No more Mr. Fat guy....

12 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I would second this, @greenwichjetfan. My failure to fitness early in life was always about focusing on what I couldn’t do. Can’t do a mini-ttiathLon, so I won’t do anything. Don’t have 90 minutes to lift, so I don’t do anything. Can’t program myself, paralysis by analysis.

I turned the corner, when I set the goal to do something hard today. Never focused on next day, time, program, etc. I would run/walk a mile. 12 minutes. Better than nothing. 

My mindset became: the hardest thing I’ll do today is this workout, I’m not thinking about tomorrow’s or yesterday’s, just today... and my goal is to show up. That’s it. Once my brain adapted to that, all my ocd tendencies took a back seat to being present. 

i have to think in part of GJF 80 hour work weeks is a few conference calls that he can do while walking briskly outside.  or biking at home.

maybe that is the way to get started.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

i have to think in part of GJF 80 hour work weeks is a few conference calls that he can do while walking briskly outside.  or biking at home.

It’s hard, I’ve been there. It’s very tough to walk away from the working mindset and practice self care. If I’m him, I carve out a window (no set time) just to do 20 each of 5 body weight movements a couple times a day. Just to get in the habit of taking a pause. Then work into a routine.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Down 30 now, doing Keto and Intermittent Fasting, and occasional ADF. Primarily following Dr. Jason Fungs program for fasting but adding tons of HIIT, Circuits, and Powerlifting stuff combined with Heavy Pack and Restricted Breathing mask. 

Yeah,  it's working. 

49 y/o 6'2 280, Goal 25520200630_150746.thumb.jpg.26170c3d6b27f04ead9d69d907fd3771.jpg

Nice!

I think we discussed this in a thread a while back.  I lost about 12-14 lbs. following a "modified" Keto diet, mostly eating salads and omelets, and doing intermittent fasting where I only eat between 10AM and 6PM.

Congrats dude!  Keep it rolling.

PS - Can you rush the passer?  Asking for Joe Douglas.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, batman10023 said:

I have taken walking conference calls for about 6 years now. Not only do I regularly get over 10k steps from it, I think better and the time goes buy quicker.

This whole zoom thing is annoying because I'm often the only one who wont turn video on but I'm not going back to sitting all day 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

Yep, steps are actually not a problem. I make sure to go for walks where I push around my 1 year old's stroller up and down the hills around my house. I walk around my house during conference calls, I try to find as many reasons as I can to go up and down the stairs to my first floor or basement or attic.

I guess I should have been more clear in stating that reaching my steps goals every day isn't helping me achieve weight loss so I need to be better about actually exercising again. At one point in my mid 20s, I was able to cut down almost 30 llbs over the course of 10 months by not changing anything about my diet or life except that I was exercising an hour a day (treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, free weights, calisthenics). I need to get back to that, but between the 80+ hour weeks and the 1 year old at night while the preggo wife tries to catch some sleep, I'm finding it mighty easy to use time as an excuse.

Bottom line as most of you have expressed: I need to carve out the time.

I appreciate the words @Trolly McTrollface @CTM @Thai Jet @Integrity28

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, CTM said:

This whole zoom thing is annoying because I'm often the only one who wont turn video on but I'm not going back to sitting all day 

I've been called out on large conference calls with directors of the firm for not using the Zoom app and simply dialing in. I've been told I'm the only person that they know that doesn't use the app. I play ignorance and state that I downloaded the app and tried logging in but it keeps timing me out. No one actually cares enough to make me "fix it". 

I'm 53 and my son just turned two and a half.  I spent almost my entire life between 175 and 193.  Last year I hit 200, then 212.  I worked my way back to just under 200 and BOOM this sh*t hit.  Right back up to 212.  I have been doing 2 days of the old football practice routine.  1 mile jog, some stretching and a ton of drills and sprints.  It stabilized my weight, but I am going to have to add some sh*t to drop back down.  My office is pretty good about video being optional.  They are lucky.  I haven't had a real haircut in over 6 months.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Yep, steps are actually not a problem. I make sure to go for walks where I push around my 1 year old's stroller up and down the hills around my house. I walk around my house during conference calls, I try to find as many reasons as I can to go up and down the stairs to my first floor or basement or attic.

I guess I should have been more clear in stating that reaching my steps goals every day isn't helping me achieve weight loss so I need to be better about actually exercising again. At one point in my mid 20s, I was able to cut down almost 30 llbs over the course of 10 months by not changing anything about my diet or life except that I was exercising an hour a day (treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, free weights, calisthenics). I need to get back to that, but between the 80+ hour weeks and the 1 year old at night while the preggo wife tries to catch some sleep, I'm finding it mighty easy to use time as an excuse.

