How are you celebrating this year?

AFJF

20 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Working just a little bit harder than I have each of the past 20 years to convince myself that firing the coach means the bad quarterback will be good and so will the team.

I think we are firing 2 out of the 3. Though I’ve often contemplated firing the Jets as whole all together. 

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

How is this? I am at the end of a bottle of doublewood 17 and loved it.

I like it quite a bit, actually.  Got a bottle for my birthday this year and am slowly enjoying it.  Got a nice sweetness to it, and is as mellow, subtle and smooth as all Balvenie seems to be. 

I'll be finishing a years-old bottle of 21-year old Balvenie tonight myself, in celebration of an annual professional accomplishment.

The only real downside of Balvenie is cost.  It pains me to pay their prices for most of their offerings, despite how good they are.  But such is life, you only live once, and you damn well better enjoy it while you can (2020 has shown that all to clearly IMO).

TLDR:  It's a good choice, you won't go wrong if you buy it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I like it quite a bit, actually.  Got a bottle for my birthday this year and am slowly enjoying it.  Got a nice sweetness to it, and is as mellow, subtle and smooth as all Balvenie seems to be. 

I'll be finishing a years-old bottle of 21-year old Balvenie tonight myself, in celebration of an annual professional accomplishment.

The only real downside of Balvenie is cost.  It pains me to pay their prices for most of their offerings, despite how good they are.  But such is life, you only live once, and you damn well better enjoy it while you can (2020 has shown that all to clearly IMO).

TLDR:  It's a good choice, you won't go wrong if you buy it.

Cool.

Yeah, I got that doublewood from a client about 3 years ago. I only pour myself a finger or two on occasion. I love it.

I don’t drink liquor often, but have been on a little bourbon kick. Just finishing off a 3- year old bottle of woodFord reserve and have a gift pack of bulleit waiting for me - it has their rye and regular I guess, came with a yeti tumbler. 

image.jpeg.c344a0d4cf6fd65407617611fc365bd2.jpeg

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Cool.

Yeah, I got that doublewood from a client about 3 years ago. I only pour myself a finger or two on occasion. I love it.

I don’t drink liquor often, but have been on a little bourbon kick. Just finishing off a 3- year old bottle of woodFord reserve and have a gift pack of bulleit waiting for me - it has their rye and regular I guess, came with a yeti tumbler. 

I've always had a thing for glassware with brands I like names on it.  I have a few myself, Glenmorangie, plus a few old antiques I picked up (White Horse Blended, lol).

If you're a Bourbon man, might I humbly suggest this:

IMG_1219_57.JPG?itok=juF6ex5s

Won Bourbon of the Year for Whisky Advocate Magazine (a fav. subscription of mine), and I really enjoyed it.  Best of all, it's cheap as chips, $35 here in VA (including the exorbitant tax NoVA puts on Liquor).

I don't think you'll be disappointed, as good in a cocktail as it is on a single rock.  Enjoy my friend.  Happy Holidays to you and yours.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Crude, but effective... I had in mind...

Pappy-Van-Winkle-15__82900.1470860887.380.507.jpg

I'll be honest, Pappy is probably the most over-rated item in Liquor land.  It's good, sure, but not even remotely worth the exorbitant prices IMO.  A great example of artificial scarcity/marketing over substance.  Smart buyers buy other brands distilled on the very same stills at 1/10,000 the price, lol.  Same argument could be made about many of the Macallan issues.  Good, but just not worth that cost.

Only a buy if you can get it at actual MSRP, not secondary market prices.

3 hours ago, shuler82 said:

With tears of joy while binge drinking NE IPAs until my eyes finally glaze over from scrolling through DWC’s latest manifesto on all the reasons we need to hire his latest favorite coordinator and/or college coach.

I think the OP was asking if you were going to do something different, not your standard daily nights. 

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'll be honest, Pappy is probably the most over-rated item in Liquor land.  It's good, sure, but not even remotely worth the exorbitant prices IMO.  A great example of artificial scarcity/marketing over substance.  Smart buyers buy other brands distilled on the very same stills at 1/10,000 the price, lol.  Same argument could be made about many of the Macallan issues.  Good, but just not worth that cost.

Only a buy if you can get it at actual MSRP, not secondary market prices.

I can clearly tell the difference between Pappy and Knob Creek, Booker's etc, but I agree the experience is not worth paying $2,000 a bottle.  If you manage a price of under $1,000, it is worth it. To me it is.  Though,  IMHO, Blanton's is just about on par with Pappy for far less money.   I'll wrap it up by saying, for me, the Pappy appeal is much like ideal romance.  The splendor is in the mind and not the flesh.  

If you have friends, relatives or business contacts in KY, ask them about local micro batch Bourbon makers that don't sell out of the state.  Antebellum family recipes that are still made the same way.  Just a few barrels a year.  I was gifted a bottle of such a bourbon two years ago.  "Old Wooden Head" it was called.  The most amazing bourbon I have ever experienced. 

54 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I can clearly tell the difference between Pappy and Knob Creek, Booker's etc, but I agree the experience is not worth paying $2,000 a bottle.  If you manage a price of under $1,000, it is worth it. To me it is.  Though,  IMHO, Blanton's is just about on par with Pappy for far less money.   I'll wrap it up by saying, for me, the Pappy appeal is much like ideal romance.  The splendor is in the mind and not the flesh.  

Aye, that was my point (glad you took it the right way).  It's not that Pappy is bad in any way, but $2K a bottle, even $1K a bottle, that's a ton for most folks, myself included.  Beyond ~$250/bottle is generally outside my own willingness to pay, generally.  For many folks I know, it's $50.

It's why I generally try to recommend more generally available/affordable bottles, the kind of stuff folks will enjoy/feel good about, but not miss a mortgage payment for, lol!  It doesn't mean the 40 year old Rosebank I had a taste of on my 40th birthday wasn't worth, to me, the killer price tag I paid for just 3 oz. of it!

• Upvote 1