Can someone please explain Dakota Dozier to me?

Alka

Dozier was drafted by the Jets, right?  We either got rid of him, or let him walk.  I don't think the Jets ever believed in him.

Yesterday, the announcers for the game were saying how Seattle was fortunate to have Dozier back in the lineup, and how he is a big upgrade to whoever was in at right tackle before him.

I continue to scratch my head over players that are let go or we just discard (Andre Roberts) as another example, and they thrive elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, Alka said:

Dozier was drafted by the Jets, right?  We either got rid of him, or let him walk.  I don't think the Jets ever believed in him.

Yesterday, the announcers for the game were saying how Seattle was fortunate to have Dozier back in the lineup, and how he is a big upgrade to whoever was in at right tackle before him.

I continue to scratch my head over players that are let go or we just discard (Andre Roberts) as another example, and they thrive elsewhere.

Dozier is on the Vikings. He is having a nice year as a starter.

Brandon Shell is on the Seahawks. He’s also having a good year but he also has a top 5 QB behind him and that matters.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Brandon Shell is on the Seahawks. He’s also having a good year but he also has a top 5 QB behind him and that matters.

thank you.  Brandon Shell is who i meant to say.

12 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The games I watched earlier in the year, Shell looked bad, I don't really know how he played in the 2nd half.

Dozier, I got nothing on.

Shell isn't all that particularly different today than he was in his time with the Jets.  He was an ok player, but far from great.  He's also missed games due to injury throughout his career, which had already happened with Seattle this year before getting knocked out of the game again yesterday.  His was a position they were looking to upgrade, which was not a bad idea in theory, but it's simply questionable whether that worked out in practice.  As far as the comments about his return, a starter being considered an upgrade over his backup isn't exactly a ground-breaking concept, and the Seahawks don't have the greatest track-record for their OL themselves.

The truth is the reason this jumps out is the idea of a former Jet having any degree of success beyond this team is what is the true outlier of it all.  The overwhelming majority of their players tend to both suck in their time with the Jets, and in their future beyond that as well.  The fact that the second example mentioned of supposed lost talent is a full-time kick/punt returner with a grand total of 5 catches in his two seasons since they let him walk only further speaks to that.  The issue isn't so much their refusal to retain talent, as much as the endless failure to ever acquire it in the first place.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

The seahawks were missing Brandon Shell for the last 2 games and realized he was their offensive key

Seriously.

Carroll basically said so during the pre game pressers

The 40 - 3 score a week after losing to the giants would tend to support the theory

In case you're wondering why these guys are so much better when they leave, it's because they weren't bad in the first place

We scapegoated the line because we didn't want to face what was really wrong with darnold

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

Except for that whole part where he was knocked out of yesterday's game early, so.......

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Alka said:

Count the number of cheap ex-Jets currently starting for other teams.

At some point, it might actually NOT be the talent, but the Coaching.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Or the qb

When you start darnold who can't read defense and doesn't handle pressure, teams blitz more and the line gets blamed

The titans fans blamed their Taylor lewan line to defend mariota etc

It's common among the people who buy qb jerseys to blame it all on the line. Sometimes it's valid but not always.

Here's the list by the way off Jets ol starts

Shell starts RT for Sea
Beachum starts RT for Arz
Dozier starts LG for Min

The following players rotation or start due to injury

K osemele started LG for KC went on IR
Winters rotates RG in BUF (benched last 2 weeks)
Oday Aboushi starts for Vaitai in DET
Calvin Anderson even got a rt start for Denver

Count the number of cheap ex-Jets currently starting for other teams.
At some point, it might actually NOT be the talent, but the Coaching.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

This is just so typical of the Jets the past decade.

Draft a player, he never plays well with the Jets, then goes to another team and finally turns into something.

A reflection of a terrible front office that can't even evaluate the talent on their own roster.  The revolving door of coaching regimes has really hurt too, as we've had good players that were cast aside in new regimes for whatever reason.

This is why nobody in the NFL respects this organization anymore, Woody and his minions don't know their ass from their elbow.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I think you are thinking of Brandon Shell. I always liked Shell, he seemed like he was going to be solid for a long time his first two years. So I am not surprised to see him having success.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Dozier, Winters and Aboushi are all still in the league.

All John Idzik draft picks.