Oh, diet is going to matter as lot as you get closer to 40 too.

22 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Have a 1 year old and another on the way. Turned 34 a few weeks ago and am fairly overweight. My kids are the only thing keeping me from eating junk food daily - otherwise I'd be drowning in doritos and cookies. But I've been working 85+ hour weeks from home these months past few months of quarantine so I haven't been able to exercise. Everyday I tell myself I'm going to, and every night I beat myself up over not doing so. Still, I know that in time, I'll get myself in gear....if not for me or my wife, then at least for my kids. 

Great job - keep at it and keep us apprised. It's inspiration for me and motivation for you!

I have found that I have to make it a habit of getting the workout done first thing in the AM.  Been working at home since March, but I have been working out 6 days a week.  Alarms is set for 5:45.  I get up, get a cardio workout in, and I am upstairs and at my desk by 7:30.  Miss the AM workout and the day gets in the way..  It is hard sometimes to get going at that hour, but on some of these days, it is the only time when I am doing something for myself.  My whole outlook for the day is better when a get that early AM workout done.

8 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Look at that guy! That gyms not open, he tore the doors off and sashayed in. Look close enough, it’s empty, other than for him. 

It's funny you say that.... my nickname at the fire department is Wreck it Ralph. )

• Post of the Week 1

Congrats!

I've been exercising and watching my diet although nowhere near the lengths you've been going through.

Lost 30 lbs. since the first of the year with spin and regular biking.

****shameless plug upcoming*****

Been using this app called "Lose It".  It's free (paid version has extras I don't use) and it's a great way to set up a weight loss regime

Doctor recommended it a couple years ago after I had surgery and put on a bunch a weight.  At that time I lost 40 lbs.

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I've been called out on large conference calls with directors of the firm for not using the Zoom app and simply dialing in. I've been told I'm the only person that they know that doesn't use the app. I play ignorance and state that I downloaded the app and tried logging in but it keeps timing me out. No one actually cares enough to make me "fix it". 

Haha. I was on a call with a bunch of higher ups at google and refused to zoom but when I explained the logic they actually said it was a good idea 

I used to do the no cam thing though 

48 minutes ago, CTM said:

I have taken walking conference calls for about 6 years now. Not only do I regularly get over 10k steps from it, I think better and the time goes buy quicker.

Same. Exact. Thing. Here.

I refuse to turn on the camera. I pace back and forth in my basement. Usually hit 10,000 steps before the work day is over. I find it hard sitting still on a conference call these days.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Depends what you do and your intensity, but more importantly it depends on the person. Wind sprints before bed don't work for most but yoga and/or mobility work can be very beneficial for sleep. That said everyone is different and it's all a matter of finding what works for you. Depending on my routine I go through phases where my highest intensity training goes late into the night and I sleep just fine.

Congrats that it works for you but you're the exception not the rule. Studies have shown that elevated pulse and heart rate are usually not conducive to sleep.

15 minutes ago, CTM said:

Haha. I was on a call with a bunch of higher ups at google and refused to zoom but when I explained the logic they actually said it was a good idea 

I used to do the no cam thing though 

Zoom has plenty of security issues.  It is pretty easy for us to avoid that one.  Still, teams and several of our internal apps have video capability that it is tough to get around.  I just keep saying that the content is sensitive and I will only use the secure conference line.  That method was approved about 3 levels up from me, so I am good so far.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Congrats that it works for you but you're the exception not the rule. Studies have shown that elevated pulse and heart rate are usually not conducive to sleep.

FWIW, I am also a late night trainer.  At my peak I was working out from 9-11pm.  I am sure that it would have been preferable to work out earlier, but being an athlete is only part of my life.  Work to feed the family, and actually eating with them were both more important. 

For most people doing the workout is #1.  The when is a consideration, but there are other priorities that get in the way.  It's like with diet, there are plenty of small items that can make a big difference, but it's most important to hit your macros.

FWIW, I have never had trouble sleeping, but I never sleep enough.  I have always had a ton of trouble leaving myself enough time to sleep.

On 6/30/2020 at 5:07 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Down 30 now, doing Keto and Intermittent Fasting, and occasional ADF. Primarily following Dr. Jason Fungs program for fasting but adding tons of HIIT, Circuits, and Powerlifting stuff combined with Heavy Pack and Restricted Breathing mask. 

