Just a question

A question to all you draft gurus :

Tristan Wirfs (Iowa), Jedrick Willis Jr. (Alabama), Andrew Thomas (Georgia) and Becton  were projected to be selected in the first 10-15 picks of the first round. With the latest news coming about Becton, are we on the road outside looking in in regards to drafting an OT?

• Upvote 1

I'm no draft guru but I would definitely expect Becton to fall to the bottom of the 1st round (if not even later than that).  I think teams are afraid of making an investment in a player that could get suspended (and, thus, the team would get little to no ROI).

Probably, look what happened to tunsil that year he was drafted. Sure their were pictures. But I just think if you’re that stupid to have some drug in you when you know you’ll be tested and the combine is legit where you need to show out to make millions. It makes you question someone’s determination and grit.

• Upvote 3

Was listening to Joe and Evan interview a couple of "draft gurus" on WFAN and I remember at least one said that he didn't think teams would care about Becton's failed test.  Apparently Becton never failed one during his years in school and teams might dismiss this one as a one time thing.  The guy said he thinks Becton might make sense for the Browns (1 pick ahead of us of course) because he fits into their scheme.  Apparently Becton is incredibly athletic.  The guru said he spoke to Becton to see if he can still play basketball and Becton said he can still stand under the rim then jump and do a 2 handed reverse dunk (and he's a gigantic guy).  The guru seemed to say that while Becton wasn't asked to pass block that much at Louisville, he was flawless when he did do it.  He pancaked guys.

I'm at the point now where I would love Becton to be our pick.  

• Upvote 1

This is bad news. Almost solidifies us drafting Lamb or Jeudy. I do not want that. In a perfect scenario we trade down to 16 with Atlanta, take T Josh Jones there and take Becton with our first 2nd round pick. There's our starters at L and R T.

5 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Josh Jones should be in consideration for 11 regardless of Becton.

He’s a better pure pass blocker than Wirfs and Becton. 

Not saying I love him at 11, there are players at I’d like more, but the greed of “well we could trade down a few and take him” is obtuse to me.

If you think he’s a future LT, then who cares if you took him 5-10 picks too early. 

I don't think it's only the trade down, it's also what else you would get from the trade.  Perhaps an extra or better pick for selecting the same player.  Imagine the Jets sitting at 11 with 1 WR, Wills and Jones on the board.  The Jets are ok with both Wills and Jones but receive a call from the 49ers saying they want that last wide receiver before the Raiders.  Dropping down two spots with them selecting a WR will guarantee both tackles still being there two picks later.  So the 49ers are willing to send 13 and 31 for 11 and 48.  The Jets could get the same player they would select at 11 at 13 but move from 48 to 31.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TNJet said:

This is bad news. Almost solidifies us drafting Lamb or Jeudy. I do not want that. In a perfect scenario we trade down to 16 with Atlanta, take T Josh Jones there and take Becton with our first 2nd round pick. There's our starters at L and R T.

Nah,

Fant at LT, Edoga at RT... what could go wrong?

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Probably a midround tumble but someone will take him in the first. Might pay off to trade down with a team like the falcons and take the chance becton falls to 16.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Take a chance and there's the possibility of no elite tackles left when we pick.  Stuck with Edoga playing RT and Sam will get pulverized. If he's the last of the 4 left, I'm taking him at 11. 

I've already made a couple of posts concerning the impact Becton's failed drug test will have on Jets at pick #11. 

IMO not likely that a Thomas-Wills-Wirfs gonna be there at #11.  They'll be gobbled up.  And Becton will fall into mid-late 1st round at best.  JD values character, discipline and smarts.  And wont draft him.

So it's WR or a tradedown.  Less likely a trade-up for one of those 3 tackles.  

Maybe JD signs Peters or does a draft day trade for Trent Williams.  

10 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

I've already made a couple of posts concerning the impact Becton's failed drug test will have on Jets at pick #11. 

IMO not likely that a Thomas-Wills-Wirfs gonna be there at #11.  They'll be gobbled up.  And Becton will fall into mid-late 1st round at best.  JD values character, discipline and smarts.  And wont draft him.

So it's WR or a tradedown.  Less likely a trade-up for one of those 3 tackles.  

Maybe JD signs Peters or does a draft day trade for Trent Williams.  

I thought JD valued production.  

I imagine more OTs will be available at 11 than most around here would think. I’m on record saying Thomas gets drafted in front of us, but that’s it.  In fact, I think we will trade down and still get a top-4 OT. 

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm no draft guru but I would definitely expect Becton to fall to the bottom of the 1st round (if not even later than that).  I think teams are afraid of making an investment in a player that could get suspended (and, thus, the team would get little to no ROI).

Not a chance. 

Laremy Tunsil was drafted 13th despite a video of him released on draft night of him smoking weed (kids will be kids)

nysz89mp3zbuigo8jouc.0.thumb.jpg.90affc221f1ae4af90c7b091e0cfb410.jpg

And still went right outside of the top 10 (13th) and now a 2019 pro bowler. 

He was never going too 10 to begin with so him getting busted doesn't hurt the Jets whatsoever. 

6 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I believe the plan is to drop down into the late teens/early twenties and take Jones or one of the big four if they drop.

Doing so should add a second allowing JD to grab multiple receivers, a running back, and another lineman by the end of the third round. 

I really do believe this is the plan as well. Josh jones is no slouch and is actually the LT with the most starting experience out of all of them. he had a great Senior bowl as well and I would bet that Phil Savage is talking him up quite a bit. The only problem I see is that we can't be the only one's on that tip. 

