Jets pick up 5th year option on Adams

In the same vein 200,000 people are dead from COVID right now and your on the internet complaining about Jamal Adam - How dare you in this outrage culture

Obviously not serious I don’t really care and yes I acknowledge the tone deafness in jamals timing.

We had a draft while COVID is happening, how dare someone care about business. Denzel Mims was pissed he fell to 59, How dare he care right now. Trent Williams was still pouting, how dare he in these times. That’s life, it marches on in all it’s big and petty. Not my job to sort it all out

Ok but for all the things people want to call Jamal in the positive direction, leader cannot be one of them.

He’s as me-first as it gets.
  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

lW31qU_D_x96.jpeg&key=38ba3f1e6237cb642888addd4309bfc7075a93cb514e63699d593676c02d7bad   Rich Cimini   @RichCimini · 25m   GM Joe Douglas confirms the obvious: The #Jets are exercising Jamal Adams' fifth-year option. Says they will meet soon with Adams and reps to begin talks on potential new deal. (via @TMKSESPN )

2 months later...

“The two sides are far apart on a deal at the moment. They will re-visit an extension next offseason.”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2 months later...

“The two sides are far apart on a deal at the moment. They will re-visit an extension next offseason.”

Actually, this is roughly five months since Jamal said they were already talking about his extension.

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Mothers Day Lol GIF by reactionseditor

Sean Taylor - played 4 years.8 FF.  He's the only player you could even think of naming as being a top 5 player on a team.  Sandy Koufax being another. Even Bo Jackson isn't mentioned as an all time great Raider.

2007 Washington Redskins 9 42 32 10 0.0 -- 9 5 0 98 19.6 48

2006 Washington Redskins 16 111 86 25 0.0 -- 6 1 0 25 25.0 25

2005 Washington Redskins 15 70 60 10 1.0 0 10 2 0 34 17.0 32

2004 Washington Redskins 15 76 60 16 1.0 -- 9 4 0 85 21.2 45

TOTAL 55 299 238 61 2.0 0 34 12 0 242 -- 48

Jamal has played 3 years and has an astounding 2 INT's.  

imageproxy.gif

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

NFL players situations are in no way relatable to regular "jobs".  Comparing a normal work situation to a professional athlete and his contract with a sports franchise is silly, there is no relation whatsoever

Also this move neither means the Jets are more or less likely to trade Jamal. Not picking up the option would be news not doing it.

Also signing Adams or trading him is not a binary decision (there are 3 options). It all comes down to perception of value. If Adams insists on $22 million a year then he is likely to be traded or play out his contract as is. If the Jets are willing to make him the highest paid safety (uncertain) and Adams will accept a contract  a little north of $15 million then a contract gets done eventually.

Got to disagree with your view on NFL contracts.

Under the new CBA, just like in the real world, there will be SEVERE penalities for holding out.  Think "holding out" while under contract, is now a thing of the past.

If Adams is willing to accept a fair contract $13-15M I agree, things will get worked out.  I don't think he will.  About a month ago some scribe tweeted that Adams should get a 5 year $100M contract with $65M gnt.  Adams tweed back that he was close but not there yet.  LOL

If Adams wants to play out his contract, he'll  be a Jet for 3 more years.  Final year will be a $11M franchise tag.  Not much value in a SS.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Shocking that they would pick up the 5th year option on the 4th or 5th best defensive player in franchise history

Klecko, Revis, Gastineau, Larry Grantham, and Adams are the top 5 in some order or another, if you want to put Gerry Philben in there, ok, that's cool

What, no Kerry Rhodes?

29 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Got to disagree with your view on NFL contracts.

Under the new CBA, just like in the real world, there will be SEVERE penalities for holding out.  Think "holding out" while under contract, is now a thing of the past.

If Adams is willing to accept a fair contract $13-15M I agree, things will get worked out.  I don't think he will.  About a month ago some scribe tweeted that Adams should get a 5 year $100M contract with $65M gnt.  Adams tweed back that he was close but not there yet.  LOL

If Adams wants to play out his contract, he'll  be a Jet for 3 more years.  Final year will be a $11M franchise tag.  Not much value in a SS.

I guess I wasnt clear in my posts. Making him play out his contract is Option 3 and looks like maybe the one the Jets will go with

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Find one well documented temper tantrum he had over not getting traded to Dallas.

You know, without making up total nonsense.  Like pretty much every Jamal obsessed post you throw up as fact

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And even though that's not how he said it, that's not a temper tantrum for not being tradedd

Heavy.com.  

Yeah, well documented.  That he said if I'm traded that's a team I would love to go to because I was born and raised there.