Yeah,  it's working. 

49 y/o 6'2 280, Goal 25520200630_150746.thumb.jpg.26170c3d6b27f04ead9d69d907fd3771.jpg

You do know Tom Shane will use this picture to inspire himself .

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

Eh. The problem with those studies is they study people all starting from scratch. The body adapts to mostly anything when you do it over time.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Same. Exact. Thing. Here.

I refuse to turn on the camera. I pace back and forth in my basement. Usually hit 10,000 steps before the work day is over. I find it hard sitting still on a conference call these days.

Seriously. I dont know if its psychological but I genuinely feel like my brain runs 1/2 speed when sitting.

Probably explains 1/2 my posts here ;)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I answer this while eating a bag of Stacy chips so do as I say not as I do.  Might have to work on diet if less time to exercise. 

I was too thin for most of my life and now I have gained weight and out of shape. 

18 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

I answer this while eating a bag of Stacy chips so do as I say not as I do.  Might have to work on diet if less time to exercise. 

I was too thin for most of my life and now I have gained weight and out of shape. 

Cinnamon or naked? (the chips, not you, lol) Those things are soooo freaking good.

seriously though, those are the exact things you have to watch out with. I know it’s hard with kids in the house, but stay away from the junk food, especially after dinner. The pounds will come off very quickly if you do.

You said earlier about twenty pounds? That’s not too much to lose. If you really want to get it done, you can drop that in a month. You’ll probably lose about 8 the first week. Just challenge yourself... you’ll get it done.

Btw your post about lifting more than a phone was hilarious. ??????

• Haha 1

Dropping the weight is the easy part. Eat better - exercise more. Zillion ways to do that. Not putting it back on over the subsequent year or two is the really tricky part.  A large % of overweight people over eat due to stress. Better stress coping skills can be learned and will help keep the weight off long term.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah,  it's working. 

Congrats dude!

I just hit my 40-pound mark today. Doing 16:8 Intermittent Fasting and calorie management since March. 

Keep up the great work. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Yeah,  it's working. 

Sure, but will you be giving Gotham back to the people?

On 6/30/2020 at 10:43 PM, CTM said:

Happens. Don't beat yourself up, it's counter productive. Start small. Build positive momentum. Too many people try and get extreme right off the bat. "Starting next monday I'm eating clean and exercising every day" Usually bite off more than they can chew and end up quitting.

Pick 1 small, achievable goal and stick with it. Momentum will build from there. 

The best diet and exercise regime in the world is one you stick with. 

At your age you have time

Good luck!

From a psychological perspective, this is 100% accurate.  Weight has never been a problem for me, but overall healthy choices have been.  Outside my office is a Chick-Fil-A, two pizza places, and a Just Salad.  I usually convince myself in the elevator to "just make a healthy choice for this meal."  No big lifestyle changes, just one lunch at a time.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, TeddEY said:

From a psychological perspective, this is 100% accurate.  Weight has never been a problem for me, but overall healthy choices have been.  Outside my office is a Chick-Fil-A, two pizza places, and a Just Salad.  I usually convince myself in the elevator to "just make a healthy choice for this meal."  No big lifestyle changes, just one lunch at a time.

From a fat mans perspective sounds like a nice problem to have.,

• Haha 1

On 7/1/2020 at 10:54 PM, Trolly McTrollface said:

Cinnamon or naked? (the chips, not you, lol) Those things are soooo freaking good.

seriously though, those are the exact things you have to watch out with. I know it’s hard with kids in the house, but stay away from the junk food, especially after dinner. The pounds will come off very quickly if you do.

You said earlier about twenty pounds? That’s not too much to lose. If you really want to get it done, you can drop that in a month. You’ll probably lose about 8 the first week. Just challenge yourself... you’ll get it done.

Btw your post about lifting more than a phone was hilarious. ??????

I love the naked chips. Too good. 

it’s prob more like 15 lbs. I am 165 and need to be 150. 

I have found hopefully the best weight loss program for me.  We bought a new cream color couch and wife says no food on the couch.  Given my main problem is eating at night hopefully this solves the problem. 

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2020 at 10:55 AM, TeddEY said:

Indeed.  I guess I only saw the thread with the GOB bump.  W/ the clubs, the Lounge is kind of dead.

Kinda weird tbh. I had gotten so used to the Wiki-Doctorates dominating convos that I stopped browsing. Now that it's music and movies and Jet Engine's sexy selfies I'm surfing again. Max had it right all along with this sh*t.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1