Who was the worst GM the Jets have had since Parcells?

Worst GM since Parcells?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these men get the dunce hat?

• Mike “Big Mac” McCagnan
    • Terry “Teflon” Bradway
    • Mike “Trader Mike” Tannenbaum
    • John “The Glacier” Idzik

Highlights 

Bradway: 

Traded first round pick for Doug Jolley and drafted Mike Nugent in Round 2

Traded two first round picks for DeWayne Robertson 

Traded Santana Moss (also drafted him)

Passed of Ed Reed for Bryan Thomas 

Tannenbaum:

Drafted Vernon Gholston, Mark Sanchez, Kyle Wilson, Quinton Coples 

Handed Santonio Holmes a big contract 

Traded for Tim Tebow and handed Mark Sanchez an extension to make him feel better 

Idzik

Oversaw two horrible drafts (Dee Milliner, Geno Smith, Calvin Pryor, Idzik 12)

Signed Dmitri Patterson (guy who went AWOL in training camp) and Mike Goodson (criminal).

Traded for Percy Harvin when team was 1-7 

McCagnan

2015 draft, Darron Lee, Christian Hackenberg, passed of DeShaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes, Jachai Polite. 

Signed Darrelle Revis to big money deal

Re-Signed Mo Wilkerson and signed Trumaine Johnson

Re-Signed Quincy Enunwa to a contract the Jets can’t get out of 

CJ Mosley and LeVeon Bell albatross contract 

Could not replace DBrickashaw or Mangold on oline. 

Bradway and Tannenbaum had some measure of success, can't be either of them.

The question is basically Idzik vs Maccagnan.

Idzik had a smart overall strategy (acquire picks, build through the draft, be smart in FA) the problem is he was just an atrocious drafter. Between all of those draft picks he hit on Sheldon Richardson and pretty much not a single other player. The law of averages suggests he'd hit on a few at random... But he only had two years.

Maccagnan was also a dreadful drafter, but he seemingly had no plan. No philosophy, didn't understand positional value, handed out huge contracts to bad players. Really just did a terrible job in almost every context. Unlike Idzik he was actually here 4+ years and the talent roster was arguably worse after he left.

I think I've previously said Idzik just out of sheer terribleness of those drafts but I think it's actually Big Mac. The sample size and lack of any coherent vision for building a team take the cake.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Highlights 

Bradway: 

I don't think this is accurate.  IIRC, he traded down like 8 spots for Jolley.  Still a dumb trade but I don't think he just gave away a 1st rounder like that.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GreekJet said:

Highlights 

Bradway: 

Traded two first round picks for DeWayne Robertson 

Traded Santana Moss (also drafted him)

Passed of Ed Reed for Bryan Thomas 

Tannenbaum:

Drafted Vernon Gholston, Mark Sanchez, Kyle Wilson, Quinton Coples 

Handed Santonio Holmes a big contract 

Traded for Tim Tebow and handed Mark Sanchez an extension to make him feel better 

Idzik

Oversaw two horrible drafts (Dee Milliner, Geno Smith, Calvin Pryor, Idzik 12)

Signed Dmitri Patterson (guy who went AWOL in training camp) and Mike Goodson (criminal).

Traded for Percy Harvin when team was 1-7 

McCagnan

2015 draft, Darron Lee, Christian Hackenberg, passed of DeShaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes, Jachai Polite. 

Signed Darrelle Revis to big money deal

Re-Signed Mo Wilkerson and signed Trumaine Johnson

Re-Signed Quincy Enunwa to a contract the Jets can’t get out of 

CJ Mosley and LeVeon Bell albatross contract 

Could not replace DBrickashaw or Mangold on oline. 

Bradway moved down 20 spots, got a vet starting TE and still drafted the 2 players they were targeting in 2005.

The Robertson trade was 2 1st rounders in exchange for a 1st rounder that was much higher than either they had.

The answer is easily Idzik, he destroyed the franchise.  His drafts v were the worst outside of bill Parcells 1997-1999.

I'm always going to defend guys with a 5 year plan that gets fired in year two. Woody and Jets fans don't want to suck for 3 years of a complete rebuild. They'd rather win 6-7 wins ten years in a row if it meant going 8-8 once.
So imo it can't be idzik he was blowing up the sh*tty overpriced roster on purpose.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Arsis said:

I'm always going to defend guys with a 5 year plan that gets fired in year two. Woody and Jets fans don't want to suck for 3 years of a complete rebuild. They'd rather win 6-7 wins ten years in a row if it meant going 8-8 once.
So imo it can't be idzik he was blowing up the sh*tty overpriced roster on purpose.

