How do we fix the wr situation?

Philc1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

2021 will be WR year for the Jets under JD. I could easily see one of the #1s used on a WR & Juju in free agency. We're injured at WR but guys will come back & we'll see who sticks. 

For the Jets, the future is always a season away.

1 hour ago, Mo Lew said:

At some point doesn’t Joe D realize he’s killing Sam by not having any wr talent?

Wouldn’t it be prudent to act this year? Not to try and be successful this year but to preserve the overall chance that we may be better in future ones? 

I think drafting Becton was at least a start to help Sam. 

Joe Douglas fell on his ass on this.  WR was a MASSIVE need coming into the year.  The draft was deep at Wr and he only took one (many teams almost all with better WR situations took 2 or 3) who has been a non entity due to injury.  Perriman at best is a lateral move with Robbie Anderson.

• Upvote 2

Does anyone have any hope that if we even have a top 4 pick we'll target the right position/player?

Like seriously, would anybody be shocked if we took the next "great" 3-4 defensive end? 

I guess I have more faith in Douglas than our previous GM's, and he did draft Becton. But I haven't seen enough of him to be encouraged that he knows what he's doing for sure yet. 

12 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I think drafting Becton was at least a start to help Sam. 

I agree but a reliable wr would work wonders. Give him a consistent out. I think that could be Herndon but with him missing a whole year that shouldn’t have been expected. 

• Upvote 1

2021 Draft:

Rd 1: Rondale Moore, 5'9 180, WR Purdue

Rd 2: Sage Surratt, 6'3 215, WR Wake Forest

*Rondale Moore was the most explosive playmaker in college football when healthy. Kick returns, slot wr, screens, jet sweeps, you name it. Defensive coordinator's nightmare because you have to account for him everywhere. As explosive and twitchy as they come.

*Sage Surratt has the best ball skills in all of college football. Uses his body very well. Extremely well built and strong. Elite hands. You have to have safety help over the top with him because he's going to win one on one battles almost every time.

The other first round pick goes to the best edge rusher. Along with Mims, we would have the best young group of receivers in the NFL.

Fixed.

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Joe Douglas fell on his ass on this.  WR was a MASSIVE need coming into the year.  The draft was deep at Wr and he only took one (many teams almost all with better WR situations took 2 or 3) who has been a non entity due to injury.  Perriman at best is a lateral move with Robbie Anderson.

Regardless of what he says, there was no intention for the jets to be competitive this season and the adams trade was the cherry on top of the crappy sundae.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Other than drafting Mims, there was little else done to help the long term health of the WR group.   There will need to be a hell of a lot more done during this coming offseason to change that.  You’re going to need at least two established veterans added as well as a fairly highly drafted rookie.   I don’t care who the QB is going to be, you can keep putting your QB in a no win situation.  

With the amount of money the jets will have and the tough decisions these teams will have to make on players due to possible covid impacts to the Cap and the fact that many have paid big contracts to other stars on their team, there should be a decent crop of WR out there to bid on.  JD hopefully finds a player or two he feels is warranting a deal and spends wisely.  

I fully expect us to hit WR in the draft as well.  I expect crowder will be resigned, possibly perriman if he ends up doing well.  then you have those two, mims, berrios (good on specials) and then either 1-2 drafted guys probably one in the first round.   That is a potentially good set of WR depending on how mims progresses and who they draft.  It's bad right now but its not like it cant be turned around next season effectively. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, deucebag said:

Thank you!  Exactly my point.  If we couldn't be competitive this year we should have at least been all about giving Sam the opportunity to show what he could do.   Drafting only one WR and signing journeyman cast-offs like Perriman and Doctson was criminal.  We needed an upgrade over Robby and Demaryius, instead we have a major downgrade.  Sure Mims may turn out to be a good one, but he is no slam dunk, in a draft that was as deep at WR as this past one, you HAD to come away with two.

I'm sorry but drafting guys like Davis, Zuniga, Morgan and Clarke were not the type of picks a rebuilding team should have made - those are depth picks for a solid roster.  

Let's put this post away & take a look a thing it in the near future. Most Rookie WRs don't start anyway. It was a terrible year for free agent WRs, no way in hell Obrien wasn't trading Hopkins into the AFC, and it is what it is with injuries. 

1 hour ago, viffer said:

I like Sam and I like JD, but even I am beginning to think Sam may not be the answer. It's just possible that JD is quietly tanking to draft Trevor next year. We obviously aren't going anywhere this year, and JD held out for a six year contract for a reason. He doesn't really care about this year; he is thinking 2021 or more likely 2022.

