Jimmy Garoppolo

Would there be interest in bringing Jimmy Garoppolo to compete with either Darnold or Lawerance next season? 

He's a low volume QB who manages the game well. Great at checking down to the proper running play and pass protection. Can be solid competition/backup for Sam Darnold or Lawerance next season.

There's whispers of the 49ers looking to move on from him in 2021. Would you look into him as a QB?  If not then what other veteran backup would you prefer?

• Thumb Down 4
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Would there be interest in bringing Jimmy Garoppolo to compete with either Darnold or Lawerance next season? 

He's a low volume QB who manages the game well. Great at checking down to the proper running play and pass protection. Can be solid competition/backup for Sam Darnold or Lawerance next season.

There's whispers of the 49ers looking to move on from him in 2021. Would you look into him as a QB?  If not then what other veteran backup would you prefer?

I don't really see Garoppolo as a "bridge" QB, really.  He's closer to Dak where you'd have to shell out a lot more coin to bring him in than a bridge QB is worth.  

My preference would be Jameis Winston, Tyrod Taylor, or Andy Dalton for that kind of role.  All 3 are scheduled to be free agents this offseason. Ryan Fitzpatrick (also a FA) would be a fun choice too, if only for the ensuing @Pac meltdown.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

No. Please, stop. No. We bring in our new, fresh, unjaded talent from college. We don't want or need anymore leftovers from other organizations. Thank you and good bye. Bless ya, thank ya. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

No.

0.0% interest.   I would, in fact, rather bring back Mark Sanchez.

13 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Is this a serious question? Absolutely not. He sucks worse than Sam. Put him on this roster with our talent and coaching and we'd loose by.......... well I don't think we can loose by more, but it'd be the same dumpster fire. 

He doesn’t suck anywhere near as bad as Sam sucks. Still don’t want him but come on, man.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, pointman said:

No. Please, stop. No. We bring in our new, fresh, unjaded talent from college. We don't want or need anymore leftovers from other organizations. Thank you and good bye. Bless ya, thank ya. 

So what we going with 3 rookie QB going into next year. Good luck we definitelyneed a vet..

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

He doesn’t suck anywhere near as bad as Sam sucks. Still don’t want him but come on, man.

Agree to disagree. Give Sam Kyle Shanahan and that system and he might have developed. Regardless it doesn't matter, we ruined whatever potential he could have had here and it's time to move on.  

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Agree to disagree. Give Sam Kyle Shanahan and that system and he might have developed. Regardless it doesn't matter, we ruined whatever potential he could have had here and it's time to move on

if we’re taking even money I’d bet Jimmy has won more game to this point in his career than Darnold will total

30 minutes ago, jgb said:

I want Gardner Minshew as backup next year. Doubt JD will trade a pick, though. Probably be someone like Tyler Bray since he’s seen as having similar game to Trevor and will be cheap—Jets siren song right there 

If James Morgan is not the backup QB next year Douglas should hit the friggin road

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Wait, hold up lol. So Jimmy is so bad that he can't be our veteran backup QB? This sounds absurd considering the collection of trash we've placed onto the field when Sam has gone done.

I don't agree with any of these people saying that he's not good enough to be a backup or compete for starting Week 1 duties.  My issue is purely with cost. 

My guess is he would cost something in the neighborhood of $12-20M per (more than Mariota's $8.8M per but less than Bridgewater's $21M per), depending on contract length and whether other teams out there are looking to sign him as a borderline QB1.  

That's just too much for a bridge QB.  

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

So what we going with 3 rookie QB going into next year. Good luck we definitelyneed a vet..

Yes. We need a vet. I started writing some vets we had here and I got depressed and decided to forgo paining my fellow posters with a sad sad list. Point being, our vet quarterback club is garbage and we don't need it if it means more of the same. 

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I liked Garoppolo a lot when he first hit the scene, but I have a big issue bringing in injury prone players, particularly QBs. 

he sucks when his 1st read isnt open.

was 2-10 with an int in the sb in crunch time missimg a wide open guy deep... n fggn way

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I liked Garoppolo a lot when he first hit the scene, but I have a big issue bringing in injury prone players, particularly QBs. 

You mean like Ryan Tannehill?

50 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Even then, he only had one great season and would have likely regressed to the mean in 1999 and disappointed us. 

You mean like Ryan Tannehill?