Mt Rushmore of QBs. Name your Top 4 NFL QBs ever.

13 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Just like the thread says, name your Top 4 QBs. The way I did it was I imagined my team needing to win one game. The most important game ever, and thought who I’d want to be my QB.

Here’s my list.

1. Brady

2. Montana

3. Marino

4.Rothlisberger

Wait, what?  Rapistberger at top 4 all time? He’s not even a top 4 of his era let alone top 4 all time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

I have no problem with anyone putting him in their top 4. Also, if I may be so bold, I’m old enough to remember him well. Let’s see if you think I know anything.....

BART Starr was a terrific QB. Easily a HOF guy.

The problem for him was, even back then, when people thought of the Packers the two names that came to mind were Lombardi and Hornung (the Golden Boy from ND, at least until the gambling scandal). Their other RB, Jim Taylor completed what was at the time the premiere 3 man backfield in the league.

Add in the facts that as good as Starr was,

1. there was nothing flashy about him, or the Packer offense like say the Unitas led Colts, or even Meredith and the Cowboys.

2.he played on an incredibly talented team, their defense was as good if not better than their offense.

3. He was such a low key personality that even Jerry Kramer (albeit after writing his book) was more of a household name than Bart.

Bart was great no doubt but he's the opposite of Brady.  While Brady made bill Belichick a great HC and someone that some foolishly consider the best of all time Bart struggled before and after playing under Vince Lombardi.  For that reason I can't put him in the top 4.

7 hours ago, nico002 said:

You act like footage was lost and there is no record of the greatness of Marino.

he has an amazing season, he never really duplicated it. He didn’t win, didn’t elevate his team to win. Didn’t come through in the clutch. You’re overrating him because of the fake spike/history with the Jets. He’s a stat monster and an all time great- but he’s not better than Rodgers and he’s not top 4 all time...

Marino didn't win a SB but he consistently won without top talent around him.  The prime of his career he spent throwing to 2 Smurf WRs, he rarely had anything close to a run game.  The one time he made the SB he ran into one of the best teams of all time.

He was 147-93 as a starter, Eli was 1 game over .500. is Eli better, a"winner", because his Ds led him to 2 SBs?

The one knock on Marino for me is that he did only make one SB when the AFC was so weak.  Elway didn't have incredible talent either but he led his team to 3 SBs before he had top talent around him.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Marino didn't win a SB but he consistently won without top talent around him.  The prime of his career he spent throwing to 2 Smurf WRs, he rarely had anything close to a run game.  The one time he made the SB he ran into one of the best teams of all time.

He was 147-93 as a starter, Eli was 1 game over .500. is Eli better, a"winner", because his Ds led him to 2 SBs?

The one knock on Marino for me is that he did only make one SB when the AFC was so weak.  Elway didn't have incredible talent either but he led his team to 3 SBs before he had top talent around him.

No one is arguing that Marino isnt on another planet than Eli, I am simply suggesting that Aaron Rodgers is better in every way and deserves a spot in the mt Rushmore more than Marino, stop it.

15 hours ago, slats said:

Bart Starr posted a passer rating of 104.8 in the postseason from 1960-1967, winning championships in the last five seasons his team made the playoffs. Pretty sure that’s still the record for post-season passer rating, and he did it back in an era when completing half your passes and having a 1:1 TD:int ratio was considered to be a good job. 

None of you know anything. 

Bart Starr is a HOF'er, but a good game for him was 200 yards. Pack was all about the toss Power Sweep and D. 

Nobody copies Bart Starrs style, he wasn't a Prototype for anything specific,  and he wasn't as good or influential a QB as Unitas was. Starr is basically 1960s Griese. Nope. LOL.

People are confusing "Very Good" or HOF for "Mount Rushmore". Unitas gets the  nod. Montana.  Marino. Favre. Bradshaw was a great, but I don't see him as "founder" level QB'ing.  Elway is close,  but as Passers, Marino and Montana own that era, which really heralded the age of the "Modern NFL Quarterback".

Anyone after Favre (Manning etc) played in a time when Defenses were neutered, and anyone who mentions someone that is still playing (Mahomes, Rodgers) is probably just a kid. 

29 minutes ago, nico002 said:

No one is arguing that Marino isnt on another planet than Eli, I am simply suggesting that Aaron Rodgers is better in every way and deserves a spot in the mt Rushmore more than Marino, stop it.

I don't think you quite understand either the different eras of football, or what a "Mount Rushmore " signifies. 

And no. Marino was 3X the passer than Rodgers on his best day.  You need to watch some old games.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Bart Starr is a HOF'er, but a good game for him was 200 yards. Pack was all about the toss Power Sweep and D. 