Winters just got benched last week... again. This narrative that every player to leave the Jets has success is a myth. Even the guys you mention are average at best, but really, they’re the same as they were here. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Yeah Dozier’s emergence is partly why we have Elflein at LG lol. I mentioned this irony in another thread 

• Upvote 1

I think we'll be surprised to see how well the Oline plays when they have a competent coaching staff and a QB who knows how to hit the hot read and set protections

G. Fant has been more than adequate at RT, you can knock him for missing games I suppose

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

The seahawks were missing Brandon Shell for the last 2 games and realized he was their offensive key

Seriously.

Carroll basically said so during the pre game pressers

The 40 - 3 score a week after losing to the giants would tend to support the theory

In case you're wondering why these guys are so much better when they leave, it's because they weren't bad in the first place

We scapegoated the line because we didn't want to face what was really wrong with darnold

He just needs better weapons and a perfect game plan, dammit.

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, Drums said:

Winters just got benched last week... again. This narrative that every player to leave the Jets has success is a myth. Even the guys you mention are average at best, but really, they’re the same as they were here. 

I never said they were all pros, they are still in  the league after all this time.

Idzik drafted 4 oline in two drafts, McCagnan drafted 3 in 5 drafts.

23 minutes ago, Icer said:

I think we'll be surprised to see how well the Oline plays when they have a competent coaching staff and a QB who knows how to hit the hot read and set protections

G. Fant has been more than adequate at RT, you can knock him for missing games I suppose

It’s really not a “bad” group if you stuck them on the right team 

43 minutes ago, Drums said:

+1

These are rotational offensive linemen.  They are NFL players, but they are not the answer.  With a couple of solid pieces, guys like that can be very effective.  When they are the best guys on your line you look like we have for the past few years.  

BONUS:  Good to see Dave DeGuglielmo paying dividends for the Giants already!

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, choon328 said:

This is an example of why you don't just give up on guys after a few seasons. Some guys develop later, especially lineman. 

Which of those guys did the Jets "give up on."  Winters got a huge second deal was always hurt and underperformed.  Dozier and Shell left when their deals expired.  Xaverian's own Oday Aboushi served some kind of drug suspension with the Jets (I can't remember if it was PED or substance abuse) and has never played as much as he did with the Jets in 2014.   I was surprised they cut him, but I think he was fairly soft and not what they were looking for.  I honestly think Ijalana and Qvale were better players and that isn't saying much.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, HessStation said:

It’s really not a “bad” group if you stuck them on the right team 

Nope, not at all. Are they top tier group? Of course not but there's plenty of chances for the QB to make a play and score some points. 

If we can upgrade the interior, I think we'll be in good shape moving forward.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Which of those guys did the Jets "give up on."  Winters got a huge second deal was always hurt and underperformed.  Dozier and Shell left when their deals expired.  Xaverian's own Oday Aboushi served some kind of drug suspension with the Jets (I can't remember if it was PED or substance abuse) and has never played as much as he did with the Jets in 2014.   I was surprised they cut him, but I think he was fairly soft and not what they were looking for.  I honestly think Ijalana and Qvale were better players and that isn't saying much.

I forgot Q-Value

who started and played 80% of snaps at LG for Houston during last weeks' loss to CHI 

to answer your question when a drafted player plays well or has potential and they let him walk rather than pay a 2nd deal that's an example of the Jets giving up on a player they drafted 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I never said they were all pros, they are still in  the league after all this time.

Idzik drafted 4 oline in two drafts, McCagnan drafted 3 in 5 drafts.

I know. The word I used was “success,” which does not mean all pros. Winters still sucks though, that stands. Shell is ok. Doz is ok. I don’t miss any of them tbh. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I see every Hawks game because I live in Seattle. Shell is minimally effective here just as he was for the Jets. Difference is that Seattle has a good team and a mobile qb.  Seattle underinvests in its OL because Wilson escapes the pass rush so effectively. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, addage said:

I see every Hawks game because I live in Seattle. Shell is minimally effective here just as he was for the Jets. Difference is that Seattle has a good team and a mobile qb.  Seattle underinvests in its OL because Wilson escapes the pass rush so effectively. 

Seattle underinvests at every position but LT. Duane Brown is a former All Pro who makes like 15 per season 

but you're generally correct they do not pay much for FA starters in fact Shell is making less than Fant is for the Jets  

they do a good job of finding mid-late round contributors like Pocic and Jamarco Jones.