Greg Roman

Rhg1084

Stop picking coaches who do a good job as a coordinator. The Peter principle applies to the NFL. They get promoted to their level of incompetence...or in the case of Gase beyond it. 

Pick a coach who can find coordinators like Roman to come and work for them. Guys who can run a team and not be the coordinator in chief. 

There's a guy that has a relation to the Ravens and actually had Greg Roman working for him that should be available. 

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

You don’t think Lamar is playing well or has been put in a great position to succeed by his coaches?

14 minutes ago, Stark said:

He can call plays that fit his personnel 

Both valid points. But how much of it is him versus how much of it is Lamar and are you willing to gamble with that? 

Would much rather have a proven commodity this time instead even if it's an offense coach from the college level with a good track record.

6 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Stop picking coaches who do a good job as a coordinator. The Peter principle applies to the NFL. They get promoted to their level of incompetence...or in the case of Gase beyond it. 

Pick a coach who can find coordinators like Roman to come and work for them. Guys who can run a team and not be the coordinator in chief. 

There's a guy that has a relation to the Ravens and actually had Greg Roman working for him that should be available. 

They should back the truck up for Harbaugh man. 

He brings a track record of success and credibility in the blink of an eye. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Greg Roman is such a superior offensive mind to Adam Gase that it isn't even close!

I said in another thread that Shotty is WAY better than Gase and it isn't close!

No way Roman has the team looking this... NO WAY!!

And the fact ownership doesn't see that Gase is a joke is extremely concerning, baffling and at the end of the day very sad....

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, JTJet said:

Both valid points. But how much of it is him versus how much of it is Lamar and are you willing to gamble with that? 

Would much rather have a proven commodity this time instead even if it's an offense coach from the college level with a good track record.

I don't think Roman would be my choice, but he's had consistent production as an offensive coordinator with much, much worse QBs than Jackson. 

In 2011, he had the 11th ranked offense with Alex Smith. 

In 2012 and 2013, he also had the 11th ranked offense with Colin Kaepernick 

In 2014, he was 25th with Kaepernick. His only year below 20 (aka the Gase zone)

In 2015, he was 12th with Tyrod Taylor.

He's never had a top offense, but he was doing that with questionable talent and QBs. 

However, none of that means he'll be a good HEAD COACH. Personally, I don't think he has the personality, demeanor or skills for it. I'd be more interested in the guys who'd hire Greg Roman as OC over Roman himself. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Stark said:

He did in SanFran too. Alex Smith became a good QB. Then Kaep was his best with aRoman  

he can coach athletic qbs and Sam has that to a degree. Gase just doesn’t utilize it. 

I could see that. But like someone else said, why go for him, when you can probably go for the guy he used to work for (Jim Harbaugh). 

That would bring some credibility along with proven success.

• Post of the Week 1

From a list of HC candidates, 2021: https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/09/11/head-coaching-candidates-2021

Wink Martindale, defensive coordinator, Baltimore Ravens

Don Martindale interviewed for the Giants' vacancy last year and will be a promising candidate again in 2021. I’ll make this point again below, but as offenses continue to evolve (or revolve), it’s going to be integral to have minds like Martindale running a coaching room. In 2019, the Ravens were not just Lamar Jackson’s team. Baltimore finished fifth in turnover percentage, third in points allowed, fourth in yards allowed and second in first downs allowed. The unit only gets better heading into this season.

Greg Roman, offensive coordinator, Baltimore Ravens

Roman was sought after last season, though not to the extent that we might have expected. The offense that Baltimore crafted around Jackson was brilliant and is an example of what Roman can do (as was his stint in San Francisco). An interesting tidbit for teams looking to hire a coach and draft a QB in 2021: Roman’s teams have never finished worse than fifth in interceptions thrown. In four out of seven seasons, his teams have been top five in points scored and in all but one season, they’ve been top 10 in giveaways. Owners who are afraid they’re hiring an “option style” coach may want to dig a little deeper.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I don't think Roman would be my choice, but he's had consistent production as an offensive coordinator with much, much worse QBs than Jackson. 

In 2011, he had the 11th ranked offense with Alex Smith. 

In 2012 and 2013, he also had the 11th ranked offense with Colin Kaepernick 

In 2014, he was 25th with Kaepernick. His only year below 20 (aka the Gase zone)

In 2015, he was 12th with Tyrod Taylor.

He's never had a top offense, but he was doing that with questionable talent and QBs. 

However, none of that means he'll be a good HEAD COACH. Personally, I don't think he has the personality, demeanor or skills for it. I'd be more interested in the guys who'd hire Greg Roman as OC over Roman himself. 

I think you just sold me on him since Gase is always 30th. lol...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Roman is associated with offenses with strong running games.  The 49ers under Harbaugh.  The Bills under Rex.  And the Ravens with Lamar Jackson.

Is he really the right guy for a Darnold offense?  Maybe, because Sam's best pass plays are often broken, off script plays.  We don't need a tactician as much as we need a guy who can coach to Sam's innate strengths.

Either Roman or Bienemy would be way better than Gase.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

I could see that. But like someone else said, why go for him, when you can probably go for the guy he used to work for (Jim Harbaugh). 

That would bring some credibility along with proven success.

Yeah not discounting that either. 
just want JD to pick his guy and not waste anymore time with Sammy boy. 

