000,000 contract with $20,000,000 guaranteed! 

JD signed 5 olineman for that price! 

Thank you for this post.  Gets right to the heart of the matter.  No need to detail the fact that that the serial coffee drinking troglodyte about to be Fired scout in Houston who was Upped to GM by the stupidest Ownership in the NFL could not draft, AT ALL, nor have the slightest sense of understanding “value” in free agency, most times bidding against himself for pure garbage “talent”......Maccagnan was probably in the Top 3 of the stupidest mofos to EVER land a job at the level he did in NFL History....and why he probably would never be hired again by a pro team, even as Janitor.

• Upvote 1

Mac’s biggest flaw wasn’t not recognizing talent (although he couldn’t do that) it was more fundamental than that.

It was entirely lacking in understanding of what type of team wins in today’s NFL. Inexplicably Mac had one of two problems...

1) He didn’t understand the most basic premise of positional value and just signed players will little to no rationale.

2) He believed building a defense up the middle (DT, S, MLB) was the way to dominate- and put little to no value on the offensive line.

One of those two were, without question, Mac’s biggest flaw - which one I’m not sure but either one are almost hard to believe a GM in NFL is capable of - but, based on the team’s he built - there’s no other way to see it

If I didnt know any better, Id say that you are in a COVID 19 affected country and have spent the last two weeks in quarantine. 

However, since I am, I will entertain this thread. The only problem that I have with Douglas is that we still have the guy that almost turned Tannehill into sh!t. I guess there are a couple of reasons why we cant get rid of him, even though all of our alerts went off after that FIRST press conference.

People keep saying that Mac neglected the offensive line.  He really didn't.  He mishandled it plenty, but he put assets into it.  He signed Carpenter, he traded for Clady.  He tried to pay Beachum, then picked him up after he was cut.  He paid Long.  He traded for Osemele.  He gave a fairly lucrative deal to backup swing tackle Ijalana.  He traded up for both Shell and Edoga.  He also, just to further incense @Sperm Edwards and your friendly neighborhood Dominator,  paid good non-guaranteed money to  Breno Giacomini when it was obvious he was done.

Some of his only good moves included the kind of secondary market signings the OP is complaining about - Harrison and Compton.  It all comes down to talent evaluation.  If these guys play like Kalil, he sucks.  If he identified some talent that can play well together we will build shrines and T0mShane will have "Joe Douglas Rules!" tattooed on his ass. 

• Upvote 1

Do you people even hear yourselves? Douglas had yet to make a single pick and you're all stroking him. I'm sorry, but I'm going to wait to heap praise upon him. Essentially, he's done nothing for this team so far.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

In case most of you can't read, and that does appear to be the case, it says that JD has yet to draft and this is the area where he can set himself apart. 

If JD manages to screw up this draft it would be a monumental f up

This draft is loaded at our two biggest positions of need in the first three rounds.  My dog could improve the jets in this draft

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NYJ1 said:

Do you people even hear yourselves? Douglas had yet to make a single pick and you're all stroking him. I'm sorry, but I'm going to wait to heap praise upon him. Essentially, he's done nothing for this team so far.

So far he’s done ok.  He signed a bunch of decent mid tier FAs to solidify the OL, signed a good corner and resigned a couple decent players we needed to lock up plus he swindled the giants out of a third round pick tho who knows the giants are a mess right now

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If JD manages to screw up this draft it would be a monumental f up

This draft is loaded at our two biggest positions of need in the first three rounds.  My dog could improve the jets in this draft

Yes, he's definitely in an ideal spot to make this an excellent draft.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

In case most of you can't read, and that does appear to be the case, it says that JD has yet to draft and this is the area where he can set himself apart. 

And in case you haven't noticed everyone is commenting on the FA portion of your post.  Thats bad enough on its own

There IS no difference. Both guys have limited options. The REAL difference may just be that Mac pretty much went all in for our "franchise QB". The OL is bereft because Mac spent what, #1, 3 #2s, on Sam Darnold.

For all your bitching about how incompetent Mac was, he got you your 'franchise qb' when could have drafted OL, EDGE, AND CB. He did exactly what you wanted him to.

