Ohio St QB Justin Fields.

12 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Not true, but ok. Clemson actually used much of the same defense that they had used to stop Fields the year before. The 3 high safety look. Last year, he tried to throw through that look and got burned. This year when they presented it, he checked down. Then when they went off it, he went deep middle and burned them. Actually, pretty impressively.

Oh ok so you moved onto making stuff up.  

Sermon dominated OSU’s first drive.  Clemson sold out to stop him the rest of the game and Fields had guys open by 5-10 yards the rest of the game in man to man or soft zone

and when Fields wasn’t waiting for receivers to first make their breaks before throwing he was locking in on the first read

I’ll give Fields this the two throws to the tight ends in the end zone were in tight coverage yes

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What game did you watch?

You keep repeating the most mind numbing comments about Fields, youre blaming Clemson for Fields having a great game and then complaining that Fields didnt have a great game.  And actually telling us you watched the game, have a clue about QB and didnt see a QB who went through progressions?  We're all imagining it?  McShay imagined it?  

Stop already, you dont have to make shlt up, just say you would pass

So how many yards rushing did Sermon have in the game and did you watch him on Ohio State’s first drive?

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Sermon dominated OSU’s first drive.  Clemson sold out to stop him the rest of the game and Fields had guys open by 5-10 yards the rest of the game in man to man or soft zone

So should Justin have thrown to the guys who were covered just to prove a point he can throw into tight windows?   

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

When Clemson tried to cheat that other safety, Fields burned them Give him credit. I know you can't.

Which QB played better in that game, Lawrence or Fields? 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So should Justin have thrown to the guys who were covered just to prove a point he can throw into tight windows?   

that's the thing.  just because his first read was usually open and he didn't have to go thru progressions, we shouldn't fault him for this.  it doesn't mean he can't do it, doesn't mean he can.  just means he didn't have to.  good for him.  

• Upvote 1

jetsb_logo.gif New York Jets: Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State OhioState_logo.gif
The Jets made a very foolish decision to beat the Rams (and the Browns.) Now, they have a dilemma. Do they select the second-best quarterback in the class or stick with Sam Darnold? Considering that Darnold has shown no signs of becoming a franchise quarterback and has admitted to "seeing ghosts," it would be best to trade him, especially given that New York will have to pay him a large contract to retain him. It would be smart to move him for a second- or third-round pick.

Justin Fields made the egregious mistake of committing to a program with a talented, young quarterback in Jake Fromm, so he was blocked from starting. Fields, however, was able to transfer to Ohio State, where he dominated in his first season. He continued his strong play into the shortened 2020 campaign, aside from sloppy performances against Indiana and Northwestern. He seemed injured in those games, but after a long layoff, he dominated Clemson in the playoff semi-final. Drawing comparisons to Deshaun Watson, Fields should be the second-overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Walter Football

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

that's the thing.  just because his first read was usually open and he didn't have to go thru progressions, we shouldn't fault him for this.  it doesn't mean he can't do it, doesn't mean he can.  just means he didn't have to.  good for him.  

Yes but you don’t really know if he can either.  Is that worth 2nd pick overall?

It’s not just Ohio State.  Every year there’s some hot shot QB with eye popping stats comes out of the Big 12 playing in a similar one read system. First read always open by 5-10 yards. Then They always suck in the nfl and then the people who know everything pretend they never heard of him

On 1/1/2021 at 11:00 PM, football guy said:

Fields is overrated. Credit to him for playing well tonight - no doubt he has great talent - but we still haven't seen him conquer the internal clock* concerns, go through progressions, keep his eyes downfield, and make throws in the face of pressure, let alone read the rush or a defense. Most of his reads are predetermined and none of them involves reading coverage- he's been a "see it, throw it" QB at the college level. 

Each prospect is an individual evaluation so I wouldn't go so far to compare him to his Ohio State predecessors, but fact is the simple spread scheme/zone-read they run + the talent they have plays a significant part in their QBs success, and it only helps that their QBs have all the tools in the world. There is no need to read defenses in their scheme; master the plays, execute the play as designed, use your gifts when things go wrong, and that's it. 

I personally like Justin Fields - my NFL comp for him is Marcus Mariota, and I really liked Mariota. He has great leadership qualities and all the tools you can ask for, but if you take Fields you can't just plug him in and expect him to thrive. You'll need to run a full-on spread and RPO offense early on and kind of embrace what he can do as he learns how to play QB in the pros for a few years, otherwise he will fail you as Mariota did Tennessee. 

... which brings me back to the argument I have made and will continue to make until the end of time. 

Why draft a projection QB prospect who will require a terrific offensive infrastructure in order to cater the playbook to his skill set when you already have a 23 year old QB wil similar abilities? Sam has all the tools Justin Fields has... Fields is just younger, faster, and benefits from recency bias. 

If your argument is that it makes more sense because it allows you to reset the clock for the QBs contract I can respect that. If it's that Fields is a can't miss QB who is a better prospect than Sam Darnold, then I shake my head. 

Bump. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, football guy said:

Bump. 

Yes let’s ignore the broken ribs (and god knows what else) and the sprained/broken thumb on his throwing hand. 

There hasn’t been a single play today where I would say fields missed an open guy or failed to make a read.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Yes let’s ignore the broken ribs (and god knows what else) and the sprained/broken thumb on his throwing hand. 

There hasn’t been a single play today where I would say fields missed an open guy or failed to make a read.

Power to him for being tough and for having leadership. Fact is he’s playing the same today as he’s played all season. Difference is lack of flashy stats. 

Also re: the bold... people mock me for my Darnold takes, so I got ask: are you related to Justin with this? He’s had about 11 severely off target throws/missed reads of his 15 passes tonight.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

Power to him for being tough and for having leadership. Fact is he’s playing the same today as he’s played all season. Difference is lack of flashy stats. 

Also re: the bold... people mock me for my Darnold takes, so I got ask: are you related to Justin with this? He’s had about 11 severely off target throws/missed reads of his 15 passes tonight.

No I just disagree with your assessment. A bad throw isn’t a bad read. 

On 1/7/2021 at 8:26 AM, Philc1 said:

and when Fields wasn’t waiting for receivers to first make their breaks before throwing he was locking in on the first read

I’ll give Fields this the two throws to the tight ends in the end zone were in tight coverage yes

You watch different games than the rest of us.  Clemson wasnt selling out.   Fields wasnt waiting for receivers to get open, he threw them open if they weren't open and when had to he squeezed the ball into tight spots.  Its college ball, stop sounding like it was your first game