LOl, a temper tantrum for not being traded.  So weak, how many times can that video be misconstrued.

This isn't a temper tantrum?

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets safety Jamal Adams doubled down on his Twitter attack on general manager Joe Douglas, saying Wednesday he's still fuming that Douglas dangled him in trade talks.

Adams said he's so miffed that he declined Douglas' offer to discuss the matter, adding he needs time to cool off before meeting with the GM. He considers himself an untouchable and was "shocked" when he heard the Jets had engaged in talks with the Dallas Cowboys.

"When my agent called me and told me what was going on, it definitely hurt me," Adams said. "I hold myself as a high level. The Rams don't take calls on Aaron Donald, the Patriots don't take calls on Tom Brady, you know what I mean? That's where I hold myself in that regard."

Adams added, "I thought I was that guy for them. I didn't see them even having talks about it, after I told them I wanted to be here.

The Adams-Douglas situation blew up late Tuesday, after the trade deadline, when Adams tweeted that Douglas "went behind my back" and shopped him to teams only a few days after he told the GM that he wanted to remain in New York. Douglas acknowledged that he spoke to the Cowboys, but he insisted he didn't initiate the conversation and never "shopped" Adams, whom he praised effusively. Douglas called it a "simple miscommunication" with Adams.

The Pro Bowl safety didn't take it that way, and he vented in a 14-minute session with reporters. He said he was "on the verge of being traded to the Cowboys," who offered a first-round pick. The Jets reportedly also wanted a pair of second-round picks.

"For three years, I've done nothing but work my butt off, continue to improve, be a great leader for the team, be a great teammate," Adams said. "When you see certain things like that and you hear about it and you get calls, you're in shock a little bit, right.

"But at the end of the day, it's a business. I get it, I understand it. But that's how I look at myself. I hold myself in a high regard. Obviously, they didn't feel that way."

Adams, who is signed through 2020 and has a team option for 2021, said he doesn't know whether he has a long-term future with the Jets.

He expressed mixed messages. He said he's "excited" to be with the Jets, but he also said he would have welcomed a trade to the Cowboys, his hometown team. He admitted telling friend and ESPN analyst Ryan Clark that he wanted to be dealt to Dallas.

It will be interesting to see how coach Adam Gase handles Adams, who might have defied an edict by speaking publicly.

In the morning team meeting, Gase instructed the players to block out the outside noise and focus on the Miami Dolphins, this week's opponent. In his news conference, Gase refused to answer questions pertaining to Adams or any trade-deadline fallout. He said that would be "handled internally," later saying he expects Adams to be "focused on Miami."

A few hours later, Adams vented his frustration in the middle of the locker room, even saying that he refused Douglas' invitation to clear the air.

"I'm not ready to talk," he said. "That's where I'm at with it. When you go through something, sometimes it's best to let everything cool down."

Adams said he plans to speak with Douglas in the future.

"I'm not going to sit here and say it didn't hurt me. It did," he said of the trade talks. "But I'm excited to be here."

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

How about when Adams refused to speak to his HC and GM and went directly to the teams owner?

That's like an employee refusing to speak to his direct supervisor and the department manager and then goes over their heads to the CEO because he was unhappy that management talked about transferring him to another department.

That'll get your ass fired in the real world. Since the Jets can't fire him they can make him play out his contract and franchise him. In essence making him play his ass off so he doesn't lose value when he hits the open market in three years.

When he said he didn’t want to talk to JD until he cooled down?  He had to talk to the HC.  GM, he wisely waited.  
it’s not the real world.  You don’t have a 25 million dollar contract and a union that loves to sue behind you

3 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

And get paid twice as much for the value he provides.

This is a tired old argument.  Start by not knowing his value and to make him seem like a pig make believe you have a clue to what it will take to sign him.  
As if the team has no choice.  

Deal in facts not fantasy 

3 hours ago, GaryM said:

This isn't a temper tantrum?

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets safety Jamal Adams doubled down on his Twitter attack on general manager Joe Douglas, saying Wednesday he's still fuming that Douglas dangled him in trade talks.

Adams said he's so miffed that he declined Douglas' offer to discuss the matter, adding he needs time to cool off before meeting with the GM. He considers himself an untouchable and was "shocked" when he heard the Jets had engaged in talks with the Dallas Cowboys.

"When my agent called me and told me what was going on, it definitely hurt me," Adams said. "I hold myself as a high level. The Rams don't take calls on Aaron Donald, the Patriots don't take calls on Tom Brady, you know what I mean? That's where I hold myself in that regard."