• Haha 1

I like the deliberate approach Joe Douglas is taking in free agency. He's targeting positions of need that would be more difficult to fill in this year's draft. So just one OT, no WRs, but a boatload of interior OL. He's sticking to the value chart in his head and not overpaying anyone. Players we thought were goners resigning for reasonable deals. How many players did Mac bid against himself for? His own free agents and others? There's a logic that can be followed so far with JD's moves that just didn't exist so much with Mac. And you get the feeling that Gase and Gregg Williams are both being heard while Mac froze out the Jets' coaches. While fans here are questioning some players signed, he seems to be building the team the coaches want. 

Sure, we have to see how it plays out on the field. That's fair. But calling Mac and JD interchangeable at this stage is not. It's ridiculous. 

7 minutes ago, phill1c said:

There IS no difference. Both guys have limited options. The REAL difference may just be that Mac pretty much went all in for our "franchise QB". The OL is bereft because Mac spent what, #1, 3 #2s, on Sam Darnold.

For all your bitching about how incompetent Mac was, he got you your 'franchise qb' when could have drafted OL, EDGE, CB. He did exactly what you wanted him to.

Yeah if only we stayed put and drafted Rosen instead

imo i think the biggest difference between mac and douglas is that mac always seemed to be drafting these reach type players.  you know the ones who fell out of first round consideration because of injury, or attitude, or bad pro day, or who knows.  every draft pick was prefaced with we had this guy or that guy rated in a higher round.  douglas, on the other hand, seems to be a guy who will draft football players and will draft for need as well as bpa.

12 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

People keep saying that Mac neglected the offensive line.  He really didn't.  He mishandled it plenty, but he put assets into it.  He signed Carpenter, he traded for Clady.  He tried to pay Beachum, then picked him up after he was cut.  He paid Long.  He traded for Osemele.  He gave a fairly lucrative deal to backup swing tackle Ijalana.  He traded up for both Shell and Edoga.  He also, just to further incense @Sperm Edwards and your friendly neighborhood Dominator,  paid good non-guaranteed money to  Breno Giacomini when it was obvious he was done.

Some of his only good moves included the kind of secondary market signings the OP is complaining about - Harrison and Compton.  It all comes down to talent evaluation.  If these guys play like Kalil, he sucks.  If he identified some talent that can play well together we will build shrines and T0mShane will have "Joe Douglas Rules!" tattooed on his ass. 

The Jets consistently had more $ tied into the offensive line than most teams when McCagnan was in charge. That is in large part because he mostly ignored it in the draft. 

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, slats said:

I like the deliberate approach Joe Douglas is taking in free agency. He's targeting positions of need that would be more difficult to fill in this year's draft. So just one OT, no WRs, but a boatload of interior OL. He's sticking to the value chart in his head and not overpaying anyone. Players we thought were goners resigning for reasonable deals. How many players did Mac bid against himself for? His own free agents and others? There's a logic that can be followed so far with JD's moves that just didn't exist so much with Mac. And you get the feeling that Gase and Gregg Williams are both being heard while Mac froze out the Jets' coaches. While fans here are questioning some players signed, he seems to be building the team the coaches want. 

Sure, we have to see how it plays out on the field. That's fair. But calling Mac and JD interchangeable at this stage is not. It's ridiculous. 

You could also just as easily say he picked up a bunch of high risk players in an effort to find some bargains and get ahead of the money curve? There are none and I do mean zero big names in every player he signed. It appears to me he was looking for "diamonds in the rough" . Now I hope he found them. It would be nice to think we have a GM that thought of something no one else did and essentially stole big value. But like I said in this thread I'm a firm believer that you pay for what you get when it comes to the OL. I see average players (McGovern). I see injury risk players (Lewis). I see a developmental player (Fant). Well, the obvious rap on these players is the following....

McGovern is an AVERAGE player, certainly not great at one of the most important positions on the OL. Lewis is a major injury concern, he hasn't ever played a full season. Fant is a player that looks promising, but still seems to be learning on the job.

So it's not like we just Mangold, Ferguson, and Alan Faneca in their prime through Free agency? Not even close.