• Upvote 2

Roman is associated with offenses with strong running games.  The 49ers under Harbaugh.  The Bills under Rex.  And the Ravens with Lamar Jackson.
Is he really the right guy for a Darnold offense?  Maybe, because Sam's best pass plays are often broken, off script plays.  We don't need a tactician as much as we need a guy who can coach to Sam's innate strengths.
Either Roman or Bienemy would be way better than Gase.
Should Donald really be part of the equation? At this point I'd say he's 30/70 to be our starting quarterback in two years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Should Donald really be part of the equation? At this point I'd say he's 30/70 to be our starting quarterback in two years.

Yep.  New regimes almost always mean new QB's.  You hire Greg Roman (or whoever, especially if its an offense-first guy) after the season, and let him and Douglas pick the new QB.   

There's almost zero chance Darnold would still be the guy after a coaching change.  The new coach wouldn't be coming here FOR Sam Darnold.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  New regimes almost always mean new QB's.  You hire Greg Roman (or whoever, especially if its an offense-first guy) after the season, and let him and Douglas pick the new QB.   

There's almost zero chance Darnold would still be the guy after a coaching change.  The new coach wouldn't be coming here FOR Sam Darnold.

I tend to agree. 

I think Darnold's best chance for still being our QB after this abortion of a season is that, we somehow don't finish high enough to draft a replacement that Douglas and new the coach (Roman sounds good to me) like, so we bring in a veteran to compete with Darnold and Darnold beats him out in camp. 

Outside of that scenario, I don't personally see Darnold surviving here past this season. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

As much as I like Darnold and have defended him, I don't think he is likely to be the QB after this season. 

The reality is, the 2020 NY Jets will be the national sh*tshow of the NFL - it does make some cosmic sense that the Jets would field a historically bad team during the year of COVID. 

While I wished more than anything that Darnold would be given a chance to play a few games with a decent supporting cast here, it looks like that is never going to happen. After we go 3-13/4-12, most people will want to start over at coach and QB. 

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

As much as I like Darnold and have defended him, I don't think he is likely to be the QB after this season. 

The reality is, the 2020 NY Jets will be the national sh*tshow of the NFL - it does make some cosmic sense that the Jets would field a historically bad team during the year of COVID. 

While I wished more than anything that Darnold got a chance to play a few games with a decent supporting cast here, it looks like that is never going to happen. After we go 3-13/4-12, most people will want to start over at coach and QB. 

We're going to win 3 games? 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, JetPotato said:

We're going to win 3 games? 

Oh yea. 

You guys who are already looking to preorder your Lawrence jerseys - mark my words, we will win enough games to f*ck up your plans. 

I've never been more certain of anything in my life. The Jets don't get guys like Lawrence (assuming he is as can't miss as everyone says)

13 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I think there's definitely some truth to this -- specifically that being a good coordinator (in particular being a good play caller) doesn't mean you'll be a good head coach.

That doesn't mean you disqualify great coordinators. The reality us none of us fans know what kind of personality these guys have. We don't know what it's like to be in the room with them. We don't know if they're natural leaders. We just know 1) what their track record is and 2) what we read about their reputation. Beyond that we need to hope that Douglas and (gulp) the Johnsons make good calls on that stuff.

That said Greg Roman has an impressive track record, IMO. He's taken guys like Kaepernick and Tyrod Taylor and gotten more out of them than anyone else has. He's taken an elite, raw talent like Lamar Jackson and taylored the offense to his strengths and the kid is an MVP already. He has been around successful, winning coaches like both Harbaugh brothers.

If he has no personality and isn't a natural leader, sure, don't hire him. But in a league that is more and more taylored to QBs who can run the ball he's been at the forefront of that movement. Personally I love the pairing of Roman and Trevor Lawrence.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Oh yea. 

You guys who are already looking to preorder your Lawrence jerseys - mark my words, we will win enough games to f*ck up your plans. 

I've never been more certain of anything in my life. The Jets don't get guys like Lawrence (assuming he is as can't miss as everyone says)

I might only watch 3 more games this year. Can you tell me which 3 we'll be winning so I can more effectively plan?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

an elite, raw talent like Lamar Jackson

smh....     dude was thebest QB prospect in the class andthe pundits got it wrong.

13 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Maybe, because Sam's best pass plays are often broken, off script plays.  We don't need a tactician as much as we need a guy who can coach to Sam's innate strengths.

Design around broken plays....  riggggggggght

Roman will be on a short list im sure, ravens connections and douglas can trust the opinions of the front office there if he was so inclined to go after a Roman or Martindale.  I suspect also lincoln riley will be on the short list but it would be if he would take the call or not.  I have my doubts he makes the jump yet. 

When I think of potential replacements for Gase, I think of a few different aspects. 1) style and mentality to mesh with Douglas vision, and 2) relationship to douglas.   Those two points i think give a clearer look into guys we'd look at.  So in my mind:

Roman- Strong run game, believes in a strong OL, Ravens connection

Martindale- Hard nosed guy, Creative Defensive mind, Ravens connection

Schotty- Strong run game, Football lineage, Successful OC

Doug Peterson- Eagles connection, values a zone blocking athletic line. 

Riley- Hot name, Quarterback friendly system, Great play caller, likes zone blocking athletic lines. 

• Upvote 2