Mekhi Becton 1st Start

Guilhermezmc

4 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Per PFF, Becton gave up 1 pressure in addition to the sack. He also had the 1 penalty. That’s pretty solid going up against a speed guy like Hughes.

Becton held his own he was fine.  If we actually tried to run the ball today he would have been even better 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Yeah, Becton should be enough to get us a Super Bowl win.  What a k]=joke that we're putting so much stock in him.  Hope he does well.  But we're miles away from doing anything significant  Simply:   F*ck this team.

Are you OK? You've been having some stroke worthy posts lately.

15 minutes ago, Hael said:

He had at least three problematic plays.  The sack was on him, he was beaten but Darnold could have dumped it off to avoid it.

The hold would have been a sack and was the worst play for him.

He was badly beaten a few plays earlier as well, but Darnold rolled out and the rb picked it up.

They were getting consistent edge pressure though, and Darnold was forced to step into a pushed pocket quite a few times which led to a number of wobbly throws.  He needs to work on his finishing move technique.

What is crazy is that some people think he should be playing at an All-Pro level in his first game ever under these circumstances. Every LT in the game gets beat from time to time, even the best ones. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If we had a beat writer worth a sh*t they'd compare bectons first start to D'brickashaw Ferguson's first start.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to Becton but if I had to go with my gut I'd say he had a better first game.

Brick got pushed around a lot his 1st 2 years.

He wasn't bad, but he was light and had trouble keeping weight on.  Richard Seymore gave him a horrible time, but Seymore was an excellent player 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

Brick got pushed around a lot his 1st 2 years.

He wasn't bad, but he was light and had trouble keeping weight on.  Richard Seymore gave him a horrible time, but Seymore was an excellent player 

They said he finished his rookie season weighing only 280lbs, for a guy his size that is downright skinny. It took him a couple of years until he became a dominant pass blocker, most people forget that. 

• Upvote 4

Let’s not forget that most thought it was going to take time for OL to gel. Most thought Becton was raw and would struggle a tad because of the lack of preseason.

This was his FIRST nfl game. He’s mostly definitely a bright spot. There’s no...he needs time to develop. Dude held his own.

Even PFF who didn’t like him gave him credit for a solid game.

Just now, RobR said:

They said he finished his rookie season weighing only 280lbs, for a guy his size that is downright skinny. It took him a couple of years until he became a dominant pass blocker, most people forget that. 

Exactly.

Left tackle is really tough.  If a rookie grades out as a top 15 by the end of the year, that is very good.   It is also really tough, the kid had no preseason.  I realize no one did, but for young players I think that will affect them early on.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

I think the line was pretty average in pass pro today. Someone correct me if I’m wrong. I know there was some pressure up the middle, but I think it was a step up from last year. 

They gave hi,  plenty of time. Darnold doesn't step up and doesn't get rid of the ball. Has no feel for the rush. On the one sack vs. Becton wasn't blown away, Darnold didn't step up nor throw. 

Had 1 sequence when it was still a game where they ran behind Becton 2x and thereby got their 1st down and 12 total yards. Got away from that. Thought for the most part he was very good with a tough assignment. If the pass wasn't working at a loss why they didn't pound it. 

5 minutes ago, RobR said:

Thats crazy.  I weigh 280ish at 6'2. OT at 6'6 280 in this century is a FEATHERWEIGHT 

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Thats crazy.  I weigh 280ish at 6'2. OT at 6'6 280 in this century is a FEATHERWEIGHT 

Did you forget about his rookie season? He was so light he looked like a fish out of water always fighting for his life to get back in the bowl. Becton is legit.

17 minutes ago, RobR said:

Did you forget about his rookie season? He was so light he looked like a fish out of water always fighting for his life to get back in the bowl. Becton is legit.

He was one of the few bright spots in the game today.  He looked really good, I want to see the film to see him run block, at least a few runs to the left we got some really good movement.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Solid job by the rookie, 1st start at LT with zero preseason games, he did have one penalty and allowed one sack (Sam holded for too long), the team had a couple of runs to the left who went very well.

Is early but a very good sign for the future of this franchise.

So they have one piece for the future.  

2 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

He was one of the few bright spots in the game today.  He looked really good, I want to see the film to see him run block, at least a few runs to the left we got some really good movement.

I didn't watch him on every play but I thought his most egregious error was when he pulled for the Herndon screen/fumble. He looked totally lost and that's not the player I see on tape. After watching today you can tell that it's all there, every tool needed to be the best. Can't will until his test next week.

13 minutes ago, RobR said:

I didn't watch him on every play but I thought his most egregious error was when he pulled for the Herndon screen/fumble. He looked totally lost and that's not the player I see on tape. After watching today you can tell that it's all there, every tool needed to be the best. Can't will until his test next week.

me either, i was trying to watch sam and his feet and throwing motion for a lot of it. I didnt watch that play close enough, i just remember him looking a little awkward.  Youre right though, every tool is there, when it all clicks for him and he realizes how dominant physically he can be, he's going to be incredible. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Per PFF, Becton gave up 1 pressure in addition to the sack. He also had the 1 penalty. That’s pretty solid going up against a speed guy like Hughes.

ROOKIE WATCH

All things considered, Jets rookie left tackle Mekhi Becton had an impressive debut. While he did allow a sack, Becton allowed only one other pressure while often tasked with facing one of the better edge rusher in the league in Jerry Hughes. One of Becton’s biggest concerns coming out of Louisville was the fact that he hadn't been tested in true passing situations against top talent. It isn't easy for a rookie to hold up so well against a player like Hughes.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

cR3SstVV_reasonably_small.jpg

Darnold was pressured 16 times on his 36 drop backs This surprised me ... it seemed to me that the boys up front held their own. Excited to see the analysis

Have you guys watched the other games? It's seems like they have ten times more space to throw. It's OK, because we have a new O-line and no preseason games. It's to be expected. They were average today, but it could have been worse due to lack of experience playing together.

59 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Sounds like he did okay for his 1st game.

Douglas needs other picks to get healthy and start doing something.

Gonna keep saying it.  Shoulda traded Adams sooner.  We needed another draft pick WR this year.  Mims wasn’t enough

Shenault scored a td today

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Considering he was considered a work in progress, didn't have exhibition games, was playing against a tough defense I would say this was a very good first game for Beckton.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Considering he was considered a work in progress, didn't have exhibition games, was playing against a tough defense I would say this was a very good first game for Beckton.

Even Brick gave up sacks his rookie season and we had an easy schedule that year and his specialty was pass pro