What do you think of this mock draft?

11 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Could you imagine if Joe Douglas passed on a QB this year to stick with Sam Darnold and Sam has the same type of year next year as he did this year? Douglas will go immediately on the hot seat if he isn't fired. Especially if Fields and/or Wilson look good. 

I just can't see Douglas not taking a QB with the number 2 overall pick. 

I believe you are setting yourself up for disappointment.  It is very probable that JD trades down. Not sure the haul the OP suggests is realistic but I can see something like it occurring.  

I tell you what.  I’ll agree to this trade right now if the rest of this guys projected 1st round comes true. 

But I’ve got a better chance of finding a leprechaun riding a unicorn today than Kyle Pitts falling to the Jets at pick #27.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

I believe you are setting yourself up for disappointment.  It is very probable that JD trades down. Not sure the haul the OP suggests is realistic but I can see something like it occurring.  

He passes on Fields he eventually loses his job. Macc passed on Wilson (career mistake). Not getting a coach here that wants to fix Sam Darnold & pay him. 

New coach will want to mold Justin Fields similar to what the Bills did with Allen & the Ravens with Jackson. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Make this trade, roll with Sam. Finish his rookie contract cheap. 
if he sucks you we take our QB next year.  Hi s he doesn’t your team is loaded with talented. 
font draft defense with any of it. Build a dominant offense.  

He does suck. It's been proven with reasonable certainty. We draft all these guys, that can be good, but hard to develop weaponz when you have the league-worst QB. Would need to draft someone else lower or bring in a competent vet.

43 minutes ago, freestater said:

What kind of mental gymnastics do you have to do to think trading down and forgoing a QB is a good idea because you can get a bunch of picks that you can use to trade up later and pick a QB if you have to?

It makes sense if you think Fields will be a bust. Rolling with Sam is the part I don't like, however. If JD doesn't like Fields and trades down, then you still need to either draft a QB you like or bring in a vet of some sort. I wouldn't go for an expensive guy like Stafford -- not with this team where it is -- but instead a gap QB like a Minshew.

9 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

I wouldn't say probable. I only know of 1 example of a GM traded out of top 2 when he needed a QB -- Sashi Brown. He was fired the next season, I believe.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-crabbs-4.0

San_Francisco_49ers_logo.svg.png
49ers

Zach Wilson

QB, BYU

TRADE: San Francisco trades 2021 1st & 2nd round picks, 2022 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks & 2023 3rd round pick to New York (Jets) for No. 2 overall

The 49ers make a big splash. The Jets make a shocking move. Welcome to pandemonium, everyone!

On board only if the Jets have secured Darnold's replacement via FA.

11 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

49ers

Zach Wilson

QB, BYU

TRADE: San Francisco trades 2021 1st & 2nd round picks, 2022 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks & 2023 3rd round pick to New York (Jets) for No. 2 overall

The 49ers make a big splash. The Jets make a shocking move. Welcome to pandemonium, everyone!

This would be so awesome.  

11 hours ago, jgb said:

So what’s the argument here? That Sam will suck hard enough to get us another premium pick next season? Not exactly an endorsement.

Yes - that's the whole plan.

"Hey, if you guys are right that the QB that has sucked for three years continues to suck, we'll be able to pick the top QB next year.  But, what if he doesn't?"

And then we pretend it's not the exact same plan as:

"Hey, we still need to see what we have in Hackenberg.  If it doesn't work out, we'll just draft Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen next year.  Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahommes aren't perfect prospects either, you know!"

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, jgb said:

So what’s the argument here? That Sam will suck hard enough to get us another premium pick next season? Not exactly an endorsement.

The Jets are in a win win situation. If Darnold sucks, yes we find ourselves with a high pick plus and embarrassing  amount of other high picks. If Sam takes a step forward and plays well, then we may have a FQB without drafting one with as much risk as this group has. 

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The Jets are in a win win situation. If Darnold sucks, yes we find ourselves with a high pick plus and embarrassing  amount of other high picks. If Sam takes a step forward and plays well, then we may have a FQB without drafting one with as much risk as this group has. 

Jets are in a win-win situation.  We've got a future All-Pro safety now.  If Hackenberg sucks, we can just take a QB next year, when Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen will be available.

Add a 3rd rounder this year and Jimmy Garoppolo and you have a deal.  

Something like:

2021 1, 2, 3; 2022 1, 3; 2023 2, 3 and Jimmy Garoppolo.  

That would give the jets 6 1st round picks in the next 3 years, plus 5 2nd round picks and 7 3rd round picks, plus the first pick in the 4th this year.  That is the kind of infusion of talent the jets need.  