Nothing JD did suggests trying to tank. The Jets have had an insane streak of injuries at WR.  It is just ludicrous the complete overreaction to a single game- a game after no offseason no OTA's and no preseason games. People here want to hold that game as the measuring stick for what the Jets will be this year. For both the Jets and Darnold the cesspool dwellers here only count the worst games as the benchmark for level of play and when Sam or the team plays well it was because we played a weak opponent. The idiots on this board simultaneously believe the the Jets are the worst team in football, Darnold is the worst QB and all our wins are against lesser opponents. It's ludicrous Seriously get over yourselves..

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Nothing JD did suggests trying to tank. The Jets have had an insane streak of injuries at WR.  It is just ludicrous the complete overreaction to a single game- a game after no offseason no OTA's and no preseason games. People here want to hold that game as the measuring stick for what the Jets will be this year. For both the Jets and Darnold the cesspool dwellers here only count the worst games as the benchmark for level of play and when Sam or the team plays well it was because we played a weak opponent. The idiots on this board simultaneously believe the the Jets are the worst team in football, Darnold is the worst QB and all our wins are against lesser opponents. It's ludicrous Seriously get over yourselves..

The last 10 years haven't hammered that one home for you?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Were the worst team in the NFL last year?

Did we improve the roster from last year?

Who cares?  Either you're good or you're not.  We're one of the worst teams and have the 3rd longest playoff drought in the NFL.  So saying we're the worst is not exactly a stretch.

Is being something like the 25th best team in the NFL in 2019 something to celebrate?  Is it appropriate to call everyone else "idiots" for thinking we're the worst after Week 1's performance, coming on the heels of 9 straight terrible seasons?

Your brand of homerism is just plain silly.  I am actually optimistic, and think things will get better by 2021/2022.  But right now its a dumpster fire, and its fine to admit that.  Stop acting like you're the arbitrator of what people are allowed to think about this franchise.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Let's put this post away & take a look a thing it in the near future. Most Rookie WRs don't start anyway. It was a terrible year for free agent WRs, no way in hell Obrien wasn't trading Hopkins into the AFC, and it is what it is with injuries. 

I would agree with you if it were a typical draft class, but this year the number of NFL caliber WR talent was astounding.  Not to mention, it is not a stretch to say any rookie WR picked in the first four rounds would be more impactful than Perriman.

Through ONE week 18 rookie WRs have already had an impact.   They were :

Rookie WRs currently starting for their respective teams:

Tee Higgins Cincinnati Round 2 pick 33

Brandon Aiyuk  49ers Round 1 Pick 25

Justin Jefferson, Minnesota Round 1 Pick 22

Henry Ruggs II, Las Vegas, Round 1 Pick 12

Laviska Shenault, Jaguars, Round 2 Pick 42

Nonstarters who had a week 1 impact:

Ceedee Lamb - Dallas - 5 catches 59yds

Jerry Jeudy - Denver - 4 catches 56yds

Tyrie Cleveland - Denver - 1 Catch 7yds

Michael Pittman - Colts - 2 catches 10 yds

Chase Claypool - Pitts - 2 catches 39 yds

Gabriel Davis - Buffalo - 2 catches 16 yds

Van Jefferson - Rams - 1 Catch 31yds

Bryan Edwards - Las Vegas - 1 catch 9 yards

Devin Duvernay - Ravens - 1 Catch 12 yds

Colin Johnson - Jaguars - 1 Catch 14yds

Quintez Cephus - Lions - 3 Catches 43yds

Darnell Mooney - Bears - 3 catches 38 yds

Freddie Swain - Seattle - 1 catch 17yds

(The above does not count WRs who were injured like KJ Hamlin and, obviously, Denzell Mims)

In a draft that saw 32 WRs taken the MOST WR needy team in the NFL selected ONE - that was INEXCUSIBLE unless there was a plan B.  Did we need Ashtyn Davis (who looks like he couldn't tackle a High School football WR) or James Morgan so much that we couldn't pick up another WR??????

On 9/18/2020 at 10:20 AM, Mo Lew said:

I agree but a reliable wr would work wonders. Give him a consistent out. I think that could be Herndon but with him missing a whole year that shouldn’t have been expected. 

Herndon needs to become an elite TE to save this season

• Upvote 1

On 9/18/2020 at 10:25 AM, Augustiniak said:

Regardless of what he says, there was no intention for the jets to be competitive this season and the adams trade was the cherry on top of the crappy sundae.  

This is the same line of nonsense that has been getting sold to jets fans since 2017

On 9/18/2020 at 8:13 AM, Philc1 said:

Draft Chase with our next top 4 draft pick.  Sign one of the four: Allen Robinson, Corey Davis, Will Fuller or TY Hilton

DO NOT cut Crowder to save a couple bucks.

i know you all hate Sam but even after another horrible season I would like to see him with both an actual O-Line and NFL WR corps

Draft well and sign good options next year.

