Fields longevity in NFL

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

my biggest question with fields is, how good is he with basic slants, sideline timing throws, etc.  i haven't watched a lot of him, and his deep ball is great.  

Incredible at it. Good enough to open the season with 90% completion through 3 games. The guy is a prodigious thrower of the football.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Clemson was 5th in sacks/game. Indiana 15th.  Penn State 50th. So half his games he played a top 50 pass rush.

i just watched fields vs indiana.  educational to watch.  he had 3 picks, 2 were darnold-esque where he should have eaten the ball for a sack but chucked it up there expecting his guy to go get it and it was a jump ball.  so there's some decision making to fix but in fairness to him he's probably used to his guys making every play so he may have figured i'll chuck it up anyway.  indiana's pass rush is legit, gave him fits all game.  yet fields can buy time and avoid a rush and eats up easy yards on scrambles.  needs to protect his body more as we saw vs clemson.  

only negative i saw was that he usually locks onto his 1st target, but again in fairness to him that guy is usually open so why go through your progressions when you get the easy completion to target #1.

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Clemson was 5th in sacks/game. Indiana 15th.  Penn State 50th. So half his games he played a top 50 pass rush.

Northwestern game he was under duress and did not pay well. He could have played the Clemson game in a tuxedo.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

With all this QB talk it sounds like a lose-lose situation. Fields with his inconsistent play, Wilson with his small frame and injury history, and 3 years of subpar Darnold. Bottomline no QB is a sure thing even Trevor Lawrence. You know where I stand. I’ve seen enough of Sam and it’s time for a change. It’s a shame cause when he was drafted I thought we finally found our franchise QB. Good kid and team player but it just didn’t work out. I hope JD realizes that and moves on. 

Fields is anything but inconsistent. Geez. The guy has only had two bad games in his career - one when the team was without 3 OL players and 22 overall were out for the game. He had a bad thumb in his throwing hand as well. Having a historic game when you are under intense pressure with the amazing toughness and leadership he showed - that's more than enough for me. The last gutsy performance I can remember was Watson's - and we passed on him. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MysticalJet2 said:

So I fully admit I have not watched many games of Fields.  I did watch the Clemson game and there are several things that stood out as positives

1) Accuracy was spot on

2) Dual threat was able to keep Clemson on their heels

3) Toughness - not doubt he will grit it out

4) Strong arm, but it didn't seem to be a cannon.  Deep passes looked nice.

My biggest concern after watching is his longevity in the NFL.  He took some pretty good pops during that game while running the ball.  Although pretty fast for a QB, his running style reminds me of Cam Newton.  Not as shifty as Russell Wilson, not as quick as Mahomes, and certainly not as fast a Lamar.  Cam over the years has taken a beating and has impacted his on the field health and productivity.

For those that have watched Fields throughout his college, is this a legitimate concern?  and what are your thoughts.

It really depends on what they ask him to be as QB and what offense they employ.  If he's more of a passing QB that can run like Wilson is in Sea , he'll be fine. If they deploy him like Jackson in Bal or Cam initially in Carolina - run first and then throw when needed it becomes a bigger concern.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Not sure why concern that Fields would be another Cam Newton is a dig, either. Can Newton — in his prime — was very often the best player on the field something the Jets can’t say about any of its QBs since? His MVP/SB year he had the worst weaponz in recent memory and he put that team on his back and willed it to overachieve. Was he perfect? No. Did he win a ring? No. But if Fields is Cam Newton part deux, that’s a homerun.

I'm ok with Fields being compared to Cam as long as he doesn't dress like RuPaul and isn't a douche.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

It really depends on what they ask him to be as QB and what offense they employ.  If he's more of a passing QB that can run like Wilson is in Sea , he'll be fine. If they deploy him like Jackson in Bal or Cam initially in Carolina - run first and then throw when needed it becomes a bigger concern.

he reminds me more of a bigger desean watson.

2 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

With all this QB talk it sounds like a lose-lose situation. Fields with his inconsistent play, Wilson with his small frame and injury history, and 3 years of subpar Darnold. Bottomline no QB is a sure thing even Trevor Lawrence. You know where I stand. I’ve seen enough of Sam and it’s time for a change. It’s a shame cause when he was drafted I thought we finally found our franchise QB. Good kid and team player but it just didn’t work out. I hope JD realizes that and moves on. 

:dohslap: not this crap again. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Not that I want to speak of his name but as a Penn State fan, this is exactly what happened to Christian Hackenberg in college. Due was on an absolute tear and looked like a star and then his OL graduated and those who replaced him were not near the same level of talent. 

he took so many unnecessary hits the next 2 years and started playing scared in my opinion. 

Not that they are the same QB by any means, but that’s always been the eye opener for me and believing you need to solidify the line for anyone to have success. 

I think your missing a key component around this with some guys named Sandusky and Paterno. So many PSU players transferred out , Hackenberg for some reason decided to stay and yes that resulted in him getting pummeled .