47 minutes ago, jgb said:

He does suck. It's been proven with reasonable certainty. We draft all these guys, that can be good, but hard to develop weaponz when you have the league-worst QB. Would need to draft someone else lower or bring in a competent vet.

Yeah, I'm not in love with the idea of Sam either. I guess I would be more indifferent than anything else. 

Want to go out and spend a fortune on Dak - I'm all for it, sign Minscrew - sure, trade for Stafford - great, get SF to include Garoppolo - works - there are probably a dozen reasonable options.

But that's a franchise changing haul - and if you don't LOVE any one QB then you do it.

Point is, load up on talent - have a place holder for a year or two and find your QB.  And if one of those guys work out, great.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Jets are in a win-win situation.  We've got a future All-Pro safety now.  If Hackenberg sucks, we can just take a QB next year, when Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen will be available.

So we ignore the 2 horrible HC's in 3 years, absolutely  no supporting cast at skill positions, playing behind an OL that  can't  pass block, and the guy contracting Mono on top of it all. I know Sam has also not played well aamof he has played badly, but there is no way anyone can say we had a fair observation of this guy. Garbage in, garbage out. 

I would like to know once and for all if this guy can play with a good HC and players around him. Lawrence has shown he ? the bed in big games and we really have too small a sample size on Fields and Wilson. The other QB's are not worth the 2nd overall

12 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

49ers

Zach Wilson

QB, BYU

Why avoid the elite game changing prospects when we already have a ton of picks and a QB is a need? We have a ton of picks this year and next year and Joe D will most likely trade back for a few more later. We need impact players. If he trades back to 4 or 5 I would be fine with that if he doesn't want a QB. Also, if he doesn't go QB and we have to the following year we'll have to use up the resources we already have in a weaker QB class. The best way to make the most of your resources in a year when you have 3 high picks is to take the QB at 2 and build around him with all of the other picks and in FA. Otherwise we'll be giving up picks to get our QB in subsequent years.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

What is this infatuation with trading back for more draft picks? We just saw a guy who lost a CFC before by throwing an interception, play half a schedule due to Covid, play a game with 22 players out on his team & not play well but will them to victory, then in this years semi final vs a team that lost 1 game because their QB was out and aniliate them by throwing for 6 TDs, one a bomb that traveled 62 yards in the air, and finish a game inwhich he was speared & injured (a hit that probably would have cracked Zack Wilson in half), a guy with all the intangibles required to do well in this new NFL, size (6-4"), Arm strength (2 long TDs vs Clemson), speed (probably run a 4.4 at the combine), can run, can throw on the run & is tough as nails! 

So we already have 18 draft picks over the next 2 years, we'll have almost 100 million in free agency, so let's trade back & if we can't solve our QB problems, we'll reset next year by moving up in the draft for a QB. 

WTF? 

This is exactly the situation that seems to be set up purposefully. We have a boatload of early picks. We have a ton of cap space. People say we don't have the roster for a new QB if they're in favor of trading back. We have all the ammunition we need to change that. There are 22 starters. Let's say we have 6 guys who are building blocks. (Mostly the d-line, Becton, Maye and Mims) If you have another 5 or 6 who can be role players and be serviceable (the Hewitts, McGoverns, Jenkins and Fants of the team) then you're looking at improving the team by about 10-12 starters. If you can hit on 3 draft picks and get 2 decent free agents you've cut the margin down to 7-5. You can compete in that range. Another year with a few more picks and it narrows further. We're in the perfect position to take the QB now. Especially when QB play is one of the huge holes holding you back. 

• Post of the Week 2

35 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, I'm not in love with the idea of Sam either. I guess I would be more indifferent than anything else. 

Want to go out and spend a fortune on Dak - I'm all for it, sign Minscrew - sure, trade for Stafford - great, get SF to include Garoppolo - works - there are probably a dozen reasonable options.

But that's a franchise changing haul - and if you don't LOVE any one QB then you do it.

Point is, load up on talent - have a place holder for a year or two and find your QB.  And if one of those guys work out, great.

We are fine with picks already this year and next year. We need elite players to get us over the top. Elite players create a winning culture and Super Bowl Championships. Go QB and you have plenty of resources to build around him. Our O-line took a while to gel, but it stone walled the top D and played decent last week against Cleveland. We can improve it even more in FA and the draft to make it great. We have the resources and a lot of young depth is on the team already.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Greensleeves said:

We are fine with picks already this year and next year. We need elite players to get us over the top. Elite players create a winning culture and Super Bowl Championships. Go QB and you have plenty of resources to build around him. Our O-line took a while to gel, but it stone walled the top D and played decent last week against Cleveland. We can improve it even more in FA and the draft to make it great. We have the resources and a lot of young depth is on the team already.

