PFF's NFL's Top 50 free agents

If you swapped Juju with Joe Thuney/Brandon Scherff this would be a lot better. Our interior OL still needs major improvement. Also if we’re spending big on a WR this year in free agency it’s gotta be Robinson/Godwin or Golladay. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, nycdan said:

I think I prefer Robinson or even Godwin over JJSS but it's not by a wide margin.  

Thing about JJSS is that he is versatile. He will do the dirty work underneath and draw attention. What he did for Claypool and Brown are undeniable.

The margins are slim though, and I would be happy with any of the top 3-4.

I remember reading this article during last year's FA period

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/why-jets-key-additions-have-yet-to-come

There is a plan in place.  Imagine we wasted money on Clowney and Ryan. In Joe we trust!

Apr 16, 2020 at 08:30 AM

Thoughout free agency, Jets GM Joe Douglas stayed true to his plan. With multiple needs, he attacked certain positions and prioritized both depth and flexibility. NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah, who worked alongside Douglas as a scout with the Baltimore Ravens, saw both the short-term goals and long-term vision at play this spring.

"He had a plan in talking with him prior to free agency," Jeremiah said of Douglas. "He had it mapped out of what he wanted to do and what he wanted to get accomplished. He wasn't going to come out there firing in that first wave. They were going to have numbers and stay within that budget. The good thing, the exciting thing for Jets fans out there is that this team right now has filled holes, they can take the best available player at No. 11. That's the first thing."

In an effort to provide better protection of QB Sam Darnold, Douglas agreed to deals with five offensive linemen including C/G Connor McGovern and T George Fant. Hours after playmaker Robby Anderson jetted for Carolina, Douglas countered with the addition of another speedster in former Buccaneers wideout Breshad Perriman. On the defensive side of the ball, he re-signed a pair of valuable starters in OLB/DE Jordan Jenkins and nickel CB Brian Poole. He swept in to get a boundary CB with more starting experience than any cornerback on his roster when Pierre Desir (36 starts) was released by the Colts.

Douglas handed out a lot of one-year deals and remained firm once he set a value on a player. He also stressed versatility in the new Jets. In the case of the offensive line, each of the five who reached deals can play multiple positions. The Jets first-year GM stressed culture along

the way with the desire to fill his roster with tough guys who love the game and will fit inside the locker room.

While OverTheCap.com indicates the Jets are currently more than $18 million under the 2020 cap, the site has the Green & White close to $74 million under the 2021 cap. But there will be plenty of ways to maneuver between now and next spring.

"The second thing is when you forecast into the future, we have this year coming up, but once you get to 2021 and that free-agent class, there is tremendous flexibility and opportunity for the Jets to make a big push in the next offseason with free agency the way this is set up with the one-year contracts and other contracts they're going to able to get out from under," Jeremiah said. "There's going to be a lot of freedom and liberty there to make a big push."

By being prudent, Douglas stayed away from any splash moves and didn't pay above market value for his assets. In less than two weeks, he will navigate his first draft as general manager of the Jets. The Jets own eight selections with single picks in Rounds 1, 2, 4 and 5 and a pair in both Rounds 3 and 6. Douglas holds the No. 11 overall selection and four picks in the top 80 as the offseason reaches another phase.

"I think next year you're going to see this thing really take off with some of the people they're going to be able to add," Jeremiah said. "To me, this offseason was going to be about the draft first and foremost, and free agency was going to supplement what they do in the draft. The key additions to the Jets this offseason have yet to come — they're coming here in a couple weeks."

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The Jets have to sign a veteran starting WR.  JuJu is the youngest available and if you are going to break the bank he makes the most sense

He’s not a #1 and isn’t even the best WR on his own team. I like his game but I’d rather pay one of the other big name WRs slated to hit feee agency

21 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

$14MM/year for Marcus Maye -- never mind with a ~10% expected drop in cap?

I think PFF is reading too much into their own suspect rating/ranking for the player.

I'm not seeing that contract in the Jets' future. Not after the same GM went bargain shopping on the OL and WR when he had plenty of cap room.

