Jets sign backup QB David Fales

13 hours ago, Young Jetty said:

David Fails

Who cares really. If you lose your starting QB your screwed in the NFL anyway. Team isn't good enough for a back up QB to take them anywhere like Foles. Lose your QB your better off getting a high pick the next year. 

Once JD has an above average team then you get a more expensive backup.

• Upvote 2

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Who cares really. If you lose your starting QB your screwed in the NFL anyway. Team isn't good enough for a back up QB to take them anywhere like Foles. Lose your QB your better off getting a high pick the next year. 

The Saints went 5-0 with Bridgewater. However, the Saints goal is to actually win games.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Saints went 5-0 with Bridgewater. However, the Saints goal is to actually win games.

He actually went 5-1. Saints were Super Bowl contenders. Jets currently are not. 

• Upvote 1

bortles and manziel were in the same draft as fales.  want them?  imo let's not read too much into this. he's a back up.  darnold seems to be pretty durable so there's little chance he's going to be knocked out of a whole game or even the season.  and the couple of games fales did get in with the doltfins weren't terrible.

14 minutes ago, Jetster said:

He actually went 5-1. Saints were Super Bowl contenders. Jets currently are not. 

If the Jets had even an average QB on the team last yr when Darnold was out we would be in the playoffs.

When Foles went down, Minshew lead his team to wins.

When Cam went down, Kyle Allen had the Panthers playing real well before he got injured.

Outside of the great coaching, the back up QBs almost took the Steelers to the playoffs.

We need a back up like Fitzpatrick not Fales. Darnold has yet to play a full season, and hopefully this is the one he does. However, if he goes down again we can pencil David Fales in for 3-5 games. Regardless of how many OL we draft, I’m not going into a game optimistic with him behind center.

Just my opinion.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, rangerous said:

bortles and manziel were in the same draft as fales.  want them?  imo let's not read too much into this. he's a back up.  darnold seems to be pretty durable so there's little chance he's going to be knocked out of a whole game or even the season.  and the couple of games fales did get in with the doltfins weren't terrible.

Durable?  Totally missed that part. 

15 hours ago, y2k8 said:

I would have liked to see them sign a veteran to help Sam's development.   

He's in Year 3.  That ship has sailed.  Sink or swim time, Sam.  

Anyone who thought we'd bring in an expensive backup were always going to be sadly mistaken.  I called this kind of thing months ago. 

There's still a chance we bring back Siemian or sign someone like Matt Moore but the quality of the backup goes no higher than that level.  Nor should it.  We're not a team contending for a SB and we're not a team looking for a QB 1b to compete for the starting job.  You don't spend heavily on a backup QB unless you're in one of those 2 camps.  

• Upvote 1

I think it's safe to say, Adam Gase gives zero ****s about a back up Qb and views losing your starter as a kiss of death and might as well just wave the white flag.

I love Darnold but he's yet to play a full season, get a real back up that can actually hold the fort.  

This is bizarre. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, SR24 said:

What a roller coaster of emotion reading that Schefter tweet about Fales. Breaking news that starts with “Jets sign” and ends with “He played for Adam Gase and Dowell Loggains in Chicago and Miami” goes from exciting to a kick in the sack real quick. 

Did you think the tweet would end with Jay Cutler?  lol.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Does anyone think that Fales can win games if Darnold goes down!

This is a joke!

If Darnold goes down the goal becomes losing games.  We're not contending for a division title this year, so what does the season matter anymore at that point?  Does anyone here think Joe Flacco would put us over the top over New England and Buffalo?

Beating Pittsburgh and Buffalo last season may well cost us the chance to draft a franchise LT.  This franchise never seems to learn.

• Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Anyone who thought we'd bring in an expensive backup were always going to be sadly mistaken.  I called this kind of thing months ago. 

It’s not apples to apples, but I wonder if someone like Matt Moore is waiting to see where Jameis and Cam go before signing anywhere. It’s musical chairs for backup QBs, so these veteran guys are on hold until the seats start filling up.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s not apples to apples, but I wonder if someone like Matt Moore is waiting to see where Jameis and Cam go before signing anywhere. It’s musical chairs for backup QBs, so these veteran guys are on hold until the seats start filling up.

And the seats won't fill up anytime soon.  Not with the draft in 22 days and total uncertainty on if there will even be a 2020 season after that.  

People freaking out over this are silly.  Thought Matt is making a good point on the agents connection.  

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And the seats won't fill up anytime soon.  Not with the draft in 22 days and total uncertainty on if there will even be a 2020 season after that.  

People freaking out over this are silly.  Thought Matt is making a good point on the agents connection.  

Matt always makes good points. I’m fine with them giving the #3 job to a connected veteran bubby for Darnokd, but I think what they do with the #2 will tell us a lot about where Douglas and Gase thinks the team is headed and how nervous Gase is about losing his job. I can’t conceive of any way that he suffered through a month of Luke Falk and wants to put himself back in that spot again.