Nobody copies Bart Starrs style, he wasn't a Prototype for anything specific,  and he wasn't as good or influential a QB as Unitas was. Starr is basically 1960s Griese. Nope. LOL.

People are confusing "Very Good" or HOF for "Mount Rushmore". Unitas gets the  nod. Montana.  Marino. Favre. Bradshaw was a great, but I don't see him as "founder" level QB'ing.  Elway is close,  but as Passers, Marino and Montana own that era, which really heralded the age of the "Modern NFL Quarterback".

Anyone after Favre (Manning etc) played in a time when Defenses were neutered, and anyone who mentions someone that is still playing (Mahomes, Rodgers) is probably just a kid. 

Here's the OP's criteria: 

18 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Just like the thread says, name your Top 4 QBs. The way I did it was I imagined my team needing to win one game. The most important game ever, and thought who I’d want to be my QB.

Unitas was the Peyton Manning of his day. Prolific, amazing, never-seen-before...  yeah, I get it. 

With everything on the line, Starr and Bradshaw always came thru. May not have been pretty all the time, but the job was completed. 

Marino never won a damn thing. Brady lost plenty, including my second favorite Super Bowl of all time where he choked away a 19-0 season. What a thing to behold that was! 

If we were looking for "greatest passers," or some such thing, my list would be different. These are guys who get it done, though. People are really sleeping on Starr and his insanely good post-season numbers. The team didn't rely on him until they had to, and when they did, he was there for them. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I don't think you quite understand either the different eras of football, or what a "Mount Rushmore " signifies. 

And no. Marino was 3X the passer than Rodgers on his best day.  You need to watch some old games.

That’s asinine, Aaron Rodgers is considered by many/most the most talented thrower to ever live. 3x is an absurd thing to say. 

17 hours ago, Lith said:

I am going to take a different apporach than most.  Since it is so hard to compare players across eras, and any attempt to do so creates bias in favor of the more recent guys who accumulate numbers that would have been impossible to attain in past eras.  I am selecting my four based on the best guys in different eras:

Brady

Montana

Johnny Unitas

Otto Graham

Finally. I was thinking how can you not have Unitas on this list.

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

That’s asinine, Aaron Rodgers is considered by many/most the most talented thrower to ever live. 3x is an absurd thing to say. 

Recency bias. Marino did sh*t in the 80s that Aaron Rodgers doesn't dream about. Marino generated more velocity and power than Rodgers, and his release was literally in the blink of an eye. It's really not close.

I hate Dan Marino.  I'm pretty ambivalent about A Rod. But as a passer, Marino was just....better. As a pure passer,  Marino stands as #1 to this day. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Recency bias. Marino did sh*t in the 80s that Aaron Rodgers doesn't dream about. Marino generated more velocity and power than Rodgers, and his release was literally in the blink of an eye. It's really not close.

I hate Dan Marino.  I'm pretty ambivalent about A Rod. But as a passer, Marino was just....better. As a pure passer,  Marino stands as #1 to this day. 

It’s very close. When asked Greg Jennings said Rodgers had a stronger arm than Farve. When considering ability to throw on the run.. it’s not even close. 

10 minutes ago, nico002 said:

It’s very close. When asked Greg Jennings said Rodgers had a stronger arm than Farve. When considering ability to throw on the run.. it’s not even close. 

1. Marino didnt have to throw on the run, his pocket could crash down on him instantly,  and the ball would just come rocketing out like a bullet to any point on the field from the pocket.  

2. Rodgers line can grab and hold all day to protect him, while he runs around and has 30 seconds to throw to a guy who the D can't touch,  while Marinos midget receivers got bullied and jammed everywhere on the field, and it didn't matter. Marino could rocket it in no matter how tight the window. Highlighting the difference eras, and the environment they played in. 

Compared to Marino, Rodgers is a powderpuff QB

32 minutes ago, slats said:

Here's the OP's criteria: 

Unitas was the Peyton Manning of his day. Prolific, amazing, never-seen-before...  yeah, I get it. 

With everything on the line, Starr and Bradshaw always came thru. May not have been pretty all the time, but the job was completed. 

Marino never won a damn thing. Brady lost plenty, including my second favorite Super Bowl of all time where he choked away a 19-0 season. What a thing to behold that was! 

If we were looking for "greatest passers," or some such thing, my list would be different. These are guys who get it done, though. People are really sleeping on Starr and his insanely good post-season numbers. The team didn't rely on him until they had to, and when they did, he was there for them. 