I agree.  Elite players are found throughout the first and second round.  

This gives us 3 more picks in that window.  All from moving from 2 to 15.  Plenty of elite prospects are found around 15.

Now, if you love one of the QB's and believe them to be a consistent top 10 potential guy - then you have to take him, but no other position player should warrant taking over such a haul.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

So we ignore the 2 horrible HC's in 3 years, absolutely  no supporting cast at skill positions, playing behind an OL that  can't  pass block, and the guy contracting Mono on top of it all. I know Sam has also not played well aamof he has played badly, but there is no way anyone can say we had a fair observation of this guy. Garbage in, garbage out. 

I would like to know once and for all if this guy can play with a good HC and players around him. Lawrence has shown he ? the bed in big games and we really have too small a sample size on Fields and Wilson. The other QB's are not worth the 2nd overall

Those are all good reasons the Jets aren’t successful.  They may be reasons why Sam hasn’t been great.  They are NOT reasons he’s consistently been worst in the league bad.  If he was capable of being great, we’d know it.  At this point, average is a leap forward.

And frankly, as for coaching, you understand there is no set of circumstances in which the people blaming coaching for Darnold will accept that the next coach is good, but Darnold isn’t.  You get that, right?  The next coach will just be bad too.

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

am sure ur righgt that the Stafford 9 million is likely more complex. I agree that he is underrated too. whcih is why i keep bringing him up!

the whiole trading down and going for Trey still fascinates me too cos its so risky and we'd all be flabbergasted. and we'd get a crazy haul of picks that would utterly ,radically transform the roster. and we'd be thinking is JD insane, or a mad genius.

happy w/ Fields or Zach @ #2...    if Lawrence i go sadistic and hope he flops.

Why is that again? To teach the Darnold fan boys a lesson? 

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

There is now considerable risk with all of these QB's including Lawrence. I have no problem waiting for the 22 crop of "generational QB's"

That risk will always be there. But this year at least we have the second pick of them without trading up. If there is ever a slam dunk #1 guess what: that pick won't be for sale at any price.

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

IF he sucks? He has already shown that he does. Another year with him is not only a lost year but also one where our weaponz can't develop due to league-worst QB play. I want to get off the carousel of excuses ("Can't judge the QB due to weaponz," "Can't judge the weaponz due to HC," etc. etc.). 

Sam is not the answer. 99.5% probability he never will be. A very bad bet for the Jets and for JD's career. He'd have rocks in his sack and head to have another year of Sam.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

That's the key -- if JD doesn't love Fields, he may well seek to trade down. But if that means another year of Sam... well, it won't. I can say there is no way JD goes into 2021 with Sam as presumptive starter. Even if he's on the team JD will and must bring in another option.

Still think there is a very tiny chance JD trades down. A swap with Bengals is all I can see if he can squeeze a free late-rounder from Bengals by bluffing. This is what Gettleman should've done to Macc FYI.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jgb said:

IF he sucks? He has already shown that he does. Another year with him is not only a lost year but also one where our weaponz can't develop due to league-worst QB play. I want to get off the carousel of excuses ("Can't judge the QB due to weaponz," "Can't judge the weaponz due to HC," etc. etc.). 

Sam is not the answer. 99.5% probability he never will be. A very bad bet for the Jets and for JD's career. He'd have rocks in his sack and head to have another year of Sam.

After today's game I agree. Sam was starting g to look better but after today, bring on whoever Jax doesn't  pick

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

After today's game I agree. Sam was starting g to look better but after today, bring on whoever Jax doesn't  pick

Well 40 games didn’t convince you but glad one did lol just bustin chops, man. Seriously though — there is no evidence that Darnold is salvageable. He’s putting a buck on a 5,000-1 glue nag at this point.

Love it. Immediately after the trade is completed you have 5 first round picks and 4 second round picks in the next two drafts plus however many 3rds. That is plenty of ammunition to trade back up if you want to go get a QB in the 2022 draft. There is also a good chance to trade down some more and accumulate even more picks. Build this team up. 

21 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Could you imagine if Joe Douglas passed on a QB this year to stick with Sam Darnold and Sam has the same type of year next year as he did this year? Douglas will go immediately on the hot seat if he isn't fired. Especially if Fields and/or Wilson look good. 

I just can't see Douglas not taking a QB with the number 2 overall pick. 

How about with the second 1st rd pick?