Trent Dilfer "Justin Fields is also a generational talent."

Jetsbb

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Generational QBs don’t have to transfer in order to get playing time.

He should be drafted in the top 10 along with Wilson and Lance. But he’s not a generational QB. 

Maybe, I didnt think K Murray would ever be considered a MVP type, especially this fast.  

I didnt think that a 3rd round pick by Seattle would be a MVP difference maker, a top of the league QB type either.

20 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Jody Mack from WFAN said that he likes Fields over TL. He says don’t get caught up with Fields recent struggles and look at both of their career college numbers, Fields is the better QB. Personally I don’t agree.

Sorry, but I don't take any Jets' roster building advice from people named "Mac".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jody_McDonald

image.thumb.png.0c69c68205a1a03e93e6b5dcc8b9efdb.png

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Fk Trent Dilfer and everything he stands for. 

He was an absolute awful QB and has became an even worse QB evaluator. 

He once considered Christian Hackenberg as the next Troy Aikman and now he's saying Fields is as good of a prospect as Trevor Lawrence? He's absolutely clueless. 

"Christian Hackenberg, once he gets out of that situation, which is not a good situation at Penn State, scouts and GMs and coaches will drool over Christian Hackenberg," Dilfer said on Wednesday. "He's very, very similar to Troy Aikman. They're the same type of body, thrower, personality, competitors. You go back and look at Troy Aikman coming out and look at Christian Hackenberg, they're very similar. I think it's going to be (Hackenberg) and (Cal junior Jared) Goff. (They) will both go in the top five. There's a bunch of guys that will get talked about, but they're really the two that have franchise-quarterback potential."

He's the reason why I once believed in Hack; fk him because he'll sell anything for a meal ticket!

Wow!  He compared Hackenberg (who couldn't hit the side of a barn) to Aikman (who was one of the most accurate QBs I can ever remember)?!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Maybe, I didnt think K Murray would ever be considered a MVP type, especially this fast.  

I didnt think that a 3rd round pick by Seattle would be a MVP difference maker, a top of the league QB type either.

Then the comment should be Fields “could” be a generational QB. Any of these top 6 or so QBs being drafted could be the next Pat Mahomes. He’s not that right now.

Maybe I’m overthinking it, but to say he’s a generational QB right now implies he’s a Elway, Luck and Manning level prospect. A can’t miss prospect. I don’t hear anyone calling Fields a can’t miss prospect. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Then the comment should be Fields “could” be a generational QB. Any of these top 6 or so QBs being drafted could be the next Pat Mahomes. He’s not that right now.

Maybe I’m overthinking it, but to say he’s a generational QB right now implies he’s a Elway, Luck and Manning level prospect. A can’t miss prospect. I don’t hear anyone calling Fields a can’t miss prospect. 

Fields is far from generational, but he's a safe pick. He'll be good in the NFL. He's the guy for a risk-averse crowd. 

25 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Agree but you dont have to be generational to be elite.  Wilson wasnt a cant miss generational pick in the 3rd round. Rodgers wasnt generational as he fell down the draft board.  Luck was generational while RG3 until he blew his knee out was the one winning playoff games while Luck watched on his TV.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Wow!  He compared Hackenberg (who couldn't hit the side of a barn) to Aikman (who was one of the most accurate QBs I can ever remember)?!

Yes. He did. 

Trent Dilfer is nothing more than a talking tool (especially when talking about Quarterbacks) who will say anything in order to sell a media driven meal ticket. 

Trent Dilfer even mentioning Justin Fields within the same sentence as Trevor Lawrence just goes to show how much of a tool bag he really is. 

He's by far the worst QB evaluator on National TV these days (he stinks worse than Hack). 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Likely Justin, Wilson or both will become the better QBs and Jet fans who wanted Trevor will blame Jacksonville that he failed.

We will be stuck with trash can Darnit and a RT on our way to a middle of the pack record. Well we should be able to get our QB the following year in the middle of the draft but nope most likely we will be trading up out of desperation in typical Jets fashion.