No part of the plan was drafting that bad though.

Still, Mac probably laps Idzik twice in the race to the bottom.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

The Macc team of failure, made up entirely of Macc acquisitions:

• QB:  Christian Hackenberg
  • QB:  Bryce Petty
  • RB:  Matt Forte
  • RB:  Stevan Ridley
  • RB:  Zac Stacy
  • WR:  ArDarius Stewart
  • WR:  Chad Hansen
  • WR:  Devin Smith
  • WR:  Terrelle Pryor
  • WR:  Rishard Matthews
  • TE:  Jordan Leggett
  • TE:  Kellen Davis
  • OT:  Ryan Clady
  • OT:  Brandon Shell
  • G:  Kelechi Osemele
  • G:  Jarvis Harrison
  • C :  Spencer Long
  • DE:  Dylan Donahue
  • DE:  Mike Pennel
  • NT:  Deon Simon
  • OLB:  Jachai Polite
  • OLB:  Lorenzo Mauldin
  • ILB:  Darron Lee
  • ILB:  Erin Henderson
  • CB:  Trumaine Johnson
  • CB:  Antonio Cromartie
  • CB:  Buster Skrine
  • CB:  Juston Burris
  • CB:  Jeremy Clark
  • S:  Marcus Gilchrist
  • S:  Marcus Maye
  • K:  Randy Bullock
  • P:  Steve Weatherford (signed back to Jets in 2015)
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't think this is accurate.  IIRC, he traded down like 8 spots for Jolley.  Still a dumb trade but I don't think he just gave away a 1st rounder like that.

Correct.

I believe the Dewayne Robertson situation is inaccurate too. They used 2 picks to move up but in essence gave up 1 1st rounder. Still a bad deal

There was a quote I saw recently that Mac said towards the end of his tenure, and I’m paraphrasing: not sure what’s going to happen but if this is it, I’ll always be remembered as the guy who brought Sam darnold to this franchise. And for that reason alone I can’t vote for Mac. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Idzik was somehow worse than Mac and i agree with all the Mac voters too... there's really no wrong answer

a monkey throwing his own feces at a street and smith's magazine could have drafted better than Idzik 

The 2013 draft really wasn't bad at all.  Easily the best Jets draft of the 2008-2018 range. 

Sheldon Richardson was a force until he committed 4 crimes in one day.  Geno Smith was the proper shot to take at QB given his college resume and where we took him.  As opposed to Macc taking 5th/6th round prospect Hackenberg in Round 2. 

And he drafted 2 useful OL (Winters and Aboushi, who is still in the league as a capable backup), which was more than Macc accomplished in his entire tenure.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

There was a quote I saw recently that Mac said towards the end of his tenure, and I’m paraphrasing: not sure what’s going to happen but if this is it, I’ll always be remembered as the guy who brought Sam darnold to this franchise. And for that reason alone I can’t vote for Mac. 

But he didn't.  Heimerdinger engineered the trade and it required sheer luck (NYG passing on Darnold to take a RB) for it to happen.  And his Plan A before all that happened was to offer Kirk Cousins more money than any team in the league.

Macc had nothing to do with bringing Darnold here.  He signed off on a trade up to # 3 in what was, at the time, a 2-QB draft.  He was all set to take either Mayfield or Rosen there, with Darnold assumed to be going # 1.  Just imagine if Rosen had ended up the pick.

Not to mention, no one should be sold on Darnold just yet anyways.  He needs to put up a Top-20 QB season before we can even remotely trust that he's the franchise guy.

The proper move was to draft a QB in 2017, not a friggin Safety.  So even if Macc "got it right", it was still wrong, and the means toward that end required happening in SPITE of Macc's many failures.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Maccagnan started this devastating timeline:

-Selected Hackenberg round 2, anyone with a clue who watched him play in college knew how tragic in the moment it was.

-Passed on Deshaun Watson & Patrick Mahomes with Hackenberg & Petty in his QB room.

-Selected Jamal Adams

-Overall selected 1 OL in the first 3 rounds of his tenure: Chuma Edoga

A special shout out to Ron Wolf and Charley Casserly for this gem.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

No part of the plan was drafting that bad though.

Still, Mac probably laps Idzik twice in the race to the bottom.

Execution aside. Since they all executed poorly. The man still had a 5 year plan and sucking for 2-3 years was part of it. That's usually part of any successful rebuild.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1