Who was the worst GM the Jets have had since Parcells?

Worst GM since Parcells?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these men get the dunce hat?

• Mike “Big Mac” McCagnan
    • Terry “Teflon” Bradway
    • Mike “Trader Mike” Tannenbaum
    • John “The Glacier” Idzik

19 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I just think of Idzik as not only totally incompetent but an ugly assed, goof ball.

At least Macc brought in a QB prospect, a real one.  

ALSO never will forgive Idzik for not coming away with WRs, any to talk about in a historical draft for WRs

Last guy here will get most of the votes though

And he boasted in private about his plan to leave the cupboard bare for Rex so he was sure to fail and Idzik could sh*t can him

19 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Not a lot of fanfare for our last two GMs. Recency bias?

Well the team hasn't made the playoffs in a decade, so.......

The Bradway/Tannenbaum era teams at least won playoff games.  Thus Idzik and Macc are the only 2 candidates up for debate.

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Remember the season where he left Rex without a corner?

The Jets of New York had to go out and purchase five new offensive linemen to protect their shell-shocked franchise QB eight months after Mike Maccagnan was fired, but yes Idzik didn’t give $50 million dollars to Dominique Rodgers Cromartie to appease Rex so that’s the same thing

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets of New York had to go out and purchase five new offensive linemen to protect their shell-shocked franchise QB eight months after Mike Maccagnan was fired, but yes Idzik didn’t give $50 million dollars to Dominique Rodgers Cromartie to appease Rex so that’s the same thing

Of these four Big Mac is the only executive of the year I believe. 

4 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

I voted Idzik, and if there was multiple choice I would have picked Macc as well, but at least Macc got us Darnold, although anyone could have done that same pick.

Riiiiiiiight...cause he "got us" Darnold and that was a pure bold stroke genius move that has made us forget not "getting us" either Mahommes or Watson cause we all know how great Darnold has been oh dear god please god bless Mac.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

22 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

There was a quote I saw recently that Mac said towards the end of his tenure, and I’m paraphrasing: not sure what’s going to happen but if this is it, I’ll always be remembered as the guy who brought Sam darnold to this franchise. And for that reason alone I can’t vote for Mac. 

Even though he moved up to make sure he got Baker Mayfield?

Drafting Darnold was blind luck. He never expected to get him.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Even though he moved up to make sure he got Baker Mayfield?

Drafting Darnold was blind luck. He never expected to get him.

Baker is an excellent prospect as well and it was his trades that set it up.  The Richardson trade specifically which was a heist. He did many things wrong but did a great job getting a potential franchise QB.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Riiiiiiiight...cause he "got us" Darnold and that was a pure bold stroke genius move that has made us forget not "getting us" either Mahommes or Watson cause we all know how great Darnold has been oh dear god please god bless Mac.

I never said he was good just because he got us Darnold, just that it was the one move that didn't put him under Idzik the great...

How in gods name is Idzik keeping pace with Mac? 

Idzik was a bean counter in over his head... he blew the draft yes, but he cleaned up our salary cap hell and seem to know his role. He was bad, but not self-immolation bad like Macc

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I never said he was good just because he got us Darnold, just that it was the one move that didn't put him under Idzik the great...

Macc had 5 drafts to find and build around a franchise QB.  He failed at every bit of that.

I'm not saying Idzik deserved more than 2 drafts.  Only that Macc should have been gone after 2 or 3 of those drafts.  He shouldn't have even been here for the draft where we lucked into Darnold (who is no lock to be a franchise QB, at all).

In 5 years all you can say that's "positive" (but not really) about the guy is that he ended up with what has turned out to be just an OK QB prospect, via a trade he didn't engineer, 2 GM's picking before you not taking "your guy", and Kirk Cousins turning down $96 million guaranteed, and even then you did nothing to help your QB.  

God awful.

• Post of the Week 1

23 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Macc team of failure, made up entirely of Macc acquisitions:

• QB:  Christian Hackenberg
  • QB:  Bryce Petty
  • RB:  Matt Forte
  • RB:  Stevan Ridley
  • RB:  Zac Stacy
  • WR:  ArDarius Stewart
  • WR:  Chad Hansen
  • WR:  Devin Smith
  • WR:  Terrelle Pryor
  • WR:  Rishard Matthews
  • TE:  Jordan Leggett
  • TE:  Kellen Davis
  • OT:  Ryan Clady
  • OT:  Brandon Shell
  • G:  Kelechi Osemele
  • G:  Jarvis Harrison
  • C :  Spencer Long
  • DE:  Dylan Donahue
  • DE:  Mike Pennel
  • NT:  Deon Simon
  • OLB:  Jachai Polite
  • OLB:  Lorenzo Mauldin
  • ILB:  Darron Lee
  • ILB:  Erin Henderson
  • CB:  Trumaine Johnson
  • CB:  Antonio Cromartie
  • CB:  Buster Skrine
  • CB:  Juston Burris
  • CB:  Jeremy Clark
  • S:  Marcus Gilchrist
  • S:  Marcus Maye
  • K:  Randy Bullock
  • P:  Steve Weatherford (signed back to Jets in 2015)

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Baker is an excellent prospect as well and it was his trades that set it up.  The Richardson trade specifically which was a heist. He did many things wrong but did a great job getting a potential franchise QB.

High first round picks are more likely to be good players than not. You simply cannot defend Mr. Coffey's drafts.  They are abject failures.

The biggest reason he is the worst GM is because talent evaluation WAS WHY HE WAS HIRED.  They Jets suck not because of bad FA deals - they contribute to it - but when you go a decade without successfully drafting starters (and dare I say it - an occasional ALL PRO) in the 2nd 3rd 4th rounds - your team has no chance.  