And to everyone who wanted that RT I’m taking notes, when one or more of these QBs selected in the first round(not named Trevor) turns out to be a stud, the meltdown pack pedaling WILL BE LEGENDARY ??

i hate this stupid team ?

This is right.

When all is said and done JD is going to take one of the QB’s.  Unless he’s totally confidence they’ll both be busts..

I am extremely confident and would bet big money that Fields busts big time. The only QB worth considering in this draft other than Lawrence is Wilson who has Rodgers type of upside. If not Wilson then Douglas can bet his career on Darnold but we know how that will end up especially if he pairs him with a head coach like Lewis or Martindale.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Nobody including Lawrence is a can't miss prospect. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Agree but you dont have to be generational to be elite.  Wilson wasnt a cant miss generational pick in the 3rd round. Rodgers wasnt generational as he fell down the draft board.  Luck was generational while RG3 until he blew his knee out was the one winning playoff games while Luck watched on his TV.   

This is what scouts can never assess correctly. It's almost like a game of fortune-telling. 

If i'm a scout, i'll sit down and look at a player's body of work from year 1-year 'x'. Based on this, i'll come up with a prediction for his NFL career. 

But can a body of work from a specific time-frame be indicative of anything the player could potentially accomplish from year 'x'-year 'y'?

There's so many variables. Some guys are better in NFL than in college, some guys improve over time, some guys find the secret sauce (Josh allen this year!). You can't legislate for that. 

Eliteness isn't a birthright, you can become elite. At least that's the American dream. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2020 at 7:24 AM, Butterfield said:

Trent Dilfer?  How is his opinion relevant?

Because Trent Dilfer is smart and he knows the game of football, a game he has been associated with his entire life. He played QB in College and the Pro's and he now analyses the game and the position for a living. What exactly are your credentials to make such a comment ?

Most if not all the QB guru's out there pretty much failed at the game and went into coaching because they know the game from the mental aspect some have the gift of being able to teach the position just like some have the gift of playing the position.

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

Because Trent Dilfer is smart and he knows the game of football, a game he has been associated with his entire life. He played QB in College and the Pro's and he now analyses the game and the position for a living. What exactly are your credentials to make such a comment ?

Most if not all the QB guru's out there pretty much failed at the game and went into coaching because they know the game from the mental aspect some have the gift of being able to teach the position just like some have the gift of playing the position.

Trent Dilfer?  Smart?  You lost me there.  

The Indiana game was a good barometer of what I have been saying about Fields. They Blitz a lot therefore putting pressure on the QB and they have a good secondary. What did Fields do ? He made mistakes and some really poor decisions. That's the only thing about his game that scares me.

When he Played Clemson last year while he did pass the ball well he made a few ill advised throws in that game as well. Lawrence in that same game didn't pass the ball particularly well but he avoided the mistakes and that was the difference in the game. Lawrence was under tremendous pressure the entire game which caused a lot of his throws to be off the mark yet he still found a way. Fields was not under as much pressure but when the pressure did come when he needed to make a play he had a certain pick six deep in his own territory dropped by the defense and could not drive them to victory when they needed it. Under Pressure Fields is a different player problem is we just don't get to see it that much.

Both these games were an indication of what Fields may do in the pro's, not the fact that he lights it up vs inferior opponents, which we see a lot of college QB's do on a regular basis. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

If Trent Diffler was actually smart and knew the game of football, he wouldn't be watching the game from the same vantage point as us: on a couch with a bag of cheese puffs. He'd be hired by an NFL team. 

If you're on the outside looking in, your opinion isn't all that useful. You're just a spectator. Pro credentials notwithstanding. 

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Have you seen the quarterbacks coming out of Ohio St

Thats the absolute worst indicator of what a QB will be.  Before Elway who out of Stanford was worth a damn, before Marino how many QBs came out of Pitt?  Who wants anyone out of Alabama yet Namath and Stabler are in the HOF

If we hire Greg Roman, I think our chances of drafting Justin Fields rise exponentially.

