Left tackle

AFJF

Left tackle  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Which approach would you prefer on draft day at left tackle?

• Take best LT on the board at 11
    • Trade a 3rd for Trent Williams, draft BPA at 11
    • Trade down to middle of round 1 to add picks and take Josh Jones
    • Start Fant at LT and go BPA at 11

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Trading down is the best option.

Team is devoid of talent so we need as many picks as possible.  Still a number of good tackles in the second half of the 1st.  

Happy to take one of them and add a pick or two in the top 100.

Not a bad option if a guy you just "have to get" isn't there. The Hopkins trade means that the Cardinals will take an OT now, so the trade back may come into play.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Not a bad option if a guy you just "have to get" isn't there. The Hopkins trade means that the Cardinals will take an OT now, so the trade back may come into play.

Didn't they just extend Humphries for $15M a year?  Perhaps looking for a right tackle?

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Which option would you choose at LT in the draft?

I don't know about Josh Jones, but I'd trade down. 

And I'd trade down at least once in the 3rd as well, ideally to get some extra capital this year and next, even if it's just mid rounders.

• Upvote 2

I'm not certain the cards don't go after lamb since he used to play with their qb. If there is already chemistry them might be willing to take the reach to further increase the capacity for the air raid system they are trying to use.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

There is really no simple answer here. The best LT on the board at 11 could be Wills (who I absolutely LOVE) or it could be Jones (with the top 4 gone). If its Jones then trading down and taking Jones will not be an option b/c he will be gone.

So, trading down sounds great but you risk missing out on a top tier prospect. Also, trading down is not easy, its not always possible unless you are willing to give up more value than you are getting back. 

I'm not trading for T.Williams simply b/c he wants a massive new contract and I'm not on board with that considering the medical risk, age and potential for the Jets to draft a Franchise LT right now.  

Fant was signed to a sizeable deal so you would have to assume he starts. But he has very little experience at LT and in a way is still developing certain aspects of his game. He will most likely start at RT and Edoga will compete with him.

Personally, I think if the Jets REALLY like Jones (as some have said b/c of his athleticism) then just take him at 11 and be done with it. If they are confident there will be an OT in Rd. 2, fine, take a WR or look for a trade partner. 

But if I was the GM, I would SERIOUSLY consider moving up a few spots to solidify one of the top 3 OTs (Thomas, Wirfs or Wills), who are all plug and play LTs, all of who I love as prospects, all of who should fill that massive hole at OT.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Question about Trent Williams.  Suppose they trade for Williams and re-sign him for $20M a year.  Won't that cripple them next year from signing some players on one year deals that perform well creating more holes in the team? 

Just resign Beachum already 

it’s looking like one of the top 4 isn’t falling to 11

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, PepPep said:

There is really no simple answer here. The best LT on the board at 11 could be Wills (who I absolutely LOVE) or it could be Jones (with the top 4 gone). If its Jones then trading down and taking Jones will not be an option b/c he will be gone.

So, trading down sounds great but you risk missing out on a top tier prospect. Also, trading down is not easy, its not always possible unless you are willing to give up more value than you are getting back. 

I'm not trading for T.Williams simply b/c he wants a massive new contract and I'm not on board with that considering the medical risk, age and potential for the Jets to draft a Franchise LT right now.  

Fant was signed to a sizeable deal so you would have to assume he starts. But he has very little experience at LT and in a way is still developing certain aspects of his game. He will most likely start at RT and Edoga will compete with him.

Personally, I think if the Jets REALLY like Jones (as some have said b/c of his athleticism) then just take him at 11 and be done with it. If they are confident there will be an OT in Rd. 2, fine, take a WR or look for a trade partner. 

But if I was the GM, I would SERIOUSLY consider moving up a few spots to solidify one of the top 3 OTs (Thomas, Wirfs or Wills), who are all plug and play LTs, all of who I love as prospects, all of who should fill that massive hole at OT.  

Tell this to the Bears, Rams and Jags to name a few! Yikes.... they'll be paying for those reaches for a few seasons!

20 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Agree.  If Wills is there you take him, likewise with Wirfs, though less likely he will fall that far.

Agree with not trading for Williams.  Trading for Williams and handing him a massive contract may lead to them not being able to sign some of their own in the future.

Just curious, where does the idea that Josh Jones has the athleticism the Jets are looking for?  He tested as slightly above average at the combine.

Fant is starting at LT, unless something unexpected happens.

The Jets hand-picked this guy from the available options to be their LT, and gave him starter money.

The Jets might well pick at OT at 11 if one they love is there. But then that player will play at RT, at least initially.

I'm now feeling either a WR, a pass-rusher or a trade down as the most likely options - I don't think the Jets pick at OT at 11, but they might pick a Jones or a Cleveland after a trade down.

• Upvote 3

Nice poll but a rather difficult one. My preference Would be to trade for Williams but not to an exorbitant contract that might hand cuff us in the future and also take one of the offensive linemen if they fall to 11. That way you have a legit left tackle, a tackle that you can start on the right tackle position and groom to be his replacement. If tackle doesn’t fall to us you still have Fant to man the right side. Also since you have your left tackle then you can either trade down from 11 or grab receiver at 11. Lots of options if Williams does come on board 

They'll take an OT at eleven if it's one they wanted. 

If they trade down and Jones isn't there. They could still go tackle, if athletic tackles like Ezra Cleveland or Austin Jackson  are available, and considered suitable for the wide splits zone blocking system they want to implement.  Or else Ruggs, Jefferson, etc.

I hope a trade down happens, and Jets add another pick or two.  To help stock this roster with as much talent as possible. 

• Upvote 1