I like Maye, and think he's a good starter, but I'd draft another safety in rounds 3-4 before signing on for that level of a deal. Lord knows we have plenty of day 1-2 picks over the upcoming 2 drafts. IMO that's a contract for an already-contender with cap space, looking to shore up its last few remaining areas of weakness. Not for a team with 10+ holes who's about to take their 2nd top-3 overall pick QB in 4 years. I'd rather gamble on another rookie starting at safety than gamble on one surrounding our next shiny new rookie QB.

14 million for Maye is ridiculous! 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

He’s not a #1 and isn’t even the best WR on his own team. I like his game but I’d rather pay one of the other big name WRs slated to hit feee agency

In truth we don't know if Godwin is this "true #1" either when he's not opposite giant/mega-talented WR of Evans' caliber. Maybe he's more the mid-90s Bears' Jeff Graham than its Curtis Conway.

Maybe Mims, assuming he isn't chronically injury-prone, is developing into this "true #1" (he does look the part) so we shouldn't be as obsessed with this label. Give our new QB 3-4 really solid targets - IMO there are already at least two - plus adequate time to throw and better coaching, and it's really not that important (however nice it is, and however much we'd all welcome such an addition). 

Put another way, I'd take any of these three mentioned upgrades.

• Post of the Week 1

51 minutes ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

I would definitely prefer one of the other receivers opposed to JuJu. I feel like crowder is a very serviceable slot receiver and they would be better off allocating cap elsewhere. 

I want Robinson, he's got a little nastiness in him. Mims does too, so it toughens up these team a bit. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I think I prefer Robinson or even Godwin over JJSS but it's not by a wide margin.  

For me it is a wide margin.  This article has JJSS at #12.  It has Dak Prescott at #1.  Godwin, Robinson and Golladay are 2, 3 and 4.  WIll Fuller is #9.  Like PFF, I like Smith-Schuster, but I would take any of those guys over him.  That is particularly true in an offense that is already carrying Crowder. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

For me it is a wide margin.  This article has JJSS at #12.  It has Dak Prescott at #1.  Godwin, Robinson and Golladay are 2, 3 and 4.  WIll Fuller is #9.  Like PFF, I like Smith-Schuster, but I would take any of those guys over him.  That is particularly true in an offense that is already carrying Crowder. 

All of that but most of all because Steelers.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yes, and the other piece of him is that he is an excellent teammate. He breaks the mode of sulking prima donna WRs

100% agree. A star player on his contract year. He hasn't complained once about the lack of targets. Claypool and Johnson get more targets than him. Seems like a really good kid. 

4 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

While I like him as a player, I don’t see Smith-Schuster signing with the Jets.  He was connected to the Jets because he played with Darnold.  Do you really think he will sign if Darnold is out the door? 

I'm gonna go ahead and guess he's not making business decisions based on where Sam Darnold is. 

• Haha 3

I want one of Godwin, Robinson or Golladay,

and one of Scherff or Thuney (or maybe Corey Lindsey and move McGovern to guard?), or better yet, 2 of the 3,

plus another receiver like Samuel, Davis, D. Robinson, etc. (or bring back Perriman)

Then draft offense everywhere.  

Build the offense.  Don’t worry about the defense until next year.  

• Upvote 1

For Trevor Lawrence and all of our available cap space? I'd like to see JD splash on two game changing FA WR's (instead of just one). 

QB: Trevor Lawrence. 

WR1: Allen Robinson. 

Slot: JuJu Smith-Schuster. 

WR2: Denzel Mims. 

WR4: Jamison Crowder. 

Giving a young Trevor Lawrence KC Chiefs types of pass catching options/weapons. 

While giving us an ability to attack O-Line/RB/TE with our first 3 picks of the first two rounds. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Burrow's got a torn ACL and MCL along with other structural damage in his knee. The idea he's going to be ready Week 1 2021 is highly presumptious.

Giving Cam newton 20 million guaranteed has nothing to do with joe burrow.

Cincy needs a Qb, yes.

Cam newton played for a million this year and has been worth about ....1 million.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

No, but if he has multiple offers (and he will) and he hears negative things from his buddy Darnold, it can’t be a good thing.  

Eh. Any thoughts Sam has would be with the old regime, which won't be there anymore so don't think it'd hold much weight. Either way, the money will do the talking.