• Upvote 1

Wasn't Fales our #2 QB for the entire 2nd half when we were so "hot?"  I get wanting an upgrade, but considering he is basically free, and you want a guy (#3, practice squad, guy who will be home waiting for the call) to know the offense that you can bring up if your #2 goes down, I don't see the heartburn.  Having the same agent is probably a bonus.  Yes, it is probably nepotism, but like bringing in Mosley's brother, or Kacy Rodgers kid,  I don't care about having them in camp.  If they are being kept on roster over superior problems we will have some problems. 

I think given the roster and the schedule, JD is figuring that he would rather save the money, and if Sam went down there chances of winning go so far down that they are better off with the money and draft pick.  

for as bad as the Jets were in 2019, they may have sniffed the playoffs with a better back up qb.  Maybe that is the issue.  Only sniff.  Siemian was paid and decently respected.  

My only concern is that JD appears to be prioritizing how much money he does not spend rather than building a winning roster.   It seems like they are conceding 2020 and focusing on 2021.  What drives that is probably the schedule more than anything else.  How do you play the AFC and NFC West’s in the same year?

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

My only concern is that JD appears to be prioritizing how much money he does not spend rather than building a winning roster.   

Still several FA's we can go after after the draft.  I wouldn't be hasty in making that determination. 

With the 2020 season up in the air, teams have done a full stop on major FA signings for the time being.  That's the biggest reason why the likes of Clowney, Everson Griffen, Logan Ryan, etc haven't been signed yet.  Why give a player a bunch of guaranteed money ahead of a season that might not happen?

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If Darnold goes down the goal becomes losing games.  We're not contending for a division title this year, so what does the season matter anymore at that point?  Does anyone here think Joe Flacco would put us over the top over New England and Buffalo?

Beating Pittsburgh and Buffalo last season may well cost us the chance to draft a franchise LT.  This franchise never seems to learn.

I dont think the division is out of question even though it's not exactly a likely scenario.  I'm sorry, I just think Buffalo is fools gold.  The only team they beat with a winning record last year was the Titans with Mariota starting.  New England only beat Buffalo and just lost the all time greatest cheater and Miami is in wait and see mode.  Darnold went 7-6 when healthy and the offense was atrocious.  If the offense moves to middle of the pack, I think its safe to assume the Jets win more games.

Besides, it's not just about the division when you have one of the longest playoffs droughts in the NFL.  Making a wildcard game would do a ton for this team and the confidence of Sam Darnold.  The Titans hit lightning in the bottle and went to the AFC Champ game at 9-7.  It's not about putting anyone over the top, it's about holding the fort.  The past few years have shown you anything, it's how important a back up Qb is in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets didn’t like Geno, so bringing in Fitz was needed. The Jets like Darnold, Darnold has influence through his agent...so in the event Darnold struggled/got hurt there’s nothing in the way. Unless of course the Jets actually do bring in a real backup, but this looks like unearned favoritism at the moment.

15 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Does anyone think that Fales can win games if Darnold goes down!

This is a joke!

Hey man, you never know - as it's all about fluke luck for backups. He's a 6th round pick. As was Brady and I'm sure N.E fans didn't think Brady (6th round) could win games if Bledsoe went down too!

Sometimes it's better, much better to have a younger backup QB who has not yet developed any bad NFL habits yet while learning your system from the sidelines and waiting for an opportunity...

Rather than career losing journeyman backups such as Fitzpatrick/McCown who can not overcome their bad habits of losing way (stuck in their own ways). 

David Fales is only 29 years of age and has only 1 game with over 5 passing attempts. He did very good.

12/31/2017: With Miami Dolphins vs. Buffalo he went 29/42 (69.0%), 265 passing yards, 1 passing TD/1 rushing TD/1 INT with a QB Rating of 83.9 (only 1 sack taken).

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets didn’t like Geno, so bringing in Fitz was needed. The Jets like Darnold, Darnold has influence through his agent...so in the event Darnold struggled/got hurt there’s nothing in the way. Unless of course the Jets actually do bring in a real backup, but this looks like unearned favoritism at the moment.

That’s the apocalypse-case scenario, but I can’t see why Gase and Douglas would buy into it to prop up Darnold. If Darnold implodes this year and we go 3-13, Gase isn’t surviving and Douglas will have kneecapped himself.

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s the apocalypse-case scenario, but I can’t see why Gase and Douglas would buy into it to prop up Darnold. If Darnold implodes this year and we go 3-13, Gase isn’t surviving and Douglas will have kneecapped himself.

I’m operating under the assumption that Gase knows this is his last shot at a HC salary. Latch onto the QB who is running the show, same agent, and ride it out. If he gets hurt, there’s no expectations, as the fanbase and owner is already head over heels for Darnold anyways. 

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

This is totally incorrect.

The league is littered with  stories of starters getting hurt an a backup keeping a team afloat if not better.

If you starter misses 3 or 4 games is the season over?  It sure shouldn;t be.

Most important position the game of football and teams won;t put any resources into the backup.

I see the Jets signing another Qb maybe even Trevor Siemian. Someone with NFL starts and some success. They aren't going with just two guys and Fales will probably be no. 3.  As for someone like Khalil Tate if they could get him high up in the draft it's worth a shot and use him as an option Qb on certain downs

. That was the plan for Tim Tebow years ago but it didn't work. It did work in NO with Hill.