Arthur Smith vs Aaron Glenn?

Smith or Glenn?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. If it came down to Titans OC Arthur Smith or Saints DB Coach Aaron Glenn, I would........

• STRONGLY PREFER SMITH
    • Prefer Smith
    • Either one would be a similarly good (or bad) choice
    • Prefer Glenn
    • STRONGLY PREFER GLENN

Not saying Glenn should be hired, but his credentials include

15 year NFL Career

2 years working as a personnel assistant for the Jets

2 years as an assistant DB coach for the Browns

5 years as a DB coach for the Saints

So, again, not saying he should be hired, but there are a lot of people interviewing for HC jobs right now that can't sniff his jock in terms of experience and street cred with players

For example, Rams DC Brandon Staley never played in the NFL, has been an NFL Assistant for 4 years (3 as a LB coach and a coordinator for 1 year)

• Upvote 1

I have no idea how ready either of them are for this kind of job.  Glenn's coaching career suggests this is too soon for him, but again...  I have to have faith in Douglas and Johnsons to make a good hire.  The Johnsons have failed time and time again.  We fans are at the mercy of their stupidity unless Douglas is able to steer it all in the right direction.

• Upvote 2

Prefer (not strongly) Smith. To me, Glenn is a complete unknown at that level of responsibility. He's a position group level coach. Now, the respect he's been shown and his Parcells roots do make him attractive. I just don't see that huge of a jump. He could be paired with a Marvin Lewis asst. HC. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Is anyone else in the NFL interviewing Glenn for a HC spot?

If not, it's not likely a serious interview here, but a "help an ex-Jet get some spotlight" move/leak, so he (Glenn) might get a sniff a D-Co somewhere.

I think it's that, or even "sniff at someone to see if  they may be a decent suggestion for a higher up defensive coaching position.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

15 year NFL Career

So, again, not saying he should be hired, but there are a lot of people interviewing for HC jobs right now that can't sniff his jock in terms of experience and street cred with players

For example, Rams DC Brandon Staley never played in the NFL, has been an NFL Assistant for 4 years (3 as a LB coach and a coordinator for 1 year)

I'm not sure that the NFL career really means anything when it comes to success as a Head Coach, not even really sure it should be looked at as part of their "resume", to be honest.  Some of the greatest all time never played in the NFL, Lombardi, Brown, Walsh, Belicheck, and many more as well.  I dont know if Glenn will be a great hire or not just sayin, not sure the player part matters all that much.

What I like about Smith's resume is that he's worked his way up all with the Titans.  Been there since 2011, survived 4 different HC's and has had been very successful as an OC.  The offense was 27/25 in yards/points under Matt LaFleur.  Since Smith has taken over; 10/12 and 4/2.  That's pretty solid.  I know he's got great talent but you cant argue that type of production/improvement. 

That said, I voted indifferent.  I cant act like I know who will be the best HC of these coordinators/position coaches.

• Upvote 3

I choose to hope the Jets might just be slightly ahead if the curve on Glenn, and are checking him out to see if he is ready.

It's not unprecedented -  years ago the Jets interviewed Jim Harbaugh and Frank Reich back before anyone else was showing interest in them.

Better to get in slightly too early on a guy than slightly too late.

Glenn is a good coach and has had some buzz in articles as a future HC, so it doesn't hurt to see what he has to say - you never know, he might just wow JD&Co and make the decision easy.

• Upvote 1

It’s difficult to choose who I prefer not knowing who they can get for their staff. If someone like Glenn is perceived as a good leader and he has a couple of solid coordinators lined up that have some head coaching experience he could very well be a viable candidate. This is true with all of the candidates though. Who are you proposing as coordinators, what is your offensive and defensive philosophy? Because of this I voted indifferent.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I think it's that, or even "sniff at someone to see if  they may be a decent suggestion for a higher up defensive coaching position.