Adams added, "I thought I was that guy for them. I didn't see them even having talks about it, after I told them I wanted to be here.

The Adams-Douglas situation blew up late Tuesday, after the trade deadline, when Adams tweeted that Douglas "went behind my back" and shopped him to teams only a few days after he told the GM that he wanted to remain in New York. Douglas acknowledged that he spoke to the Cowboys, but he insisted he didn't initiate the conversation and never "shopped" Adams, whom he praised effusively. Douglas called it a "simple miscommunication" with Adams.

The Pro Bowl safety didn't take it that way, and he vented in a 14-minute session with reporters. He said he was "on the verge of being traded to the Cowboys," who offered a first-round pick. The Jets reportedly also wanted a pair of second-round picks.

"For three years, I've done nothing but work my butt off, continue to improve, be a great leader for the team, be a great teammate," Adams said. "When you see certain things like that and you hear about it and you get calls, you're in shock a little bit, right.

"But at the end of the day, it's a business. I get it, I understand it. But that's how I look at myself. I hold myself in a high regard. Obviously, they didn't feel that way."

Adams, who is signed through 2020 and has a team option for 2021, said he doesn't know whether he has a long-term future with the Jets.

He expressed mixed messages. He said he's "excited" to be with the Jets, but he also said he would have welcomed a trade to the Cowboys, his hometown team. He admitted telling friend and ESPN analyst Ryan Clark that he wanted to be dealt to Dallas.

It will be interesting to see how coach Adam Gase handles Adams, who might have defied an edict by speaking publicly.

In the morning team meeting, Gase instructed the players to block out the outside noise and focus on the Miami Dolphins, this week's opponent. In his news conference, Gase refused to answer questions pertaining to Adams or any trade-deadline fallout. He said that would be "handled internally," later saying he expects Adams to be "focused on Miami."

A few hours later, Adams vented his frustration in the middle of the locker room, even saying that he refused Douglas' invitation to clear the air.

"I'm not ready to talk," he said. "That's where I'm at with it. When you go through something, sometimes it's best to let everything cool down."

Adams said he plans to speak with Douglas in the future.

"I'm not going to sit here and say it didn't hurt me. It did," he said of the trade talks. "But I'm excited to be here."

None of this answers the question.  He hasn’t taken a tantrum wanting a trade.  

When told Dallas was talking trade, he was annoyed and said that if traded that was a team he’d like to play for, grew up in Dallas a fan.  Ouch.  Kill him.  
Not him saying trade me to Dallas out of nowhere.  

Well drag this dead horse on and on while shipping over:

Jamal Adams Says He Wants to Be a 'Jet for Life'Despite PriorTrade Rumors

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

When he said he didn’t want to talk to JD until he cooled down?  He had to talk to the HC.  GM, he wisely waited.  
it’s not the real world.  You don’t have a 25 million dollar contract and a union that loves to sue behind you

But he didn't have to go to the owner and make it public that he wasn't going to talk to his HC or GM, even after the GM wanted to meet with him. That is the problem with fans perception of him. He talks like he is the leader of the Jets publicly, then he dissed the GM and HC publicly, while running to the owner. If CJ allows himself to be played by overpaying Adams, at the expense of the team, it will not be seen by most fans in a good light.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, GaryM said:

But he didn't have to go to the owner and make it public that he wasn't going to talk to his HC or GM, even after the GM wanted to meet with him. That is the problem with fans perception of him. He talks like he is the leader of the Jets publicly, then he dissed the GM and HC publicly, while running to the owner. If CJ allows himself to be played by overpaying Adams, at the expense of the team, it will not be seen by most fans in a good light.

Why not?  Because you know their relationship?  He couldn't just tell CJ he doesn't want to hear about his trade scenarios because?  The Jets let it be known and then he has to shut up.  And if he comments you get pissed?  

He said he'd wait to talk to JD.  And then he reached out. Smart don't say something you'll regret.  A clear tantrum.  

He dissed no one, pure nonsense.  He's popular with all the players, coaches, owner.  Stop stroking the flames.  This has been beaten to death.  The video wasn't enough, Adams own words.  We needed editorial content added.

And of course, let's ignore:  

Jamal Adams Says He Wants to Be a 'Jet for Life'Despite PriorTrade Rumors

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

This is a tired old argument.  Start by not knowing his value and to make him seem like a pig make believe you have a clue to what it will take to sign him.  
As if the team has no choice.  

Deal in facts not fantasy 

Fact - a box safety is not worth 5 yrs, 90 million, 55 million guaranteed.