I’d rather pass on Roman and/Fields.

Majority of our coaches candidates will probably want to trade down + keep Sam with a “mulligan year” for that HC in case Darnold still suck. “Hey I didn’t draft Darnold, but with these extra draft picks we can get our guy we like in 2022.”

It will take a coach with vision and confidence to take Wilson at 2, something is rarely known for. 

4 hours ago, predator_05 said:

If Trent Diffler was actually smart and knew the game of football, he wouldn't be watching the game from the same vantage point as us: on a couch with a bag of cheese puffs. He'd be hired by an NFL team. 

If you're on the outside looking in, your opinion isn't all that useful. You're just a spectator. Pro credentials notwithstanding. 

Maybe Dilfer never wanted to coach and deal with all the crap that goes along with it. Ask Bill Cowher if he likes his cushy Job at the network where he gets to go home to his family every day rather than never being home and traveling constantly. Do you really think Dilfer would make more money being a QB coach than his current job ? 

He's certainly NOT watching the games at the same vantage point as us since he gets paid plenty of money to watch said games you and I do not. You and I don't spend all of our time evaluating QB's either. We don't get to interview them and talk to them when we so choose and we certainly don't get to tutor them at a QB camp either. So you may want to rethink your response to say I just don't like Trent Dilfer and I don't care for his opinion rather than make stuff up to fit the narrative that Dilfer does not know what he's doing. Dilfer knows exactly what he's talking about when it comes to the QB position and just like every GM on the Planet he does not know the one thing we all do not seem to know and that's how will all that talent translate to the speed of the NFL QB and how he handles pressure on just about every play. He evaluates Talent not brain power.

4 hours ago, Butterfield said:

I don’t have anything against the guy.  I just disagree.  He was a crappy qb and analyst.  Don’t respect his opinion at all.  

That's cool man I can respect the fact you don't like the guy or his opinion. But keep in mind when he won that SB with the Ravens he pretty much played mistake free football knowing all he had to do was play smart and that's exactly what he did he played within his talent and didn't try to do too much. That had just as big an impact as the defense because if he was turning the ball over like an Idiot in the playoff run the Ravens might never have won the SB because turnovers lose games.

On 12/25/2020 at 7:54 AM, predator_05 said:

Fields is far from generational, but he's a safe pick. He'll be good in the NFL. He's the guy for a risk-averse crowd. 

just was wondering whats the big diff between jalen hurts and justin fields? that JH was playig on better teams with other NFL prospects alongside? ran a bit more?

and it was always curious if jalen could translateto NFL. so far. pretty good. iggles look better

6 hours ago, predator_05 said:

This is what scouts can never assess correctly. It's almost like a game of fortune-telling. 

If i'm a scout, i'll sit down and look at a player's body of work from year 1-year 'x'. Based on this, i'll come up with a prediction for his NFL career. 

But can a body of work from a specific time-frame be indicative of anything the player could potentially accomplish from year 'x'-year 'y'?

There's so many variables. Some guys are better in NFL than in college, some guys improve over time, some guys find the secret sauce (Josh allen this year!). You can't legislate for that. 

Eliteness isn't a birthright, you can become elite. At least that's the American dream. 

good post.  

we dont know the future.

its not like taking a new car ona full tank and then figuring outthe gas mileage you should be getting afetr you filler back up. 

Trent Dilfer "Justin Fields is also a generational talent."

Yeah, yeah, and every other player on the field is the hardest worker on the field. Every guy is the first to show up and the last to leave the building. Blah, blah, blah. Hell, even before we lost by winning one whole game some people were starting to mention TL not having the strongest arm, but could make all the throws. The NFL hype machine is just something else sometimes.

On 12/24/2020 at 9:22 AM, GangGreened said:

Ah I remember his gushing about Sanchez like it was yesterday. “If Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, Matt Stafford etc were all in a car together, Mark would be the one DRIVING”

such an alpha 

Yeah, probably off a cliff.... 

• Upvote 1