• Upvote 1

On 9/18/2020 at 3:54 PM, deucebag said:

I would agree with you if it were a typical draft class, but this year the number of NFL caliber WR talent was astounding.  Not to mention, it is not a stretch to say any rookie WR picked in the first four rounds would be more impactful than Perriman.

Through ONE week 18 rookie WRs have already had an impact.   They were :

Rookie WRs currently starting for their respective teams:

Tee Higgins Cincinnati Round 2 pick 33

Brandon Aiyuk  49ers Round 1 Pick 25

Justin Jefferson, Minnesota Round 1 Pick 22

Henry Ruggs II, Las Vegas, Round 1 Pick 12

Laviska Shenault, Jaguars, Round 2 Pick 42

Nonstarters who had a week 1 impact:

Ceedee Lamb - Dallas - 5 catches 59yds

Jerry Jeudy - Denver - 4 catches 56yds

Tyrie Cleveland - Denver - 1 Catch 7yds

Michael Pittman - Colts - 2 catches 10 yds

Chase Claypool - Pitts - 2 catches 39 yds

Gabriel Davis - Buffalo - 2 catches 16 yds

Van Jefferson - Rams - 1 Catch 31yds

Bryan Edwards - Las Vegas - 1 catch 9 yards

Devin Duvernay - Ravens - 1 Catch 12 yds

Colin Johnson - Jaguars - 1 Catch 14yds

Quintez Cephus - Lions - 3 Catches 43yds

Darnell Mooney - Bears - 3 catches 38 yds

Freddie Swain - Seattle - 1 catch 17yds

(The above does not count WRs who were injured like KJ Hamlin and, obviously, Denzell Mims)

In a draft that saw 32 WRs taken the MOST WR needy team in the NFL selected ONE - that was INEXCUSIBLE unless there was a plan B.  Did we need Ashtyn Davis (who looks like he couldn't tackle a High School football WR) or James Morgan so much that we couldn't pick up another WR??????

Is there a yawn button yet for some of these posts?  Asking for Tom Shane.

15 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I think it's about time people stop referring to perriman and Anderson being lateral moves. It never was. It was a full stop downgrade. 

Idzik esque bargain bin prove it deal to a draft bust. And it's going as well as expected. 

The plan was to sign both.  JD made a very reasonable offer to Robby it was for twice what he signed in Carolina he just wanted nothing to do with Gase

On 9/18/2020 at 8:31 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Who cares?  Either you're good or you're not.  We're one of the worst teams and have the 3rd longest playoff drought in the NFL.  So saying we're the worst is not exactly a stretch.

Is being something like the 25th best team in the NFL in 2019 something to celebrate?  Is it appropriate to call everyone else "idiots" for thinking we're the worst after Week 1's performance, coming on the heels of 9 straight terrible seasons?

Your brand of homerism is just plain silly.  I am actually optimistic, and think things will get better by 2021/2022.  But right now its a dumpster fire, and its fine to admit that.  Stop acting like you're the arbitrator of what people are allowed to think about this franchise.

You show a lot more patience for this homerific condescension than I do.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Yes the sweet siren song that keeps Jets fans plodding on toward their doom

And yet, the thing we don't do that we have to do.

You may think its bullsh*t, but if you do not draft well, you go nowhere in any of the major four sports.  Remember the success this franchise had for a few years after having two good drafts in the early 2000's?  well, imagine if we could do that regularly. 

• Upvote 1

Draft multiple WR’s and a TE. Crowder should stick next year but I’m not sure past that so hopefully a long term slot and an outside guy.

Rondale Moore can make plays after the catch and also get downfield a little. Would be a really dangerous slot and potential offensive centerpiece who may come at a bit of a discount since he only has one year of production (injured sophomore year, COVID opt out). If not him, Tutu Atwell is a possibility.

Plenty of outside receivers including Chase early. Tamorrion Terry is a freak athlete and may go a little later.

Awesome tight end class too with Kyle Pitts as my favorite but Pat Freiermuth and Brevin Jordan are others who are well regarded.

Running back needs to be addressed too. The line isn’t outstanding yet but I genuinely believe with Perine we’re going to see more rushing production. The run game is so, so bad it not only puts the team in bad down and distance situations but it lets defenses tee off on the pass rush too. Terrible for the passing game.

The sad part is, we dont even know if we have a player in Mims.  So the Jets could literally not have a WR on the team other than Crowder after the season.  Scary.

They have to draft WR's next season.   Thinking you're going to hit on UDFA's is fools gold.  Unless they can pull off a trade or a land a young FA, they have to draft multiple WR"s next season.  Which is good, it should be another very deep year.  Cant only take 1 next year though, have to take 2 maybe even 3.

• Upvote 1