Yep, that could be it too, although that seems less likely since (I presume) Douglas will want his next Head Coach to select or help select the D-Co under them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

15 year NFL Career

Better not look at Joe Brady's experience then.  Dude was a grad assistant in college just 4 years ago.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

What’s so great about Smith? He’s got Derrick Henry and showed no imagination in adjusting yesterday.

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned more.  I have to think Smith took a hit yesterday.  I know it's just one game, and BAL has a good defense, but TEN just didn't seem to be able to figure anything out at all.  They had no issues in November so did he get outcoached?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Better not look at Joe Brady's experience then.  Dude was a grad assistant in college just 4 years ago.

No knock on Brady, but I'm just saying let's not use the "no experience" tag on Glenn when he is probably seen by NFL execs as having at least as much if not more than some of the so called "hot names" right now

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Smith has been successful at a position with a higher level of responsibility. I'd bet on experience, here. Although would be a really nice story for Glenn to come back to NY as HC.

Again though, we’re not hiring Arthur to call plays. Nor to be the mastermind of our offense. Certainly his philosophy and schemes could go along way, but I’m still surprised at how many of you are chasing playcaller experience as a reason for placing these people into head-coaching jobs

The truth is our musings have never been more irrelevant. We know nothing about these individual’s disposition as leaders and their personalities. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Again though, we’re not hiring Arthur to call plays. Nor to be the mastermind of our offense. Certainly his philosophy and schemes could go along way, but I’m still surprised at how many of you are chasing playcaller experience as a reason for placing these people into head-coaching jobs

The truth is our musings have never been more irrelevant. We know nothing about these individual’s disposition as leaders and their personalities. 

It's not play-calling responsibilities per se, it's having significant game-impacting responsibilities, period. It's not perfect but people get promoted (usually) for succeeding at their previous jobs, even if there isn't much overlap in skills from one position to the next. There's no evidence that Bieniemy can even manage a clock. And that is an important area that does overlap with being a coordinator and HC.

there was an article on here about Glenn and his relationship with Parcells. i suggest if you didnt read it to read it. might change your mind on him.

Bill coached him, helped him be a coach. that thing where Bill got him a dollhouse and wrote the names of WRs he would be playing and getting on him if he was going to give them a room in his house. that was Genius.

he never coached for Bill so hes not part of his coaching tree. but there is a great relationship there. Bill Parcells has had a great influence on him. i believe they also wrote how Bill still calls Glenn today when his DBs have a rough game.

i believe he will bring that tough Parcells discipline to the Jets. he gets my vote

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

It's not play-calling responsibilities per se, it's having significant game-impacting responsibilities, period. It's not perfect but people get promoted (usually) for succeeding at their previous jobs, even if there isn't much overlap in skills from one position to the next. There's no evidence that Bieniemy can even manage a clock. And that is an important area that does overlap with being a coordinator and HC.

I understand, agreed about EB....  Maybe the better way to say what I mean is; if they're being considered as Head Coaches (getting interviews) than we have to assume there's perceived competence... and play calling isn't necessarily difference maker say - between Aaron Glenn and Arthur Smith. It's not a deciding factor like it would be in a discussion like Arthur Smith vs the OC for a team like the NYJ... 

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I understand, agreed about EB....  Maybe the better way to say what I mean is; if they're being considered as Head Coaches (getting interviews) than we have to assume there's perceived competence... and play calling isn't necessarily difference maker say - between Aaron Glenn and Arthur Smith. It's not a deciding factor like it would be in a discussion like Arthur Smith vs the OC for a team like the NYJ... 

He's a hot name and Jets are casting a wide net, doing their due diligence. I have no idea how the Jets conduct their interviews but many/most teams do a fair amount of hypotheticals to put the candidate "on the spot." What do you do in this situation? That situation? Like anything, managing situational football is a learned skill. He may just come off as a guy who hasn't developed enough there because he hasn't had to do it before in game situations.

• Upvote 1