Anyone who considers Joe Montana or Tom Brady the Goat makes the argument for Starr to be right in the mix.  Starr is overshadowed by Lombardi and an unbelievable team along with a team that had a lot of interesting personalities that got a lot of attention.  Montana and Brady, undeniably great were not overshadowed by two of the greatest coaches in NFL history.  Walsh revolutionized the passing game and Montana had incredible talent around him on both sides of the ball.  Jerry Rice is in the argument as one of the top 3 NFL players not a QB of all time.  His numbers are staggering.  Brady obviously is an all time great but he unlike Starr wasn't overshadowed by the HC who is arguably the greatest HC in NFL modern history.  

I'm a believer you can only have takes like this on guys you saw play. I could put Johnny Unitas on here just because, but what's the point of that if I'm simply parroting something other people have heard?

Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Mahomes.

Probably early to anoint Mahomes but honestly, he's more impressive to me than Drew Brees, Brett Favre, or any of the other guys from the last 25 years.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm a believer you can only have takes like this on guys you saw play. I could put Johnny Unitas on here just because, but what's the point of that if I'm simply parroting something other people have heard?

Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Mahomes.

Probably early to anoint Mahomes but honestly, he's more impressive to me than Drew Brees, Brett Favre, or any of the other guys from the last 25 years.

Any time you talk definitively about someone you never saw play, you are just making stuff up, which is why i didn't put on Unitas.  The game is also so different it is hard to compare athletes of different generations.

Unitas, when he retired, owned every major record.  Unitas won Championships, he led one of the greatest 2 minute drives against the leagues best defense to tie the game in the 58 championship game, then won that game in OT.   He was an unbelievable tough player, every player from that generation respects him.  No modern QB took a beating like he did, and the older players did not have 1/10th of the medical innovations that they have today.

I'm not a huge Farve guy.   I mean, HOF, for sure, but after Holmgren left he was a guy if you played a game long enough would lose it as often as he'd win it, his last few playoff games are big examples of that.

Elway made 3 Super Bowls in a weak AFC, but his teams were crap.   He carried them, and then lost to some amazing teams in the SB.  Even that Redskins team, if you watch the game, their O Line so dominated the Broncos that literally any running back would have run for 150+ yards.  Timmy Smith would have had over 100 if they just had to grab a flag off of his belt.

Mahomes is on his way, but he's only played 2 years.   After Dan's 1st 2 years as a starter, I'd have said he was on his way to being the GOAT, no questions asked.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetluv58 said:

Saw him in Omaha 1976 with Slade, Nazareth and Thin Lizzy. What a show .... $5! 

Jesus, how could I forget probably my third-favorite voice in rock, err . . . football? Phil Lynott. Blows my mind that Slade never made it huge here. But he's a legend in the UK. Nazareth is known by lots to sound like AC/DC, but I don't see it. Same with Airbourne. You want AC/DC? Check out 77, or 42 Decibel. Irritates me when people made inaccurate comparisons. Kinda like GVF with Zeppelin. You know who they sound like much more?

These aren’t necessarily the best ever but just the guys I enjoyed watching the most or wish I would have had the opportunity to watch live. They were great at their peaks.

1) Payton Manning

2) Kurt Warner (Manning barely beats him out. The greatest show on turf was unstoppable. It was amazing to watch)

3) Warren Moon

4) John Elway

5) Tom Brady

6) Joe Montana

I know you asked for the best 4, but I can’t chose between these guys.

I would have also loved to see Joe Namath in his early years.

Every game against Marino I thought that SOB was going to find a way to beat us.  Whether it happened or not.

No one else gave me those nightmares

He was a beast of a passer and QB.  I dont care what Starr did with an incredible HC and roster, he never threw for 2,500 yards, he wouldn't scare me.  The team, yeah, Starr?  No

3 hours ago, nico002 said:

Marino was 1st team all pro 3 consecutive times.  Rodgers 2.  Marino lead the league in completions 6 times, yards 5 times, TD's 3 times.  Marino was in the top 10 in total O 13 times and was No. 1 5 times.  Rodgers was never No. 1 in total yards and was in the top 10 8 times.  

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Every game against Marino I thought that SOB was going to find a way to beat us.  Whether it happened or not.

No one else gave me those nightmares

He was a beast of a passer and QB.  I dont care what Starr did with an incredible HC and roster, he never threw for 2,500 yards, he wouldn't scare me.  The team, yeah, Starr?  No

I feel the same way but we did really well against marino, we were 13-17 against him which is really good especially compared to the way Brady dominated us.

• Upvote 1