Idzik actually did what he was hired to do - clear the cap and rebuild His failure was not surrounding himself with quality personnel people.

Mr Coffey has no such excuse.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I agree.

But also remember Idzik signed a corner who was injured more often than not over the last two seasons then watched him quit on the team.

For bonus points after signing that POS he didnt find a replacement.  Scrubs Macc left on the OL were inexcusable but not even a body as a replacement?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Maccagnan easily wins this race.  It’s not even close IMO.  Maccagnan run with the Jets is not only the worst in Jet history but rivals being one of the very worst in the NFL in the last 20 years.   

No kidding. The hackenbergs and Polites get undermined by the sewage surrounding them. 

I think some here forget how bad our cap situation was after the Tanny blimp went down in flames in 2012... The dude had been handing out contracts like Lil' Wayne.

Idzik got us out of that and did it rather well, to the tune of 12 picks. He was quite savvy actually on that side of the business. Had the fool only had the wherewithal to hire an Eliot Wolfe type Director of Personnel, he'd probably still have a job.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

But also remember Idzik signed a corner who was injured than not over the last two seasons before he quit on the team.,

And yet still a better move than the signing Darryl Roberts for 3 years/$18M

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Macc had as much to do with that as Ringo did putting the Beatles on the map.

Saying Macc got us Sam, is like paying a hooker and then claiming you got laid.

The meathead did everything he could to land Kirk Cousins. Only through sheer happenstance did Sam end up here.

And I would argue that even if you give Macc credit for Darnold, Macc is also the reason the roster was so talent deprived on the offensive side of the ball so that when we added our rookie, he had to overcome huge odds to just to be competent.  If Macc's "Plan" was to draft a QB in 2018, then he should have been adding young offensive talent through the draft in 2017, rather than a couple of safeties.  If you are going to draft a rookie QB, you have to prepare to put him in a situation to succeed.  Macc didn't do that. 

Even if you put Darnold on the plus side of his ledger, he still has way too many marks on the minus side.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Lith said:

If Macc's "Plan" was to draft a QB in 2018, then he should have been adding young offensive talent through the draft in 2017, rather than a couple of safeties.  

Oh come on man, that 2017 draft was depleted of non-QB offensive talent.

Well, except for Christian McCaffrey.

And JuJu Smith-Schuster.

And George Kittle.

And Alvin Kamara.

And Kenny Golladay.

And Dalvin Cook.

And Cooper Kupp.

And Ryan Ramczyk.

And Aaron Jones.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

If Macc's "Plan" was to draft a QB in 2018, then he should have been adding young offensive talent through the draft in 2017, rather than a couple of safeties. 

Couldn't have said it better.  

There was never a plan. Just a scared man hiding behind a mountain of empty coffee cups wondering how much longer he could keep it up. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

Point being the Darnold pick may soon end up cementing Mac's historical standing in the pantheon of NYJs GM suckitude.

53 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Couldn't have said it better.  

There was never a plan. Just a scared man hiding behind a mountain of empty coffee cups wondering how much longer he could keep it up. 

Macc was a scout.  That is all he ever was.  He never seemed to understand that to be a GM, you have to have  a plan for how to build a team.  That is different than scouting individual players and assessing who you think is best.  A scout assesses talent; a GM builds a team.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, y2k8 said:

High first round picks are more likely to be good players than not. You simply cannot defend Mr. Coffey's drafts.  They are abject failures.

The biggest reason he is the worst GM is because talent evaluation WAS WHY HE WAS HIRED.  They Jets suck not because of bad FA deals - they contribute to it - but when you go a decade without successfully drafting starters (and dare I say it - an occasional ALL PRO) in the 2nd 3rd 4th rounds - your team has no chance.  

Idzik actually did what he was hired to do - clear the cap and rebuild His failure was not surrounding himself with quality personnel people.

Mr Coffey has no such excuse.

They both struggled, idzik destroyed the franchise though.  What idzik did was easy, they had easy moves to be made to get cap room. He did a nice job acquiring picks but botched that draft with a million good players in it.

Macc gave us a potential franchise QB, that trumps anything idzik did.

Macc also was stuck with the worst HC in football who he didn't hire.  Idzik didn't how Rex but rex was a good HC.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Point being the Darnold pick may soon end up cementing Mac's historical standing in the pantheon of NYJs GM suckitude.

I get it, I hope not, but I get why some say that. And just because he picked Darnold, doesn't mean I liked Macc (well at first I did), but I changed my mind. Which is why he was a close 1st with Idzik.  

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Macc had 5 drafts to find and build around a franchise QB.  He failed at every bit of that.

I'm not saying Idzik deserved more than 2 drafts.  Only that Macc should have been gone after 2 or 3 of those drafts.  He shouldn't have even been here for the draft where we lucked into Darnold (who is no lock to be a franchise QB, at all).

In 5 years all you can say that's "positive" (but not really) about the guy is that he ended up with what has turned out to be just an OK QB prospect, via a trade he didn't engineer, 2 GM's picking before you not taking "your guy", and Kirk Cousins turning down $96 million guaranteed, and even then you did nothing to help your QB.  

God awful.

I did say this though lol...

21 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

I voted Idzik, and if there was multiple choice I would have picked Macc as well

I've never witnesses anything worse than Mac IRRATIONALLY hitting the panic button and taking Hack in the 2nd round leading to FURTHER IRRATIONALITY the following year, passing on not one but two very RATIONAL QB prospects.   

I challenge anyone to site a more laughable 1-2 punch.  Idzik couldn't draft but he at least had a plan and behaved rationally.  True, he did tank to try to rid himself of Rex so there is that.....but hey, we praised Gase for getting rid of Mac.  

None the less I vote Mac by a mile.        

• Upvote 2