Fact - JD has a choice - sign him for what he considers fair value *or* let him play out his contract

Fact - Jets/JD controls Adams for three years (4th, 5th option - picked up, franchise)

Fact  - Jets hold all the cards and want to keep Adams under a reasonable contract for a BOX SAFETY

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

He 'wisely waited', please, if Adams had an once of wisdom he would have keep his mouth shut and his twitter nonsense to himself.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jets fans are not the reason players don't come here.  Bad management is.  

The Revis trade actually worked out well.  We got Sheldon Richardson out of the deal.  Revis was well on the downside of his career by then and coming off a significant injury.  It was the right move.  Him winning a title with the Pats doesn't negate that.  

Sheldon Richardson for Revis is a good move? On what planet? An average dlineman for a future hall of fame corner back that took away a number #1 receivers is a good move? Absolutely not! Revis should of been resigned. You don't trade away players like that. That's how you end up where we've been since 2011 

3 minutes ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

Sheldon Richardson for Revis is a good move? On what planet? An average dlineman for a future hall of fame corner back that took away a number #1 receivers is a good move? Absolutely not! Revis should of been resigned. You don't trade away players like that. That's how you end up where we've been since 2011 

1) Revis was basically done at that point.  Again, he was coming off an ACL tear.

2) It saved us from the $16M against the cap that Revis cost for Tampa Bay.

3) Richardson gave us several solid seasons (he was the best player on the team at one point).

4) Richardson eventually lead to Darnold via the deal we made with Seattle and then with Indy.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Find one well documented temper tantrum he had over not getting traded to Dallas.

You know, without making up total nonsense.  Like pretty much every Jamal obsessed post you throw up as fact

It isn't made up. You must have missed it then but he definitely indicated on Twitter that he wanted to go to Cowboys.  Look, I understand that we don't want to admit that Jamal isn't quite exactly what we want him to be, but he definitely wanted to join those cowboys.  It shouldn't be hard for you to find the tweet.  Since then he's equivocated, but it would be naive and foolish to believe that Jamal is loyal or will be loyal to the Jets.  That's impossible for a classic narcissist like Jamal to feel or to act accordingly.  Whereas Revis was economically all about himself, Jamal is emotionally all about himself.  I'm not sure which is worse, but Adams lovers are setting themselves up for huge disappointment when he throws you all to the curb in a year or two.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2862591-jamal-adams-says-he-wants-to-be-a-jet-for-life-despite-prior-trade-rumors

Jamal Adams Says He Wants to Be a 'Jet for Life' Despite Prior Trade Rumors

this is called equivocation. Anyone who trusts this is a fool.  Jamal is all about Jamal first and he will kick the Jets and their fans to the curb in a year or two.  Watch.  

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, GaryM said:

100%, what people do not understand that we all agree Jamal is a great player, also, we want him here on a reasonable deal. He has already talked about him being in the same class as Donald and Brady, which even all you lovers cannot agree with. I want Adams here for his entire career, but if he wants to break the bank, then gbye. If he wants to be like Brady, take less to help your team win, shut up and play the game.

100% ^THIS

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ok but for all the things people want to call Jamal in the positive direction, leader cannot be one of them.

He’s as me-first as it gets.

OK.. This is fruitless.  I agree 100% with you, but you are not going to get any nod of acceptance to those that fail to see how Jamal's narcissism will never allow him to be truly loyal to any team let alone the Jets.  Has nothing to do with his play on the field which is very good but highly overrated by Jets fans and the media who don knee pads and eagerly await swallowing everything Jamal can release.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Fact - a box safety is not worth 5 yrs, 90 million, 55 million guaranteed.

Fact - JD has a choice - sign him for what he considers fair value *or* let him play out his contract

Fact - Jets/JD controls Adams for three years (4th, 5th option - picked up, franchise)

Fact  - Jets hold all the cards and want to keep Adams under a reasonable contract for a BOX SAFETY

And?

None of this is something new.

We all know this, other than the worn out "box safety" line, like your insulting a SS for his job this is all true of any player

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

He 'wisely waited', please, if Adams had an once of wisdom he would have keep his mouth shut and his twitter nonsense to himself.

Its what he said, and get this, what he did

And of course, he shouldn't be on twitter, the Jets fans be made at that.  Why?  Because football players should shut up.  Cant have fun or talk on the internet, that's for fans only

Seriously.  Question for the Adams haters trying to convince the majority that hes a loud mouth whatever, we dont care.  Dont you get it.  I dont give a shlt that he tweets.  I dont get mad that he doesn't want to be traded and doesnt want to hear trade talk.  I care about him giving 110%, playing well and staying healthy/

Why you feel the need to repeat the same things over and over and over again.