If we can trade back to 15-17 we would grab a 3rd rd pick most likely. Further back than that it could be a 2nd rdr.  They could both be put to very good use in this draft. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

I thought JD valued production.  

I imagine more OTs will be available at 11 than most around here would think. I’m in record saying Thomas gets drafted in front of us, but that’s it. 

Sure talent-production is a given.  But not any any cost.  JD isn't going to take someone at pick #11, who fails a drug test just before the draft.  And is put on a 60 day watch list.    

We'll see if any of the other 3 tackles makes it to #11.  I'm not holding my breath on this happening.    

7 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

Sure talent-production is a given.  But not any any cost.  JD isn't going to take someone at pick #11, who fails a drug test just before the draft.  And is put on a 60 day watch list.    

We'll see if any of the other 3 tackles makes it to #11.  I'm not holding my breath on this happening.    

There’s literally zero precedent for who Joe Douglas, as GM, will draft. 

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's hard for players to be suspended. If they have multiple failed test it comes a point they play for free due to the fines.

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

8 hours ago, usanyj said:

Probably, look what happened to tunsil that year he was drafted. Sure their were pictures. But I just think if you’re that stupid to have some drug in you when you know you’ll be tested and the combine is legit where you need to show out to make millions. It makes you question someone’s determination and grit.

The rules are now completely different under the new cba. Basically, he's on 60 day probation. The risk reward is completely different and I doubt he falls very far

12 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Josh Jones should be in consideration for 11 regardless of Becton.

He’s a better pure pass blocker than Wirfs and Becton. 

Not saying I love him at 11, there are players I’d like more, but the greed of “well we could trade down a few and take him” is obtuse to me.

If you think he’s a future LT, then who cares if you took him 5-10 picks too early. 

I agree. Don't get cute with your LT. It's too important a position (especially when Fant/Edoga are your current Tackles).

I'd be very happy with Josh Jones at #11.

• Upvote 3

Take a chance and there's the possibility of no elite tackles left when we pick.  Stuck with Edoga playing RT and Sam will get pulverized. If he's the last of the 4 left, I'm taking him at 11. 
One of the "top 4" will be there at 16 most likely Becton you can book me as saying it. Once the first wr gets drafted teams will scramble to grab one and they will scramble on QBs. I have 100 percent confidence that we could trade down with the falcons and land a good offensive line prospect. Keep in mind we were not going to get one of the top two guys anyway.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TNJet said:

I think Thomas falls to us a good chance. With Becton screwing up I'd say Wills and Wirfs are gone via Giants and Browns. We are left with Thomas. My preference anyway.

I'd love Thomas but now I think he will be the first one off the board. He is the safest pick of the 4 top lineman... and I'm fine with Josh Jones.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Marino and Sapp both had drug allegations during their draft and we passed on both . Both are hall of famers . Have we learned anything boys and girls ?

Even Peter Pan had drug allegations. What do you think that stardust was anyways.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

One of the "top 4" will be there at 16 most likely Becton you can book me as saying it. Once the first wr gets drafted teams will scramble to grab one and they will scramble on QBs. I have 100 percent confidence that we could trade down with the falcons and land a good offensive line prospect. Keep in mind we were not going to get one of the top two guys anyway.

First, if one of the 4 are there, you take him. Period. If they all gone, JD would have to be 100% certain a team behind them doesn't trade up ahead of us and take Jones.  At that point, Jones would be a commodity and some teams in need of a T might be tempted to trade up ahead of us. Just too risky.

First, if one of the 4 are there, you take him. Period. If they all gone, JD would have to be 100% certain a team behind them doesn't trade up ahead of us and take Jones.  At that point, Jones would be a commodity and some teams in need of a T might be tempted to trade up ahead of us. Just too risky.
When you have as many holes and as many needs as we have there is no risk. If we miss the tackles and end up having to take the best center instead that is still a big win on our offensive line. If we have to grab a decent reciever or corner or edge still a win. There is literally no risk in taking the shot of one of those tackles falling 5 or 6 picks because a worst case is we draft a different position which we desperately need

8 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

When you have as many holes and as many needs as we have there is no risk. If we miss the tackles and end up having to take the best center instead that is still a big win on our offensive line. If we have to grab a decent reciever or corner or edge still a win. There is literally no risk in taking the shot of one of those tackles falling 5 or 6 picks because a worst case is we draft a different position which we desperately need

You dont pass on a T. Period. We need a T. and we can get an elite one to cover the position for numerous years cheap.  If you wait until later in the draft, even round 2, your are dealing with a project rather than a T in round 1 that can step right in and play at a high level. The'yd be forced to go with Egoda who SUCKS and will get Sam hurt....and it'll be on your head.

We have so little information on this.  He was 'flagged' but we don't know what drug.  The NFL just relaxed the rules on pot so I'm not sure if that would even have been what they flagged.  Was it PEDs?  Something else?  Without that data, it's impossible to conjecture how teams will respond.  But what we do know is he never flagged a test during college and it doesn't change his potential as a player.  I think it's far from sure that many or any teams even move him down just from this but again, we just don't know what they know.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Teams that badly need an OT:

Giants (4)

Chargers (6)

Cardinals (8)

Jags (9)

Browns (10)

Jets (11)

Bucs (14)

Broncos (15)

The odds that the 4 top guys are all there at 16 are low