Left tackle

AFJF

Left tackle  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Which approach would you prefer on draft day at left tackle?

• Take best LT on the board at 11
    • Trade a 3rd for Trent Williams, draft BPA at 11
    • Trade down to middle of round 1 to add picks and take Josh Jones
    • Start Fant at LT and go BPA at 11

Trading down is the best option.
Team is devoid of talent so we need as many picks as possible.  Still a number of good tackles in the second half of the 1st.  
Happy to take one of them and add a pick or two in the top 100.

I don’t think there are many good tackles outside of rd 1 that can step in and play the LT role.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Im not sure why you would do all of this work on the offensive line only to leave a glaring hole at LT or RT going into the draft.  It puts the Jets in a terrible spot, especially if the top 4 guys are off the board by 11.  If that happens they would probably wait to take a tackle in the 2nd or possibly 3rd. That's a huge risk after putting in all of this other work on the line.  I think they're going to make a move for Trent Williams once the compensation drops to a 3rd. Once Peters signs with Washington a trade involving Williams wiill happen shortly after.  Not sure if it'll be the Jets but I think they'll try. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Just resign Beachum already 

it’s looking like one of the top 4 isn’t falling to 11

Agree with the concept of signing a Beachum or Peters on a ST deal vs. giving up a draft pick for Williams.  An extra FA OT also gives JD the option to go WR or even trade back from #11 if a QB is sitting there

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Agree with the concept of signing a Beachum or Peters on a ST deal vs. giving up a draft pick for Williams.  An extra FA OT also gives JD the option to go WR or even trade back from #11 if a QB is sitting there

We can get Peters on a one year $17 million deal and then draft a OT next year 

16 hours ago, AFJF said:

Which option would you choose at LT in the draft?

misread initial question....answered the poll assuming top 4 OT were off the board.   chose the trade down option, however if there is an OT we like at 11 by all means we should take him.

imo the jets will have a shot at one of the top 4 tackles at pick 11.  since 2010 there have been a total of 17 olinemen taken in the top 10 and 2 of those were guards.  the most oline players were taken in 2013 (5 , three tackles and  two guards).  the least number is in 2017 and 2019 (0).  there was 1 olineman in 2018 and 2011 and 2 each in 2016, 2014, 2012, and 2010.

I dont think my preference has changed since the start of the offseason; 

1st RD - BAP LT

2nd RD - BAP WR

3rd RD  - BAP OL or WR

3rd RD -  BAP OL or WR or RB - depending on the position before

4th RD - BAP OL or WR or RB - depending on the position before.

That said, if all the LT's are gone, WR at #11 please and flop the 1st and 2nd round positions. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I dont think my preference has changed since the start of the offseason; 

1st RD - BAP LT

2nd RD - BAP WR

3rd RD  - BAP OL or WR

3rd RD -  BAP OL or WR or RB - depending on the position before

4th RD - BAP OL or WR or RB - depending on the position before.

Pretty much what I was thinking.  I wish there was another choice.  I agree with the 1st but if the top 4 LTs are off the board I'd probably go WR in the 1st, OL in the 2nd.

The Williams and BPA sounds good, I would only trade if the comp was less than a 3rd.  That would really open the door to taking the BPA

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, AFJF said:

Which option would you choose at LT in the draft?

Assuming they’d somehow have the money.... I would honestly probably (if I could) trade a 3rd for Williams & draft the best OT at 11 and probably draft the best interior OG/C on the board w the second round pick. 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Pretty much what I was thinking.  I wish there was another choice.  I agree with the 1st but if the top 4 LTs are off the board I'd probably go WR in the 1st, OL in the 2nd.

The Williams and BPA sounds good, I would only trade if the comp was less than a 3rd.  That would really open the door to taking the BPA

I edited my posts to reflect; if all the LT's are gone and we're on the same page there.  

• Upvote 1

JD's managing of the OT position doesn't pass the smell test.  It is completely opposite of how he's handled everything else up to this point.

The amount of $ he paid Fant, a mostly unproven OT. 

Our other best OT player of Edoga not having shown enough to cement himself at either LT or RT.

There HAS to be a plan A in place to get a seasoned vet on the roster before the draft.  There has to be a plan B in place as well.  I'd think even a plan C.

---

He has not given any indication of paying trading draft capital for a "hold the fort" older player.  He got burned trying to bring the retired guy, who hadn't played in awhile, in middle of last season.  For these 2 reasons I do not believe the move for Trent Williams is on the table.

Therefore I'd say (plan A) he's waiting on Jason Peters to accept the "smaller than desired" contract on the table, if that does not happen (plan B/C) he has in place the outline for a deal with Beachum that he will move quickly on if needed. (just like the Robbie Anderson WR situation). or (Plan B/C) he has another 'semi-ok" veteran deal in place that he moves forward with. (Germain Ifedi,  Bashaud Breeland,  Daryl Williams, etc.)

His hope is for the draft to pan out in his favor and he gets 1 or more draft picks to compete against Peters/Fant/Edogo in camp.  If said draft pick does not gain the spot then move forward with them in reserve to start the season, possible mid-season move into the starting role (due to a variety of possibilities), and/or make an evaluation on whether they should move into a starters position for next season.

---

The seemingly importance of his OT choice in the draft  would lead me to believe:

He believes has several of the draft prospects who are, in his book, likely to succeed as his LT (or possibly just RT).  as long as at least 2 of those are on the board he will stay in place at 11.

He already has plans in place to trade up (even if it means overpaying draft capital) enough to ensure he gets 1 of his choices.

He will not trade down in Round 1 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

If JD’s top four OTs are off the board at #11, then he has to seriously work the phones to trade down. Land an extra second or third+ and move on. 

• Upvote 2

Something I noticed earlier today is the fact that Jason Peters had 10 penalties last season, 7 in the last 6 weeks of the regular season.  That definitely does not fit the profile of what they have been targeting so far.  Makes me think he may not be an option for the Jets.

2 hours ago, slats said:

If JD’s top four OTs are off the board at #11, then he has to seriously work the phones to trade down. Land an extra second or third+ and move on. 

I agree.  And hopefully he can find a willing partner looking to come up to 11.

I was blabbering within the OPs parameters of picking at 11 

On 3/25/2020 at 1:30 PM, long time suffering Jets f said:

I voted to trade for Trent Williams as long as its for a 3rd, then take Jeudy at 11.

You'd also need to tell me what the years & $s are of the contract we'd have to give him before I would consider that option.

The thing about the "top WRs" (ie. Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs) is that I don't think there is that much of a gap between them and the next "tier" of WRs (Jefferson, Mims, Higgins) while there may be a little more of a gap between the top 4 OTs and the next tier of OTs.

In that case, if the top 4 OTs are gone before 11 and we can trade back and get another pick, it might actually make sense. Depends on the grades Joe D and staff have on the WR group (and the OTs for that matter).

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I’m starting to doubt that but who knows

Lol when's the last time 4 offensive lineman went in the first 10 picks? Much less that many teams prioritizing the same position of OT. I remember in 2018 everyone swore Darnold would be gone before 3, was false, and that all QBs would be gone by pick 8,which was False, I think Rosen fell to 10 or 11.